Sign in to follow this  
UFCCagerattler

taxing robots

Bill Gates says he thinks that robots should be taxed at the same rate that the workers they displaced are taxed at. Not a bad idea especially coming from Bill Gates - but he doesn't really go far enough.

People who lose their jobs to robots should still get paid the same and pay the same taxes they always did.

Paid to do nothing?

Yep.

Its a difficult concept and I obviously don't expect it to get any traction here. BUt at least you know about it now.

All of it is difficult to understand.  

Taxing robots?  How do you tax a robot?  What exactly is a robot?  What makes it different than other human replacing machines?  Will current infrastructure be taxed?  If so, by how much?  Do we tax calculators?  

Getting paid to do nothing?  Sign me up.  If society can support it, then I'm all for it.  They probably will need to prevent us from procreating or making more than 2 kids at least.  I would have had more than 2 kids if I could afford it and wasn't working so much. I think I'd revert back to the days when all I would do is bang tang and drink or get high.

In the future, I see Universal Basic Income being very important.  Unfortunately studies today are complete bull**** and are hardly scientific.  But yeah, I do think it will be beneficial to have it in the future.

I believe this is already in place in France, or is upcoming. It's actually a good idea. 1st, look at the long run. Using robots as workers is actually going to screw the companies using them. If there are no workers, who will have money to buy the products and services the robots are making/providing? The economy can't exist with a world full of robot workers. It would just be companies buying and selling from other companies with no other consumers so a tax like that would actually be saving companies that use robots from themselves if it was used to provide the people who lose their jobs with the income needed to remain consumers. Some of the tax money could be used to train people to do whatever jobs humans will have remaining for them but as time goes on those will be fewer and fewer. So the logical end result would seem to be a world full of robot workers supplying products and services to a population who never needs to work. That sounds pretty scary too, but not as bad as a world full of people with no jobs and no money.

Edited by Yerbo

This is an interesting topic. There are many fields where human workers could potentially be replaced with an automated workforce in the future, however many of these jobs are low to moderate skill and are repetitive. We've already seen this in history with the industrial revolution and all that has come since. As some jobs become obsolete new jobs open up in other emerging fields, and the workforce moves to accommodate the wants and needs of society.

As society becomes more automated and more people move into cities and away from agrarian life, the idea is that things are supposed to be easier, because all the mundane tasks are done by your automated worforce, freeing up more leisure time. But people still need jobs, so do they now have to learn to fix the robots when they break, or does everyone have to become a doctor or a lawyer, or some other profession that is more skilled and irreplaceable at the time.

Chances are its probably somewhere in between, yes new jobs will open up, many of which dont exist today, and the general workforce will have to become less reliant on unskilled labor and move to more skilled positions. 

• Like 1

So who should be responsible for paying workers who have no employer?

the government

like always

This is an interesting topic. There are many fields where human workers could potentially be replaced with an automated workforce in the future, however many of these jobs are low to moderate skill and are repetitive. We've already seen this in history with the industrial revolution and all that has come since. As some jobs become obsolete new jobs open up in other emerging fields, and the workforce moves to accommodate the wants and needs of society.

As society becomes more automated and more people move into cities and away from agrarian life, the idea is that things are supposed to be easier, because all the mundane tasks are done by your automated worforce, freeing up more leisure time. But people still need jobs, so do they now have to learn to fix the robots when they break, or does everyone have to become a doctor or a lawyer, or some other profession that is more skilled and irreplaceable at the time.

Chances are its probably somewhere in between, yes new jobs will open up, many of which dont exist today, and the general workforce will have to become less reliant on unskilled labor and move to more skilled positions. 

do you have self checkout at grocery stores yet?

the government

like always

translation, us.

so the average tax payer should foot the bill for (more) people to sit at home.

• Like 1

translation, us.

so the average tax payer should foot the bill for (more) people to sit at home.

man people on welfare are probably sitting on their asses and doing better than i am and ive had 3 days off work all summer lol

**** it where do i sign up?

Edited by -idyb-