Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Michael Bisping interested in tie-breaker with Luke Rockhold before retiring

xRockhold-Bisping-staredown1-e1519739653

Over the last few weeks, there’s been widespread debate as to who former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping should fight in his yet unscheduled retirement fight.

For a time it sounded as though he might retire opposite a fellow legend in Vitor Belfort or Rashad Evans. Bisping also eyed a retirement bout opposite former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida.

More recently, however, Bisping has expressed interest in trilogy-completing retirement fight with his rival Luke Rockhold. Bisping and Rockhold have gone 1-1 across two fights, with Rockhold winning the first by submission, and Bisping winning the second with a massive, upset knockout in the first round.

Speaking on his podcast Believe You Me, Bisping assured he’d happily fight Rockhold at middleweight or light heavyweight.

“If that **** wants to throw down at 205 [pounds], yeah, we can entertain that, buddy,” Bisping said  of Rockhold (h/t MMAFighting). “I’ve got no problem knocking you out again.”

“I exposed Luke Rockhold,” Bisping continued, referencing his 2016 knockout of Rockhold. “I knocked him out. David Branch nearly knocked him out. Yoel knocked him out. I quite literally took his soul, so if he wants me to do it again, that is one that would stoke the fires so to speak.”

Although Bisping says he still has plenty of fight left in him, he is also floating the idea of refraining from competing a final time, as he’s financially secure now. So, while he’s interested in a tie-breaker with Rockhold, the deal would have to be right.

“I’ll fight him at 205, I’ll fight him at 185,” concluded Bisping. “I’m not bothered. That’s if I’m gonna fight again, if the deal is right. Fortunately now, I’m in a good place.”

“I still love fighting. Fighting’s what I do, that’s provided me this platform and I still feel like I’ve got at least one more in me. I’ve got more than that in me but I’m just saying from my business perspective maybe one more makes sense, maybe two more, maybe no more. We’ll see what the future holds if the deal is right.”

Would you like to see the Michael Bisping vs. Luke Rockhold rubber match before he retires?

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

Tie-Breaker? Bisping is currently 2-0 with 1 NC against Luke

Bisping gets himself up for fights by trying to hate his opponents, but I think there is some genuine animosity between the two.  Would be a fun fight...would be kinda nice if they quashed the beef once and for all in the cage.

I'm up for it.

Edited by Bubba_Sparks
  • Like 3

Tie-Breaker? Bisping is currently 2-0 with 1 NC against Luke

Bisping gets himself up for fights by trying to hate his opponents, but I think there is some genuine animosity between the two.  Would be a fun fight...would be kinda nice if they quashed the beef once and for all in the cage.

I'm up for it.

giphy.gif

To be fair to you Bisping's head did clock up many strikes to Luke's shin in the first exchange before his strangulation lol.

I agree with you about the hostility, that's why I thought it was a really poor excuse for him to say he didn't want to fight Vitor because it would be too personal and too hostile.

Vitor was the perfect fight, Machida was a great fight of two top guys who'd never gone at it and a rematch with Rashad was a truly terrible idea. Luke vs. Bisping III is great fight that I never thought we'd get the chance of again.

giphy.gif

To be fair to you Bisping's head did clock up many strikes to Luke's shin in the first exchange before his strangulation lol.

I agree with you about the hostility, that's why I thought it was a really poor excuse for him to say he didn't want to fight Vitor because it would be too personal and too hostile.

Vitor was the perfect fight, Machida was a great fight of two top guys who'd never gone at it and a rematch with Rashad was a truly terrible idea. Luke vs. Bisping III is great fight that I never thought we'd get the chance of again.

First meeting was when they sparred and Bisping became the unofficial strikeforce champion.

Second was a nc due to accidental headbutt.

Third was obviously a win for Bisping.

• Like 1

First meeting was when they sparred and Bisping became the unofficial strikeforce champion.

