What do you think about this article about McGregor?

BART-O-LINI

Why is the writer an idiot ? Because he said Conor hasnt become a "complete fighter" yet ?

So, a guy who goes down like that and offers 0 (ZERO) grappling skills is a complete fighter then ?

Conor is an amazing striker, thats undeniable but he is not a complete fighter ffs.

Also, he looks really good fighting smaller guys, just saying.

i don't think anything in there is controversial.

but I think the author is being a bit too cynical I mean.. it's like he assumes the worse of every point in Conor's career.

Yeah, we've all wondered whether this 13 second win over Aldo was legit or if it was just another JDS vs Velasquez 1. Maybe it was, maybe not.

I think there's no question that he's been overhyped though and his loss puts the spotlight on that. I mean they've been presenting him like a freagin god and in the end, he faced a no-camp Diaz and did worse at it than many other fighters who fought him with a full camp...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/ufc-196-conor-mcgregor-hype-trash-talk-nate-diaz

Is the criticism warranted? Or is the writer an idiot?

I think he wanted to write about something that would catch people's attention by being controversial.  That's an easy and chicken-**** way of trying to catch people's attention.  It's a lot more difficult to open people's eyes to a completely new subject, or to bring depth and inspire emotion by drawing something up using the beautiful and polished technique of a seasoned author.  

Uh....He's a great UFC fighter because of what he's done for the UFC promotion.

He's not a great MMA fighter though, he's a great striker but not a great MMA fighter.

Maybe i'm being pedantic in my distinction between a UFC and an MMA fighter, I don't think so though, I think it's clear what I mean.

Uh....He's a great UFC fighter because of what he's done for the UFC promotion.

He's not a great MMA fighter though, he's a great striker but not a great MMA fighter.

Maybe i'm being pedantic in my distinction between a UFC and an MMA fighter, I don't think so though, I think it's clear what I mean.

I don't care how one dimensional you are. If you beat Dustin Poirier, Chad Mendes & Jose Aldo you're a great MMA fighter

So UFC champions aren't great MMA fighters. Good argument there buddy

Oh, this is an argument?

My point was that if a man can't grapple then he isn't a great "Mixed" Martial artist, ya know as in the definition of it?

Your point seems to be that if he beats a few decent fighters then he doesn't need to have the "Mixed" part in MMA to be a great M ixed Martial Artist.

Yes, thanks for carefully considering my opinion while failing to correctly form your own.

Why is the writer an idiot ? Because he said Conor hasnt become a "complete fighter" yet ?

So, a guy who goes down like that and offers 0 (ZERO) grappling skills is a complete fighter then ?

Conor is an amazing striker, thats undeniable but he is not a complete fighter ffs.

Also, he looks really good fighting smaller guys, just saying.

Sounds dumb but I think the downfall in that fight was cardio. He looked great in the first, even when it hit the ground (although he was always in the dominant position).

He clearly slowed in the second and stared getting tagged. Maybe his body hasn't adjusted to the size increase, maybe his cardio is never good but he ko's them in the early minutes.

Oh, this is an argument?

My point was that if a man can't grapple then he isn't a great "Mixed" Martial artist, ya know as in the definition of it?

Your point seems to be that if he beats a few decent fighters then he doesn't need to have the "Mixed" part in MMA to be a great M ixed Martial Artist.

Yes, thanks for carefully considering my opinion while failing to correctly form your own.

Mixed Martial Arts is the name of the sport. Some people also say Steph Curry isn't great because he doesn't dunk enough or whatever.

The goal is to win, not to be well rounded

Sounds dumb but I think the downfall in that fight was cardio. He looked great in the first, even when it hit the ground (although he was always in the dominant position).

He clearly slowed in the second and stared getting tagged. Maybe his body hasn't adjusted to the size increase, maybe his cardio is never good but he ko's them in the early minutes.

He was also gunning for the knockout with haymakers and you're screwed when that doesn't work

Mixed Martial Arts is the name of the sport. Some people also say Steph Curry isn't great because he doesn't dunk enough or whatever.

