GOD  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any God, you can pick whichever you like. The Christian God, the Jewish God, the Mexican God, the Chinese God, the Hindu thing with 12 arms, whatever ya like.

My question is, do you think God is real?

Are you asking this cause Diaz finna clean, startch and press McPotato plucker tonight my friend?

Vishnu isn't the main Hindu god. There are three, can't remember what they are called, one of them is called Shiva I think. My gf is a RE teacher so I should really know.

I don't think I believe in any of the gods from major religions. But I do like the idea of their been some higher power.

Vishnu isn't the main Hindu god. There are three, can't remember what they are called, one of them is called Shiva I think. My gf is a RE teacher so I should really know.

I don't think I believe in any of the gods from major religions. But I do like the idea of their been some higher power.

Could you elaborate on why you like the idea of there being a being that created everything?

I don't believe in a God. Im a firm believer in evolution. While it isn't 100% accurate or foolproof, there is evidence to support it.

However, what start it all billions of years ago?

Who knows. Its a fun thing to imagine and think about.

It's actually an impossible question to answer imo.

If a higher power created everything what created that higher power? 

Or

If all the matter in the universe came from a single source (the big bang), how did that matter get there in the first place?

I don't believe these can be answered.

Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma are the Trinity in Hinduism, there's only One Hindu god though to be technical.

No proof of God so it would be illogical to believe in 'it'.

You mean besides the fact our atmosphere is finely tuned for human life, that if it was off by a thousandth of a percent would be unable to sustain human life? To believe it happened completely at random is a far greater leap of faith.

You mean besides the fact our atmosphere is finely tuned for human life, that if it was off by a thousandth of a percent would be unable to sustain human life? To believe it happened completely at random is a far greater leap of faith.

My point was why should I believe in something that has literally zero proof of ever existing. I'm not just gonna be dumb and believe in something because You think it is more likely to be the reasoning for our existence than something else. Has God spoken to you? Have you seen God? Tell me how he has connected with you. Does he answer your prayers? What accent does he have? Lol. perhaps your answer is 'I have faith that he exists', well if that is the case that's just lovely but faith ain't proof.

Not a hater of religious people or anything but I don't understand how one can fully believe in God, that's all. Then again this topic has been discussed millions of times and nobody has come out with a changed opinion so this is pointless :P

It wasn't random per say, more like cause and effect. If this happens then that happens... Etc. Probability wise it's pretty rare to have a sustainable atmosphere to support life, but not as rare as you think. As technology evolves we have been finding more and more earth like planets that are theorized to support life.  So far the count is 40 billion earth like planets in the universe.

So yea not that rare or random.

In the vastness of time and space it would be more unlikely that at some point in that vastness that a planet like ours did NOT come about. Plus, other types of planets could lead to other life forms different than ourselves.

My point was why should I believe in something that has literally zero proof of ever existing. I'm not just gonna be dumb and believe in something because You think it is more likely to be the reasoning for our existence than something else. Has God spoken to you? Have you seen God? Tell me how he has connected with you. Does he answer your prayers? What accent does he have? Lol. perhaps your answer is 'I have faith that he exists', well if that is the case that's just lovely but faith ain't proof.

Not a hater of religious people or anything but I don't understand how one can fully believe in God, that's all. Then again this topic has been discussed millions of times and nobody has come out with a changed opinion so this is pointless :P

My question has always been, what was this god doing before he created the universe? And why did he wait so long to do so? If this was his end goal why not just create us and earth from the start without the intervening billions of years, not to mention the unlimited time before the latest big bang in our sector of the multi-verse? And if there is one God, then certainly there can be 2 or 1000 or a million no? Why is one billion gods any less likely than one? The whole thing is silly frankly.

If a god or gods exist I think the way we have represented them up to this point is probably completely wrong, ie people up in the sky ****ing with our lives, loves us all but will punish us for eternity. Even the concept of heaven is pretty silly when you think about it, ie Im going to a place for eternity where my every desire is catered for, therefore i will never be challenged or experience growth or loss again. 

I am more comfortable in an ever changing universe of matter and energy, cause and effect, where we still have endless unanswered questions, where its ok to admit you dont know something and come up with new ideas and ways to test and measure them, rather than magic.

Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma are the Trinity in Hinduism, there's only One Hindu god though to be technical.

All cans. Shiva is a spiteful wench on her period 7 days a week, Vishnu is a tree hugging hipster geek. The MF'er has a frisbee as a weapon...lol.....and Brahma is a freak but gives great heads. 

Ganesh is the GOAT. 

Why just human life? Is your statement factually correct or are you just using random numbers for effect?

You mean besides the fact our atmosphere is finely tuned for human life, that if it was off by a thousandth of a percent would be unable to sustain human life? To believe it happened completely at random is a far greater leap of fait

Evolution theory would say that we are tuned to the atmosphere --- not vice-versa.  But since evolution and God are not mutually exclusive -- this has no bearing on the question of whether or not God exists.

Ill humor you.

With the perspective that our universe is either infinite or finite well beyond comprehension..... that thousandth of a percent isnt as small as you're making it out to be. 

Of course God and Gods exist. 

They exist in the myths and the fables and the stories that all cultures know and tell. All. Not some. Not many. 

