Sign in to follow this  
I_Take_Roids_m8

Saturday proved why we need to see Khabib/Ferg or Khabib/Lee

The Khabib you saw Saturday was different than what you saw against Barboza. Against Barboza he was in the zone and pushing the pace, never taking a step back. Against Al he was playing paddy cake and screwing around and still won easily.

After the Edson fight, he proved he is one of the best if not the best LW in the division. After Saturday, it looked like he belonged with Ragin Al at certain points.

We need to see Khabib/Ferg or Khabib/Lee. Either of these fights with both fighters focused would he crazy. I'm more leaning towards Khabib/Lee being more interesting with Lee's wrestling and decent stand up. We won't be seeing Ferg back for a while.

What say you lads?

• Like 8

I agree and i want to see him fight Lee because he presents the same kind of challenges that Al did. 

People are downplaying the Al fight cause h8'er gonna h8.

First of all Al isn't a joke as some people seem to think and he's a pretty good style match-up with his particular set of skills and attributes. That kind of fighter is the kinda guy that can challenge Khabib best. 

Khabib dominated and got so bored in there he was playing around to gain more experience in aspects he's not the best in and push through those championship rounds which he's never done and he still dominated. 

• Like 5

Lee has done absolutely zero to earn a seat at a Khabib event let alone the honour of getting Khabpied

• Like 6

Three flaws i see with Khabib that could get him in trouble. He doesn't kick enough at range to set-up hands to shoot seamless. He gets away with it because he commits, he's strong AF, good timing and he's pretty fast too. 

He chases a little tew much relying on crowding to bait but sometimes he gets a little desperate and blitzs in with wide combination punching and doesn't quite angle or move his head off center line when he does so he can walk into a heavy counter punches if he does that too much. 

He's a little too upright with his chin in the air at times but i know what he's doing there he's baiting high just like Gracies do but if he doesn't set-up his shoots right and offer kicks and hands at distance to keep someone on their heels to take the power off counters he could walk into something if the distance of his shoot is tew far outside and easily seen. i.e. if a fighter waits almost till the last split second then blast him with a very well timed knee, short overhand behind the ear or uppercut or shovel hook then follow-up with a crisp short striking combination when he bails high with his chin in the air they could catch him slipping and end his night. 

Those are all things he really needs to watch out for from what i saw in the Al fight. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 4

New FC made us start to think the fighter who should fight Khabib should be the one who matches ups with him the best to win. A few years ago it was about who deserve the title shot . Things change I guess. 

• Like 4

I love Khabib as much as the next guy - perhaps more.  However, I was frustrated with how everything played out this week and that as OP states, Khabib seemed to be playing with Al more than anything. It was not the khabib I wanted to see and actually left Barclays after the third round.  Mrs. bird thought I was poopy pants and she was probably right but I didn't really have interest in watching that.  I wanted to see Khabib at his best.

Edited by jaybird86
  • Like 4

can we have the pleasure of watching the great khabib destroy conor first before he goes on to take care of unfinished business with tony?

otherwise its gonna be a long wait.  tony got hurt playing touchbutt at the press event.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2

I love Khabib as much as the next guy - perhaps more. However, I was frustrated with how everything played out this week and that as OP states, Khabib seemed to be playing with Al more than anything. It was not the khabib I wanted to see and actually left Barclays after the third round. Mrs. bird thought I was poopy pants and she was probably right but I didn't really have interest in watching that. I wanted to see Khabib at his best.

You put it better than me. After the Barboza fight, I think he proved that hes a P4P and then fights like a can against Al. He did destroy Al but he could have finished the fight if he wanted to and went after him like he did Edson.

• Like 4

New FC made us start to think the fighter who should fight Khabib should be the one who matches ups with him the best to win. A few years ago it was about who deserve the title shot . Things change I guess. 

Agreed as much as i like seeing one sided beat downs i actually do like seeing champions challenged. 

• Like 3

I have little to add other than I agree.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any champs looking great against last minute replacements....tj v Soto, dc v Silva, rockhold v bisping... all looked kinda meh.

