Sign in to follow this  
TheSinisterUrge

#BoycottStarbucks

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/starbucks-had-perfect-response-trump-162147338.html

When Starbucks announced its plan to hire 10,000 refugees in the next five years, some customers threatened to boycott the chain.

Those who opposed Starbucks' plan — which the company announced in a letter opposing President Donald Trump's executive order barring people from seven majority-Muslim countries and all refugees from entering the US — claimed that the company failed to provide similar support for veterans.

"Instead of hiring 10,000 AMERICAN VETERANS, #Starbucks has decided to hire 10,000 'refugees,'" a Twitter user wrote. "Calling on all Americans to #BoycottStarbucks!"

Many others echoed the sentiment, including a number of conservative and pro-Trump accounts that said they were furious that Starbucks wasn't hiring veterans.

In fact, Starbucks pledged four years ago to do exactly that.

In 2013, the coffee giant announced a commitment to hire 10,000 veterans by the end of 2018 — in essence, the same commitment that CEO Howard Schultz made on Sunday to refugees. The company says it has hired more than 8,000 veterans and military spouses since 2014.

This program gave Starbucks the ideal response in several Twitter exchanges on Monday.

Scott Baio, an actor and outspoken Trump supporter, asked the chain why it wasn't focusing on hiring "unemployed Blacks, Hispanics, & Veterans."

The coffee giant responded with links to a press release on its recent work to open stores in lower-income communities and a website on its veteran outreach.

While Starbucks was flooded on Monday with threats of a boycott, many people said they supported Schultz's opposition to the executive order and his support for refugees.

Schultz has long been vocal about his political beliefs. He endorsed Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton for president in September and reportedly would have been Clinton's pick for secretary of labor had she won the election.

"We are living in an unprecedented time, one in which we are witness to the conscience of our country, and the promise of the American Dream, being called into question," Schultz wrote in a letter to Starbucks employees announcing the plan on Sunday.

Edited by TheSinisterUrge
  • Like 4

**** Starbucks

I don't drink coffee

Even if I did I could give zero ****s about that company or what they stand for LoL

• Like 6

Starbucks was never my friend. Not because of this though i just don't care for over priced coffee and don't care for pop culture brands.  

I never really was a coffee drinker till recently and i don't have a Starbucks anywhere near me nor would i support one. There's nothing special about them. If i need my coffee fix i'd much rather support my local mom n pops style coffee shop downtown or just buy some cheap dark roast community coffee from the grocery store. 

• Like 5

I wouldn't boycott them over that, but even if I would, it's hard to boycott a company you've never given a dime to.

• Like 8

**** Starbucks

I don't drink coffee

Even if I did I could give zero ****s about that company or what they stand for LoL

^^

• Like 3

**** Starbucks

I don't drink coffee

I feel the same way about Apple. 

• Like 3

Apple doesnt sell coffee silly

I know right lol. They should though. 

Sorta related. You ever seen Bill Burr's bit about Steve Jobs....

• Like 5

**** y'all hating **** ****s.

I'll be drinking my venti white chocolate mocha with the extra gay sprinkled in while you drink your rancid diarrhea from Seattles Worst.

• Like 3

I can see where promising to hire a bunch of refugees who are fleeing a war we started would rustle the alt right

but how many of them actually drink decaf lattes from starbucks?

perhaps a ban on dayglo hunting caps would be more effective

I can see where promising to hire a bunch of refugees who are fleeing a war we started would rustle the alt right

but how many of them actually drink decaf lattes from starbucks?

perhaps a ban on dayglo hunting caps would be more effective

We didn't start the war in Syria. 

Scott Baio, an actor and outspoken Trump supporter, asked the chain why it wasn't focusing on hiring "unemployed Blacks, Hispanics, & Veterans."

once again I have no idea who this person is. Is it someone like Shia Lebouf?

it would be good to know how many unemployed blacks, hispanics and Veterans are being hired by the vast Trump business Empire

of course we did

Right, it was American soldiers in disguise protesting on the streets, and then CIA plants dressed as Syrian soldiers cracking down on the protests that triggered the civil war.

Gr8 detective skills, m8.

• Like 1

Obama and clinton created isis

Things that Trump said is the category?

• Like 1

Assad is to blame for what happened in Syria. For the record, we crushed AQI and had them all but irrelevant until Maliki started ****ting on the Sunni's again when we were gone. If he hadn't been an ****, then they wouldn't have allowed them to regain ground and transform into ISIS. 

You could also blame the English and French dating back to 1919 when they took these countries from the Ottoman empire at the end of the great war.

It's a much more complicated situation that had a number of variables to create the perfect storm we are now in. Blaming any one person is reductionist.

• Like 1

Except for Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane? 

they had over a hundred stores here all over Aus a few years ago, but their coffee is so terrible they ended up closing all but the flagship stores, down to about 20 now. I go past the one in the city in Sydney pretty regularly and theyre never busy. It was a giant fail