Jolldan

All Things Marvel & DC Thread: First Look At Pattinson's Batsuit

If I had to make a top 10 in general it would probably look something like this? In no particular order. 

X Men: Days of Future Past

Avengers Infinity War

Logan

Dark Knight

Wonder Woman

X Men United (Xmen 2) 

X Men First Class

Thor Ragnarok

Cap America Civil War

Captain America Winter Soldier

Honorable Mention: Watchmen, Deadpool, Iron Man 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TUF said:

Now I don't know what to believe because these are surprisingly accurate until Black Wolf Tickets and Captain Marvel. Dr Strange and Cap America 1 get strangely underrated/overlooked with these lists so you earned my hespect. Watched Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 recently after the debate about which was the worst in this thread and I still maintain that Iron Man 3 is by far the worst in the MCU. Thor 2 actually had more redeeming qualities than I remembered. I agree with almost everything else here although GotG2 having the same rating as Thor 1 seems a bit harsh. 

I think Thor 1 is generally underrated. Pretty funny movie, believable romance and introduced Loki who lasted a bunch of movies.

Guardians 2 wasn't bad but I think the jokes were just slightly too frequent. It almost made me cry when Yondu bit the dust, but a generally forgettable movie.

I could discuss Black Panther for days because there's a lot to unpack there. I think they kinda did a disservice to T'Challa in his own movie (who I thought was amazing in Civil War and even better than Spiderman). His suit not being as cool also rustled me pretty hard. With that said, they built an incredible world and had two awesome villains. Some Marvel movies don't even have 1 good villain. Killmonger was amazin' and exposed a conflict that exists in real world between "real" Africans and Americans. The SJW stuff wasn't overboard except for some cringy jokes

Captain Marvel's first half had me pretty entertained but not blown away. I thought it'd be just a fun popcorn movie like Ant-Man 2 was, but then they did that thing with the Skrulls and it was a great reversal of movie cliches, where the ugly green aliens are always literal savages that need to be put down. She went from regular superhero to Goku-level power in a matter of seconds but you have to blame the comics for that.

7 minutes ago, TUF said:

If I had to make a top 10 in general it would probably look something like this? In no particular order. 

Avengers Infinity War

Logan

Dark Knight

Wonder Woman

X Men United (Xmen 2) 

X Men First Class

Thor Ragnarok

Cap America Civil War

Interesting. Top 10 Superhero movies for me would be...

1- Civil War

2- Dark Knight

3- Infinity War

4- Guardians I

5- Logan

6- Spiderman Homecoming

7- Wonder Woman

8- Black Panther

9- Thor Ragnarok

10- X Men First Class

Honorable Mentions: The MCU movies I rated 9.5, Batman Begins, Aquaman, Spiderman 2 (Tobey Maguire)

29 minutes ago, MauroPedrosa said:

I think Thor 1 is generally underrated. Pretty funny movie, believable romance and introduced Loki who lasted a bunch of movies.

Guardians 2 wasn't bad but I think the jokes were just slightly too frequent. It almost made me cry when Yondu bit the dust, but a generally forgettable movie.

I could discuss Black Panther for days because there's a lot to unpack there. I think they kinda did a disservice to T'Challa in his own movie (who I thought was amazing in Civil War and even better than Spiderman). His suit not being as cool also rustled me pretty hard. With that said, they built an incredible world and had two awesome villains. Some Marvel movies don't even have 1 good villain. Killmonger was amazin' and exposed a conflict that exists in real world between "real" Africans and Americans. The SJW stuff wasn't overboard except for some cringy jokes

Captain Marvel's first half had me pretty entertained but not blown away. I thought it'd be just a fun popcorn movie like Ant-Man 2 was, but then they did that thing with the Skrulls and it was a great reversal of movie cliches, where the ugly green aliens are always literal savages that need to be put down. She went from regular superhero to Goku-level power in a matter of seconds but you have to blame the comics for that.