I think if Lee wins his next fight handsomely he probably deserves the next shot. Should really be Conor or Ferguson but given the events of this week who knows when either will be fighting again. Full camp khabib v ful camp Lee would be a great match-up

• Like 3

Three flaws i see with Khabib that could get him in trouble. He doesn't kick enough at range to set-up hands to shoot seamless. He gets away with it because he commits, he's strong AF, good timing and he's pretty fast too. 

He chases a little tew much relying on crowding to bait but sometimes he gets a little desperate and blitzs in with wide combination punching and doesn't quite angle or move his head off center line when he does so he can walk into a heavy counter punches if he does that too much. 

He's a little too upright with his chin in the air at times but i know what he's doing there he's baiting high just like Gracies do but if he doesn't set-up his shoots right and offer kicks and hands at distance to keep someone on their heels to take the power off counters he could walk into something if the distance of his shoot is tew far outside and easily seen. i.e. if a fighter waits almost till the last split second then blast him with a very well timed knee, short overhand behind the ear or uppercut or shovel hook then follow-up with a crisp short striking combination when he bails high with his chin in the air they could catch him slipping and end his night. 

Those are all things he really needs to watch out for from what i saw in the Al fight. 

great post bro

additional frustration on my part was pertinent to the question whether Al could win the title if he did miraculously beat Khabib.  The NYSAC ruled NO.  How can you have a title fight, when only one of the competitors is eligible to be rewarded with it?  That was more credence to the fact that this should not have even happened.  Baldy danced around it at the press conference by saying that if Al won, although NYSAC would not recognize it, the UFC community would know who the champ was.  F*cking please...  

Edited by jaybird86
  • Like 2

I think if Lee wins his next fight handsomely he probably deserves the next shot. Should really be Conor or Ferguson but given the events of this week who knows when either will be fighting again. Full camp khabib v ful camp Lee would be a great match-up

If Lee wins, he is probably next in line. We have no clue how long this legal crap with Conor will take & I seriously doubt that Dana & Co. want to try to schedule Khabib-Ferguson for a fifth time.

The only *asterisk* if Lee beats Barbosa will be if it's a close decision. Considering how Khabib completely routed Barbosa, Lee needs a dominant victory to convince everyone that he deserves the shot.

• Like 2

Although I value your opinion roids, if I don't see Conor vs Khabib this year I will implode

they both have clear paths to victory, I need to see that **** right away

• Like 2

I love Khabib as much as the next guy - perhaps more.  However, I was frustrated with how everything played out this week and that as OP states, Khabib seemed to be playing with Al more than anything. It was not the khabib I wanted to see and actually left Barclays after the third round.  Mrs. bird thought I was poopy pants and she was probably right but I didn't really have interest in watching that.  I wanted to see Khabib at his best.

everyone has bad fights

Jones against OSP, Silva vs Maia, GSP vs Shields

Khabib is still a goat, yes he has holes but he trains with the best and he his forward pressure compliments his takedowns, he just needs to remember to not be so ****y standing up

Edited by King_Can!
  • Like 1

^^ fair point IRT but I should expect to get what I pay for too.  four fights removed and the main event being a steamer - not the value I was expecting.

• Like 1

^^ fair point IRT but I should expect to get what I pay for too.  four fights removed and the main event being a steamer - not the value I was expecting.

you paid still? lol I thought we were in a forum agreement that we were all stramming

• Like 6

Although I value your opinion roids, if I don't see Conor vs Khabib this year I will implode

they both have clear paths to victory, I need to see that **** right away

I want to see this, but I don't know if it will happen this year... If it does, I'll be excited, but I am not getting my hopes up.

WITH ARTEM vs zabit on the undercard

Can we set up a full Dagestan/Russia vs. Ireland card? Hell, that should be a TUF season. Do it like they did ATT vs. Blackzilians. I'd actually watch TUF for once.

you paid still? lol I thought we were in a forum agreement that we were all stramming

Reddit provides the best streams.

• Like 1

I want to see this, but I don't know if it will happen this year... If it does, I'll be excited, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Can we set up a full Dagestan/Russia vs. Ireland card? Hell, that should be a TUF season. Do it like they did ATT vs. Blackzilians. I'd actually watch TUF for once.

Reddit provides the best streams.

Khabib vs Conor coaching TUF? will never happen, Busses would implode and they would kill eachother

the only way to make that season better would be to add Cody Garbrandt in somehow so he can try to fight someone every 5 seconds

• Like 2

A whole lot of MMA knowledge up in this thread. Brings a goddamn tear to my eye.

