What we learned from UFC 196

PlatinumP

OK kids, here is what we learned from UFC 196:

1. If you think you are going to be a fighter in the UFC and have basically no ground game then you won't be holding a championship belt for too long.

2. Nate Diaz likely has brain damage and probably could survive and direct hit to the head with an 8 pound sledgehammer.

3. McGregor doesn't hit hard enough to knock out Nate Diaz and should have been more defensive. Which begs the question of who actually hits hard enough to knock Nate Diaz out? Heavyweights maybe?

4. Dana White will spoil every Women's Bantamweight Championship celebration unless it Ronda Rousey who wins it. Otherwise, we'll be hearing about Ronda from him.

5. Everyone still wants to see McGregor's next fight and will pay for it. People could GAF about Nate Diaz's next fight and no way he headlines a PPV.

What else?

1. If you think you are going to be a fighter in the UFC and have basically no ground game then you won't be holding a championship belt for too long.

2. Nate Diaz likely has brain damage and probably could survive and direct hit to the head with an 8 pound sledgehammer.

3. McGregor doesn't hit hard enough to knock out Nate Diaz and should have been more defensive. Which begs the question of who actually hits hard enough to knock Nate Diaz out? Heavyweights maybe?

4. Dana White will spoil every Women's Bantamweight Championship celebration unless it Ronda Rousey who wins it. Otherwise, we'll be hearing about Ronda from him.

5. Everyone still wants to see McGregor's next fight and will pay for it. People could GAF about Nate Diaz's next fight and no way he headlines a PPV.

What else?

1. Mcgregor im sure has a ground game but when your tired and you feel 'The Diaz Hands' you forget all you learned in training. In this case it was more 'The Diaz Hands' than conor being tired.

2. Always had brain damage and can survive a 8 pound sledgehammer.

3. NO ONE

4. Duh

5. I could care less who Mcgregor fights next  and wont pay for it like i did this one (I would bet he fights a midget though) i will watch his next fight though cause i watch almost all except those on fight pass (lol) as for diaz, i GAF what both diaz bros do whether exposing cans or throwing the commision for 5.(would pay)

What i learned.

It was confirmed what i thought that Conor would not just be able to bully bigger guys with chins and he'd have to use a more stick n move strategy or risk getting tired, demoralized, out grappled and battered. He fell in love and bought his own KO hype too much and it cost him. 

Holly's grappling in the clinch is solid but she can be taken down when she's caught striking and her ground game off her back and back defense is suspect. Once she plugs those holes she's gonna be damn hard to beat. She's already damn hard to beat but those are areas that can be exploited.  

Honda is still haunted. 

Nate puts the G in Gracie fighter. Robbie will KO him. 

I think that has to do with the weight and muscle gain.. and doing it so quickly

He didn't gain as much as you think. He was weighing around 160 on fight night during fw fights. He looked slot bigger without the cut. In 3 months you aren't going to gain more than a couple of pounds of muscle unless you are roided.

He didn't gain as much as you think. He was weighing around 160 on fight night during fw fights. He looked slot bigger without the cut. In 3 months you aren't going to gain more than a couple of pounds of muscle unless you are roided.

And he has a FW belt to defend, he's not going to be changing his physique drastically for what was scheduled to be a LW fight when he is already a HUGE FW. 

It's getting annoying hearing people saying Conor has no ground game. He has a ground game it's just average to good but not great. 

You guys are retarded. Consider what happened in the fight....he blew his wad, got beat up then panic desperate not to mention Nate is a highly skilled grappler. 

This is like Gunner losing to Maia and people suddenly saying Gunner has no ground game. lmfao GTFO. 

From what i've seen of Conor's mma grappling. 

He's got decent TD's when need be off of striking as he did in against Max. 

He's got decent TDD if he uses mobility to keep distance undehook, limp leg out, sprawl and stuff the head etc. but when he gets caught striking midstream his TDD is Condit level poor. 

