Proposed rule changes for eye pokes, kicks to grounded opponent to be tested at VFC in Iowa

xFINISHxHIMx

The MMA gloves do need to be seriously modified, not just for the fingers but  for the thumbs as well.  Perhaps the new MMA gloves can be similar to boxing gloves, but the MMA fighters can still open their hands freely to grapple.  As for kicking or kneeing the opponent's body on the ground, they should allow that kind of attack.  There's no need to change that.  I'm glad though that they made headbutting and kneeing the head of a downed opponent illegal.

The MMA gloves do need to be seriously modified, not just for the fingers but  for the thumbs as well.  Perhaps the new MMA gloves can be similar to boxing gloves, but the MMA fighters can still open their hands freely to grapple.  As for kicking or kneeing the opponent's body on the ground, they should allow that kind of attack.  I'm glad they made headbutting and kneeing the head of a downed opponent illegal.

Kicks, and knees to the body of a grounded opponent are legal under the unified rules. Always have been.

I like these rules, except for the legalization of the 12 to 6 elbow.  Those could cause serious injury.

I'm okay with the 12 to 6 elbow, as long as it's not aimed directly into the face.  That's what caused Jon "Bones" Jones his first loss.  However, if it's to the top of the head when being mounted on, fire away.  Besides, I don't want those wrestlers to win by doing nothing but takedowns and laying-and-praying on top of their opponents.  Throwing any kind of elbows as long as they're not to the back of the head or driving elbows to the face like a spear are fine by me.  Don't give those wrestlers and grapplers any advantage.

In the standing position, a fighter that moves offensively toward their opponent with an open hand, fingers pointing at the opponent, will be a foul. Referees are to prevent this dangerous behavior by communicating clearly to fighters. Fighters are directed to close their fists or point their fingers straight up in the air when reaching toward an opponent.

I'm not sure I agree with the interpretation of this. 

I would prefer that any eye poke, regardless if considered intentional or accidental, was penalised with a mandatory point deduction. That would be sufficient to solve the problem IMO as I believe the vast majority are caused either intentionally or recklessly.

Archived