No, I would counter by saying that when training in Mixed Martial Arts the goal is to become a complete fighter. Anyone can win when they get favourable match ups against men half their size. If Conor had a grappling game, then he would have had a go-to when he found himself in trouble against Diaz. He had a sloppy takedown to RNC lol. If he had been better at the mixed part then he would've had somewhere else to go when the stand up wasnt working. However, because he has no "Mixed" he ended up looking like a buffoon.

I stand by my point.

Mixed Martial Arts is the name of the sport, yes.

It's also the definition of the sport though.

I don't care who you beat. If you have zero grappling ability you're not a great MMA fighter.

Woah woah woah. Where did all this zero grappling ability nonsense come from. You sound as bad as that nobody idiot writer. 

Conor has decent to good grappling skills but he has a lot to learn and isn't great there but as a mixed martial artist overall he is definitely great. Nate is a great seasoned blackbelt who trains regularly with the likes of Nick, Shields & Kron. Of course he's gonna make Conor look foolish there but keep in mind Conor grappled with him earlier on and was doing fine. It's when he got pulled into trying to brawl but got outpaced, worn out and hurt is when he got sloppy. Diaz bro are notorious for that and everyone plays right into their game if they fight them like that. 

There's an old Carlson saying that applies here. You hit a black belt once he becomes a brown...hit him again...purple.....and so on. Now Conor is no Blackbelt he is about a brown overall and maybe purple in some aspects but even the sickests blackbelts can look poor in chaotic situations when fatigue, damage and panic set in. 

Oh and i should probably apply for some extra scratch as a writer cause i know i can write much better articles than dis horse chit but maybe that's the point. Controversial=attention. 

Might have to hire 12'er to proof read my stuff and TUF1 to protect me against potential slander lawsuits. 

Chad fights Connor with a 2 week camp nd clearly gasses after the grappling exchanges .... The McGregorites tell us he didnt gas it was the perfect body kicks landed by their god (about 4 landed)

Conor fights Nte after a 7 week camp and getting to eat steak right up to weigh in, no weight cut whatsoever yet it was not the Diaz shots that wobbled him it was the fact their God gassed ....

This is MMA post Conor McGregor

Facts are ...

Conor DOES NOT have a chin that can handle the LW or WW division (guys his own size)

Conor does not have the ground skills for the LW or WW division (guys his own size)

Conor does not have the heart of an elite fighter, Holly chose to fight the choke to the very end and Conor tapped so fast its as if he was racing Sage for fastest tap. If Nate had chosen not to choke Conor then Conor would have tapped toi strikes or been caught cold and put to sleep with strikes

Chad fights Connor with a 2 week camp nd clearly gasses after the grappling exchanges .... The McGregorites tell us he didnt gas it was the perfect body kicks landed by their god (about 4 landed)

Conor fights Nte after a 7 week camp and getting to eat steak right up to weigh in, no weight cut whatsoever yet it was not the Diaz shots that wobbled him it was the fact their God gassed ....

This is MMA post Conor McGregor

Facts are ...

Conor DOES NOT have a chin that can handle the LW or WW division (guys his own size)

Conor does not have the ground skills for the LW or WW division (guys his own size)

Conor does not have the heart of an elite fighter, Holly chose to fight the choke to the very end and Conor tapped so fast its as if he was racing Sage for fastest tap. If Nate had chosen not to choke Conor then Conor would have tapped toi strikes or been caught cold and put to sleep with strikes

Chad did gas AND those body shots took a toll. IT WAS BOTH. 

The size difference having to commit more and being uncomfortable, Nate's killer chin, the wasteful use of energy throwing shots to take his head off. Taking the damage he did in that second round after never really recovering and playing right into the Diaz attrition pace war. Sure he gassed but so does every other fighter in those situations besides the Diaz bros. Even high level in shape fighters can gas if a pace is high, they spend a lot of time in an aspect they are not as conditioned to during their camps and they are taking damage and or mentally panicked. Even an elite fighter can gas in a situation like that and people that never fought before don't seem to understand this. 

