Sign in to follow this  
MoZZez

Would you

I was thinking about this the other day.

Cops stood on the sidelines of a school shooting.

So would You?

You're joe blow walking down the street infromt of a school and you hear gunshots.

Would you run in with no weapons on you?

Would you run in if you had a gun?

How about a fire, burning house, would you run in to save someone?

Edited by MoZZez
  • Like 1

Depends on the situation. Ive given first aid to a person who was hit by a car without thinking, but ive walked away when fights between randoms have broken out in front of me. A good friend of mine tried to break up a fight about 15 years ago, got punched, hit his head and now has epilepisy. No good deed goes unpunished

• Like 3

I'm not going into a gun fight with just my fist so no on shots fired at a school. I'm not even sure i would if i was armed as it's not my job but sure if i had a permit to carry and in a situation where someone started opening fire on innocent people you can bet your @ss i'd waste the MF'er without hesitation. 

I would save someone from a burning house but it really depends on the scenario. If it's too far gone that it's extremely likely it's just a suicide mission then no. Same goes for just about any other scenario like someone drowning in some rapids or crazy river. I'd do everything i could to help but i'm not jumping in so can we both get kilt. 

One thing i have done a lot is stand up for weaker people being bullied when they are trying to do everything to avoid it or when someone doesn't treat a lady right being all creepy or abusive i'll say something. I'm not one of those people that will just sit back forever and do nothing when someone is acting like a complete prick. 

I've got no problem confronting someone calmly in certain scenarios and I've got no problem throwing hands if they insist on escalating like they're some kinda tough guy. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

I wouldnt go in unarmed, I know that forsure. I would love to say I was a hero and ran in and saved a school. But the reality would be I would be an idiot target who would get shot up bull rushing the shooter. At the end of the day, my kids come before all else and having a dead dad does them no good.

With a weapon, I dont know. Like Juice I would like to think I would, but if that situation arose, who knows how people would react.

As far as the fire, like Stomp it would depend on the situation. Small fire maybe, larger fire I dont know.

• Like 1

Unlikely with the shooting... this is armed or unarmed. To enter with a pistol knowing you’re going against a bigger gun with higher mag capacity would not be smart. Plus, I’m not going to risk taking myself away from my kid to try fighting this uphill battle. Burning building, I’d say more likely but not definitive.

• Like 1

So would You?

You're joe blow walking down the street infromt of a school and you hear gunshots.

I'm in the Country fire service here and have been in and out of heaps of burning structures

• Like 2

Already intervened once in my life to "help" someone when I was carrying.

Also had to help subdue a thug in the ER ewho brought a gun in to "finish off" their enemy.

Would I run into a building to stop a gunman if I wasn't carrying? No, that just adds to the body count. Would I run in if I was carrying? Maybe, but that would also put me at risk as an outsider to be mistaken for the bad guy and be shot by the police.

I learned a lot from going to Larry Vickers self defense and emergency training and one thing he taught that stuck was, "you have to know when to fight and know when to flee the situation."

• Like 4

How many cops were standing sideline tho ?

Thats interesting ...

The school one and I think 3 others.

My understanding is when back up arrived, the school one went in with others, and at that point three others did not enter.

The school one and I think 3 others.

My understanding is when back up arrived, the school one went in with others, and at that point three others did not enter.

Thats kind of messed up tho.

I'm in the Country fire service here and have been in and out of heaps of burning structures

on the whole would I go in if I heard shots, hard to say as it's not a position I've been anywhere near before, I am the type to head toward danger or an emergency but gunshots who knows. Id definitely explore to see if I could get any kids free from around the premises not necessarily towards the gunfire though

• Like 1

Unarmed, no.  

Armed, still probably wouldn't rush in.  If anything I'd try to ambush the guy exiting the school.  Also, rushing in means there's a chance YOU get shot by the police in the chaos them thinking you're the shooter or second shooter, I'd rather go home to my wife, thank you.  

• Like 3

Unarmed, no.  

Armed, still probably wouldn't rush in.  If anything I'd try to ambush the guy exiting the school.  Also, rushing in means there's a chance YOU get shot by the police in the chaos them thinking you're the shooter or second shooter, I'd rather go home to my wife, thank you.  

Just standng there with a weapon would probably get you shot by the cops

• Like 3

I couldnt do much if I dont have the proper gears/tools to help someone, unfortunately.

