Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Let's Face It, Mike Perry Just Isn't As Good Of A Fighter As We Want Him To Be

25bb9b.jpg

UFC welterweight "Platinum" Mike Perry could be the American version of Conor McGregor, but he's simply not as good of a fighter as the UFC lightweight champion. Perry lost his second fight in a row on Saturday in Orlando, Florida, at UFC on Fox 28 to massive underdog Max Griffin. The clear-cut unanimous-decision defeat was Perry's third loss in his last five fights.

The Griffin fight looked like a gift on paper. It was a perfect setup for Perry to shine on the main card of a nationally televised event on free TV against an opponent he was expected to beat. Unfortunately for Perry, who fights out of Florida, and the star-starved UFC, he couldn't come through at home.

Perry has the look, the swag, and the power to become a star. However, he's slow-footed, lacks elite hand speed, is easy to hit (4.77 strikes absorbed per minute), lacks a high-level fight I.Q. and doesn't possess a formidable ground game.

It depends on the matchmaking. If the UFC gives Perry a string of opponents willing to stand in front of him and bang, then he has a chance to shine. Perry struggles mightily against athletic opponents with diverse striking and movement. That's what Griffin used to befuddle him for two rounds before coasting through the final frame.

Perry is only 26 years old, so there's something to be said for potential growth, but I'm not sure he can add the things that he lacks. Perry might just be an incomplete package.

• Like 3

25bb9b.jpg

Perry struggles mightily against athletic opponents with diverse striking and movement.

By "diverse striking and movement", you mean "run in the opposite direction for 15 mins", right?
  • Like 2

they certainly f*cked up my under bet.  Flow - I'm with what you stated in another thread.  I like him because of the violence he tries to bring with him every time he enters the cage.   He is trying to collect heads and I like the style.  I do however think Colby is correct in recommending he gets a real coach.  I don't think his gf is someone that will help him advance. Griffin is no joke but running away with his tail between his legs for at least 13 of the 15 didn't bode well for me.  I was expecting both to come in throwing hammers until someone succumbed.  

I said I was no longer a fan but I was fueled by him losing me a couple hundred on the under...  

I'm still a fan but hope he seeks a camp that will help more than doing yoga flips with his lady.

Edited by jaybird86
  • Like 1

they certainly f*cked up my under bet. Flow - I'm with what you stated in another thread. I like him because of the violence he tries to bring with him every time he enters the cage. He is trying to collect heads and I like the style. I do however think Colby is correct in recommending he gets a real coach. I don't think his gf is someone that will help him advance. Griffin is no joke but running away with his tail between his legs for at least 13 of the 15 didn't bode well for me. I was expecting both to come in throwing hammers until someone succumbed.

I said I was no longer a fan but I was fueled by him losing me a couple hundred on the under...

I'm still a fan but hope he seeks a camp that will help more than doing yoga flips with his lady.

Perry was busted up and kept diving at ankles. Max ran for maybe 2 minutes.
  • Like 4

Perry was busted up and kept diving at ankles. Max ran for maybe 2 minutes.

I cannot understand why people say fighters run? Unless they do an Overreem vs Stipe they are literally distance fighting, its called being smart and using your reach advantage. He was hardly going to stand there and let Perry hit him if all he had to do was use his footwork to butcher Perrys face and leave unscathed. 

• Like 2

Perry is still a bad azz banger on my books but yeah, he is not as good as I thought he was.

It is sad but if he fights anyone who hits and move .. he loses.

Oh and by the way, he was diving for ankles :(

• Like 1

they certainly f*cked up my under bet.  Flow - I'm with what you stated in another thread.  I like him because of the violence he tries to bring with him every time he enters the cage.   He is trying to collect heads and I like the style.  I do however think Colby is correct in recommending he gets a real coach.  I don't think his gf is someone that will help him advance. Griffin is no joke but running away with his tail between his legs for at least 13 of the 15 didn't bode well for me.  I was expecting both to come in throwing hammers until someone succumbed.  

