Sign in to follow this  
Mcmax3000

FOX Apparently More Interested in WWE Than UFC

http://www.sportingnews.com/wwe/news/fox-sports-wwe-raw-broadcast-tv-contract-ufc-smackdown-smack-down-ronda-rousey/1ovzh7gbpyt9t1fglfp1m7xr2w

The big question: what happens to Fox's TV deal with the UFC, which expires on Dec. 31, 2018.  If Fox lands WWE, look for the network to likely end its relationship with the UFC, said sources.

"[Fox] is definitely trying to get [the WWE]. They'll pass on UFC, then use 'Raw' for [Fox Broadcasting] and FS1 content," said a source.

Both the WWE and UFC are seeking up to $400 million a year for their TV rights. But Fox is more likely to fork over that kind of money for WWE than for UFC said sources. Fox currently pays around $120 million a year for UFC TV rights.

WWE gets more viewership and the ufc has been watering down and already saturated cards, which is why they are losing viewers quick

I know its unfair to compare the first ufc on fox card to what they are now (Cain vs JDS) but they don't give a fook anymore they'll let anyone headline those cards these days 

• Like 5

WWE gets more viewership

It does, but a lot of advertisers don't want to touch pro wrestling, so it's generally considered less valuable to TV stations than other shows/events that do similar or even lower ratings because they can charge better ad rates for the other shows.

NBC Universal has been doing their best the last few years to really push and try to change that perception, so it's not as bad as it used to be, but it's definitely still a thing.

• Like 2

It does, but a lot of advertisers don't want to touch pro wrestling, so it's generally considered less valuable to TV stations than other shows/events that do similar or even lower ratings because they can charge better ad rates for the other shows.

NBC Universal has been doing their best the last few years to really push and try to change that perception, so it's not as bad as it used to be, but it's definitely still a thing.

what about the fact that the ufc is on the decline when it comes to viewership? Not a lot of people like to / are in denial about the fact that it's not as popular as it once was

Can't blame fox to be honest.

If they get more viewers with wrestling they can't argue.

The ratings disparity between UFC and WWE is ridiculous.

I feel like the title is almost common sense.

WWE gets more viewers, but if they can charge more for advertisers for 1 - 2 Million UFC viewers than they can for 3 - 4 Million WWE viewers, which has traditionally been the case, then the number of viewers isn't necessarily an advantage for WWE.

• Like 1

what about the fact that the ufc is on the decline when it comes to viewership?

I'm sure that doesn't help the UFC's position right now.

WWE gets more viewers, but if they can charge more for advertisers for 1 - 2 Million UFC viewers than they can for 3 - 4 Million WWE viewers, which has traditionally been the case, then the number of viewers isn't necessarily an advantage for WWE.

Pretty much this....Fox picking WWE over UFC is a sign they prefer the cheaper alternative.

Lets be honest, fox hasnt been getting prime fights for quite a while now. It was obvious the relationship between ufc and fox wasnt going smoothly.

• Like 4

Pretty much this....Fox picking WWE over UFC is a sign they prefer the cheaper alternative.

Right, because they would prefer to get less money for their advertisements......

Top 20 university.

Right, because they would prefer to get less money for their advertisements......

Top 20 university.

well if thats the case then signing back with the UFC would be a no brainer right?

lol the ufc wants like 4 times more money when the cards are 4 times worse in quality as they used to be.   it feels sometimes that you couldnt even pay me enough to have to sit through some of these events.    an unininteresting pointless main event and 2 or 3 lol wimmens fights on the main card for pretty much any event you can name off recently. 

yeah thats really gonna draw in the viewers and keep them there. maybe even inspire them to pony up the extra $5 and happilly pay $65 to watch the latest pay per views the ufc has been putting on lately!

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 3

How happy are you right now that WWE is creaming the UFC Mcmax3000?

I’m a fan of both, so I’m not sure why that would make me happy, even if it was true.

• Like 2

well if thats the case then signing back with the UFC would be a no brainer right?

Depends on their ultimate goal with the deal.

For example, one of the reasons that WWE has been so valuable to USA the last few years is because those two nights of WWE programming significantly helps their overall average weekly rating, which they can then push to advertisers who are looking to buy ad time on the station in general.

So FOX could potentially be looking at WWE for the same reason, and may not be quite as concerned with making money directly on WWE programming if they feel that it’ll help the station overall.

• Like 1

No. You do realize they can ask for more money than the WWE was previously getting for ads, right?

what about the fact that the ufc is on the decline when it comes to viewership?

I should also note about this point that WWE’s ratings aren’t exactly on an upward trajectory either. Smackdown ratings have been up since the brand split a year and a half ago, but RAW has done some record lows during football season the last couple of years.

FINALLY, more people get to... WALK WITH ELIAS

silence your phones, hold your applause, and shut your damn mouths!

• Like 3

FOX in the last 5 or so years has consistenly choosen to pick inferior programming....from soccer(choosing ****ty euro leagues instead of EPL) to this. Nothing to see here folks.

• Like 1

FOX in the last 5 or so years has consistenly choosen to pick inferior programming....from soccer(choosing **** euro leagues instead of EPL) to this. Nothing to see here folks.

