Structural Discrimination

Andy_Anderson

At first i thought this video must be a goof but apparently its for real. A virginia high school is showing this as part of their black history awareness month. I can only conclude the main message is to fill black students with a feeling of hopelessness and white students with an overwhelming sense of guilt. How uplifting!

At first i thought this video must be a goof but apparently its for real. A virginia high school is showing this as part of their black history awareness month. I can only conclude the main message is to fill black students with a feeling of hopelessness and white students with an overwhelming sense of guilt. How uplifting!

I'm surprised Hilary and the Bern haven't used this yet as part of their campaign message.  :lol:

This is a small part of what I was trying to explain to Netshadey. He thinks everyone has the same opportunities.

In general Netshady is right, the difference between success and failure lies mainly in a persons desire followed closely by their ability.

Where there's the will. there's always a way.

In general Netshady is right, the difference between success and failure lies mainly in a persons desire followed closely by their ability.

I can't agree with Netshady because he is perfectly fine with cops killing unarmed criminals.  I understand why folks become criminals.  They grow up in a suppressed environment and soon learn that they are behind in everything.  Everybody wants to get ahead, correct?  For you and I, getting ahead means working hard and or going to college.  For a lot of these underprivileged kids, getting ahead means resorting to criminal activities and or joining gangs.  They've been mentally routed in that direction since birth and for them to break out of it - is a miracle. 

I grew up in the hood so I know how these kids feel.  I could have easily been another statistic but my parents raised me well and pushed me hard in the direction of education. 

Nobody wants to grow up to become a criminal.  That behavior and mentality were ingrained into them by their parents, peers, and social environment.  Like I said to Netshady, only the smartest, strongest, and most talented make it out of the hood.  The rest will resort to criminal behavior, be on government assistance, or work for Walmart....And until you've worn their shoes, you cannot possibly know the struggles they go through and how they feel and why they chose a life of crime.  

And the folks who run this country understands that and that is why affirmative action was passed into law - which still does not solve the problem but it is a step in the right direction. 

I don't need Netshady to care for these criminals.  I just want Netshady to understand why folks become criminals. 

I don't agree with the victim scenario m8.

It's easier to sell drugs for a living than it is to find a job and haul your *** off to work five days a week.

It's easier to steal a car than it is to go without in order to make that monthly payment.

It's easier to buy stolen **** for a fraction of the cost than it is to save up and visit the store.

The reason 95% of people turn to crime is because its easier than the alternative, the alternative being hard work and sacrifice.

I've lived in some of the worse places in England m8, among some of the poorest in society, and i agree that there are some who desperately want to escape that life and who need help to do that, so up to a point i agree with your previous post, but, my experience tells me that a large percentage would still choose a life of crime no matter what help is offered simply because it's a lifestyle they enjoy and it's their choice to live that way.

I don't agree with the victim scenario m8.

It's easier to sell drugs for a living than it is to find a job and haul your *** off to work five days a week.

It's easier to steal a car than it is to go without in order to make that monthly payment.

It's easier to buy stolen **** for a fraction of the cost than it is to save up and visit the store.

The reason 95% of people turn to crime is because its easier than the alternative, the alternative being hard work and sacrifice.

I've lived in some of the worse places in England m8, among some of the poorest in society, and i agree that there are some who desperately want to escape that life and who need help to do that, so up to a point i agree with your previous post, but, my experience tells me that a large percentage would still choose a life of crime no matter what help is offered simply because it's a lifestyle they enjoy and it's their choice to live that way.

I can agree to a certain degree but let's take a look at some of your examples.

Wouldn't you agree a typical person would have chosen to better himself if life was easier to begin with...?

And don't get me wrong, I hate criminals.  I just think they're a product of society. 

I can agree to a certain degree but let's take a look at some of your examples.

Wouldn't you agree a typical person would have chosen to better himself if life was easier to begin with...?

And don't get me wrong, I hate criminals.  I just think they're a product of society. 

I get what you're saying m8 but to be honest, no one ever said that life should be fair or easy. Life is what you make it and in reality, it's all relative.

One mans rags are another mans riches.

Totally agree with your last line.  :)

I get what you're saying m8 but to be honest, no one ever said that life should be fair or easy. Life is what you make it and in reality, it's all relative.

One mans rags are another mans riches.

Totally agree with your last line.  :)

I like how you put it into perspective that it is all relative.  Keep trucking, Brother. 

Blacks have an easier time getting into most post graduate schools and college on general. The standards are lowered.

Allopathic (MD schools) medical programs usually take african americans with a 2.8-3.0 GPA and a sub 29 MCAT where any other race would be laughed at if they didn't have a 3.5 and 33 or better MCAT and their applications would shredder upon being opened.

Do you know how many scholarships and how much funding is there for black students? They pretty get a free ride through grad grad school if their parentd arent wealthy.

But hell, why should I complain? My slave that I have chained up outside proves that my white privlage is clearly there.

I just want Netshady to understand why folks become criminals. 