As Stomp said, the one glaring weakness I saw is that his chin is wayyyy too high. Anybody that can keep Khabib upright in the latter rounds, and has better boxing than he does, is going to give him trouble.

It felt like he was toying with Iaquinta though. So who really knows if anybody else at 155, aside from potentially Lee and maybe Gaethje, will be able keep Khabib on his feet at all. I think it remains to be seen.

• Like 5

A whole lot of MMA knowledge up in this thread. Brings a goddamn tear to my eye.

As Stomp said, the one glaring weakness I saw is that his chin is wayyyy too high. Anybody that can keep Khabib upright in the latter rounds, and has better boxing than he does, is going to give him trouble.

It felt like he was toying with Iaquinta though. So who really knows if anybody else at 155, aside from potentially Lee and maybe Gaethje, will be able keep Khabib on his feet at all. I think it remains to be seen.

The thing with Khabib is that he excels at grappling against the cage. In the open/center his grappling is mediocre at best and I'll be the first to admit that. That's why he looked so dominating against Barboza. He walked him down and completely mauled him against the cage and imposed his will. And that's with Edson having a 90ish % take down defense.

His style of takedowns aims to go lower so anyone with decent take down defense and agility can shake him off in the middle of the cage or escape.

• Like 4

I want Lee to squeeze Barbozo's head clean off of his shoulders in the first round, and then demand his title shot against Khabib.

• Like 3

It is very hard to criticize fighter's performances on crazy stuff like what happened to UFC 223 

BUT ....

after watching how Khabib did with Al, Im now convinced Ferg and Lee will actually give Khabib a great challenge.

• Like 2

It is very hard to criticize fighter's performances on crazy stuff like what happened to UFC 223 

BUT ....

after watching how Khabib did with Al, Im now convinced Ferg and Lee will actually give Khabib a great challenge.

Khabib was so far beyond Al in the grappling area that he decided to treat it like sparring practice & work on improving his obvious weakness... in a title fight.

Not sure how you could draw your conclusion from that.

• Like 3

I think the cut to 155 instead of his usual 156 is why his performance was a little off. I dont think he will remain at 155 for much longer. Maybe 2 more fights.

I also think he wanted to test his standup a little which is why he took a round or 2 off of his wrestling, as well as having to pace himself in 5 rounder.

Still at no point was the fight really competitive i mean just look at score cards. 50-44 50-43 and 50-43

2 judges gave him 2 10-8 rounds and 1 judge gave him 1 10-8

khabib has probably had more 10-8 rounds than any other lw

Edited by PunchBag
  • Like 3

Khabib was so far beyond Al in the grappling area that he decided to treat it like sparring practice & work on improving his obvious weakness... in a title fight.

All my respect m8, I also dont know how you know that for sure when Khabib himself said he wanted to put up a 'champion performance' against Al.

So you really think he didnt finish Al because he didnt want to ?

Im not sure m8

• Like 2

He gave his future opponents(Conor, tferg, mtp) some good material to study thats for sure.

• Like 3

He gave his future opponents(Conor, tferg, mtp) some good material to study thats for sure.

gonna catch them off guard too when it goes into the 3rd round and he just goes relentless for takedowns and continues to maul him on the ground instead of just deciding to stand up and toy with him like it was some kind of exhibition match

khabib looked great. he's got cardio for days and could have easilly mauled raging al for another couple rounds . he'd never screw around like he did in the 3rd and 4th if he felt like he was being faced with any kind of challenge.  that was just a warm up for him and he just decided to play around and have fun. youll never see him do that against a legit opponent.

its better practice and more of a challenge to actually work on improving your striking if youre in a real fight and you know your opponent has nothing to bring you,  because even in sparring in training, your partner isnt really trying to hurt or injure you so you arent going to take it anywhere near as serious.  the best place to actually get the experience is in a real fight, and khabib really put on a clinic the way he could pump the jab and block shots while constantly talking chit and showboating.  but thats a side of khabib we'll probably never see again. 

