• Heath Ledger
    • Mark Hamill
    • Jack Nicholson
    • Troy Baker
    • Jared Leto
    • Cesar Romero

Cesar Romero 6th

joker-romero-195717.jpg

While Cesar Romero's Joker might not have the most depth, he was certainly having the most fun, and that is a big part of the Joker persona.

Romero's Joker was over the top in every way, but he always seemed like he was having the best time of his life, and his laugh was infectious.

Jared Leto 5th

joker-leto-195718.jpg

With only a small sample size from which to form an opinion, Jared Leto's take on the villain still has some worthy qualities to highlight. His Joker is unpredictable, but in a different way than Nicholson's.

Leto's Joker is unpredictable as well, but he purely lives in the moment. If he catches a whiff of something, he grows curious and instantly becomes infatuated with that particular thing, person, or object.

Troy Baker 4th

joker-troy-baker-195719.jpg

The one Arkham game Hamill wasn't involved in for this game, the studio enlisted actor Troy Baker, who delivers a Hamill like Joker with a few quirks and touches of his own. There is a slightly edgier quality to Baker's Joker, which was displayed on screen again when he reprised the role of Joker in DC's animated Batman: Assault On Arkham.

Jack Nicholson 3rd

joker-nicholson-195720.jpg

There are many fans who still rank Jack's Joker as their favourite, and it's hard to argue with their reasons. Nicholson's Joker charming yet deadly, and did so without being as dark as future portrayals. In fact, this Joker was a bit more unpredictable than any other iteration.

Heath Ledger 2nd

joker-heath-195722.jpg

Heath Ledger's casting was met with an extraordinary amount of cynicism and caution, and yet the actor delivered one of the most mesmerizing performances of his career as Batman's greatest enemy.

It's an at time disturbingly accurate glance at what someone like the Joker would be like in real life, and Ledger's performance commands your attention every time he's on screen.

Mark Hamill 1st

joker-arkhamverse-195723.jpg

Hamill has been voicing the Joker for nearly 25 years. His Joker laugh is the gold standard of which all others are compared.  

Hamill initially started his Joker career on the 1992 Batman: The Animated Series. It featured an unforgettable performance throughout its lengthy run and ever since he has become synonymous with the character.

In 2009 Hamill was allowed to let loose, and fully embrace the darker machinations of the character wit the release of Batman: Arkham Asylum and the beginning of the Arkhamverse. The iconic laugh and humour that was evident in his previous performances were still on point, but the actor had some additional agency to explore the viciousness that the character has become known for over the years.

Hamill is the best because of his blending of humour and wit with a constant underlying tension that gets capped off with that often imitated but never quite duplicated Joker laugh.

Do you agree with this list? If not pick who you thought was best and worst in the two polls.

Great list. I agree with the order as well. I might put Nicholson ahead of Ledger on any given day depending on what movie I saw last but both of those performances are in the same league to me. However, it's been a long time since I saw the Michael Keaton batmans so that opinion could change I guess. Hammil is just the iconic gold standard and is pretty untouchable IMHO.

I do believe in the casting of Leto as the joker and they really did need to go in a completely different direction with the character (similar to how Ledger did). With the reports of how much material they cut from the film and how average Suicide Squad was as a whole hurts his case tremendously. I'd like to see him have another crack at it though. 

Never heard Hamill as Joker since somebody else synchronized the video game Joker here.

But my all time favorite is Heath. He was one of a kind and it's a shame that there was never a part two of him as The Joker.

tumblr_mo4otdVnUz1su2ixao1_400.gif

In terms of live action I honestly think the rest couldn't hold a candle to Heath.

Heath Ledger's joker was one of the best cinema performances of all time but if you don't vote Mark Hamill you're retarded.

I'm not voting Mark Hamill because i never saw the others. I've only seen Romero, Jack and Heath and Ledger is the GOAT. I think i did watch the 1992 cartoon animated series when i was a teen but i don't remember it much.

I still wouldn't vote Hamill because i don't see how voice acting can top Heath's performance which was one of the best of any movie I've seen.  

Archived