Major Discovery Gravitational Waves Confirmed

SavageTC

For the first time, scientists have observed ripples in the fabric of spacetime called gravitational waves, arriving at Earth from a cataclysmic event in the distant universe. This confirms a major prediction of Albert Einstein's 1915 general theory of relativity and opens an unprecedented new window to the cosmos.

Gravitational waves carry information about their dramatic origins and about the nature of gravity that cannot be obtained from elsewhere. Physicists have concluded that the detected gravitational waves were produced during the final fraction of a second of the merger of two black holes to produce a single, more massive spinning black hole. This collision of two black holes had been predicted but never observed.

The gravitational waves were detected on Sept. 14, 2015 at 5:51 a.m. EDT (09:51 UTC) by both of the twin Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) detectors, located in Livingston, Louisiana, and Hanford, Washington. The LIGO observatories are funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), and were conceived, built and are operated by the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The discovery, accepted for publication in the journal Physical Review Letters, was made by the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (which includes the GEO Collaboration and the Australian Consortium for Interferometric Gravitational Astronomy) and the Virgo Collaboration using data from the two LIGO detectors.

Based on the observed signals, LIGO scientists estimate that the black holes for this event were about 29 and 36 times the mass of the sun, and the event took place 1.3 billion years ago. About three times the mass of the sun was converted into gravitational waves in a fraction of a second—with a peak power output about 50 times that of the whole visible universe. By looking at the time of arrival of the signals—the detector in Livingston recorded the event 7 milliseconds before the detector in Hanford—scientists can say that the source was located in the Southern Hemisphere.

Live stream of NSF press conference: You Tube www.youtube.com/user/VideosatNSF/live and Onstream www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/219/13131

According to general relativity, a pair of black holes orbiting around each other lose energy through the emission of gravitational waves, causing them to gradually approach each other over billions of years, and then much more quickly in the final minutes. During the final fraction of a second, the two black holes collide at nearly half the speed of light and form a single more massive black hole, converting a portion of the combined black holes' mass to energy, according to Einstein's formula E=mc2. This energy is emitted as a final strong burst of gravitational waves. These are the gravitational waves that LIGO observed.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-02-gravitational-years-einstein.html#jCp

This discovery is of the same order of significance as the confirmation of the Higgs particle, further confirms the theory of general relativity, and opens up an entirely new way of observing the universe.

Mind blowing to think what this could lead to

That's really interesting.. I've always wondered about black holes.. when I get home from work I'm going to have to look into this more

This is big. Warp drive confirmed.

"Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel. Objects cannot accelerate to the speed of light within normal spacetime; instead, the Alcubierre drive shifts space around an object so that the object would arrive at its destination faster than light would in normal space."

All I know is they better have a hyper speed before I die haha.

It is amazing news, my uncle has a degree in physics so he took great geeky pleasure explaining to me (in great detail) just what this means and what it could mean in the future. 

The future of science looks like it could be about to get even more interesting.

All I know is they better have a hyper speed before I die haha.

It is amazing news, my uncle has a degree in physics so he took great geeky pleasure explaining to me (in great detail) just what this means and what it could mean in the future. 

The future of science looks like it could be about to get even more interesting.

What does this really mean, can you explain it? I'm actually really curious and my post about a hyper drive was serious.

Does this confirm it is possible to move space in front and behind you to exceeded the speed of light?

What does this really mean, can you explain it? I'm actually really curious and my post about a hyper drive was serious.

Does this confirm it is possible to move space in front and behind you to exceeded the speed of light?

It confirms that we'll have hoverboards within the next 5 years.  HUGE news (although still late as per BTTF).

It confirms that we'll have hoverboards within the next 5 years.  HUGE news (although still late as per BTTF).

Why would this confirm hovernoards, what is the science behind it? 

Is it just the simple fact that we now know it is possible to control and manipulate gravity?

Why would this confirm hovernoards, what is the science behind it? 

Is it just the simple fact that we now know it is possible to control and manipulate gravity?

Scientists have found a way to harness the power of black holes.  They will place one at each end of the hoverboard to make it hover.

It's a very small, localised black hole; that's the tricky part.  It also has an application in personalised teleport devices, and the same principles can be used to coalesce beams of light into a highly concentrated saber-like structure made entirely of light.

Exciting times homie.

This is big. Warp drive confirmed.

"Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel. Objects cannot accelerate to the speed of light within normal spacetime; instead, the Alcubierre drive shifts space around an object so that the object would arrive at its destination faster than light would in normal space."

Im not going to venture too far in to what the potential outcomes of this discovery may lead to, but an Alcubierre Warp Drive is no less fictional today than it was yesterday. There are numerous models with different values that although the maths implies they are not theoretically impossible, they all require something that makes them practically impossible with our current understanding of unified theory and engineering capabilities.

One version of the drive requires more energy than the observable universe to move a few grams of matter, others need a jupiter sized mass, and all require exotic matter and negative mass, which are both theoretical at this point.

What it does mean is that we have created a "telescope" capable of seeing parts of the universe that were completely invisible to us, this was the first direct observation of not only a black hole but a merger between black holes. It has other implications relating to unified theory and gives us a better understanding of gravity, but does not mean we can manipulate or control it at this point

Scientists have found a way to harness the power of black holes.  They will place one at each end of the hoverboard to make it hover.

It's a very small, localised black hole; that's the tricky part.  It also has an application in personalised teleport devices, and the same principles can be used to coalesce beams of light into a highly concentrated saber-like structure made entirely of light.

Exciting times homie.

And not the weak **** hoverboards we are making now either.

Archived