The Bundesliga deal began after EPL was signed to NBC. They air all types of UEFA, and random league cups.....

But none of those air at a time that would compete with the UFC. What are you talking about?

I agree with Chael Sonnen on Vince McMahon being the greatest promoter out there, better than any boxing or MMA fight-peddler. I'm paraphrasing here, but Vince essentially sells you a fake product, tells you it's fake right up front, and still fills arenas every single week.

It doesn't surprise me that old, creepy, steroid-addled Vince would pull out a Fox deal when the UFC couldn't.

The Bundesliga deal began after EPL was signed to NBC. They air all types of UEFA, and random league cups.....

But none of those air at a time that would compete with the UFC. What are you talking about?

Just saying fox sports is cheapo bro

They're bringing in record amounts of revenue, so lol, no.

thats only because everybody wants to walk with elias

WWE is going out of business.

TNA has the next star (Chris Adonis). They won't be able to keep up.

WWE is going out of business.

TNA has the next star (Chris Adonis). They won't be able to keep up.

He already appeared in the WWE years ago.

I saw an article the other day that had that video and was wondering. Figured it was click bait but i didn't know how true or not. 

I saw an article the other day that had that video and was wondering. Figured it was click bait but i didn't know how true or not. 

They had some more profitable years in the past pre-Network, but they're bringing in more revenue than ever and if they do well with their next TV deal, they could very easily be looking at their most profitable years ever coming up pretty soon.

• Like 1

They had some more profitable years in the past pre-Network, but they're bringing in more revenue than ever and if they do well with their next TV deal, they could very easily be looking at their most profitable years ever coming up pretty soon.

Do you think Vince will ever sell it? 

Do you think Vince will ever sell it?

I don’t need think he will, but I also don’t think it’s an impossibility.

• Like 1

I had to check out this thread because I wasn't sure if you were talking about the TV network or Fallon Fox. I wouldn't have been surprised either way.

Even though WWE is a complete joke,i will say that i got stoked for the Wrestlemania's in past years,the product was true to itself and marketed well.

Dana has been a major factor in where the UFC has gone and is going and imo he has done a piss poor job.He made a LOT of excuses about being a new sport and still growing but what he never mentioned was the UFC was a type of sport begging to make it huge in the sport and entertainment industry and the timing was just right to step in.

If Dana and former team had of worked this sport properly it would have continued to grow in stead of now being stagnant.Then when drilled by the press Dana got all huffy because they didn't want to include the McGregor fight,well that was NOT a UFC fight ,NOT a MMA fight,that was a spectacle fight.Having said that ,Boxing does well and with a giant name like Mayweather that fight should have done even better.

There is no organized structure to the UFC,it has been now for the past 2-3 years a very strong push towards super fights,try to make the most possible money no matter what it does to the overall brand name and more importantly,the legitimacy of the sport.

Then this whole USADA idea was no question a ploy to get into the Olympics as well likely cover their **** in case of insurance or lawsuits which made it more enticing to a buyer.The UFC cannot be trusted behind this veil of USADA,nobody knows what is being manipulated and coerced,so we have a non legit sport and a non legit testing that only tests some fighters,sometimes and not even full on tests.

• Like 1

Even though WWE is a complete joke,i will say that i got stoked for the Wrestlemania's in past years,the product was true to itself and marketed well.

Dana has been a major factor in where the UFC has gone and is going and imo he has done a piss poor job.He made a LOT of excuses about being a new sport and still growing but what he never mentioned was the UFC was a type of sport begging to make it huge in the sport and entertainment industry and the timing was just right to step in.

If Dana and former team had of worked this sport properly it would have continued to grow in stead of now being stagnant.Then when drilled by the press Dana got all huffy because they didn't want to include the McGregor fight,well that was NOT a UFC fight ,NOT a MMA fight,that was a spectacle fight.Having said that ,Boxing does well and with a giant name like Mayweather that fight should have done even better.

There is no organized structure to the UFC,it has been now for the past 2-3 years a very strong push towards super fights,try to make the most possible money no matter what it does to the overall brand name and more importantly,the legitimacy of the sport.

Then this whole USADA idea was no question a ploy to get into the Olympics as well likely cover their **** in case of insurance or lawsuits which made it more enticing to a buyer.The UFC cannot be trusted behind this veil of USADA,nobody knows what is being manipulated and coerced,so we have a non legit sport and a non legit testing that only tests some fighters,sometimes and not even full on tests.

amen to that my brother, preach!

Not surprised, the WWE must surely pull in a hell of a lot more revenue than the UFC.

The most recent UFC numbers I could find were 2015. That year, WWE made a bit more in revenue, but UFC was FAR more profitable:

Revenue

WWE: $659 Million

UFC: $609 Million

Profit

WWE: $29 Million

UFC: $157 Million

• Like 3

Wait I knew Honda was wrestling and obviously her nickname is Rowdy.... but she really ripped off Pipers whole wardrobe?

Ugh...

• Like 1

Wait I knew Honda was wrestling and obviously her nickname is Rowdy.... but she really ripped off Pipers whole wardrobe?

Ugh...

It's with the approval of his family. When she came out at the Royal Rumble, she was wearing one of Piper's old jackets... One of Piper's kids flew to Philadelphia to give it to her.