Sign in to follow this  
IrishSemtex

Which gun should I buy today?

Which gun do I buy today?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which gun do I buy today?

• P30
    • P30L

Screw the stupid march going on, I've been eyeballing a couple different ones. Should I get the H&K P30, or the P30L in 40S&W? There are other guns that would be at the top of my list, but these are cheaper and have been discontinued in .40, so the stock is depleting.

Never created a poll before so gonna try now....

Edited by IrishSemtex
  • Like 1

P30. Love mine. Dream to shoot.

Thanks for the input. I should add that I've shot the P30 and P30L both in .40, and side by side with my USP compact .40. I truly couldn't figure out which I liked shooting best, they're all great. The USP compact is better for EDC, but the P30 or P30L will be for night hiking/dog walking cuz they have better rails for attaching a light. The L has more sight radius and looks a bit sexier, but the P30 is a tad less front heavy. Hmmmm.....

• Like 1

I wish I had a Smith & Wesson 357 with a 6 inch barrel. I really like that gun.

S&W Model 19 and 27 are great .357 magnums. I never cared for the 586 or 686 models though

S&W Model 19 and 27 are great .357 magnums. I never cared for the 586 or 686 models though

My dad had one. Stainless steel with the wood grips. I've shot everything. Shotguns in every gauge, Target practice and clay pigeons. Rifles in nearly every caliber. All sorts of handguns. My favorite gun ever was that goddamn 357 magnum. Best looking goddamn gun I've ever seen, as well.

Truth be told, I haven't shot a gun of any kind in over 16 years.

My dad had one. Stainless steel with the wood grips. I've shot everything. Shotguns in every gauge, Target practice and clay pigeons. Rifles in nearly every caliber. All sorts of handguns. My favorite gun ever was that goddamn 357 magnum. Best looking goddamn gun I've ever seen, as well.

Truth be told, I haven't shot a gun of any kind in over 16 years.

Did it look like

img_1266.jpg

Or like

350px-Flickr_-_~Steve_Z~_-_S%5EW_27_Nick

have you considered the vp40 or glock 23? are you set on da or sa or lem?

Excellent suggestions! I have a VP40 and love it, it's my 2nd favorite striker fired gun behind my HK P7M13. I also have a Glock 35 and a 27. I'm not overly fond of the medium 19/23 sized Glocks, and I'm transitioning away from Glocks in general. I'm shifting (gradually) towards exclusively HK.

When it comes to HK, I'm finding more and more that I'm preferring the LEM system to their traditional DA/SA triggers. Have a P30sk LEM and it shoots great. It's a terrific defensive handgun trigger system, so any P30 I get will be LEM. I'm also eventually gonna convert my USP COMPACT to the LEM/hybrid match trigger. This is even nicer than the P30 trigger offerings.

Do you have a preference between the P30 and P30L? And if so, why?

I'll also be getting a HK45 and USP45 eventually.

ETA:

One advantage to me getting a P30 and already owning a VP40 is they use the same magazines! (In fact they work in my 9mm P30sk as well!)

Edited by IrishSemtex

stop.png?preset=componentImageMedium
STOP!

This first step is crucial. Stopping first allows your child the time he or she needs to remember the rest of the safety instructions.

donttouch.png?preset=componentImageMediu
Don’t Touch

A firearm that is not touched or disturbed is unlikely to be fired and otherwise endanger your child or other people.

run_away.png?preset=componentImageMedium
Run Away

This removes the temptation to touch the firearm as well as the danger that another person may negligently cause it to fire.

tell_an_adult.png?preset=componentImageM
Tell A Grown-up

Children should seek a trustworthy adult, neighbor, relative or teacher – if a parent or guardian is not available.

stop.png?preset=componentImageMedium

STOP!

This first step is crucial. Stopping first allows your child the time he or she needs to remember the rest of the safety instructions.

donttouch.png?preset=componentImageMediu

Don’t Touch

A firearm that is not touched or disturbed is unlikely to be fired and otherwise endanger your child or other people.

run_away.png?preset=componentImageMedium

Run Away

This removes the temptation to touch the firearm as well as the danger that another person may negligently cause it to fire.

tell_an_adult.png?preset=componentImageM

Tell A Grown-up

Children should seek a trustworthy adult, neighbor, relative or teacher – if a parent or guardian is not available.

This is outstanding advice and should be taught to children. The evil NRA that these marching morons are protesting has lobbied for years to teach this very thing to children in schools, but apparently that would be an awful thing to do because reasons

This is outstanding advice and should be taught to children. The evil NRA that these marching morons are protesting has lobbied for years to teach this very thing to children in schools, but apparently that would be an awful thing to do because reasons

Gun owners bear no responsibility. Are you going to teach your children, or wait for someone else to do it?

