Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Mike Goldberg on Departure: New Owners ‘Took 15 Minutes to Destroy The UFC’

Mike Goldberg’s last hurrah as one of the true voices of the the world’s premier MMA promotion fell at UFC 207 on Dec. 30, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

There was no grand gesture or tribute afforded to highlight the 19+ years of service given by the popular commentator, which was underwhelming for fighters and fans alike.

On Monday’s episode of the MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani, the former ‘voice of the octagon’ spoke about shock of receiving news that his contract would not be renewed:

“Around December 1, I got the news that my contract would not be renewed. So I was given about a month’s notice and I had a couple of shows left. I had Urijah Faber’s last show, which was awesome. I had the trip to Toronto, and of course UFC 207 was my last show.”

When asked of his initial reaction when finding out that he was being let go, Goldberg said:

“It was a shock, I was speechless and I didn’t know what kind of emotion to have because I was just in a state of shock and disbelief.”

Goldberg was very diplomatic in expressing his sentiments towards the UFC, and held back from firing any shots at Dana White and co:

“Here’s the real situation. I’m no different than the guy in merchandise or 15 vice presidents who got let go or the entire team in Canada that was shut down,” he said.

“I am not the only guy that was let go by the new ownership. It was well over 100 people. I’m the one being talked about because I had the high-profile job. But I’m not going to sit here and weep because new ownership came in and I was one of the guys who got cut,” he added.

“I was one of a lot of people, a lot of good people from the ZUFFA era that got caught. So I feel for my co-workers, for my friends as much as I felt for myself. I watched everything around me be shattered. It took 15 years to build this wonderful family, and it felt like it took 15 minutes to destroy it. And it was a really tough time, and it’s still a tough time because there may be more to come. This is not uncommon with an ownership change.”

• Like 6

Did they mention it all during his last broadcast? My stream was a bit sketchy.

No.

He alluded to it during his send off, but if you're a casual fan who doesn't read MMA websites, you'll be surprised when he's not calling 208 (well, 209 since no casual fan is going to buy 208).

• Like 4

I really recommend listening to the interview. I watched it last night:

He joined around the two hour mark of the video.

• Like 3

Fertittas need to get mike a job broadcasting for whatever NFL team they buy into

In the interview, he mentions potentially trying to get in as the announcer for the new Vegas hockey team, which makes more sense since he has done hockey announcing in the past.

• Like 1

lol the funny part is U Fight Cheap probably didn't pay him enough to retire, homie will be greeting at your local walmart soon enough

• Like 1

Lost a bit of my respect for Rogan. Didnt even bring it up in his podcasts. Or maybe I just missed it

Rogan probably ratted him out, just like Ghost did to Kanan back in the day

• Like 1

So Rogan who talks better and knows more is the one you don't like? I get the Goldberg love but if I had to chose between them it's not even close.

an entertainment industry full of c list celebrities purchasing a SPORTING promotion ***ing it up

who could have seen that coming

Even though I've always thought Goldberg was a bit of cornball and responsible for some legendary gaffes, I'm totally on his side here. His retelling of events on the MMA hour came off as entirely genuine. I hope he shows up somewhere else in the MMA world soon.

Lost a bit of my respect for Rogan. Didnt even bring it up in his podcasts. Or maybe I just missed it

He's talked about it a few times, although not in great depth. I'll have to go back and skim through his recent podcasts, but he does talk about it on the last fight companion. He also said that him and Mike Goldberg will be friends "until the day I die."

• Like 1

ppv sucks. it is not a format that is going to get bigger.

Yet the UFC had its biggest PPV year ever last year, and the year before that had the most purchased PPV event of all time.

Also, none of this has anything to do with Mike Goldberg.

• Like 2

Yet the UFC had its biggest PPV year ever last year, and the year before that had the most purchased PPV event of all time.

Also, none of this has anything to do with Mike Goldberg.

well,they ought to have growing sales like any other business - but their growth is minimal.

they broke their own reported record of 1.6 million - by reporting 1.65 million? it took them 100 UFCs to break the record set by a WWE guy?

they set a live gate record of $17 million - when boxing ha a record of over $70 million?

the fact is that MMA and the UFC in particular are not growing very much at all. 

they broke their own reported record of 1.6 million - by reporting 1.65 million? it took them 100 UFCs to break the record set by a WWE guy?

I was referring to the overall year, not just one single event.

They had their highest total PPV buys in history last year (for reference: http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/23/14272564/ufc-has-biggest-pay-per-view-year-ever-in-2016).

Also, the 1.6 Million wasn't "their own" reported record, because they don't report PPV buys.

They had their highest average PPV buys in history last year (for reference: http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/23/14272564/ufc-has-biggest-pay-per-view-year-ever-in-2016).

Also, the 1.6 Million wasn't "their own" reported record, because they don't report PPV buys.

I think what has happened here is an example of how you can use statistics to back up your view, if you have an agenda. Mcmax set out to prove a point but didn't take all of the statistics into account. So when somebody aka Cagerattler calls him out on it he is desperately unprepared for the response. 

Interesting

I think what has happened here is an example of how you can use statistics to back up your view, if you have an agenda. Mcmax set out to prove a point but didn't take all of the statistics into account. So when somebody aka Cagerattler calls him out on it he is desperately unprepared for the response. 

