juice64011

The Mandalorian discussion thread (Warning:Spoilers)

43 minutes ago, SVTContour98 said:

Why am I underwhelmed at S2E1.....dang it...I'll watch it again before saying anymore.

Join the binge gang mayne. The 30 minute weekly episodes were a hype killer last season but recently binged the season again in preparation for S2 and it was more enjoyable.

• Like 1

SPOILERS

I heard it was a longer episode so i watched it and yea thought it was a weird plot to start the season out on and lot of fan service but great episode. The only way they could have made it more western than last season was by making it Space Deadwood and they made it Space Deadwood with a couple actors from that show. I liked the reveal. Liked that they backseated Baby Yoda so it seemed like it was trying to appeal to the fans with all the references/call backs and not just all the new Baby Yoda fans. Will say more when others have caught up.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SVTContour98 said:

Why am I underwhelmed at S2E1.....dang it...I'll watch it again before saying anymore.

12yr old liked it but had the same reaction I did:  So wait, is this what the entire episode is about?  Ugh.

Some good parts and I like T.O. in his role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SVTContour98 said:

12yr old liked it but had the same reaction I did:  So wait, is this what the entire episode is about?  Ugh.

Some good parts and I like T.O. in his role.

I’m not sure what you mean, but this is a continuation of the formula they used last season. They’ve been going with a “bad guy of week” formula since the beginning. I believe they are paying homage to the old serials that influenced Lucas. There is an overarching narrative to string the story along, namely finding other Mandalorians so they can help him find Baby Yoda’s people, but that is mostly just a vehicle to push him forward into weekly adventures. I think the first six episodes will be stand alone, with a big two episode showdown arc just like last season.

I liked the episode overall. I enjoyed how they humanized the sand people, and there were a lot of call backs and fan service that weren’t too on the nose. Timothy Olyphant was great. Baby Yoda was mostly an afterthought which was nice.

I hate that Boba Fett is resurrected. They really cheapen death by constantly bringing fan favorites back, but Cobb Vanth having Boba’s armor (and therefore Boba being alive) was set up in aftermath series of novels that came out around Episode 7 so at least it’s a pay off to the fans who do a deep dive in the lore.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2020 at 6:17 PM, 12еr said:

I couldn’t tell if you were kidding. You should watch clone wars with your daughter and then rebels. I hated the idea of Maul coming back from the dead, but they actually made it worth it because his character arc is fantastic. 

Because Maul is the goatest of goats. 

Disney won't do it but they should make a dark Darth Maul origin movie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, juice64011 said:

Because Maul is the goatest of goats. 

Disney won't do it but they should make a dark Darth Maul origin movie. 

They would need Ian McDirmid to play Palms and at that point he looked like Sheev, so he’s probably too old at this point. 

Besides they already gave us his back story in comics and on the clone wars.

They were clearly angling to have Maul be a villain in the Solo sequel movies, but I don’t think they are going to do those anymore. The guy who played young Han was signed for 3 movies.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, POTUF said:

Best effects on TV but a throwaway episode.

I'm all over the place this season, but i liked that episode lol....i'm not credible

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, gadgets19 said:

image.png.20f459f581ef5980b5b41397707506db.png

lol, if she hit him with a bit of friendly fire when shooting them spiders I'd have been cool with it. 

• Like 1

my kids loved that episode though.  Damn near lost their minds laughing at that final egg scene

• Like 3

5 hours ago, POTUF said:

Yep... back to waiting to binge

np0r2dw61zy51.png.ed3c58bd2795197a3416f2ba1a532310.png

They said they make the episodes as long as they need to be to tell the story.

If they were making every episode an hour long you would be complaining about filler. 

42 minutes ago, 12еr said:

They said they make the episodes as long as they need to be to tell the story.

If they were making every episode an hour long you would be complaining about filler. 

I guess the issue with that is most of last season were shorter episodes and even a bit this season and there's still been plenty of filler. The Boys is a good example of longer episodes but almost no wasted screen time. 

• Like 1

Lol 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ one of the few good thing about mandalorian.....looks like this show wont make it past season 3 withSJWs and their Cancel culture

Edited by VertFTW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VertFTW said:

Lol 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ one of the few good thing about mandalorian.....looks like this show wont make it past season 3 withSJWs and their Cancel culture

That’s pretty gay despite the fact that I don’t give a **** if she’s ever on another episode or not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/14/2020 at 3:49 PM, 12еr said:

That would have been 8/8 if not for a couple unnecessary voiceovers, the Anakin force ghost, and more of my kneegrow Qui-Gon.