Yeah I like his 'tude and personality. A real character that is good for the sport I think. But man is he slow. And has anyone ever said the word "combination" in his presence? If he would have thrown 3-4 in the last 2 minutes he may have won. But Griffin knew exactly what was coming all the time and evading a single punch over and over is just not that hard.

• Like 1

I cannot understand why people say fighters run? Unless they do an Overreem vs Stipe they are literally distance fighting, its called being smart and using your reach advantage. He was hardly going to stand there and let Perry hit him if all he had to do was use his footwork to butcher Perrys face and leave unscathed.

Exactly sometimes it ain't about winning pretty or appeasing anyone. Its about winning and being smart. If you have a fighters card before you fight him it's easy to plan how to beat him, save getting caught by a unavoidable bomb.

Majority of champions have got great fight IQ and a brain that they use. I like Perry coz he can bang and has heart, with his current camp he was never gonna be anything but a middle of the road top 15 maybe. Needs to change camps but IMO he is what he is and is never gonna be a top 5 fighter, unless he changes camps and starts using his brain as well as his brawn.

Edited by Marble

The people saying this clown wasn't running from Perry will be the same people saying Woodley ran from Maia and Thompson. lol

• Like 1

The people saying this clown wasn't running from Perry will be the same people saying Woodley ran from Maia and Thompson. lol

What he was doing was beating him and winning the fight. Call it running call it what you want. What you can't call platinum Perry is the winner of that fight.

Edited by Marble
  • Like 4

So you are saying that Perry go busted up and knocked down by a runner before he resorted to stalling against the fence and diving at ankles?

That makes his loss even worse

• Like 6

What he was doing was beating him and winning the fight. Call it running call it what you want. What you can't call platinum Perry is the winner of that fight.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I know there's a lot of losers that like to hate on greatness but Mike Perry isn't getting enough credit for a man training under his girlfriend.  She's no Edmond.

• Like 4

Yeah I like his 'tude and personality. A real character that is good for the sport I think. But man is he slow. And has anyone ever said the word "combination" in his presence? If he would have thrown 3-4 in the last 2 minutes he may have won. But Griffin knew exactly what was coming all the time and evading a single punch over and over is just not that hard.

No doubt. He fought smart against the style or lack there of. I was just expecting more engagement... or at least hoping for it

So you are saying that Perry go busted up and knocked down by a runner before he resorted to stalling against the fence and diving at ankles?

That makes his loss even worse

And this is the second time he's done it! This fight was a rerun of the Male Model fight

• Like 2

And this is the second time he's done it! This fight was a rerun of the Male Model fight

he didn't do this vs ponz coz he ended up like a statue with NFI what to do by the end of that fight.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder if his confidence on his aggressive style and KO power is his actual down fall.

He seems to come to fight with literally NO GAME PLAN (I doubt he even studies his opponents lol) which I respect a lot in a fighter but unfortunately is not working for him.

I would like to see him a little bit more technical, sticking with a game plan and maybe not having his gf on his corner ?

Sometimes I wonder if his confidence on his aggressive style and KO power is his actual down fall.

He seems to come to fight with literally NO GAME PLAN (I doubt he even studies his opponents lol) which I respect a lot in a fighter but unfortunately is not working for him.

I would like to see him a little bit more technical, sticking with a game plan and maybe not having his gf on his corner ?

How else would you approach a FIGHT?  These foglets wanna run around a 750 sq ft cage and other gay chit like fight long.  Mike wants to break bones and ruin lives.  11 wins, 11 KNOCKOUTS.

He may not be ranked in the welterweight division YET but Platinum Mike Perry is top 10 p4p fighter, easily.  Jouban earned a rematch with Mike by knocking out Saunders.  He'll do gay chit like run around and kick Mike in his leg but he gets DECAPITATED in the 1st.