Interesting

I think it's more of an example of him trying to change his point after it is proven to be wrong.

His original point was that PPV as a format is not going to get any bigger.

My counter point was that the UFC had their best year in 2016, and in 2015, PPV had its biggest event ever (which was not a UFC event, but his original point was about PPV as a general medium).

His response to that was to bring up the UFC's growth as a company, and the UFC's gate record compared to boxing, both of which were irrelevant to both his original point, and my counter points, as well as the UFC's single show PPV record, which is somewhat relevant to the discussion, but was more misstating one of my counter points.

Now, if he wants to talk about overall UFC business/growth, and how it's looking for 2017, we can have that conversation, and my analysis will be significantly different (I think things look pretty bleak for 2017, which I alluded to in a different thread yesterday), but that's a different conversation/point than what I was originally replying to.

• Like 2

They had their highest total PPV buys in history last year (for reference: http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/1/23/14272564/ufc-has-biggest-pay-per-view-year-ever-in-2016).

regardless of how you carve it up that ufc carcass remains about the same size. There are X number of ppl who will buy anything and Y number of people who will buy some things. When you get all those people together in a room its about 2 million people.

if you are ten years down the road and have a fix deal and reebok deal and are running 30 events a year you had better have some big growth.

They do not.

The whole "mma is the fastest growing sport in the world" thing is FAKE NEWS.

The whole "mma is the fastest growing sport in the world" thing is FAKE NEWS.

I wouldn't say it's fake. I would say it's outdated.

I think there was a point when it was true, but not so much now.

I think it's more of an example of him trying to change his point after it is proven to be wrong.

My counter point was that the UFC had their best year in 2016, and in 2015, PPV had its biggest event ever (which was not a UFC event, but his original point was about PPV as a general medium).

His response to that was to bring up the UFC's growth as a company, and the UFC's gate record compared to boxing, both of which were irrelevant to both his original point, and my counter points, as well as the UFC's single show PPV record, which is somewhat relevant to the discussion, but was more misstating one of my counter points.

Now, if he wants to talk about overall UFC business/growth, and how it's looking for 2017, we can have that conversation, and my analysis will be significantly different (I think things look pretty bleak for 2017, which I alluded to in a different thread yesterday), but that's a different conversation/point than what I was originally replying to.

Mcmax making bodying idiots look easy !

I wouldn't say it's fake. I would say it's outdated.

I think there was a point when it was true, but not so much now.

We definitely had our moment, what do you think beats mma these days?

We definitely had our moment, what do you think beats mma these days?

I don't even know, but I feel like MMA growth is pretty stagnant at this point, so something else has to be growing faster.

• Like 1

Damn Mcmod with the ownage.

I really recommend listening to the interview. I watched it last night:

He joined around the two hour mark of the video.

Oh, god... The first thing I hear when skipping to a little before 2 hours I heard Woodley asking "if you had the chance right now, would you choose to come back as an African American?" Can someone shut this  please!?

they ran 41 events in 2016

they ran 20 events in 2006 when lesnar set the record

how could they not have their best year? It does not prove that ppv is the best way to grow this business

ppv in general runs counter to the way that things are going in the online content world. It they were to charge something like $15 to watch the ME and maybe $5 apiece to the each undercard fight they would be more in step with how people want to buy their stuff now.

they ran 41 events in 2016

they ran 20 events in 2006 when lesnar set the record

how could they not have their best year?

I specifically cited that they had their best PPV year ever. Specifically, total number of PPV buys.

In 2009 (not 2006), when UFC 100 set the single event record, they had 14 PPVs.

In 2016, they had 13.

So your argument makes no sense as a response to my point, because they did more PPV buys last year than in 2009, despite having one less event.

I specifically cited that they had their best PPV year ever. Specifically, total number of PPV buys.

In 2009 (not 2006), when UFC 100 set the single event record, they had 14 PPVs.

In 2016, they had 13.

So your argument makes no sense as a response to my point, because they did more PPV buys last year than in 2009, despite having one less event.

but they have 20 plus tv events on a major network advertising there ppvs.

of course they are going to sell more

if they are not doing significantly more ppvs in 2016 that they did in 2006 then they are moving backwards. they are not creating any new fans.

you are saying that everything is equal and ppv are increasing - which you have not shown

you are saying that everything is equal and ppv are increasing

Your original point was that PPV as a format wasn't going to get any bigger (your exact quote: "ppv sucks. it is not a format that is going to get bigger."). My point was that PPV is actually having some pretty good years recently. My original point wasn't even specific to the UFC, because I also mentioned the 2015 record for most purchased PPV event of all time, which was a boxing fight.

You're the one who took that, and started talking about overall growth of the UFC's business, which is a separate conversation.

My original point was nothing more than simply that PPV is not a dead medium.

You're the one who took that, and started talking about overall growth of the UFC's business, which is a separate conversation.

as i have mentioned the model where you sell a bucketful of crap containing one or two good things is a dying model

people - especially younger people - don't want to buy things they don't want. they want one or two songs off the cd. they want one or two fights off the card.

teh ufc has a core business of maybe 2 million people. Thats it. On their best ppv they can sell about 1.6 million. If they had sold conor vs diaz - just that fight - for $15 they would have sold it to millions of casuals.