Is Running away now an acceptable defence in the UFC??

NangaParbatWinter16

Is Running away now acceptable in the Octagon  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is it Acceptable to run away during a fight or should it be punished

• Yes it is acceptable its a form of defence
    • No it should result in a warning and then point deduction

I remember a few years back Kalib Starnes was absolutely torn apart from running during his fight with Nate Quarry and rightly so, He was mercilessly mocked all over the internet and by other fighters and he never fought in the UFC ever again with Dana stating "He just does not belong in the UFC and he should consider a new line of work"

Then of course Carlos Condit repeatedly turned and ran (though nowhere near as bad) in a high profile fight vs Nick Diaz and we then saw smaller named fighters doing it, then Conor repeatedly ran during the 2nd fight with Nate again not as bad as Kalib. Saturday night we saw Overeem who may have been worse than Starnes SPRINTING AWAY from Stipe Miocic like a child.

So is turning and running away an acceptable part of the sport now? Is this supposed resetting yourself a new form of defence that is no longer ridiculed but accepted?

Personally I was embarrassed for Overeem on Sunday morning

If it's bad then yes.

If someone is getting drilled in the pocket or against the cage and circles out or "runs away" to reset that is fine. IMO, blatant running should have a warning, then a point deducted. Overreem's running should have been a point deduction or telling him that disengaging to blatantly run results in a tko loss. That was the worse running I have seen in some time.

I welched on nothing pal the bet was AV and Sig but its not really about me this thread is it its about whether running away should become illegal in MMA or even IS it illegal under the Timidity rule

Imo what Condit and Conor did while frowned upon and cringe worthy isn't near as bad what Starnes and Overeem did.

Both Condit and Conor retreated to get off the cage and reset

Starnes refused to fight.

Overeem straight up fled for dear life.

It all depends.  If you lose your fans and make boring fights, then you should be canned.

Points should be deducted after certain amounts of running (such as the Guida fight). 

The Conor fight and Overeem fight weren't worthy of point deductions.  Diaz was able to chase Conor down.  Stipe was able to chase Overeem down.  If they hadn't chased them down, then maybe point deductions would have been in order.  At most they made their haters happy and gave them fun images to share.  Any time you get one of those gems, though, it worthy of ridicule. 

Conor was fighting safe as ****, he basically had to save face, if he lost that second fight his career was ruined.  It's already partially ruined for losing the first one.  

Everybody knows that nate's weakness is leg kicks.  The first thing Conor did was go across the cage, very first move was a kick to the leg.  It even looked bad.  He got better at it after a while but kept going back to it.  By the 5th round, Conor's leg was all ****ed up from giving the kicks (he complained about in the presser), so he decided he didn't want to kick anymore, lol.  So then he started running across the ring so Nate had to walk on his ****ed up leg.

Running doesn't let you get rested, Conor was doing it becuase like the leg kick, it was part of his corner's plan to win, **** up Nate's leg then make him move across the cage over and over again with a ****ed up leg.  

hater's won't believe that, but that's what it was.  

It wasn't running but didn't Anderson get warned against Maia that if he didn't engage, he had 3 rounds of standing there, he'd get a point deducted. I guess if you keep doing it it could result in a point deduction but I always think running will result in you getting caught as you always have your back to them. I was shouting at the tv when Conor was doing it expecting him to get tagged if Nate charged. 

I think the resulting humiliation, loss of fans, respect is good enough penalty for the minor cases where a guy has tried to get out of a "corner". But the Starnes and Reem cases were so severe a point could be deducted pretty easily. 

The extent of Reem's sprint actually left him incredibly open and defenceless for a second and Stipe nearly decapitated him so there is that pitfall to the run maneuver as well lol.

Running shows a fighter has had garbage training,it does NOTHING to aid his fight.I can't stand seeing fighters run,they SHOULD be staying in the pocket with hands up and moving side to side.When you run or turn and run,it puts you off balance and in no position to counter,it really is a stupid act by any fighter.

Btw Starnes may have been the worst but that was for a whole different reason and had NOTHING to do with the fight.That was the UFC illegally not paying his medical,so he figured wtf,why would i risk LOSING money when i am already underpaid,i'll just collect my pittance and walk away or err run away.

If these other fighters want to run,i say let them,they are only hurting themselves not helping.Example in case of the Diaz fight,that was all 100% Nick's fault because he did NOTHING when Carlos was moving away,all he did was wave his arms and trash talk.When a guy runs,you go after him,he is extremely vulnerable,if you don't,then your an idiot and in that case Diaz was an idiot.Perfect example was the Starnes fight,he LOST that fight by running,so what is Diaz's excuse,if Carlos was running it should have made for an EASY win.

Have to confess I've only just seen the fight...that was pretty shocking. There's trundling away a couple of times to "reset", then there's repeatedly literally running for your life to avoid an exchange. The first is debatable, the second is embarrassing and should definitely receive a points deduction.

Poor Reem though....that post-fight interview was one of the most awkward ones I've seen. Guy clearly believed without a shadow of a doubt that stipe had tapped but he did have a scrambled brain at the time. Thought it was pretty uncool for them to keep rolling the footage over and over.

Condit, McGregor and Overeem all ran at different times for different reasons and it's hard to draw a line between what's generally accepted and what can be put down into written form as to what's worthy of point deductions or eventual disqualification.

Condit used running to get away from the cage, but whatever happened to lateral movement and circling out?

Conor used running to avoid getting into exchanges, preferring to pick his punches and step away, but whatever happened to moving in and out?

Overeem... he used running as his primary method of moving about the octagon, with brief moments when he threw a strike or two. Whatever happened to... fighting?

If it's bad then yes.

If someone is getting drilled in the pocket or against the cage and circles out or "runs away" to reset that is fine. IMO, blatant running should have a warning, then a point deducted. Overreem's running should have been a point deduction or telling him that disengaging to blatantly run results in a tko loss. That was the worse running I have seen in some time.

Worst running EVER.

Archived