Conor has a decent chin. I'd agree he can't just eat shots from LW & WW. He has to fight smarter than that. 

Conor has the ground skills to survive 5 min rounds against LW & WW. He has the stand-up and mobility to keep it on the feet so that when it does hit the mat he the time needed to survive is limited. That being said i see most top LW and WW being able to take his chit and grind him out.

He has heart of an elite. The way he tried to beat Diaz took heart....it wasn't wise but he showed a lot of balls to try to come at Diaz as hard as he did in that first round. The tap wasn't really fast nor slow. Diaz had it sunk deep for a good 2-3 seconds and that flattened out position is horrible. Can't say for sure he'd have tap to strikes but i doubt it. I'd doubt Nate would have put him to sleep with strikes there either but it would have been stopped. 

there wasn't anything that wasn't factual in the article until it come to this;

The point is that McGregor’s résumé prior to fighting Diaz wasn’t all that much to brag about.

if the writer stuck to something like the resume was great but not completely undisputable or something like that, i wouldn't have objected to any of it.

He has heart of an elite. The way he tried to beat Diaz took heart....it wasn't wise but he showed a lot of balls to try to come at Diaz as hard as he did in that first round. The tap wasn't really fast nor slow. Diaz had it sunk deep for a good 2-3 seconds and that flattened out position is horrible. Can't say for sure he'd have tap to strikes but i doubt it. I'd doubt Nate would have put him to sleep with strikes there either but it would have been stopped. 

Seems to me that coming at Nate the way he did was more ego than heart.

The tap was panicked. Herb was releasing the hold and Conor tapped again, rapidly. Wether or not Conor would tap to strikes...IDK, it doesn't matter. There was a turning point in that fight about 2.5 mins in the 2nd, somewhere around there, Conor was done and it could be seen in his eyes.

I agree with it.. if Conor was more complete... had a good ground game he would be awesome but he doesnt have that right now but with some training he can certainly get there

BOLD is a very strong statement freddie and I usually agree with you.

Problem is that it would take YEARS for Conor to get in a level where he would be able to rely on his grappling tho.

Seems to me that coming at Nate the way he did was more ego than heart.

The tap was panicked. Herb was releasing the hold and Conor tapped again, rapidly. Wether or not Conor would tap to strikes...IDK, it doesn't matter. There was a turning point in that fight about 2.5 mins in the 2nd, somewhere around there, Conor was done and it could be seen in his eyes.

I can agree with the ego thing but i can't agree he lacks heart. I would agree it's not at willing to die level heart like say Rory fighting till his nose was paste or Jon Jones letting his arm snap or Holly going to sleep. Put it this way. He'll put up a hell of a fight but he is breakable. 

The tap was panicked i agree but it wasn't that soon. It's definitely not even close to compatible with Sage. Mcginger was completely flattened out, choke was sunk deep with a ton of pressure that naggers eyes were about to pop out. Only people that won't tap no matter what could have held out for longer than he did. Yeah it all happened quickly and him being spend, hurt and in terrible position needs to be taken into account. That prone RNC is death compared to the supine version Holly went out to. 

On the turning point Conor was already losing steam and confidence putting everything into every shot and Nate took it like he was a nat. lol It was exhausting & demoralizing but then he felt he had to turn it up and got sucked into playing lick for lick then Nate landed that solid straight left on the cheek jaw area that wobbled Conor then what bish gestured him and Conor's eyes got glassy and he and Nate knew he was in trouble at that point then Nate turned up the heat till he broke him. 

BOLD is a very strong statement freddie and I usually agree with you.

Problem is that it would take YEARS for Conor to get in a level where he would be able to rely on his grappling tho.

He doesn't need to rely on it. He just has to be an anti grappler and survivalist enough to make the grappling a limited affair. 

He's already good enough to do that. 

