Researchers claim analysis of 3.2m-year-old skeleton of ‘grandmother of humanity’ shows injuries consistent with those of humans falling from a tree

fobar

The ancient human ancestor known as Lucy may have met her death more than 3m years ago when she tumbled out of a tree and crashed to the woodland floor, a team of US researchers claim.

A fresh analysis of the “grandmother of humanity” points out a number of cracks in the fossil bones that the scientists say match traumatic fractures seen in humans who suffer serious injuries from high falls on to hard ground.

“The consistency of the pattern of fractures with what we see in fall victims leads us to propose that it was a fall that was responsible for Lucy’s death,” said John Kappelman, an anthropologist who led the study at the University of Texas in Austin. “I think the injuries were so severe that she probably died very rapidly after the fall.”

But the claims, published in the prestigious journal Nature, were roundly dismissed by scientists who spoke to the Guardian. They point out that a lot can happen to a skeleton in 3.2m years. Lucy’s body may have been trampled by stampeding beasts before sediment covered the bones and gradually encased them in rock.

“There is a myriad of explanations for bone breakage,” said Donald Johanson at Arizona State University, who discovered Lucy more than 40 years ago in the Afar region of Ethiopia. “The suggestion that she fell out of a tree is largely a “just-so story” that is neither verifiable nor falsifiable, and therefore unprovable.”

So just really hungry

lol one of my best friends I ever had was Ethiopian

but he was born in Sudan and his family moved to Dallas when he was a baby.  No accent no nothing.  Skinny as a rail.  

He was one of my buddies who was in the poker scene at the same time as me, we generally ate the same things most days there was a game, he stayed tiny, I gained 45 pounds lol.  

lol one of my best friends I ever had was Ethiopian

but he was born in Sudan and his family moved to Dallas when he was a baby.  No accent no nothing.  Skinny as a rail.  

He was one of my buddies who was in the poker scene at the same time as me, we generally ate the same things most days there was a game, he stayed tiny, I gained 45 pounds lol.  

lol I hear you.. except its usually my friends getting fat not me 

lol I hear you.. except its usually my friends getting fat not me 

bro I weighed 115-120 pounds until I was 21, My fat *** is 178 right now. 

a healthy weight for me would be like 135-140 and if I was a fighter I'd be competing at straweight lol, that's how thin my my frame is itself

How tall are you?

This. I'm only 5 ft. 11 and my frame isn't giant but like 170 ish is my ideal lowest weight before i'd start to feel unhealthy. Right now i walk around at about 178 to 185. 

I'm pretty muscular even though i'm not really swole & i have very little fat on me. I'm kinda like Hendo in that i'm not massive but i'm just built dense. In particular my legs, back, abs, shoulders and forearms are like a piece of wood. 

• 2 months later...

Archived