Spoilers

meh, I enjoyed some of the gaps it filled and how it subverted some cliches like you said with the Skrulls, and also the final fight. Marvel avoiding the classic tropes of the final fight. Her ignoring his challenge and just bodying him was pretty refreshing and her just being over powered and wrecking everybody in general was pretty satisfying but there was literally no suspense or emotional investment. Even the Skrulls twist. Having this guy from GotG

Image result for black guy guardians of the galaxy

on her team at the beginning, could see the reversal coming. Being a prequel, you knew all the characters were gonna survive. I gave zero chits about Carol at the end and Marvel has been pretty good at making me care about characters that I never have. Even BBC Panther. 

35 minutes ago, MauroPedrosa said:

Interesting. Top 10 Superhero movies for me would be...

1- Civil War

2- Dark Knight

3- Infinity War

4- Guardians I

5- Logan

6- Spiderman Homecoming

7- Wonder Woman

8- Black Panther

9- Thor Ragnarok

10- X Men First Class

Honorable Mentions: The MCU movies I rated 9.5, Batman Begins, Aquaman, Spiderman 2 (Tobey Maguire)

Including this but not Days of Future Past is blasphemy of the highest order

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 11:39 AM, Bubba_Sparks said:

Who's going to see captain marvel this weekend then? This could be my mcu cinema debut. 

Watched it. 

It was just a superhero movie.  Nothing special, easily forgettable, watch just once type of superhero movie.  I expected a lot of cringe, but happily there was barely any.  No need to see it in the theater unless you just need an excuse to go to the theater.
Samuel Jackson adds some personality to the movie and without him the movie would get a lower rating.  
I'd give it a 6/10

Tips: MCU does 3D very poorly.  Watch Marvel movies in 2D.  No need to pay the extra for 3D.

Edited by TheGreatCatpiss
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:39 PM, Bubba_Sparks said:

Who's going to see captain marvel this weekend then? This could be my mcu cinema debut. 

Some of these movies are near must watches in theaters. Doctor Strange and Infinity War are the best examples

On 3/7/2019 at 10:02 PM, OzStraya said:

The amount of excellent shows that get axed while they give that absolute piece of dog chit of a show Arrow eight fooking seasons enrages me.  It's being cut eight seasons late. Absolute garbage 

It's on the CW.  It's one of the best shows on the CW.  That tells you something about the CW.  The only shows getting axed in favor of it are other teen shows.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:06 AM, Jolldan said:

Started Umbrella Academy last night, only did the first episode but a solid opener if you are looking for something to watch.

My advice to everyone is to wait until next year to watch Umbrella Academy.   It feels like it stops mid season and you have to wait a year to get the next episode.

1 minute ago, TheGreatCatpiss said:

WTF, No Way.  Are you MMA scoring there?

lol Mauro confirmed Disney shill. Maybe it deserves a rewatch cause Black Panther benefited from another viewing but it was such a bore for most of the movie, idk if I could do eet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreatCatpiss said:

WTF, No Way.  Are you MMA scoring there?

Are you a hardcore comics / comic movies fan? I understand Captain Marvel being only okay to a more casual fan.

I'm seeing a lot of outrage on the internet but mostly due to Brie Larson being a SJW off camera. That has zero to do with the movie and I didn't even know it going into it. I went to see the movie with 9 other friends and we all liked / loved it

I've actually read the Secret Invasion comic and that stuff was quite boring. They did a better job than the original material and I have to command them for it

4 minutes ago, TUF said:

lol Mauro confirmed Disney shill. Maybe it deserves a rewatch cause Black Panther benefited from another viewing but it was such a bore for most of the movie, idk if I could do eet. 

I also liked Infinity War more the 2nd time I watched it. Such a gigantic movie with a lot of stuff to unpack

• Like 1

Here are the moments of cringe.  They do not affect the 6/10 rating.

