Could RDA really be the best LW ever?

NangaParbatWinter16

RDA the greatest??  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Can Rafael Dos Anjos become the greatest LW ever!!

• Yes
    • No

I was a bit shocked when I read Joe Rogan stated that RDA was the best LW of all time so I was just looking at a few stats this morning and noticed that overall Rafael has a striking accuracy of 41% but then after looking at the stats of his last 6 fights I seen he threw 267 strikes with a strike accuracy record of an elite 53.6%, The only guys who have strike accuracy of over 50% are elite fighters like GSP, Couture, Hughes, Fedor, Crocop, Jones, Werdum, etc with the greatest striker ever Anderson Silva at a huge 68% so RDA's striking really is coming on superbly. The only problem I see in the near future for RDA is a rematch with Khabib Nurmegedov but even then RDA has improved again since they fought the first time.

Now with his ever improving striking RDA is the complete fighter but can he really become the greatest lightweight ever? It would probably take 4 or 5 defences of the title to earn that accolade that Rogan has already handed him.

RDA did lose to Clay Guida and he lost to Tibau, Griffin, Stephens , Britto and some dude Abu but absolutely none of them get to the final bell with RDA now, Rafael has slowly evolved into a complete fighter and is now finishing opponents more frequently. The record for Lightweight title defences stands at only three and RDA is on one already so when he dismantles Conor its on to Eddie Alvarez who RDA should beat. It will be the fight after that which will probably decide his legacy. That next fight will likely be Khabib and if he beats Khabib he stands alone with 4 defences but he also clears the division of real contenders to his throne because outside Khabib I cannot see anyone beating him

RDA did lose to Clay Guida and he lost to Tibau, Griffin, Stephens , Britto and some dude Abu but absolutely none of them get to the final bell with RDA now, Rafael has slowly evolved into a complete fighter and is now finishing opponents more frequently. The record for Lightweight title defences stands at only three and RDA is on one already so when he dismantles Conor its on to Eddie Alvarez who RDA should beat. It will be the fight after that which will probably decide his legacy. That next fight will likely be Khabib and if he beats Khabib he stands alone with 4 defences but he also clears the division of real contenders to his throne because outside Khabib I cannot see anyone beating him

Don't forget Tony Ferguson.

Not done nearly enough yet to be considered in that bracket.

Toss up between Edgar or Penn for the lightweight GOAT.

Both men won the title and defended it multiple times when they realistically should have been fighting at Featherweight.

The likes of RDA and Henderson are bigger men and cut down to the weight.

As champion Rafael has proven himself to be the best lightweight at this current moment and the stats show he is only getting better with each fight, He only needs another 2 defences to equal Penn , Bendo and Frankie (though Frankie had one draw), In my opinion he has a give me fight next so that would leave only one more defence needed which will likely be against Alvarez who is a poorer version of RDA.

The fight wit Khabib will be the fight that answers this question in my opinion

Frankie fled to FW... after losing twice in a row. BJ on the other hand moved up to WW to fight bigger stronger men. What a GOAT. Moving up was a mistake... but still GOAT.

Lol frankie decided to stop fighting guys considerably bigger than him and only fight guys a bit bigger than him by dropping down. BJ decided to stop eating some burgers and start eating a lot of burgers, hence him not making LW. I like BJ but he has always been a unmotivated, full of himself, lazy idiot.

Also knew you would say something about the guide comment cash. Lol.

Tell him i said suck it easy. BJ beat him once at LW and was more dominant.

The first fight should have been it. BJ winning and eventually moving to Welterweight and Frankie working his way back up.

I'll never forget how mad I was watching him cry after the decision was read and ignoring BJ's handshake. PATSTER remembers scummy **** like that. 

dominant against top talent like diego sanchez and kenny florian lmao, At that time in mma the ufc didnt have the best lws

Versus beating Gray Maynard (LMAO) once and getting banked 3 times in one fight by him in the worst draw of all time 

Kenny Florian was actually a really good fighter just not quite champion status.. big deal 99% of the roster isn't champion material. What did you want BJ to do? Get in a time machine and fight El Cucuy? You can't knock a guy for beating the best contenders in his era. He sat all the top lightweights down which was his job..

You talk **** about Frankie and say Florian was pretty good.

BJ destroyed Florian and Frankie destroyed BJ.

That is just history.