Gun owners bear no responsibility. Are you going to teach your children, or wait for someone else to do it?

Gun owners don't bear any responsibility yet out of about 50 million households in the US that have a gun there are somewhere between 200-500 children a year that are injured by gun accidents. Around 70% of those were said to be preventable by proper storage. That's .0007% of gun owning households a year if you take the highest number.
  • Like 2

That's quite the generalization there. I've known countless gun owners that have been extremely responsible, teach their children responsibility, and encourage others to do the same.

I have no use for children, I despise them and would never have them, but if I did, I certainly would take the responsibility for them and teach them the same.

It's very interesting that an anti gunner like you, would post those basic firearms rules for children in this thread which the NRA has been trying to get taught in schools. Then accuse gun owners of bearing no responsibility when it's the antis prohibiting such safety briefings

• Like 1

Gun owners don't bear any responsibility yet out of about 50 million households in the US that have a gun there are somewhere between 200-500 children a year that are injured by gun accidents. Around 70% of those were said to be preventable by proper storage. That's .0007% of gun owning households a year if you take the highest number.

This is what bothers me. "Oh, it's only 200 kids a year, quit crying about it."

That's quite the generalization there. I've known countless gun owners that have been extremely responsible, teach their children responsibility, and encourage others to do the same.

I have no use for children, I despise them and would never have them, but if I did, I certainly would take the responsibility for them and teach them the same.

It's very interesting that an anti gunner like you, would post those basic firearms rules for children in this thread which the NRA has been trying to get taught in schools. Then accuse gun owners of bearing no responsibility when it's the antis prohibiting such safety briefings

There are certain basics in life that parents teach their children. If the parents own guns, it's reasonable to expect them to teach gun safety to their own children. You seem to be blaming someone else.

Edited by classicboxer
  • Like 1

Did it look like

img_1266.jpg

It looked like this magnificent work of art.

Yeah that's a 686. Very good gun, but aesthetically I never cared much for that underlug on the barrel. I preferred the classic more elegant lines of the 19 and 27 series. But they're from different eras. I can certainly understand having a fondness of a gun you associate with your dad. I still love my dad's Dan Wesson .357 with vented rib. That was the gun that taught me that a gun in the right hands can make something scary and potentially dangerous be not so much of a problem.

This is what bothers me. "Oh, it's only 200 kids a year, quit crying about it."

There are certain basics in life that parents teach their children. If the parents own guns, it's reasonable to expect them to teach gun safety to their own children. You seem to be blaming someone else.

I'm not sure who you're accusing me of blaming for what. But the purpose of the program with this set of safety rules for kids that you randomly posted in this thread, isn't geared primarily towards gun owner children, but ALL children. Just cuz you don't have a gun doesn't mean your child won't encounter one in someone else's house, or even in a toilet stall where a cop left his. It's happened. And if guns are a forbidden topic in your household there's gonna be more curiosity built up in a child about the subject, and if they encounter one without any clue on what to safely do about it, they're gonna be more likely to do something foolish instead of leaving the area.

• Like 2

I just posted stats to show that a large majority of gun owners use safe practices and teach their children to respect guns which proves your generalization to be wrong. That isn't blaming anyone. I also think that gun safety should be taught to all children at home and either in school or as a class like I took as a kid.

Coming from a region where hunting is prevalent most kids are taught about guns at an early age here. Besides some hunting accidents you don't hear about kids accidentally shooting people around here. I believe that it's due to kids learning about guns and safe practices early on. Kids are always interested in the unknown so if you take away that mystique and teach them to respect them then you could also lower the amount of accidents and gun crimes.

• Like 1

Get the P30 in 9. Fook that "L" crap. That's for the same gender neutrals that pick the Glock 34 over the 17.

Thank you for the input! What specifically do you not like about the L model, or the Glock 34 for that matter?

Truth be told I've never shot the P30L but those longer barrel versions of pistols always make me shake my head. I don't know man but to me it just screams "I'm not very confident in my abilities, please sir can I have a little extra on my barrel length and sight radius".

Edited by NetshadeX
  • Like 1

I will read the thread but as of this post I haven't.

You already own a Glock 27 right?  The 4" barrel from the larger Glock 23 can be put in one.  It's sitting over there on the coffee but more like beer table with a 15 round magazine in it full of hollowpoints because the baby G's can use all size mags.

I'm weird and I although I drink less I still drink.  I think the Glock 19 stock with the exact same barrel length as my 27 is better served as the nightstand pistol.  I want ammo capacity plus better aim via 9mm.