• Like 1

How else would you approach a FIGHT?  These foglets wanna run around a 750 sq ft cage and other gay chit like fight long.  Mike wants to break bones and ruin lives.  11 wins, 11 KNOCKOUTS.

He may not be ranked in the welterweight division YET but Platinum Mike Perry is top 10 p4p fighter, easily.  Jouban earned a rematch with Mike by knocking out Saunders.  He'll do gay chit like run around and kick Mike in his leg but he gets DECAPITATED in the 1st.

No one is willing to stand and fight Perry. That I agree totally.

It is sad tho.

I really don't get the hate for him.

Either you like guys who come to fight, or you like wrestlers and point fighters. I personally am not watching this chit to see who is the best point fighter.

• Like 2

Losing to a guy that loss to Colby Covington via TKO (Punches) is not a good look.

He got out pointed and outstruck and beatup too all in the same fight.

He was the first to shoot for a takedown.

I barely trust my women to make me a sandwich let alone coach me how to fight another man.lol

• Like 2

Losing to a guy that loss to Colby Covington via TKO (Punches) is not a good look.

He got out pointed and outstruck and beatup too all in the same fight.

He was the first to shoot for a takedown.

I barely trust my women to make me a sandwich let alone coach me how to fight another man.lol

Colby Covington would grapple **** every single welterweight in the division except the current champion...

Perry was trying to show a different side of things besides his bread and black belt butter HANDS!  People were talking trash about his ground game so he decided he would impose his will on that fool just to prove that he has that will imposing tool in his tool belt.

You motherf***ers just don't understand how this game works.

• Like 1

How else would you approach a FIGHT? These foglets wanna run around a 750 sq ft cage and other gay chit like fight long. Mike wants to break bones and ruin lives. 11 wins, 11 KNOCKOUTS.

He may not be ranked in the welterweight division YET but Platinum Mike Perry is top 10 p4p fighter, easily. Jouban earned a rematch with Mike by knocking out Saunders. He'll do gay chit like run around and kick Mike in his leg but he gets DECAPITATED in the 1st.

You sound like IDYB talking about GSP.

• Like 2

Maybe if he spent less time plucking his eyebrows & ditched his gf/trainer/coach.

Edited by agtx
  • Like 1

max pain had perry shooting for ankles and grabbing the comb. Max outstruck him cut him and almost knocked him the **** out. Max is a better version of mike perry in every department, hes even blacker.

Edited by PunchBag
  • Like 4

max pain had perry shooting for ankles and grabbing the comb. Max outstruck him cut him and almost knocked him the **** out. Max is a better version of mike perry in every department, hes even blacker.

Do you have a video that none of us will watch?
  • Like 1

Colby Covington would grapple **** every single welterweight in the division except the current champion...

Perry was trying to show a different side of things besides his bread and black belt butter HANDS!  People were talking trash about his ground game so he decided he would impose his will on that fool just to prove that he has that will imposing tool in his tool belt.

You motherf***ers just don't understand how this game works.

Hmm good point actually 

He is a gym junkie,he relies on strength and no brains,he reminds me of a bigger version of Conor's buddy Artem.

Artem has like 14 losses matched by 14 wins.  NEVER compare Mike Perry to that can again.

Artem has like 14 losses matched by 14 wins.  NEVER compare Mike Perry to that can again.

Right, Artem is WAY better. Perry would never steal two rounds from a guy like Cub

• Like 1

His missues just dumped him apparently, he had a "wondering eye" and she had enough, so maybe we might see an Improvement in Perry :lol:

This is good news for Mike.

I'm sure she's a nice lady but her cornering advice was something that you'd expect to hear from a casual fan or in the last round of a Rocky movie lol.

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

His missues just dumped him apparently, he had a "wondering eye" and she had enough, so maybe we might see an Improvement in Perry :lol:

This is HUGE!
  • Like 2