Why folk become criminals is an eternal debate founded on the Nature vs Nurture principle. Nature meaning they were born with those genes and nurture is basically what you are saying.

That's not really where I was going with my posts in that other thread. It's very hard for me to get my "views on life" across in a few sentences because it's a backpack that's been filling up for the last 42 years. I know I come across harsh and cold in discussions like these but I'm really a pretty cheerful guy. Through my experience I'm just aware of what's underneath the surface of our iPhone and Beyonce filled society.

Not to drag the whole refugee thing into this discussion again but it does help to illustrate my point. I remember discussing the matter with some people here. They said the same thing you said. That my views were harsh and too absolute. These were people that weren't a threat and needed our help. The mistake made is that people that say that are projecting themselves onto those people. "What if it was me?". Fact of the matter is...it isn't you, it isn't you because our culture/values and overall way of life isn't the least bit comparable.

Now just a few months later we've had incidents like the mass rape in Cologne. A mass rape...I want you to try to wrap your head around that concept for minute....Over 1,000.....a THOUSAND, mostly immigrant, men, gathered together, having their way with random women. Hundreds of women were victimised.

Now people will argue it was just 1,000 people out of 850,000 refugees. People will argue these savages were traumatized, didn't get equal opportunities,  etc etc...The truth is none of that matters, What matters is that over a thousand savages carried out coordinated attacks on unsuspecting women. 

And mark my words (again). More **** is coming, because all nuances, reasoning and good intentions aside...savages gonna savage and there's not a damn thing anyone can do within the laws of our civilised world to stop them and they know it.

Scary and uncomfortable thought? Yep....  Feels better and safer to cling to looking for the nuance? Most definately... but it won't change or stop a damn thing.

So back to our topic of the criminal from the hood... Do I feel bad about  "Dr. Deep Ice Dre "I can't breath" from da hood bangin' with the homies" getting shot by a cop he provoked after he just robbed a liquor store?... I honestly care more about not hitting my little toe on the side table.

Whatever threat to me, my family, my friends etc etc can go straight to hell. Seriously, every reason out there that requires the lock on my door can burn.

Where do I get the right to say that? Getting out of bed every moring to do my part, paying my 37% taxes, raising my kids to be honorable human beings and not hurting others in my pursuit of hapiness.

Why folk become criminals is an eternal debate founded on the Nature vs Nurture principle. Nature meaning they were born with those genes and nurture is basically what you are saying.

That's not really where I was going with my posts in that other thread. It's very hard for me to get my "views on life" across in a few sentences because it's a backpack that's been filling up for the last 42 years. I know I come across harsh and cold in discussions like these but I'm really a pretty cheerful guy. Through my experience I'm just aware of what's underneath the surface of our iPhone and Beyonce filled society.

Not to drag the whole refugee thing into this discussion again but it does help to illustrate my point. I remember discussing the matter with some people here. They said the same thing you said. That my views were harsh and too absolute. These were people that weren't a threat and needed our help. The mistake made is that people that say that are projecting themselves onto those people. "What if it was me?". Fact of the matter is...it isn't you, it isn't you because our culture/values and overall way of life isn't the least bit comparable.

Now just a few months later we've had incidents like the mass rape in Cologne. A mass rape...I want you to try to wrap your head around that concept for minute....Over 1,000.....a THOUSAND, mostly immigrant, men, gathered together, having their way with random women. Hundreds of women were victimised.

Now people will argue it was just 1,000 people out of 850,000 refugees. People will argue these savages were traumatized, didn't get equal opportunities,  etc etc...The truth is none of that matters, What matters is that over a thousand savages carried out coordinated attacks on unsuspecting women. 

And mark my words (again). More **** is coming, because all nuances, reasoning and good intentions aside...savages gonna savage and there's not a damn thing anyone can do within the laws of our civilised world to stop them and they know it.

Scary and uncomfortable thought? Yep....  Feels better and safer to cling to looking for the nuance? Most definately... but it won't change or stop a damn thing.

So back to our topic of the criminal from the hood... Do I feel bad about  "Dr. Deep Ice Dre "I can't breath" from da hood bangin' with the homies" getting shot by a cop he provoked after he just robbed a liquor store?... I honestly care more about not hitting my little toe on the side table.

Whatever threat to me, my family, my friends etc etc can go straight to hell. Seriously, every reason out there that requires the lock on my door can burn.

Where do I get the right to say that? Getting out of bed every moring to do my part, paying my 37% taxes, raising my kids to be honorable human beings and not hurting others in my pursuit of hapiness.

I'm glad you decided to chime in and I'm glad you're doing your part in being a contributor to society. 

Lol, this video is such bullchit.

I was raised in a city with a predominantly white population. Sure, I was discriminated, but that didn't limit the opportunities presented to me. It's all about how much will power, desire, self motivation, and hard work you're willing to put to come out ahead.

I was raised in a city with a predominantly white population. Sure, I was discriminated, but that didn't limit the opportunities presented to me. It's all about how much will power, desire, self motivation, and hard work you're willing to put to come out ahead.

