Who's fault is it anyway?

Bubba_Sparks

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame for the discrepancy in pay?

• The UFC
    • The Fighters
    • The Fans
    • No-one, it's just one of those things.

On Friday night, two fighters conducted themselves with dignity and courtesy.  No bottles were thrown, no F-bombs were dropped, they didn't insult each other and they quietly answered the questions they were asked.

24 hours later, one of them stepped forward and uppercutted the other into oblivion in a meaningful conclusion to a fight with real consequences to the division in which they fight.

Compare and contrast that with the Conor/Nate freakshow.

Yet Rumble and Glover had a fight purse worth $335k v Nate/Conor's purse of $5M.  They would have had to fight 15 times to earn as much as Nate and Conor did.

Does this bother you?  Does it not seem quite right?  And if it is an issue, who's to blame?

Nate and Conor have more bargaining power because they were the show.

No one is paying for a card headlined by Rumble vs Glover. That's just the sad truth.

Anyone who knew anything about MMA knew Rumble would win by first round KO. It's not exciting when you know what's going to happen.

It boils down to who can attract the most casuals. There's between 400-700K hardcore fans that will buy PPV's for good fights on their merit alone. You need someone with name recognition with casuals to break a million buys. 

I watched this card the other night with some old friends from high school. We were having a party for my buddy who is in the navy and came home on leave, and I bought the PPV and we projected it onto the fence in the backyard (awesome way to watch the fights btw).

McGregor and Diaz were the only fighters on the card that anyone other than myself had heard of. 

No one is paying for a card headlined by Rumble vs Glover. That's just the sad truth.

Anyone who knew anything about MMA knew Rumble would win by first round KO. It's not exciting when you know what's going to happen.

I really do think it is sad.

Rumble was simply awesome, and is an absolute gent (well, when he's not beating up his missus).

But the forum is red hot with Mcgregor/Nate alone.

I think i've made my conclusion.

Doesn't bother me and i'm not surprised mother ****er. 

Fans love drama. The sport used to be about barbaric savage **** fighting but when everyone became a mixed martial artists and rules came into play and all the hespect for the martial arts and sense of honor went out the window no one cared anymore and the spectacle of combat almost died out.  

Compare this male soap opera MMA has become to the WWE model it followed.

Would anyone actually tune in to wrasslin' if everyone was respectful, had honor and didn't engage in drama filled story lines with plot twist? 

When the cameras are rolling. I've heard otherwise lots of times, and the women he comes across say much different.

This is very true. If we only went by what people said on camera then Jon Jones would be a gentleman too.

It goes in reverse too. Nate acts like a thug on camera but is famously very fan friendly out in the world. He was even nice enough to not slap the dog **** out of Beiber when he ran into him at the club after Beiber was talking ****.

This is very true. If we only went by what people said on camera then Jon Jones would be a gentleman too.

It goes in reverse too. Nate acts like a thug on camera but is famously very fan friendly out in the world. He was even nice enough to not slap the dog **** out of Beiber when he ran into him at the club after Beiber was talking ****.

I can confirm this myself.

Nate saw me taking a photo of him from probably twenty feet away, and stopped to pose for it. Nick Diaz walked right by me and I was taking a picture as he walked, and he goes "Do you want to take a picture, dude?". If you're not trying to fight with them, they're actually really cool guys.

Nate saw me taking a photo of him from probably twenty feet away, and stopped to pose for it. Nick Diaz walked right by me and I was taking a picture as he walked, and he goes "Do you want to take a picture, dude?". If you're not trying to fight with them, they're actually really cool guys.

Post it!

If you have met Nate and he was that cool, why all the hate? 

Post it!

If you have met Nate and he was that cool, why all the hate? 

I'm a troll.  :(

IMG_20150801_210935381_zpsjiuey9zi.jpg

You can see Nate in the background. Nick was going to get a drink, and let himself past that velvet rope. lol.. The convo went:

"Do you want to take a picture, dude?" - Nick

"I do, but I know a line will form if we do it right now..." - Me

"I'm just going to get a drink, I'll be right back." - Nick

"Hell yeah, man. We'll do it then. Thanks man." - Me

Then Khabib started fighting with Nate, and Nick came down in a hurry to get to all that, understandably. Then he threw his drink on Khabib. 

RIP $20 drink.  :(

The fans, because ultimately the fighters get paid based on how much the fans are interested in them, because that's what brings in the money that the UFC pays the fighters with.

Yea but the fans only care about fighters that are unique. 