Our president said he would tho.

Dude ducked Viet Nam and he would have had a gun, and he has the audacity to say he'd storm a school unarmed, el oh el. What a ****. 

As for the OP's question, I wouldn't storm a school unarmed unless my kid was in there. Even then, my goal wouldn't be to confront them because I'm not delusional enough to think I'm going to Jason Bourne that ****. 

• Like 5

Would I run into a building to stop a gunman if I wasn't carrying? No, that just adds to the body count. Would I run in if I was carrying? Maybe, but that would also put me at risk as an outsider to be mistaken for the bad guy and be shot by the police.

This, except I would change the 'maybe' to no for the same reason. Police and all those in the school wouldn't know if you were the bad guy or not.

• Like 2

Dude ducked Viet Nam and he would have had a gun, and he has the audacity to say he'd storm a school unarmed, el oh el. What a ****. 

As for the OP's question, I wouldn't storm a school unarmed unless my kid was in there. Even then, my goal wouldn't be to confront them because I'm not delusional enough to think I'm going to Jason Bourne that ****. 

You were someone I thought of when I posed the question.

With your training, are lets say you were armed. Would that change your thought process? I do single you out because you do have a more extensive back ground and possible experience in a situation with live fire. (No disrespect intended)

You were someone I thought of when I posed the question.

With your training, are lets say you were armed. Would that change your thought process? I do single you out because you do have a more extensive back ground and possible experience in a situation with live fire. (No disrespect intended)

It's hard to say what you'd do in any situation on any day. I've got combat experience, but the closest training I have that would be comparable to this would be clearing a house. That's not the same as hostage rescue, which is closer to this because those guys are trained to avoid shooting civilians while picking out bad guys in a crowd and killing them.

I am not qualified to deal with a situation like this, nor do I carry a firearm, or currently own one. That's why I didn't bother to answer the question. There's also the very real threat of being mistaken for a shooter and getting yourself killed. 

I think the odds of this going bad because I accidentally shot a kid trying to engage the shooter or got myself killed by the police is greater than my chances of ending the situation quicker than the police can, so I'd probably opt not to unless there were some extenuating circumstances that made it the best option.

• Like 4

That said, if I was that school resource cop who sat outside the whole time, I'd probably kill myself in shame. That dude failed everyone and while he wasn't the best man for the job, he was the best available and it was his obligation to end it.

• Like 5

That said, if I was that school resource cop who sat outside the whole time, I'd probably kill myself in shame. That dude failed everyone and while he wasn't the best man for the job, he was the best available and it was his obligation to end it.

That one pisses me off a lot.

I dont expect everyone to go running in blind to go get shot up themselves. Nor would I expect cops to jump and play a meat shield.

But this cop could have engaged, on his own turf, knowing all the ins and outs of that place. Maybe he couldn't of stopped it, but he probably could have diverted at the very least away from some kids.

If he couldn't do the job he was hired to do, he never should have taken that position and left it for someone who would have at least tried.

That one pisses me off a lot.

I dont expect everyone to go running in blind to go get shot up themselves. Nor would I expect cops to jump and play a meat shield.

But this cop could have engaged, on his own turf, knowing all the ins and outs of that place. Maybe he couldn't of stopped it, but he probably could have diverted at the very least away from some kids.

If he couldn't do the job he was hired to do, he never should have taken that position and left it for someone who would have at least tried.

If he went in he would also have the element of surprise. He could hear the shots so he would have a good idea of where the suspect is. So quietly move closer and find a spot where you have an advantage or where you can get behind him.
  • Like 2

If he went in he would also have the element of surprise. He could hear the shots so he would have a good idea of where the suspect is. So quietly move closer and find a spot where you have an advantage or where you can get behind him.

Exactly. He had the advantage. That kid wasn't expecting to engage anybody. You know damn well he was standing smack dab in the middle of a wide open hallway with a rifle in his hands. Take cover behind a wall, and fire on him. Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 2

Yeah if I was a cop then for sure I'd honour my oath. 

• Like 3

Given your scenario, I would run regardless if I had a gun or not. 

I might stay and fight if I was more versed with a gun.  I might stay and fight if I knew people and children at the school.  There are too many variables to consider here. 