If you grew up in a predominantly white population, then you grew up in a healthy environment.  We're talking about areas where it is predominantly minorities e.g. Blacks, Mexicans, Asians etc.  Those areas have the least funding when it comes to education and opportunities. 

Kudos to you for speaking the truth.

It's all about the individual.

If you grew up in a predominantly white population, then you grew up in a healthy environment.  We're talking about areas where it is predominantly minorities e.g. Blacks, Mexicans, Asians etc.  Those areas have the least funding when it comes to education and opportunities. 

You assumed I lived in a great part of town. My parents worked hard day and night to get us out of that neighborhood. Like I said in my previous post. It's about how much hard work and effort you want to put into it. I grew up without cable, internet, or even a computer. I started working as soon as I could push a lawn mower and serve chips at restaurants to be able to put myself ahead of everyone else from my neighborhood. Do us all a favor and don't argue for the thugs and degenerates that decide to waste their life away selling drugs and living a life of crime.

You assumed I lived in a great part of town. My parents worked hard day and night to get us out of that neighborhood. Like I said in my previous post. It's about how much hard work and effort you want to put into it. I grew up without cable, internet, or even a computer. I started working as soon as I could push a lawn mower and serve chips at restaurants to be able to put myself ahead of everyone else from my neighborhood. Do us all a favor and don't argue for the thugs and degenerates that decide to waste their life away selling drugs and living a life of crime.

I've already made my point.  I don't support these thugs but I understand why they have chosen a life of crime.  That is essentially the entire scope of my point. 

Props to you and your family for working hard and being able to get out of poverty.  My family is a first generation American family and we went through similar struggles. 

I can't agree with Netshady because he is perfectly fine with cops killing unarmed criminals.  I understand why folks become criminals.  They grow up in a suppressed environment and soon learn that they are behind in everything.  Everybody wants to get ahead, correct?  For you and I, getting ahead means working hard and or going to college.  For a lot of these underprivileged kids, getting ahead means resorting to criminal activities and or joining gangs.  They've been mentally routed in that direction since birth and for them to break out of it - is a miracle. 

I grew up in the hood so I know how these kids feel.  I could have easily been another statistic but my parents raised me well and pushed me hard in the direction of education. 

Nobody wants to grow up to become a criminal.  That behavior and mentality were ingrained into them by their parents, peers, and social environment.  Like I said to Netshady, only the smartest, strongest, and most talented make it out of the hood.  The rest will resort to criminal behavior, be on government assistance, or work for Walmart....And until you've worn their shoes, you cannot possibly know the struggles they go through and how they feel and why they chose a life of crime.  

And the folks who run this country understands that and that is why affirmative action was passed into law - which still does not solve the problem but it is a step in the right direction. 

I don't need Netshady to care for these criminals.  I just want Netshady to understand why folks become criminals. 

Here's a good little discussion that i found on another forum i visit Jason. It links in very nicely to the points you made.

A lot of times forum discussions become nothing more than a series of personal attacks and in that regard Debatepolitics is no different but this particular discussion stayed on topic and provided for a fairly good overall analysis as to the complexity of situation.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/general-political-discussion/246607-black-lies-matter.html

But some peoples "ways" are way easier. Moving from the bottom of the pile to the top is much harder than moving there from the middle or from just below near the top. Being born into a certain strata of society puts you closer to the top right off the bat with more readily available opportunities for movement.

Blacks have an easier time getting into most post graduate schools and college on general. The standards are lowered.

Allopathic (MD schools) medical programs usually take african americans with a 2.8-3.0 GPA and a sub 29 MCAT where any other race would be laughed at if they didn't have a 3.5 and 33 or better MCAT and their applications would shredder upon being opened.

Do you know how many scholarships and how much funding is there for black students? They pretty get a free ride through grad grad school if their parentd arent wealthy.

But hell, why should I complain? My slave that I have chained up outside proves that my white privlage is clearly there.

Personally I am against any form of affirmative action, it just isn't right to make someone pay for the sins of their ancestors or for the flaws in their society as a whole. The problem is, poor people, especially those growing up in a bad environment, are going to have a much harder time in general even getting to the point of being considered for college regardless if they have some kind of advantage once they get to that point.

Personally I am against any form of affirmative action, it just isn't right to make someone pay for the sins of their ancestors or for the flaws in their society as a whole. The problem is, poor people, especially those growing up in a bad environment, are going to have a much harder time in general even getting to the point of being considered for college regardless if they have some kind of advantage once they get to that point.

You are some kind of "_____."  Your post does not make sense at all.  I don't think you know where you stand on the issue.  Please don't vote. 

You are some kind of "_____."  Your post does not make sense at all.  I don't think you know where you stand on the issue.  Please don't vote. 

Yeah, that was sort of confusing.  Although when people start thinking critically, it DOES get confusing.  Personally, I flipflop back and forth on issues like these all the time.  So give him credit for looking a little deeper into the problem than most.

Archived