Smart Phone Virtual Reality Tech

Denizen

Now I've not tried the Oculus Rift or any of the high end VR technology but I have tried and tested a couple of the smartphone VR offerings. 

For anyone that's not familiar with smartphone VR, it's basically a simple headset/visor that your phone slots into, the phone acts as a screen which you view through a couple of lenses. Your phone displays an identical image for the left and the right eye to view seperately. 

The motion and tilt sensors in your phone track your head movement so that if you turn your head left/right/up/down then the images on your screen will follow, giving the user the impression that they are viewing a different area, when obviously your eyes are still focused on the same spot. 

The screen of the phone takes up your entire field of vision, giving the impression that you are viewing a huge area rather than just several inches of display. The best way I can describe this to anyone that's not tried it would be to imagine that you are wrapped inside a spherical screen.

There's quite a few apps available but most of them are really quite limited. Fun....but limited. Roller coaster rides that can make you feel a little queasy and horror shows that can startle you, a few basic shooters etc. There's some cool stuff on youtube that you can immerse yourself in but honestly, at this stage it's still quite primitive.

The best thing about Smartphone VR at this stage, im my humble opinion, is the offerings from Naughty America which can be found on any good torrenting site

Cheezits.

Pr0n is where smartphone vr tech comes into it's own and is a must for any chronic masturbator (mentioning no names IDYB)

I tried the Google Cardboard first (Cardboard has become kind of a generic name for smartphone VR but it's also an actual headset model ) which is about the most basic version of VR you can get....you can actually make it yourself with plans easily found on the net.

one-cardboard.png

And it interested me enough to go and spend £40 on the VR Merge which is quite a step up from the cardboard but still quite limited given the infancy of the apps and surrounding technology.

merge-goggles-package.jpg

Overall, I'd say it's worth a look if your a bit of a tech geek.

Now I've not tried the Oculus Rift or any of the high end VR technology but I have tried and tested a couple of the smartphone VR offerings. 

For anyone that's not familiar with smartphone VR, it's basically a simple headset/visor that your phone slots into, the phone acts as a screen which you view through a couple of lenses. Your phone displays an identical image for the left and the right eye to view seperately. 

The motion and tilt sensors in your phone track your head movement so that if you turn your head left/right/up/down then the images on your screen will follow, giving the user the impression that they are viewing a different area, when obviously your eyes are still focused on the same spot. 

The screen of the phone takes up your entire field of vision, giving the impression that you are viewing a huge area rather than just several inches of display. The best way I can describe this to anyone that's not tried it would be to imagine that you are wrapped inside a spherical screen.

There's quite a few apps available but most of them are really quite limited. Fun....but limited. Roller coaster rides that can make you feel a little queasy and horror shows that can startle you, a few basic shooters etc. There's some cool stuff on youtube that you can immerse yourself in but honestly, at this stage it's still quite primitive.

The best thing about Smartphone VR at this stage, im my humble opinion, is the offerings from Naughty America which can be found on any good torrenting site

Cheezits.

Pr0n is where smartphone vr tech comes into it's own and is a must for any chronic masturbator (mentioning no names IDYB)

I tried the Google Cardboard first (Cardboard has become kind of a generic name for smartphone VR but it's also an actual headset model ) which is about the most basic version of VR you can get....you can actually make it yourself with plans easily found on the net.

one-cardboard.png

And it interested me enough to go and spend £40 on the VR Merge which is quite a step up from the cardboard but still quite limited given the infancy of the apps and surrounding technology.

merge-goggles-package.jpg

Overall, I'd say it's worth a look if your a bit of a tech geek.

You have to hold the device with one hand? Doesn't sound user friendly for watching ****

You have to hold the device with one hand? Doesn't sound user friendly for watching ****

With the cardboard you do.

The Merge straps to your head though.

429107_scr3_a.png

It has a couple of buttons on top to stop and start videos and has an optional controller (much like a wii remote) that is sold seperately.

The difficulty is with attaching headphones/charge cables when the visor is attached to your face. Very easy to get tangled up, also having to remove the visor and phone to select another video ( if you can go for hours......like me....) if you dont have a controller.

Archived