Her dad shows absolutely no concern to her after she's all damaged and bloodied up.  Because men are bad.
Guys at boot camp are bullying/mocking her while she is in the middle of training.  That wouldn't happen.  It could happen where they mock her behind her back, but I doubt it would happen the way they showed it.  They wanted to show men blatantly putting women down and repeated a false stereotype at bootcamp.

But really that's such a small part of the movie that it doesn't trigger cringe.  Some of my friends are going off on how cringey the movie is, and it isn't.

Fortunately, they didn't make it obvious that she's a lesbian as they had originally planned.  I wonder if that will piss off the LGBTQ community.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MauroPedrosa said:

Are you a hardcore comics / comic movies fan? I understand Captain Marvel being only okay to a more casual fan.

I'm seeing a lot of outrage on the internet but mostly due to Brie Larson being a SJW off camera. That has zero to do with the movie and I didn't even know it going into it. I went to see the movie with 9 other friends and we all liked / loved it

I've actually read the Secret Invasion comic and that stuff was quite boring. They did a better job than the original material and I have to command them for it

Sorry, but you've lost all credibility in my eyes when it comes to rating movies.  I see your other MCU ratings and I can somewhat understand them, and then this one makes absolutely no sense.  

This movie was just an okay superhero movie.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatCatpiss said:

Sorry, but you've lost all credibility in my eyes.  I see your other MCU ratings, and then this one.  It makes no sense.  

This movie was just an okay superhero movie.  

Or maybe we just disagree.

internet-serious-business.jpg

1 minute ago, MauroPedrosa said:

Or maybe we just disagree.

Agreed. 

That said...  I don't want to mislead anyone here that hasn't watched the movie.  You are setting expectations too high, and people are going to get upset.

I wasn't even bothered by the things she said in the tour, even though alienating the majority of comic book fans (white males) by saying you don't care because this wasn't made for them, that it was made for females of color...ok. I was more bothered by how hollow the movie seemed. I never found any of it cringey but as a white American male, it's bizarre they chose to attack that group of people in Black Panther and Captain Marvel. We get it, white American men are bad.

43 minutes ago, TUF said:

I wasn't even bothered by the things she said in the tour, even though alienating the majority of comic book fans (white males) by saying you don't care because this wasn't made for them, that it was made for females of color...ok. I was more bothered by how hollow the movie seemed. I never found any of it cringey but as a white American male, it's bizarre they chose to attack that group of people in Black Panther and Captain Marvel. We get it, white American men are bad.

At least her leaked nekkid pics were decent 

1 hour ago, MauroPedrosa said:

At least her leaked nekkid pics were decent 

Don't go pretending you don't prefer men all of a sudden m8

sfBUmDj (1).gif

Edited by OzStraya
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

Don't go pretending you don't prefer men all of a sudden m8

sfBUmDj (1).gif

Dang, I always pegged Bruce as all balls but that ratio is a bit disappointing 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, TUF said:

Avengers Infinity War

Logan

Dark Knight

Wonder Woman

X Men United (Xmen 2) 

X Men First Class

Thor Ragnarok

Cap America Civil War

I will be avoiding this until tomorrow away to go see Captain Marvel tonight so will join the debate after that.

I like the idea of this though everyone post your top 10.

In no particular order mine would be

1. Infinity War
  2. Avengers
  3. Batman Begins
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Watchmen
  6. Logan
  7. Civil War
  8. X-Men First Class
  9. Spider-Man
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Honourable mentions: Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, Wonder Woman

So I finally went in to see Captain Marvel last night.

Overall I would give it a 6.5/7 out of 10 its by no means a terrible movie but if I had to rate it in amongst all the other Marvel movies I would probably rate it 17th because honestly I can only think of 4 Marvel movies I enjoyed less than this one Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Ant-Man & The Wasp.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jolldan said:

So I finally went in to see Captain Marvel last night.