Ronda Rousey

Anderson Silva

GSP

Chuck Lidell

Tito Ortiz

Brock Lesnar

Jon Jones

and the most unique of them all

Conor McGregor

People still seem to think the UFC is a real sport?? You have to sell your fights to make money. No one wants to see you "keep it classy" unless you're as dominant as GSP or Silva. Otherwise you better be running your mouth or expect to be paid less. For as good of a matchup Glover v Rumble is, 95% of the crowd were tuning in for Conor v Diaz.

Money wise, the reason for your fight is just as important as the fight itself. This isn't football.

People still seem to think the UFC is a real sport?? You have to sell your fights to make money. No one wants to see you "keep it classy" unless you're as dominant as GSP or Silva. Otherwise you better be running your mouth or expect to be paid less. For as good of a matchup Glover v Rumble is, 95% of the crowd were tuning in for Conor v Diaz.

Money wise, the reason for your fight is just as important as the fight itself. This isn't football.

GSP was never dominant

Anyone who knew anything about MMA knew Conor was going to run

It doesn't bother me.  It happens in every sport and in every company.  In football, bench warmers get 50K - 100K while super stars make a few millions a year.   Guys who lift boxes get minimum wage and the idiot supervisor makes over $20 per hour while the plant manager drinks coffee and catches up on facebook for 200K per year. 

why were you taking pictures of dudes?

The fans, because ultimately the fighters get paid based on how much the fans are interested in them, because that's what brings in the money that the UFC pays the fighters with.

well i take the other side to this arguement, the ufc could take a long term strategic approach and position their titles to mean more than a circus act. rumble and glover could have headlined a ufc themselves and earnt alot more as the headline. conjobber is actually COSTING them money.  of course the ufc don't need to take this approach until they are no longer a monopoly

well i take the other side to this arguement, the ufc could take a long term strategic approach and position their titles to mean more than a circus act. rumble and glover could have headlined a ufc themselves and earnt alot more as the headline. conjobber is actually COSTING them money.  of course the ufc don't need to take this approach until they are no longer a monopoly

I agree that they could, and should be positioning their titles better, but personalities will always be what sells fights above anything else.

On Friday night, two fighters conducted themselves with dignity and courtesy.  No bottles were thrown, no F-bombs were dropped, they didn't insult each other and they quietly answered the questions they were asked.

24 hours later, one of them stepped forward and uppercutted the other into oblivion in a meaningful conclusion to a fight with real consequences to the division in which they fight.

Compare and contrast that with the Conor/Nate freakshow.

Yet Rumble and Glover had a fight purse worth $335k v Nate/Conor's purse of $5M.  They would have had to fight 15 times to earn as much as Nate and Conor did.

Does this bother you?  Does it not seem quite right?  And if it is an issue, who's to blame?

You want Rumble to KTFO Glover 15 times?? You sick son of a ****!

It doesn't bother me.  It happens in every sport and in every company.  In football, bench warmers get 50K - 100K while super stars make a few millions a year.   Guys who lift boxes get minimum wage and the idiot supervisor makes over $20 per hour while the plant manager drinks coffee and catches up on facebook for 200K per year.

In the NFL in 2007, the rookie minimum wage was $275,000, for a 10 year veteran it was over $800,000. It comes down to what percentage of the total revenue goes to the fighters, so the UFC is screwing the fighters. It doesn't bother me if the headliners get most of it. Conor got $5 million, Mayweather got $200 million.

In the NFL in 2007, the rookie minimum wage was $275,000, for a 10 year veteran it was over $800,000. It comes down to what percentage of the total revenue goes to the fighters, so the UFC is screwing the fighters. It doesn't bother me if the headliners get most of it. Conor got $5 million, Mayweather got $200 million.

Conor got 3

Well, you get the point...

in NBA 50% of the total revenue goes to the players, in UFC its 15% or something. Theres some TV deal renewal that's happening in 2018 or something that is meant to increase the revenue 400% which is where the $4bn UFC sale price comes from, that is meant to address the fighter pay situation.

in NBA 50% of the total revenue goes to the players, in UFC its 15% or something. Theres some TV deal renewal that's happening in 2018 or something that is meant to increase the revenue 400% which is where the $4bn UFC sale price comes from, that is meant to address the fighter pay situation.

it's about 40%. difference is that in the ufc, the fighters are independent contractors as opposed to actual employees of a franchise and there is a players union supported by the players who negotiate their collective bargaining agreement.

up to the fighters or law to change that, because the ufc won't.

Archived