If you can't kill someone/thing with a 9mm handgun you might as well just give up hope of killing anything.  I love .40 cal but it's a high pressure round.  There's a saying in the south that a new Toyota Tacoma is a 20 year truck.  Well I have my own saying... a 3rd generation Glock in 9mm is a LIFETIME gun.  You could treat it like chit and not clean it... it's still going to fire.

The ultimate pistol is a .357 but not like the ones pictured.  The tactical 8 shot version is the sickest revolver ever made.

Edited by PlatinumClegg
  • Like 1

Truth be told I've never shot the P30L but those longer barrel versions of pistols always make me shake my head. I don't know man but to me it just screams "I'm not very confident in my abilities, please sir can I have a little extra on my barrel length and sight radius".

Why would you not want extra sight radius?  I won't even address barrel length although that increases FPS.

As mentioned above I have a Glock 27 with a Glock 23 barrel in it.  However don't you think the sight radius would help me shoot a standard 23 more accurately?  You can also get a much better grip.

Edited by PlatinumClegg

Yet even one dead kid is too much.

Why would you not want extra sight radius?  

Extra sight radius and longer barrel generally aid in more accurate shooting, I get and respect that, no discussion there. The thing is....I don't know, it personal.

It's less extreme but similar to these guys at the range with their compensators on their 1911 pistols, electronic optics mounted, weights on their rails, hairtrigger jobs. "Look at me shooting 1 groups at 30 yards". Sure buddy why don't wear a flower in your hair as well.   

edit: you know, these guys:

p56.jpg

GTFO with that ****

Edited by NetshadeX
  • Like 2

Walter ppk bro

That's a gun you MIGHT consider buying for your wife... if you ever have one.  Realistically you buy a Ruger LC9 bought and registered under her name.  Then have a nasty divorce but you keep that goddamn gun registered under her name.  It's like a back up throwaway.

• Like 1

That's a gun you MIGHT consider buying for your wife... if you ever have one. Realistically you buy a Ruger LC9 bought and registered under her name. Then have a nasty divorce but you keep that goddamn gun registered under her name. It's like a back up throwaway.

That gun will get you laid

Most other recomendations are wat a emo would buy

• Like 1

Extra sigh radius and longer barrel generally aid in more accurate shooting, I get and respect that, no discussion there. The thing is....I don't know, it personal.

It's less extreme but similar to these guys at the range with their compensators on their 1911 pistols, electronic optics mounted, weights on their rails, hairtrigger jobs. "Look at me shooting 1 groups at 30 yards". Sure buddy why don't wear a flower in your hair as well.   

p56.jpg

GTFO with that ****

lmao I get you I would never trick a pistol out that far.  I do have a couple of badas$ ones though.  Ideally you trick out your 8 shot .357 if it's a pistol.  Other it should be we will just say rifle exclusive.  Putting a muzzle break on a pistol.  First off what kind of caliber are you shooting?

1911's and all little 1911 .45's are garbage better thrown at someone.  I shouldn't be rustled about it but a friend of mine owns one.  A Kimber small 1911.  That's 7+1 and it jammed up first time we PUT ONE MAGAZINE through it.

• Like 1

That gun will get you laid

Most other recomendations are wat a emo would buy

I'm gonna try it.  The old school James Bond trick... it could be feasible.

• Like 1

how about a remington split barrel murder-suicide shotgun?

iizkoboeuo6zywuiunqa.jpg

or perhaps one of these bad boys

dad_and_I_in_South_Dakota.jpg

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Extra sight radius and longer barrel generally aid in more accurate shooting, I get and respect that, no discussion there. The thing is....I don't know, it personal.

p56.jpg

GTFO with that ****

laserlyte-pistol-bayonet.jpg

military-humor-funny-jokes-swiss-army-gu

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2

p56.jpg

GTFO with that ****

Thanks for the input.

As far as the gun pictured here, when they're set up like that it's not so much for "look at me", it's built for specific action shooting competitions in specific divisions. Like a tuned racecar. Every part on it, including the magazines used, is optimized for running a specific ammo in its specific competition.

Unfortunately when I shot the rental P30 and P30L side by side, it was at an indoor range so I couldn't run drills with them with a shot timer to quantify the difference between them. Hence my conundrum on which to start with. For me that's the bigger question on these 2 guns. The longer sight radius and extra weight MIGHT make my split times and target transition times a bit faster with the P30L. BUT some people on other boards have an easier faster time tracking the front sight on the shorter P30. The good thing is you can't go wrong with either of these great guns, especially since I'll eventually have both :)

Get a machete, so that you can castrate an intruder, after you shoot them. Just to ensure that they cannot procreate if they survive.

• Like 2