They even added audio from Avengers and a clip from an Adam Driver netflix movie. More non-canon footage than Mandalorian or Rogue One footage. smh

These first 3 episodes of the new season have been excellent so far with the first being arguably my favourite one to date. Just gutted to think that we’re nearly at the halfway point already. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, POTUF said:

That would have been 8/8 if not for a couple unnecessary voiceovers, the Anakin force ghost, and more of my kneegrow Qui-Gon.

They even added audio from Avengers and a clip from an Adam Driver netflix movie. More non-canon footage than Mandalorian or Rogue One footage. smh

Yea, I mostly agree with your takes here, it still had a lot of good moments though. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:22 PM, POTUF said:

tdyr6yy4w4061.png

what new content is there on Disney streaming for it to be rivals with? Thought it was just their existing content with Mandolorian first of the new generation... if thats the case being 5x better than re-runs isnt all that good.

38 minutes ago, Genki said:

what new content is there on Disney streaming for it to be rivals with? Thought it was just their existing content with Mandolorian first of the new generation... if thats the case being 5x better than re-runs isnt all that good.

For adults, not much, but they have been putting out new content for kids. 

• Like 1

SPOILERS 

P5P episode. Glad to see the over arcing storyline of the season starting to take shape. Got some more cool back story on Baby Yoda and Cara Dune's character and some foreshadowing for the rest of the season. Was nice to see Mando's dog fighting skills and was neat seeing Carl Withers directed the episode at the end. 

As more of the season goes on, I dont think Boba will heel turn and will just have a small role in the end where he and Mando go HAM back to back or something.

• Like 1

SPOILER

Also, as a DragonBall Z Stan, I secretly always enjoyed the idea of midichlorians being a gage for power levels and how it triggered fans so im glad to hear it back after 20 years when they sneak in that comment about Baby Yodas "M Count"

Also, at what point are these no longer call backs/homages and just copy/pasting. Would like to give the benefit of the doubt when you see the Star Destroyer enter the frame just like in the first shot of the OT

20201121_073000.thumb.jpg.2bbdd448d9306f5be37e3200ed379bba.jpg

and then Moff Gideon looking very Vader like on board but then you have the opening scene that felt copy/pasted from the ending of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with Baby Groot and the bomb and then Rise of Skywalker ripping off Avengers Endgame. Is what happens when Disney owns everything i guess.

Edited by POTUF

53 minutes ago, POTUF said:

SPOILERS 

P5P episode. Glad to see the over arcing storyline of the season starting to take shape. Got some more cool back story on Baby Yoda and Cara Dune's character and some foreshadowing for the rest of the season. Was nice to see Mando's dog fighting skills and was neat seeing Carl Withers directed the episode at the end. 

As more of the season goes on, I dont think Boba will heel turn and will just have a small role in the end where he and Mando go HAM back to back or something.

Usually the phrase "I want some of what you are on" is said in a derogatory way, but this series is letting me down, and with every fibre of my being wish I appreciated it as much as you are.

Im dying on the inside. I want some of the OG series, Vader is your father, Leia is your sister, big bad drops his boss down a shaft kind of business, not the fly point A to point B and just do this task for me. I have the sinking feeling we are going to get 2 more episodes of the same ole same ole, he will band together with the frogs, minger with the hanger and the technicolour Mandolorians, throw down with Gideon, get the Dark Sabre, and the leader pink power ranger buys the farm. Calling it now, Mando the adopted warrior, becomes reluctant king of his people Sword in the Stone style and wins the homeworld back with the help of the Jedi... is where not this season, but where this show ends up.

I dont know how Star wars went from ANH to ESB, got shakey with ROTJ, shat the bed for the first 3, found the sweet spot again with RO, then got back on the pipes for the last 3. This show may as well have a new death star every week, Im finding it stunningly shallow. I couldnt be more desperate for this franchise to get it together.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Genki said:

Usually the phrase "I want some of what you are on" is said in a derogatory way, but this series is letting me down, and with every fibre of my being wish I appreciated it as much as you are.

Im dying on the inside. I want some of the OG series, Vader is your father, Leia is your sister, big bad drops his boss down a shaft kind of business, not the fly point A to point B and just do this task for me. I have the sinking feeling we are going to get 2 more episodes of the same ole same ole, he will band together with the frogs, minger with the hanger and the technicolour Mandolorians, throw down with Gideon, get the Dark Sabre, and the leader pink power ranger buys the farm. Calling it now, Mando the adopted warrior, becomes reluctant king of his people Sword in the Stone style and wins the homeworld back with the help of the Jedi... is where not this season, but where this show ends up.