If we were to find some sort of object that indicated belief in God buried with a monkey from 100,000 years ago that monkey species would be considered a good candidate as an ancestor of modern man. 

Belief in God is as far as we know a purely human trait. 

Belief in God is as far as we know a purely human trait.

Mysterious chimpanzee behaviour could be 'sacred rituals' and show that chimps believe in god

The ritual has similarities with the building of shrines or cairns, a human ritual that has been happening for thousands of years and across civilisations

Andrew Griffin @_andrew_griffin Friday 4 March 2016 140 comments

POPULAR VIDEOS

CCTV shows the moment cashier fights off armed robber with her bare hands

Donald Trump: Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and John Kasich admit they would back him for Presidency

US elections 2016: Donald Trump and Fox News host Bill O'Reilly have frosty exchange

New footage shows chimpanzees engaging in bizarre behaviour — which might be a form of sacred ritual that could show the beginnings of a kind of religious belief.

Chimpanzees in West Africa have been spotted banging and throwing rocks against trees and throwing them into gaps inside, leading to piles of rocks. Those rocks do not appear to be for any functional purpose — and might be an example of an early version of ritual behaviour.

The discovery might help researchers learn more about the basis of human religion and rituals, and how such activities formed in our own history.

READ MORE

New theory of life could prove how life began and disprove God

The scientist described seeing the behaviour through cameras that were set up to watch the chimpanzees. They saw them assembling piles of stones — of a similar kind of the ritual cairns that have been found throughout human history.

Chimpanzees and other apes have long been known to use stones and other materials as tools, including their use as nutcrackers to get into food that is cased in a hard shell. But the new behaviour doesn’t seem to have the same functional purpose.

“This represents the first record of repeated observations of individual chimpanzees exhibiting stone tool use for a purpose other than extractive foraging at what appear to be targeted trees,” the researchers write in their abstract.

“The ritualized behavioural display and collection of artefacts at particular locations observed in chimpanzee accumulative stone throwing may have implications for the inferences that can be drawn from archaeological stone assemblages and the origins of ritual sites.”

^interesting stuff.

THere is also a burial site in the ME where they found a Neanderthal woman who was buried. Just that action alone indicates many things about the Neanderthals (and other early species)that we may not be aware of.

They found pollen in a crescent shape around her head. which indicate that she was buried with flowers. 

To me that means she was either buried by humans or the Neanderthals themselves had some sort of beliefs about a god or afterlife. 

It wasn't random per say, more like cause and effect. If this happens then that happens... Etc. Probability wise it's pretty rare to have a sustainable atmosphere to support life, but not as rare as you think. As technology evolves we have been finding more and more earth like planets that are theorized to support life.  So far the count is 40 billion earth like planets in the universe.

So yea not that rare or random.

Not that rare?? You couldn't sound anymore bias lol. You are literally denying the very science you use for your own argument. The "count" is that there "might/may/could" be earth like planets out there and that's the best answer the who's who of Cosmologists have come up with. Well we mine as well speculate a planet of the apes while we're at it. Ironically Atheists use vague, unverifiable answers like these against theists all the time and yet do the same when the need arises.

Not a single planet with our atmosphere has been confirmed, let alone all the characteristics necessary for human life(that includes Kepler-186f). The fact is our planet is beyond rare, to the point of scientific impossibility. Plus it really doesn't matter how many pseudo earths exist, that doesn't change the impossible odds of random occurrence. For two to randomly occur in viewing distance is even more absurd and that's from a scientific standpoint.

Not that rare?? You couldn't sound anymore bias lol. You are literally denying the very science you use for your own argument. The "count" is that there "might/may/could" be earth like planets out there and that's the best answer the who's who of Cosmologists have come up with. Well we mine as well speculate a planet of the apes while we're at it. Ironically Atheists use vague, unverifiable answers like these against theists all the time and yet do the same when the need arises.

Not a single planet with our atmosphere has been confirmed, let alone all the characteristics necessary for human life(that includes Kepler-186f). The fact is our planet is beyond rare, to the point of scientific impossibility. Plus it really doesn't matter how many pseudo earths exist, that doesn't change the impossible odds of random occurrence. For two to randomly occur in viewing distance is even more absurd and that's from a scientific standpoint.

Again with "human life", there are places on this planet where life thrives, yet humans cannot survive there. Odds alone says life exists in some form, outside of our planet. As with the last post I quoted of yours, you seem to be twisting facts to suit your bias. The scientific standpoint certainly does not strictly aline with your view.

Wow you're a blithering imbecile. I refuse to respond to this kind of lunacy. Come back when you make the slightest inkling of sense.

Again with "human life", there are places on this planet where life thrives, yet humans cannot survive there. Odds alone says life exists in some form, outside of our planet. As with the last post I quoted of yours, you seem to be twisting facts to suit your bias. The scientific standpoint certainly does not strictly aline with your view.

This. Nobody heard of the drake equation? The probability is undeniable unless you're some bible thumping nit wit that still thinks the earth is under 10k old. 

We can't even wrap our head around the HUGE number of planets ( estimated at over 100 BILLION ) in our own galaxy alone nevermind  the whole damn universe or multiverse if that turns out to be true. 

Also like you hinted at from what we learned just on our planet with extremophiles being able to survive conditions we couldn't the range of so called sweet spots that could support life is even greater. 

Archived