I was never talking **** about frankie. Just simply stating he wasnt the best LW of all time (he isn't). He lost the first fight to BJ and was less dominant during his reign. Frankie got smashed by Gray and was getting smashed in their third fight and got wrecked twice by Benson Henderson. How does that make you the best LW of all time? Is Dennis Hallman a better Welterweight than Matt Hughes or Mike Brown over Urijah because they have two fluke wins over them?

Versus beating Gray Maynard (LMAO) once and getting banked 3 times in one fight by him in the worst draw of all time 

Kenny Florian was actually a really good fighter just not quite champion status.. big deal 99% of the roster isn't champion material. What did you want BJ to do? Get in a time machine and fight El Cucuy? You can't knock a guy for beating the best contenders in his era. He sat all the top lightweights down which was his job..

the best contenders in his era were in wec and strikeforce, proven when the ufc merged with both organizations and their top fighters shot into the top 10 and ended up becoming champions or contenders

as bad as pettis is, he would have destroyed bj penn

so would cerrone, benson, melendes and thompson

the best contenders in his era were in wec and strikeforce, proven when the ufc merged with both organizations and their top fighters shot into the top 10 and ended up becoming champions or contenders

as bad as pettis is, he would have destroyed bj penn

so would cerrone, benson, melendes and thompson

First part is somewhat true.

LMFAOOO at the second part. Especially cowboy. That post made me laugh so hard I almost cried. Srs.

The absolute best RDA showed up versus Nurma and he still got beat pretty convincingly.

It really doesn't make the division look very good,BJ owned it a long time then Frankie just walked over him twice,then Penn became a nobody.When you have that kind of separation Nurma>RDA >the field it looks like a weak division.

What should happen is styles collide and the top guys sort of go back n forth defeating each other,instead it looks lieke as clear number 1 and a clear umber 2,RDA being #2.

It puts two tainted marks on Conor's belt attempt,one RDA is NOT the best even though he holds the belt and number 2 Conor is not challenging at least Nurma to EARN the right to the belt.

I am  no sure the very best RDA turned up in the Nurmegedov fight he looked sluggish and he got absolutely ragdolled, Now that is one of two things .... Either RDA didnt fight to his best and had an off night or Khabib is freakishly strong and threw about a guy who has proven one of the strongest in the division. If it is the first then I look forward to the rematch but if it is the second god help the lightweight division. The only hope then for the LW contenders is Khabib always gets injured and he is prone to getting dragged into the pocket for a quick slugout so someone could catch him

I do not think he uses steroids bro I put his improvement down to the decision to work harder on his stand up and looking at the career of Werdum too you can notice that Evolve MMA do the job

I personally think it's pretty damn sketchy that the two guys who never changed weight classes, and were hot garbage eight years ago are magically now champions, and just so happen to train at the same gym.

You can point to where things turned around in Robbie Lawler's career. His championship turn makes more sense, and even he is struggling to take decisions anymore. Werdum and RDA, nope. I think they're both juicing and they're both slicker than Lance Armstrong.

I find the topic surprising. RDA has won his last few fights sure but he is pretty far from being GOAT LW. I cannot be the only one that believes that RDA is on and has been on steroids non stop for months. I have studied RDA and Conor film very closely. RDA is sloppy as can be. His hard hits come at the end of sloppy punches. His style is going to get him KTFO. RDA's game plan is to hard charge every opponent as soon as the fight begins and to just keep on unloading with everything he has got does not matter if its standing up or on the ground. RDA's ability to keep his energy level as high as it can go, keep his stamina pushed to the limit and especially his ability to stay as aggressive as he can for 4-5 rounds non stop plus his near impossible physique just scream steroids. Conor is a master counter striker and has a sky high fight IQ. As much as I hate Conors bravado he SHOULD KO RDA at any point of the fight he wishes as RDA throws himself at Conor non stop. RDA winds up and overloads on everything he throws. Conor SHOULD see all of this coming a mile away. Hell Aldo was a perfect example of how you do NOT fight a top level counter striker. Aldo overloaded so hard and so much Conor could have written a short novel Aldo spent so long overloading before Conor simply and easily stepped to the side and blew Aldo out with a perfect counter punch to a wide open chin. I cannot stand McGregor as he makes us Irish seem like a nation of a**holes but do admit the very clear fact that Conor has an amazingly high skill level. Still I wish he would for one night just STFU.

Archived