Sign in to follow this  
Mcmax3000

Montano Defending Flyweight Title Against Shevchenko Targeted for Main Event of FOX Show in Calgary

"Sources told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that the hope is to schedule UFC women’s flyweight champion Nicco Montano’s first title defense vs. Valentina Shevchenko for the main event but that has not been finalized yet."

Little note towards the bottom of the article about Aldo/Stephens:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/27/17290244/jose-aldo-vs-jeremy-stephens-set-for-co-main-event-of-ufc-on-fox-card-in-calgary-on-july-28

• Like 1

"Sources told MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that the hope is to schedule UFC women’s flyweight champion Nicco Montano’s first title defense vs. Valentina Shevchenko for the main event but that has not been finalized yet."

Little note towards the bottom of the article about Aldo/Stephens:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/27/17290244/jose-aldo-vs-jeremy-stephens-set-for-co-main-event-of-ufc-on-fox-card-in-calgary-on-july-28

About bloody time.

I actually feel bad for Nicco. Think she's going to have the same unfortunate luck of people forgetting she was champion like Carla Esparza before her because she and this entire division were promoted terribly.

Plenty of my more casual friends who watch this don't even know there is a Women's Flyweight division.

Can't see anything else happening other than Valentina running right through her.

Edited by Jolldan

REDRUM Nicco - This is not a Modifieri...

By the way - it was a good run!

Edited by jaybird86
  • Like 3

About bloody time.

I actually feel bad for Nicco. Think she's going to have the same unfortunate luck of people forgetting she was champion like Carla Esparza before her because she and this entire division were promoted terribly.

Plenty of my more casual friends who watch this don't even know there is a Women's Flyweight division.

Can't see anything else happening other than Valentina running right through her.

Weirdly enough I remember Carla as a champ, she murdered Rose and beat Tecia Torres, but I guess it was just because I watched TUF, did not have any interest in the flyweight one though

About bloody time.

She won the title in December and it's only April. It's not like she's been sitting out for a year.

• Like 1

She won the title in December and it's only April. It's not like she's been sitting out for a year.

Yeah, don't understand why people are getting mad, it actually did not take long at all  :lol:

Wow so Canada is going to witness the first death in the octagon. 

lol that was my same thoughts.

In fact, they might witness two because I can see 'who da fook is that guy' killing post USADA Aldo too

Edited by skillandpower
  • Like 3

lol that was my same thoughts.

In fact, they might witness two because I can see 'who da fook is that guy' killing post USADA Aldo too

No Jose Aldo is not going to lose to a guy with like 13 losses... Unless he gets kneed on the ground illegally.

I'm not meaning it's her fault just she's not exactly that well known right now so you think the UFC would have tried to book this fight asap so the division gets more of chance for exposure and growth.

I'm not meaning it's her fault just she's not exactly that well known right now so you think the UFC would have tried to book this fight asap so the division gets more of chance for exposure and growth.

I believe they couldn't book the fight sooner because Montano was injured.

No Jose Aldo is not going to lose to a guy with like 13 losses... Unless he gets kneed on the ground illegally.

Another bad take.  Jeremy Stephens is going to stretch Jose.  Another Brazilian champion gets slumped at the hands of Lil Heathen.

I'll even bet that Aldo shoots a takedown like I predicted in both Holloway fights and the idiot didn't use his underrated offensive wrestling at all.  He'll get cracked proper and shoot a double.  You heard it here first.

• Like 3

Helwani says Montano being a duck

UFC is losing patience with Nicco Montaño. As I reported last week, the plan was for her to defend the 125 title against Valentina Shevchenko in Calgary but they are having a hard time getting a commitment from her. While it’s not scrapped, they are now looking at other options.

One of of those options, as @bokamotoESPN reported last night, is Alvarez v. Poirier 2 but based on the conversations I’ve had, I’d categorize those talks as preliminary at this point. Some hurdles, most notably Alvarez’s contract situation. He has one fight left.

• Like 1

UFC is losing patience with Nicco Montaño. As I reported last week, the plan was for her to defend the 125 title against Valentina Shevchenko in Calgary but they are having a hard time getting a commitment from her. While it’s not scrapped, they are now looking at other options.

One of of those options, as @bokamotoESPN reported last night, is Alvarez v. Poirier 2 but based on the conversations I’ve had, I’d categorize those talks as preliminary at this point. Some hurdles, most notably Alvarez’s contract situation. He has one fight left.

If Nicco ducks straight up strip her and release, she does not deserve to even be in the UFC with 1 win against a nobody who was not even supposed to be in the final and then ducking, its worse than De Dutch**** because at least she has some fights in the UFC. 

• Like 1

GDR 2.0 here we come!

• Like 1

MMA fans are a fickle bunch... Looks like Ariel was right on this one. If his sources were the UFC themselves, then nothing Montano said in her reply contradicted what Ariel originally said. Also, her reaction was equivalent to that of a pre-pubescent teenager when confronted with the issue.

It's commonplace for fighters to sign bout agreements before they are going into fight camp. Personally, I think Montano is running, injury or not. It's a fight she won't win & she'll most likely get battered by Valentina.

MMA fans are a fickle bunch... Looks like Ariel was right on this one. If his sources were the UFC themselves, then nothing Montano said in her reply contradicted what Ariel originally said. Also, her reaction was equivalent to that of a pre-pubescent teenager when confronted with the issue.

It's commonplace for fighters to sign bout agreements before they are going into fight camp. Personally, I think Montano is running, injury or not. It's a fight she won't win & she'll most likely get battered by Valentina.

UFC stopped giving Ariel scoops even before his fallout from leaking the Brock Lesnar return. His sources are other fighters and he builds relationships with all the managers of various fighters. Managers use him indirectly as well to get fights made sometimes it seems.

It's possible they sent out the contracts to Shev and Nicco before knowing anything was wrong with her. I dont want to completely say shes not ducking but even if i do like ariel, its easy to see that he does a lot of sneaky chit.

I was watching some interview with a random fighter and they said Ariel is sneaky, he befriends the lowest guy in a gym and slowly works his way to the top guys.

• Like 1

Gonna be ****ing hilarious once Valentina bodies her she and she try's to get on MMA Hour to try and hype her next fight.

Gonna be **** hilarious once Valentina bodies her she and she try's to get on MMA Hour to try and hype her next fight.

She won't have a next fight, being dead has that effect on you

• Like 2

TUF winner of the 125 pound womens season. Champion at 125.

ahhhh now I know why I have no idea whodafuсk

• Like 3

Nicco just bodied Helwani and became Danas favorite fighter

DcH7X4eWAAAI1Ny.jpg

DcH9ek8VQAAkqeL.jpg

lol Ariel has over 10 times more followers than she does on Instagram

When a Journalist is more famous than a champion >>>

Nicco needs to stop feeling so entitled and just sign the dotted line

• Like 2

So it turns out that Helwani was completely right and was backed by both Shevchenko and the UFC, Montano also sort of issued an apology, she is ducking, 100%

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/nicco-montano-ariel-helwani-apology-176788

while I did see the Shevchenko tweet there isn't one from the UFC in the article you posted so we have to take Ariel at his word that any UFC employees backed him. And I'm not taking his word at **** he's as big of a dbag as dana

lol Ariel has over 10 times more followers than she does on Instagram

When a Journalist is more famous than a champion >>>

Nicco needs to stop feeling so entitled and just sign the dotted line

It seemed to me she got rustled pretty easily because Valentina is already in her mind. She knows she is losing that belt in the most embarrassing way a champ can lose. It wont even be close and she knows it