His clinch is sorta weak. He's decent defensively off the cage. In the center his base, pummeling and hand fighting need work and because of the weak base and such he's not a threat offensively. He's completely defensive and just tries to break and he's often off balance. 

His ability to stack, pass & GnP the guard is very very good. Perhaps the best part of his mma grappling game. 

His top control and transitions to advance or maintain position are solid. 

His escapes from guillotines are very solid. 

He needs work off his back when his guard is passed i.e. under side control, mount, back mount he is still not very comfortable defending in those positions. 

His guard is basic but he can survive with it. He's not a threat with subs or sweeps but he can use distance to strike and get up and he's decent with hand fighting and clinching to control posture and not get punished there. 

I only bought that card for Nate. If I wasn't going to get to see Nate batter a ginger I wouldn't have bought that **** to be honest.

If Comber rematches Aldo, I ain't buying it. If he fights anyone other than Blessed or Edgar, I won't even bother to illegally stream that ****.

What else?

McGregor gassed from putting on a lot of muscle plus beating on Diaz for 1 and a half rounds

1. Mcgregor im sure has a ground game but when your tired and you feel 'The Diaz Hands' you forget all you learned in training. In this case it was more 'The Diaz Hands' than conor being tired.

2. Always had brain damage and can survive a 8 pound sledgehammer.

3. NO ONE

4. Duh

5. I could care less who Mcgregor fights next  and wont pay for it like i did this one (I would bet he fights a midget though) i will watch his next fight though cause i watch almost all except those on fight pass (lol) as for diaz, i GAF what both diaz bros do whether exposing cans or throwing the commision for 5.(would pay)

pretty sure point 1 was about Holly Holm,  she thought BJJ was a way to describe some quality fellatio.  Mcgregor's jits is legit.

Agreed with everything but not with #5.

#1 goes beyond just grappling. Conor showed a very suspicious cardio and heart too and his chin can only handle the midgets punch.

#1 referred to Holly Holm's lack of a ground game :)

Connor was stunned. He took it to the ground (and failed) to try to survive the round. Connor was already finished when he went to the ground. If it stayed standing, Connor would have been KO'd. :(

Agreed with everything but not with #5.

So you believe people are currently ready to reach in their wallet and pull out $60 for a Nate Diaz headlined PPV?

Now, what about McGregor vs. RDA or McGregor vs. Edgar or McGregor vs Aldo 2?  Will people pay for those? I think they will. :)

I don't really care what happens next.  I'm just so overjoyed that Diaz ruined the ufc's hype train.  Conor will be a gatekeeper in 1 year's time and in that time he will have lost to Aldo and another contender, possibly Edgar. 

I don't think this changes anything. Diaz didn't really improve his stock by much and McGregor's stock may have even went up a little after it all settles out.

Conor had lost before and he came back much improved. He needs to see the holes he still has in his game and he'll do just that. He has one of the strongest minds in the game

He lost that fight for one main reason:

He came in with all offense and when that didn't work in round 1 he didn't even attempt to be defensive in round 2.

Most people are going to get KTFO if they stand in front of a fighter with their hands down.

McGregor could have won if he would have used he speed and picked Diaz apart and not just load up for the kill shots until he was tired. :)

I would watch again but want the fight at 155 and not 170.

McGregor was only 168 at the weigh-in. (2 lbs under) He is not a welterweight at that point and doesn't belong fighting at welterweight. That isn't why he lost, but it didn't help.

Apparently Conors ground game is decent.  Repeating what Rogan said, if you got punched in the head & got rocked you would have trouble walking in a straight line, let alone execute your ground game defence against a black belt judo guy.

The only reason he went to the ground is that if he kept standing in front of him he would have been knocked out, least he avoided actually being ko'd which is the healthier option.

Wrong. 100% not true. You are basing this off inferior genetics. Men can gain multiple pounds of muscle in a week.

Archived