Overall I would give it a 6.5/7 out of 10 its by no means a terrible movie but if I had to rate it in amongst all the other Marvel movies I would probably rate it 17th because honestly I can only think of 4 Marvel movies I enjoyed less than this one Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Ant-Man & The Wasp.

you fookin wat m8

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Jolldan said:

I will be avoiding this until tomorrow away to go see Captain Marvel tonight so will join the debate after that.

I like the idea of this though everyone post your top 10.

In no particular order mine would be

1. Infinity War
  2. Avengers
  3. Batman Begins
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Watchmen
  6. Logan
  7. Civil War
  8. X-Men First Class
  9. Spider-Man
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Honourable mentions: Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, Wonder Woman

On 3/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, TUF said:

Including this but not Days of Future Past is blasphemy of the highest order

Ant Man and the Wasp was just a better version of Ant Man 1 imo and I could never put it in the bottom four in a world where the Hulk movie exists. 

1 minute ago, TUF said:

you fookin wat m8

Second one didn't do it for me mate lol thought it lost a lot of the Honey I Shrunk The Kids magic of the first one and Lilly character was pretty unlikeable compared to her in Ant-Man.

Walter Goggins was the saving grace but their was only so much he could do.

1 minute ago, TUF said:

I would maybe drop Civil War for DOFP will potentially have a rethink. Batman Begins is a GOAT movie though it going nowhere

top 10 superhero movies

1. Logan
  2. Kick-****
  3. Dark Knight
  4. infinity war
  5. Dark Knight
  6. Watchmen
  7. Thor Ragnarok
  8. Spiderman 2 
  9. Avengers
  10. Captain America Civil War

Honorable mentions: Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, Black Panther 

1 minute ago, brunofr418 said:

top 10 superhero movies

1. Logan
  2. Kick-****
  3. Dark Knight
  4. infinity war
  5. Dark Knight
  6. Watchmen
  7. Thor Ragnarok
  8. Spiderman 2 
  9. Avengers
  10. Captain America Civil War

Honorable mentions: Guardians of the Galaxy, Days of Future Past, Black Panther 

So nice it's voted twice or was this unintentional? 

Really tickles my angus to see Watchmen included in so many lists. Have always felt a deep shame for liking it so much with how many fans hate it and seeing the rest of Zach Snyder's body of work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TUF said:

Really tickles my angus to see Watchmen included in so many lists. Have always felt a deep shame for liking it so much with how many fans hate it and seeing the rest of Zach Snyder's body of work. 

ah my bad i originally had winter soldier at 3 and dark knight at 5 went to swap em and never wrote in winter soldier. just imagine that's at 5. my bad im half asleep in my native American studies class not paying attention to the lecture.

Watchmen is a great film only criticism i could give it is its a bit too long and the pacing is off at parts  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

ah my bad i originally had winter soldier at 3 and dark knight at 5 went to swap em and never wrote in winter soldier. just imagine that's at 5. my bad im half asleep in my native American studies class not paying attention to the lecture.

Watchmen is a great film only criticism i could give it is its a bit too long and the pacing is off at parts  

Yea the 2 biggest complaints i've heard about Watchmen were the pacing and how it went a bit off the source material but if you read the comics the ending was garbo so I'm glad they changed it and the pacing never bothered me because I loved being in the world Snyder built so much that I could have sat in the theater for 10 hours. The Watchmen show looks like fan fiction cabbage :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TUF said:

Yea the 2 biggest complaints i've heard about Watchmen were the pacing and how it went a bit off the source material but if you read the comics the ending was garbo so I'm glad they changed it and the pacing never bothered me because I loved being in the world Snyder built so much that I could have sat in the theater for 10 hours. The Watchmen show looks like fan fiction cabbage :(

i refuse to watch the show. Synder did a great job of adapting a purposely hard to adapt graphic novel. if i remember right the ending didnt differ THAT much from the book. just swapped dr Manhatten for a nameless alien monster which makes sense 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brunofr418 said:

i refuse to watch the show. Synder did a great job of adapting a purposely hard to adapt graphic novel. if i remember right the ending didnt differ THAT much from the book. just swapped dr Manhatten for a nameless alien monster which makes sense 

Yep. Not sure I've ever watched the "ultimate cut" but I've heard all 4 hours of it is really good. 

