Zimbabwe park to cull 200 lions due to lack of hunting.

juice64011

Zimbabwe's largest wildlife reserve has warned it may have to cull 200 lions to deal with a population explosion triggered by the international fury over the death of Cecil last year.

Bubye Valley Conservancy, whose owners include Charles Davy, father of Prince Harry's former girlfriend Chelsy, now has more than 500 lions, the most in the country's dwindling wildlife areas.

But they have been destroying populations of antelope, giraffe, cheetah, leopards and wild dogs after the driest summer on record kept grasses low, making them prime targets.

dude

you just gave us a link to a news page headlined "Shocking images show desperate migrants trying to HANG themselves in Athens square - as beleaguered Greece warns it will not become Europe's 'warehouse of souls'"

im not really sure what you are trying to get out of this thread there grape drank. and it still looks rather fake to me

Mugabe is a plague to that country I really hope once he finally kicks the bucket someone who cares will be put in charge.

Countries like Ghana, The Ivory Coast, and Togo's lion population has been completely wiped out.

Burkina Faso, Niger, the Central African Republic, Cameroon and Chad all have a few dozen lions left at best.

Capturing and relocating these animals to African countries with no or few lions to try and help increase the population should be what they are doing.

Zimbabwe's largest wildlife reserve has warned it may have to cull 200 lions to deal with a population explosion triggered by the international fury over the death of Cecil last year.

Bubye Valley Conservancy, whose owners include Charles Davy, father of Prince Harry's former girlfriend Chelsy, now has more than 500 lions, the most in the country's dwindling wildlife areas.

But they have been destroying populations of antelope, giraffe, cheetah, leopards and wild dogs after the driest summer on record kept grasses low, making them prime targets.

Yeah - the problem was caused by anger over killing Cecil,. 

There's no way it was caused by our over-development of wildlife habitat and our stoking of global warming with our pollution.

Mugabe is a plague to that country I really hope once he finally kicks the bucket someone who cares will be put in charge.

Countries like Ghana, The Ivory Coast, and Togo's lion population has been completely wiped out.

Burkina Faso, Niger, the Central African Republic, Cameroon and Chad all have a few dozen lions left at best.

Capturing and relocating these animals to African countries with no or few lions to try and help increase the population should be what they are doing.

Also - they could increase the size of protected wildlife areas.

dude

you just gave us a link to a news page headlined "Shocking images show desperate migrants trying to HANG themselves in Athens square - as beleaguered Greece warns it will not become Europe's 'warehouse of souls'"

im not really sure what you are trying to get out of this thread there grape drank. and it still looks rather fake to me

That page just changed, I was on my phone and just pulled up one story and copy/pasted. I changed it but it's not fake.

They are trying to find other wildlife parks to take them.

They are trying to find other wildlife parks to take them.

Here's hoping they do.

The Western African Lion is currently critically endangered and the Asiatic Lion is endangered.

Even trying to integrate them with those sub species could be an option.

Saying that I doubt any politicians in India would approve them letting a few hundred Lions loose.

Considering that they are looking at any other options first before making that decision I would say that they are taking responsibility. At the same time they lost a major source of funding for their parks (if the money was going to where it should) and also a way to keep the population in check. There needs to be more of an effort to keep large wildlife parks safe from humans and also to buy more land but that isn't an issue that will be resolved soon enough to fix this issue.

Culling costs them money.  Hunters make them lots of money.  End result 200 lions dead either way.

The hunters are still ****s but at least they aren't doing any more damage than what would be done.  That said, the lions may be a gateway to more illegal and exotic hunting.  I don't know.  I'm ignorant.

You guys have to realise this is Africa we are talking about, this isn't the USA or Europe, this is a poor and ****ed up continent, our morals and what we see as right does not apply to those over there. They probably look at us and say look at those rich guys all on there high horses judging us for what we do in our lands, while we starve and they stuff their faces with Mcdonalds, yet they have the audacity to tell us what to do with our wildlife. 

I watched a documentary about a tribe from the Kalahari and the boys do not become men until the kill a lion, They also go out killing lions if their livestock are attacked but the population of lion is under threat, The government have a compensation scheme meaning if a lion kills one of the tribes livestock they are compensated ONLY if they do not kill the lion

we dpont have a problem killing wildlife because of 'over population' but we wont kill humans who are the real over population on earth

not sure if thats real english, little bit stoned right now

It was flawless, including your innovative use of the word "dpont".

Have you read Rainbow 6? I found myself remarkably sympathetic towards the bad guys (who basically wanted to wipe out 99% of the civilised world so that the planet could flourish).

It was flawless, including your innovative use of the word "dpont".

Have you read Rainbow 6? I found myself remarkably sympathetic towards the bad guys (who basically wanted to wipe out 99% of the civilised world so that the planet could flourish).

i have not read Rainbow 6, but sounds like a good read

dpont is under rated

Archived