Second was a nc due to accidental headbutt.

Third was obviously a win for Bisping.

A head butt is clash of heads not a clash of head and shin sorry Bubba lol

All jesting aside how do you see this one going Bubba?

If Bisping turns up like he did against Gastelum Rockhold may genuinely commit murder in the octagon. But looks lost his swagger his ****iness was part of x-factor. Honestly wouldn't be confident backing either guy in this one.

A head butt is clash of heads not a clash of head and shin sorry Bubba lol

All jesting aside how do you see this one going Bubba?

If Bisping turns up like he did against Gastelum Rockhold may genuinely commit murder in the octagon. But looks lost his swagger his ****iness was part of x-factor. Honestly wouldn't be confident backing either guy in this one.

Tough one to call. They've both looked kinda past it in their last two fights. Not sure who would be the most motivated either. I doubt it will happen though. Luke thinks he's about to make a run for the lhw belt. Fighting Bisping in his last fight doesn't do much for that ambition.

Not sure Luke wants anything but a belt and this point he is likely 3 wins away.Defeating Bisping would not do anything to getting him back at that belt,he only wanted that rematch because it was the belt.

Bisping has lost all confidence and Luke is just too ****y so he can always be beat as well,two downward fighters is not a special fight.

To be honest, would there be any better way to finish off Bispings Career? Like I know a lot of people hate him and ****, but he has been around forever, he has done it all including cheating and spitting, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing an end to this trilogy, be a better ****ing fight than Cyborg vs random no picture fighter

• Like 1

If Bisping beats him again I will legitimately quit the sport.  

I call dibs on your mod powers lol

tbh since they last fought has Rockhold improved any of his gaping holes in striking defense? Bisping has the formula to beat him easily.

I call dibs on your mod powers lol

tbh since they last fought has Rockhold improved any of his gaping holes in striking defense? Bisping has the formula to beat him easily.

Didn't say anything about quitting the forum.  

• Like 2

If Luke being KTFO means he's damaged, what would you call a MW who just got flat lined by 2 welterweights?

Bisping is more fun, but Luke is the better fighter, he'll take the rubber match where ever it is held

Didn't think Mike had much of a chance in the second fight. I was dead chuffed with him just getting the title fight tbh, being one of us and all that. His career deserved a title fight.

First thought about the rubber match was don't do it. But the more I think about it the more I think the Kelvin fight is clouding my judgement, a fight that should never of happend but at the same time says so much about The Count. He performed at his best in his own work horse style for 5 rounds against spider and Hendo. It ain't pretty or flashy but wins fights. He took 2 h-bombs without losing consciousness. Knocked out Luke in the first. All still relevant, under 2 years ago.

Does he beat Luke again, maybe, did Luke not take him seriously in the title fight, maybe. Do I think he'll beat Luke in a 3rd fight, probably not. BUT if the fight happens its the right fight, if he loses he go's out on his sword + another good pay day and if he wins what a end to his career. Imagine how pi ssed the haters will be!! Man, I'll be celebrating for days.

Whatever way I look at it, it's right. Either Luke or Weidcan if he's gotta have one more.

Edited by Marble
  • Like 1

If Bisping beats him again I will legitimately quit the sport.  

Luke Rockhold can't box for chit and training under Henry Hooft isn't helping that.  Bisping has Jason Parillo and that man had an undefeated boxing career cut short.  That's why he turned to training.

Chins on both are suspect but that middleweight cut isn't helping Luke take shots well at all.  

• Like 2

It makes sense, both former champions trying to come back after getting KTFO'd in their last outings.

A rubber match also makes sense for those who regard Bisping's win over Rockhold as a fluke - the third would lend some credence to the "lucky punch(es) + arrogant Luke" theory if it played out a like like their first pairing. I think Bisping was simply the better man that night, no matter which way you slice it, but that's MMA for you.