The main issue for him moving forward and eventually stepping up to LW is he has to use his energy wisely and not fight other peoples game and have a back up in case his bully pressure game isn't working. i.e. Condit hit n run. Using the clinch to slow the pace, diminish a fighter by kneeing the legs and body against the cage. 

I can agree with the ego thing but i can't agree he lacks heart. I would agree it's not at willing to die level heart like say Rory fighting till his nose was paste or Jon Jones letting his arm snap or Holly going to sleep. Put it this way. He'll put up a hell of a fight but he is breakable. 

The tap was panicked i agree but it wasn't that soon. It's definitely not even close to compatible with Sage. Mcginger was completely flattened out, choke was sunk deep with a ton of pressure that naggers eyes were about to pop out. Only people that won't tap no matter what could have held out for longer than he did. Yeah it all happened quickly and him being spend, hurt and in terrible position needs to be taken into account. That prone RNC is death compared to the supine version Holly went out to. 

On the turning point Conor was already losing steam and confidence putting everything into every shot and Nate took it like he was a nat. lol It was exhausting & demoralizing but then he felt he had to turn it up and got sucked into playing lick for lick then Nate landed that solid straight left on the cheek jaw area that wobbled Conor then what bish gestured him and Conor's eyes got glassy and he and Nate knew he was in trouble at that point then Nate turned up the heat till he broke him. 

Seems like a fair and objective assessment .

Oh and i should probably apply for some extra scratch as a writer cause i know i can write much better articles than dis horse chit but maybe that's the point. Controversial=attention. 

Might have to hire 12'er to proof read my stuff and TUF1 to protect me against potential slander lawsuits. 

I'd hire Bubba as your editor, my technical writing isn't that great honestly. 

I just have the ability to spell, a better than average vocabulary, and I know to the throw down a comma every once in awhile.

In fact, I think I'm going to ask Bubba to edit my capstone project piece when it's done, maybe he can spiff it up with his English nerd skills.

Woah woah woah. Where did all this zero grappling ability nonsense come from. You sound as bad as that nobody idiot writer. 

Conor has decent to good grappling skills but he has a lot to learn and isn't great there but as a mixed martial artist overall he is definitely great. Nate is a great seasoned blackbelt who trains regularly with the likes of Nick, Shields & Kron. Of course he's gonna make Conor look foolish there but keep in mind Conor grappled with him earlier on and was doing fine. It's when he got pulled into trying to brawl but got outpaced, worn out and hurt is when he got sloppy. Diaz bro are notorious for that and everyone plays right into their game if they fight them like that. 

There's an old Carlson saying that applies here. You hit a black belt once he becomes a brown...hit him again...purple.....and so on. Now Conor is no Blackbelt he is about a brown overall and maybe purple in some aspects but even the sickests blackbelts can look poor in chaotic situations when fatigue, damage and panic set in. 

Chad did gas AND those body shots took a toll. IT WAS BOTH. 

The size difference having to commit more and being uncomfortable, Nate's killer chin, the wasteful use of energy throwing shots to take his head off. Taking the damage he did in that second round after never really recovering and playing right into the Diaz attrition pace war. Sure he gassed but so does every other fighter in those situations besides the Diaz bros. Even high level in shape fighters can gas if a pace is high, they spend a lot of time in an aspect they are not as conditioned to during their camps and they are taking damage and or mentally panicked. Even an elite fighter can gas in a situation like that and people that never fought before don't seem to understand this. 

Conor has a decent chin. I'd agree he can't just eat shots from LW & WW. He has to fight smarter than that. 

Conor has the ground skills to survive 5 min rounds against LW & WW. He has the stand-up and mobility to keep it on the feet so that when it does hit the mat he the time needed to survive is limited. That being said i see most top LW and WW being able to take his chit and grind him out.

He doesn't need to rely on it. He just has to be an anti grappler and survivalist enough to make the grappling a limited affair. 