I dont know how Star wars went from ANH to ESB, got shakey with ROTJ, shat the bed for the first 3, found the sweet spot again with RO, then got back on the pipes for the last 3. This show may as well have a new death star every week, Im finding it stunningly shallow. I couldnt be more desperate for this franchise to get it together.

I get why people would feel this way and it definitely toes that line, especially last season but not sure how you came to that conclusion after watching that episode. It gave some great backstory, referenced all 3 trilogies, and some foreshadowing for this season and even for sequel trilogy. 

I think people forget the scale of this story. Yea, sometimes it feels like side quests but Mando isnt a Skywalker. He cant play too big of a role in the timeline cause the timeline is already set. If anything, i feel like they try to shoehorn in too much fan service to satisfy fans but here we are with Ahsoka, the dark blade, and Bo-Katan. 

I expect the rest of the season to be fire with Filoni directing the next episode, and Ahsoka and Boba's reappearance but so far so good i thought.

Edited by POTUF
  • Like 1

I don’t think any of you guys watched the cartoons, so I’m interested to hear your hot takes on Ahsoka since you’re all relatively unfamiliar with the character. 

52 minutes ago, SVTContour98 said:

best episode of the season so far imo....really hoping for more episodes with Ahsoka

Have you seen clone wars and rebels? If not, it doesn’t appear to have dampened your enjoyment any. 

I’m guessing videos I‘ve posted and conversations we’ve had in here filled in some blanks, but I’m guessing for some people a lot of it went over their heads. 

For example, the owl on the tree is likely Morai and her looking for Thrawn is a direct tie in to the ending of rebels and I assume is leading into an Ahsoka movie or series.

• Like 1

This guy always produces well done breakdowns to catch people up on the lore.

5 minutes ago, 12еr said:

Have you seen clone wars and rebels? If not, it doesn’t appear to have dampened your enjoyment any. 

I’m guessing videos I‘ve posted and conversations we’ve had in here filled in some blanks, but I’m guessing for some people a lot of it went over their heads. 

For example, the owl on the tree is likely Morai and her looking for Thrawn is a direct tie in to the ending of rebels and I assume is leading into an Ahsoka movie or series.

i've seen neither and i have a lot of blanks to fill

• Like 1

I haven't watched the episode yet as I'm working here during Black Friday,  but am watching the episode tonight 

To answer 12ers question,  Can't wait to see Ahsoka. Really liked her after watching the entirety of The Clone Wars. She is badass in rebels too

And like typical star wars fans , apparently SW fans hated Ahsoka back in 2008? (I didnt follow SW that closely back then)...and now everyone loves her

Which is why I think in 10 years everyone is going to suddenly unanimously love Rey , The Last Jedi and/or the sequels in general.

SW fans are the glassiest fans ever 

12 minutes ago, Nyte said:

And like typical star wars fans , apparently SW fans hated Ahsoka back in 2008? (I didnt follow SW that closely back then)...and now everyone loves her

Which is why I think in 10 years everyone is going to suddenly unanimously love Rey , The Last Jedi and/or the sequels in general.

SW fans are the glassiest fans ever 

Ahsoka had 7 seasons of Clone Wars and 2 a season of rebels to have character development. She was annoying in the beginning, but she really becomes a great character over time. 

• Like 1

Just watched it. Enjoyed it. Flashbacks of the sequel trilogy. The tone and pacing of the episodes are a bit all over the place. Guess thats expected with a different director every episode but this plodded a bit, especially after the pace of last episide.

The dialogue and timing was like something out of a Napolean Dynomite movie. Expected a bit more out of a Filoni directed episode in that respect but overall great episode. Was never an Ahsoka fan boy but this era in the timeline seems like her time to shine with how few Jedi are left. Seeing her in live action was fun as a fan of the animated series and would watch a spin off. Was a bit surreal hearing her talk about Anakin but overall top marks for getting that and her right.

• Like 1

That episode was dope. I do think they really opened it up and will be different from here on out

Which is expected,  cause once I saw Baby Yoda for the first time , there was no way we wouldn't get a huge explanation and backstory to it. You don't just make a miniature creature resembling one of the most liked characters in Star Wars and not expect a deeper story .

I think they're starting to get into that now. Which is fine , it still feels like these episodes are self contained even with having appareances from familiar faces.

To be fair , period between now and TFA is wide open . Yeah you can say "comics" and "books" , but aint nobody care about that chit. And we have the best people spearheading that open time period . Excited there will be a season 3 too