Edited by -idyb-

gonna catch them off guard too when it goes into the 3rd round and he just goes relentless for takedowns and continues to maul him on the ground instead of just deciding to stand up and toy with him like it was some kind of exhibition match

Well for anyone fighting Kabob their first priority is to defend takedown attemps....if they are caught off guard then they prob dont deserve to win anyways...

If they can defend the takedown then there is a really really good chance a good striker will light kabob up.

• Like 1

I think the cut to 155 instead of his usual 156 is why his performance was a little off. I dont think he will remain at 155 for much longer. Maybe 2 more fights.

I also think he wanted to test his standup a little which is why he took a round or 2 off of his wrestling, as well as having to pace himself in 5 rounder.

Still at no point was the fight really competitive i mean just look at score cards. 50-44 50-43 and 50-43

2 judges gave him 2 10-8 rounds and 1 judge gave him 1 10-8

khabib has probably had more 10-8 rounds than any other lw

Khabib put an exclamation point on the weight cut and got to 154.

• Like 2

Well for anyone fighting Kabob their first priority is to defend takedown attemps....if they are caught off guard then they prob dont deserve to win anyways...

If they can defend the takedown then there is a really really good chance a good striker will light kabob up.

the thing is most lightweights are probably going to get ragdolled by him with ease. his grappling is just on a completely different level than everybody else in the division

tony might give him a problem for the first little bit and stuff a bunch of takedowns early on, but he would eventually wilt.  but a guy like conor would be on his back and getting thrashed around the moment khabib puts hands on him. same with pretty much everybody else in the division

at least he's learning some striking though. if he gets real good at that, he'd be like a 155 pound version of GSP that excels at everything and he'll be able to keep the fight wherever he wants  and still dominate, but right now as it is he wouldnt have much of a chance against gsp at 170 and theres no way a st pierre would ever make 155 anyways

i dont see him knocking out any good fighters on his feet any time soon, but he damn sure is good at imposing his will on everybody. i thought his toying and showboating was a little funny and completely out of his character to even attempt,but he really didnt need to do that. he could have easilly just kept with his normal gameplan and just mauled the chit out of al in the 3rd and finished it instead of playing with him for 2 rounds.  

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

I'm on board for all these fights for Khabib.

Lee, Ferguson, Conor, winner of Poirier/Gaethje. I want to see them all.

Really hope Lee beats Edson so he's in the title shot mix.

• Like 6

All my respect m8, I also dont know how you know that for sure when Khabib himself said he wanted to put up a 'champion performance' against Al.

So you really think he didnt finish Al because he didnt want to ?

Im not sure m8

In the Post Fight Presser, Khabib himself said he wanted to work on his striking and since he was absolutely mauling Al on the ground, he felt he could use him for striking practice.

• Like 2

In the Post Fight Presser, Khabib himself said he wanted to work on his striking and since he was absolutely mauling Al on the ground, he felt he could use him for striking practice.

Thats fine but I just think it is pretty bold to a fighter just 'practice' during such an important fight. 

I totally believe and respect your opinion m8 but I just dont buy that kind of stuff.

But again .. Im always wrong seems like lol

• Like 1

additional frustration on my part was pertinent to the question whether Al could win the title if he did miraculously beat Khabib.  The NYSAC ruled NO.  How can you have a title fight, when only one of the competitors is eligible to be rewarded with it?  That was more credence to the fact that this should not have even happened.  Baldy danced around it at the press conference by saying that if Al won, although NYSAC would not recognize it, the UFC community would know who the champ was.  F*cking please...  

This has happened numerous times before. Why does it happen? Because it's better than cancelling the fight or taking away the other fighter's chance at the championship just because the other guy missed weight. It's far from ideal, but under the circumstances it still seems like the best option from a bunch of bad ones.

• Like 3

This has happened numerous times before. Why does it happen? Because it's better than cancelling the fight or taking away the other fighter's chance at the championship just because the other guy missed weight. It's far from ideal, but under the circumstances it still seems like the best option from a bunch of bad ones.

more of a rhetorical question

Another really important reason it happened at 223, the NYSAC has a legal precedent that any Boxing/MMA event has to have a combined 31 rounds minimum in order to go ahead and sell. UFC 223 would have only had 29 Rounds combined if Khabib vs Al was not a title fight (5 Rounds) Was numerous tweets and such about this during the event

Edited by stehilton94
  • Like 3