The main issue for him moving forward and eventually stepping up to LW is he has to use his energy wisely and not fight other peoples game and have a back up in case his bully pressure game isn't working. i.e. Condit hit n run. Using the clinch to slow the pace, diminish a fighter by kneeing the legs and body against the cage. 

This is all fire, and I'm going to let you finish. However, if I may, my rebuttal....

Comber McGrabber grabbed the comb because he absolutely sucks. 

post-406774-0-21909400-1445036234.gif

Balls in your court Stomp.

Everybody here discussing a very silly topic imo. 

Is Conor a good MMA fighter with sick striking skills ? YES! Dude is a ninja! Amazing!

Is he great ? NO. He is still working on "being great". He got some work to do in order to be great, folks.

Is Conor a complete fighter ? OH, please guys, NO! How can someone in a right state of mind say that Conor is COMPLETE ?

Then all these folks talking about Conor was doing well until he had problems with his cardio .. well, guess what ? thats part of being "complete" as well. A fight got at least 3 rounds, so *** deal with it and work on your *** cardio because as a fighter you may need it!

Last but not least, that cardio argument works for Conor but sounded stupid for Chad!

Good points, Stomp. Good job but Conor was the one who shoot for a TD trying to use his ... grappling.

Good points, Stomp. Good job but Conor was the one who shoot for a TD trying to use his ... grappling.

He didn't need to though at least not in the way he did. 

It's a mistake to shoot for low level shots at the Diaz bros who are famous for snatching up necks. Especially with no set-up from a distance and low from the knees. . If he felt he was in trouble he could have clinched and slow the pace, regained some energy then played the stick and move game with bicycling, kicks and counter punches. The ol' Condit but he foolishly gambled for the kill and couldn't keep his composure when he tanked and started getting hurt. 

It was bad strategy and he underestimated Nate's chin, dealing with the reach, over reaching and putting a ton of energy into his blows and he over estimated his own punching power. 

It's a mistake to shoot for low level shots at the Diaz bros who are famous for snatching up necks. Especially with no set-up from a distance and low from the knees. . If he felt he was in trouble he could have clinched and slow the pace, regained some energy then played the stick and move game with bicycling, kicks and counter punches. The ol' Condit but he foolishly gambled for the kill and couldn't keep his composure when he tanked and started getting hurt. 

It was bad strategy and he underestimated Nate's chin, dealing with the reach, over reaching and putting a ton of energy into his blows and he over estimated his own punching power. 

Good points!

So, yes or no, do you you think that if Conor fix the mistakes you mentioned, he would be able to run 155 and 170 ? So lets say he fixes all the mistakes the made against Nate he can deal with Lawler, Wonderboy, Condit, Matt, etc ?

Nate was killing Connor with dirty boxing on the early grappling exchanges

Good points!

So, yes or no, do you you think that if Conor fix the mistakes you mentioned, he would be able to run 155 and 170 ? So lets say he fixes all the mistakes the made against Nate he can deal with Lawler, Wonderboy, Condit, Matt, etc ?

I think he could be competitive at 155 with some of the top guys. Top 5 he will struggle but might win some depending on the matchup and how he performs. He won't be champion there unless he gets a immediate title shot against a favorable match-up and fights a brilliant fight. 

At 170 maybe he can beat some gatekeepers but that's about it. Lawler, Wonderboy, Condit, Brown will all destroy him. 

Nothing has changed on Conor,his grappling has always been questioned,his size questioned and going into that last fight i even mentioned his cardio.I noticed he looked really tired and that after only 1-2 rounds with Chad,so i said if Nate was smart he should do everything to force it into later rounds.As is Nate didn't need to Conor tired himself out lol and that again was only round 2.

Remember for awhile now people kept talking about Conor's only loss was at 155 to Duffy and Duffy is not even that big,he actualy looks very small to me at 155.Nate is NOT a 170 fighter,i don't car what anyone says,he is a 155 fighter and now Conor has suffered both losses at 150 a weight class he actually belongs in.

Archived