1 hour ago, TUF said:

Watchmen is GOAT. Rorschach is definitely one of my p4p favourite comic book characters

36 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

Yeah a lot of people seemed to get super salty about this but honestly I thought it was a far superior ending to the comic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MauroPedrosa said:

D1YLyztXgAEkeev.jpg

giphy.gif

High box office =/= high quality

The Transformer movies still rake in millions and are chit. 

Also, have never seen a movie marketed as much as I have Captain Marvel. Not even just by Marvel standards. Was all over my FB wall, TV, and sponsored ads for weeks. Not sure why they dug in so much to make this movie a success but it's a shame that kind of marketing budget wasn't reserved for one of their actually decent entries. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TUF said:

High box office =/= high quality

The Transformer movies still rake in millions and are chit. 

Also, have never seen a movie marketed as much as I have Captain Marvel. Not even just by Marvel standards. Was all over my FB wall, TV, and sponsored ads for weeks. Not sure why they dug in so much to make this movie a success but it's a shame that kind of marketing budget wasn't reserved for one of their actually decent entries. 

Not sure?  The only surprise I got was that she wasn't a trans lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

Not sure?  The only surprise I got was that she wasn't a trans lol 

But they did make her a lesbian for..... reasons.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Enigma_Machine said:

The mcu dies along with thanos, perhaps it will twinkle in it’s afterglow like a dying neutron star but it’s prime will be over

definitely wont be the same but i think theres a lot to look forward to especially now that Disney has the rights to fantastic four and the X-men

• Like 2

Just now, brunofr418 said:

definitely wont be the same but i think theres a lot to look forward to especially now that Disney has the rights to fantastic four and the X-men

Beat me to it. Would be fine if they hit the reset button and built towards a Galactus show down 10 years down the road the way they have with the current MCU. 

But fook the Fantastic Four. 

Nothing will be as engaging as the overarching story of the infinity stones but I think a Galactus storyline is their best hope. Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four have always been the least interesting reoccurring characters in Marvel for me personally but the Xmen/Avenger crossovers should be fun. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TUF said:

Nothing will be as engaging as the overarching story of the infinity stones but I think a Galactus storyline is their best hope. Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four have always been the least interesting reoccurring characters in Marvel for me personally but the Xmen/Avenger crossovers should be fun. 

i think part of the hate for the fantastic four comes from the chit movies they've been given. i was actually just having a conversation with one of my friends about who they should cast to play them and the x men. js if you aren't going to have Hugh Jackman play wolverene then just don't use him. if they wanna go the x-men route they can have it lead up to onslaught rather than Galactus. that way we could an x men vs Avengers movie before going into an infinity war style 2 part film focusing on the villain 

• Like 2

Just now, TUF said:

1sdabp4nt2m21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=1bc7ce8cc7482749dfc971224b6a470b09a4c640

I can't wait to hear the conspiracy theorists dissect this poster and why Thor is the only one looking the other direction for the next month....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

i think part of the hate for the fantastic four comes from the chit movies they've been given. i was actually just having a conversation with one of my friends about who they should cast to play them and the x men. js if you aren't going to have Hugh Jackman play wolverene then just don't use him. if they wanna go the x-men route they can have it lead up to onslaught rather than Galactus. that way we could an x men vs Avengers movie before going into an infinity war style 2 part film focusing on the villain 

I like this. The first Fantastic Four wasn't turrible for early 2000s standards but I just don't find the characters that interesting, or Silver Surfer. I just don't get their popularity. Their powers and characterization are just boring to me. Some fun villains though. Have always liked the Galactus storylines although Thanos killed Galactus so not sure how they'd spin him as a bigger baddie. Fook it, just give Wolverine the Nick Fury treatment and CGI Hugh Jackman into the movies.