Of course I'll never forget the shock of sitting there in a sports bar, having just watched Bisping - who took a title fight on a couple of weeks notice - KTFO Luke Rockhold in the first round. I couldn't wait to get home and read the posts here on the forum and the total disbelief... my favorite statement was "is this real life?".

rockhold2.jpg

Can't wait to see this face again

You would never see it.

You'd see a one sided brutal beating that resulted in Mike tapping to a one armed choke again.

• Like 1

You would never see it.

You'd see a one sided brutal beating that resulted in Mike tapping to a one armed choke again.

Fake news mate. Luke's confidence is down the drain and Bisping would come out for his last fight more motivated than ever. I think we will be seeing a new rockhold KO face in my av real soon. 

• Like 2

Fake news mate. Luke's confidence is down the drain and Bisping would come out for his last fight more motivated than ever. I think we will be seeing a new rockhold KO face in my av real soon. 

Unless Luke's dad is going die again, I don't see how he can possibly lose to Bisping again.

Bisping-Rockhold.png

^^It'd look like that at the end. Not a great way to retire.

• Like 1

Unless Luke's dad is going die again, I don't see how he can possibly lose to Bisping again.

Bisping-Rockhold.png

^^It'd look like that at the end. Not a great way to retire.

By the way, look at how classy he is as he helps Bisping up. Didn't scumbag Bisping get up on the cage, flick him off, and scream "**** you!" when he won? What a turd.

By the way, look at how classy he is as he helps Bisping up. Didn't scumbag Bisping get up on the cage, flick him off, and scream "**** you!" when he won? What a turd.

No, he said 'do you know where you are pal'.

Lol, this fight needs to happen. Both fights so far have provided great entertainment. The 'believe, achieve self-help' line from Bisping was memorable, as was luke's 'I'm going to smack that weak beard off your face' line before the first fight.

• Like 2

Didn't scumbag Bisping get up on the cage, flick him off, and scream "**** you!" when he won? What a turd.

Legend

• Like 1

Luke is very skilled, if his chin wasnt glass he would probably be undefeated.

he was outstruck in his last 3 fights.

• Like 2

he was outstruck in his last 3 fights.

not entirely true both rockhold and romero landed the exact same amount of significant strikes during their fight, however rockhold threw almost 2x as many strikes in total. Not to mention rockholds output was increasing as the fight went on, romero was slowing down. Had romero not landed that blow or had it not kod rockhold i think its safe to say rockhold would have taken over the fight.

as for branch fight, rockholds chin being good didnt really matter, he won the fight.

Edited by PunchBag

not entirely true both rockhold and romero landed the exact same amount of significant strikes during their fight, however rockhold threw almost 2x as many strikes in total. Not to mention rockholds output was increasing as the fight went on, romero was slowing down. Had romero not landed that blow or had it not kod rockhold i think its safe to say rockhold would have taken over the fight.

as for branch fight, rockholds chin being good didnt really matter, he won the fight.

So what you're saying is Rockhold would have won... If he didn't get KTFO.

GTFO

• Like 1

Rockhold said it’s in discussions but he’s done with middleweight, wants Bisping at light heavyweight and at international fight week

• Like 1

Obviously both have spoken about it and I think it's in the works. Listening to Bisping now he says 1 or 2 more fights, then back to or maybe none. He's after Luke at international fight week and will retire next year when the uk gets another card. It will be based around Bisping so may see it in Manchester or could be back at the o2. I imagine them cashing in on Till and doing a stadium over here if he gets a title shot but that's a long way off let's just get the goats last 2 fights sorted for now.

I absolutely MUST see this fight!! UFC HAS to make it! These two have the best chemistry for a rivalry with each other. Bisping didn't seem interested in ANYONE. Belfort, Machida, Brunson, everyone he seemed to not be interested in. He seems to want Rockhold again though, which surprises me. Rockhold wants it at 185 or 205, he's all about it. It's gotta happen! Rubber match, baby!!