• Like 1

The more I think about this, the more I think I should just run.

Unless you're in uniform like a police or armed guard, I think it's best you just run.  There is a very good chance you'll be shot on site when the police arrives.  I hope to never to be in this situation. 

• Like 1

So would You?

I doubt the gun shots at the school would even register with me, i mean its so normal now you kind of expect to hear gunshots or it wouldnt be a school. Probably just keep on walking in my own little dream world, one where guns cant be bought in a wall mart.

Edited by PunchBag

So would You?

Good thing I always carry around two certified deadly weapons, THESE HANDS!!! lol

giphy.gif

• Like 6

I doubt the gun shots at the school would even register with me, i mean its so normal now you kind of expect to hear gunshots or it wouldnt be a school. Probably just keep on walking in my own little dream world, one where guns cant be bought in a wall mart.

cringe
  • Like 3

The hipocresy in this thread is staggering.

So is the spelling of people from top 20 global universities.

On topic....like everyone, I like to think I would do my bit.  I have a slight hero complex, so I think that if I was armed (and trained) that I'd try and do my bit to help.  Like a few have said though, until you've been in that situation, you don't know for sure how you would react.  Maybe in reality I'd soil my pants and go and cry in the corner, who knows?

As for burning building....if it was someone I knew (or my cats), I'd go in unhesitatingly.  I'd rather die than live knowing I hadn't tried.  If it was someone I didn't know I think I'd still have a go but with a lot more hesitation.

• Like 4

So is the spelling of people from top 20 global universities.

On topic....like everyone, I like to think I would do my bit.  I have a slight hero complex, so I think that if I was armed (and trained) that I'd try and do my bit to help.  Like a few have said though, until you've been in that situation, you don't know for sure how you would react.  Maybe in reality I'd soil my pants and go and cry in the corner, who knows?

As for burning building....if it was someone I knew (or my cats), I'd go in unhesitatingly.  I'd rather die than live knowing I hadn't tried.  If it was someone I didn't know I think I'd still have a go but with a lot more hesitation.

good post bro

• Like 1

Unarmed, no.  

Wouldnt that be murder? hmmm

Wouldnt that be murder? hmmm

Not at all.  

Feel free to go in a building and start shooting people, when you come out I'm going to empty a clip into you, watch me get hailed as a hero as you bleed out.

• Like 3

Not at all.  

Feel free to go in a building and start shooting people, when you come out I'm going to empty a clip into you, watch me get hailed as a hero as you bleed out.

What if you mistook the shooter for a concealed to carry teacher? lol

That could easily happen.

Vert you are an idiot if you think that random citizens ideas on what they would do gives a cop, who is hired to protect a school and hides like a coward when the school needs protection gets a pass.

Your whole idea of the cop waiting for swat is absurd. A swat team takes a long time to get together for the reason those trained for it do not sit at the station 24/7 waiting to get called. It is a mix of officers across the board. Then all their **** is in one location. So all the team has to get called, leave their position, head to the detachment, group up, gather gear, head to site, then go over the situation and then put a plan together for that specific situation. 

This cop dropped the ball and it looks like 3 others did as well.

So please stfu and stop trying to use a question I had as a pathetic justification for a bad cop

• Like 2

What if you mistook the shooter for a concealed to carry teacher? lol

That could easily happen.

You mean the armed teachers that don't exist?  

• Like 2

Cops are supposed to wait for backup. Getting picked off one at a time isn't the best strategy.

Thats funny, the detachment my wife works with does not have that rule and just 2 years ago went after the shooter without waiting. So where are you getting your information from?

• Like 1

You mean the armed teachers that don't exist?  

They may exist soon. lol.

My point is by you playing John McClane the odds of you interfering with law enforcement or killing some innocent are far greater than if you wait for swat to do their job. 12er talks to this point a bit...

Anyways this thread proves we have a bunch of keyboard warriors that watch too much TV...sans a few posters with honest feedback(Niki, 12er, T.E., etc)

They may exist soon. lol.

My point is by you playing John McClane the odds of you interfering with law enforcement or killing some innocent are far greater than if you wait for swat to do their job. 12er talks to this point a bit...

Anyways this thread proves we have a bunch of keyboard warriors that watch too much TV...sans a few posters with honest feedback(Niki, 12er, T.E., etc)

K

• Like 3