So was the CM Punk experiment worth it.

NangaParbatWinter16

If Phil had a carbon copy personality of McGregor & he was a ****, I would have loved it, but he seems like a nice guy who worked hard, so it seemed hard to watch a deluded guy wake up to reality on live TV, but hes rich & has a hot wife & everything so I don't feel that bad.

In my opinion probably not, I would not say it was him bring in the extra 150-000 customerrs considering some card do far higher

What other cards do is irrelevant.

From the UFC's perspective, did he bring in more PPV revenue than his salary cost? If so, it was worth it, and based on early numbers, it seems that it was.

What other cards do is irrelevant.

From the UFC's perspective, did he bring in more PPV revenue than his salary cost? If so, it was worth it, and based on early numbers, it seems that it was.

the thing about this is it is not just a base pay of $500,000 they need to recoup they have pumped millions into promoting his first fight, how many interviews has he done, promos, the documentary, etc? The UFC only really has one avenue in which to recoup money on fighters and its the PPV stream. The gate would have sold out even if Punk was out, the Reebok gear is not selling, there is only the PPV and I am sure they do not want to be paying half a million bucks to a guy not main or co main on a card that does under 500,000 buys

If Phil had a carbon copy personality of McGregor & he was a ****, I would have loved it, but he seems like a nice guy who worked hard, so it seemed hard to watch a deluded guy wake up to reality on live TV, but hes rich & has a hot wife & everything so I don't feel that bad.

He undersells what it means to be a fighter in the UFC.  He acts like it's not a big deal that he got to debut as an amateur in the top promotion.

the thing about this is it is not just a base pay of $500,000 they need to recoup they have pumped millions into promoting his first fight, how many interviews has he done, promos, the documentary, etc? The UFC only really has one avenue in which to recoup money on fighters and its the PPV stream. The gate would have sold out even if Punk was out, the Reebok gear is not selling, there is only the PPV and I am sure they do not want to be paying half a million bucks to a guy not main or co main on a card that does under 500,000 buys

The cost of interviews/promos is minimal, and in many cases, they'd be doing that stuff anyway, whether it was for him, or someone else.

The documentary was an added cost, but they likely would've gotten some money from the broadcasters for the right to air it, so they wouldn't have to make up all of that money just on the PPV buys.

If the estimate for the PPV buys is correct, I still think they made more off of him than it cost them. They only needed around 17,000 buys to cover his base salary, and he probably added over 100,000 buys based on the current estimate.

NPW always talks about ufc media marketing as if they're just blowing millions.

Truth is Punk's 500k salary was peanuts compared to what they made of the extra ppvs buys he brought in.

Well they made money out of it so yes

True but I don't think it was enough money to create a freakshow fight.  Not even close IMO.  Yes he sold more PPVs and they made a few bucks off him but it makes the promotion look bad for someone with no amateur fights to get a fight against a 2-0 kid that stomps him in 2 minutes.

Dana told a 290 pound NCAA division 1 national champion wrestler that he had to go crush some can before he could fight in the UFC...

People were crying about Gall wrasslin' him even though CM Punk was a PROFESSIONAL WRASSLER!

If they want to see him stand and bang for all of 6 seconds they can book him against Platinum Perry after he kills that British idiot.

Those two amateurs are taking everything that Platinum Perry worked for!

Archived