Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

End Of the Flyweight Division?

Flyweight Division  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should It Be Closed?

• Yes?
    • No?

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/demetrious-johnson-says-its-unfortunate-that-the-ufc-might-close-the-flyweight-division/

Image result for men's flyweight division

With Demetrious Johnson no longer in the UFC flyweight picture, and current 125-pound champion Henry Cejudo rumored to be moving up to bantamweight for a fight with T.J. Dillashaw, many believe that the writing is on the wall for the UFC to close their men’s 125-pound division.

This would mark the first time the UFC has closed a division since it closed the Lightweight division from 2004 to 2006.

It might be an understandable loss as Johnson was holder of another record he probably wouldn't have wanted, he had the 1st, 2nd, and tied 3rd lowest selling UFC PPV's from UFC 101 to UFC 200.

If Cejudo is keen on moving up to face TJ then I wouldn't be surprised if we see Dana simply close it which would be unfortunate for the fighters but is understandable if nobody really wants to watch the fights.

Even though he's leaving Johnson still has hopes for the UFC's Flyweight division.

“Demetrious Johnson says it’s ‘unfortunate’ that the UFC might close the flyweight division. He believes the UFC should keep the division. But if the athletes from there want to join him in ONE Championship, he believes that will be the best place in the world to fight.” – Damon Martin

8 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Ship all of the midgets to Asia. 135 and larger, plus you have to be 5'6 and up. No midgets.

Be shipping off Mendes with them lol?

16 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Be shipping off Mendes with them lol?

We would have a punching power exemption for him and Lineker.

• Like 3

On 10/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, skillandpower said:

It seems to me that fly division are, basically, dudes who ducked 135ers, sorry if Im being ignorant.

Close this chit up. Everyone needs to move up to 135

185ers are just guys that ducked 205ers and 205ers are just guys ducking Brock Lesnar

• Like 2

I say absolutely close it. But the issue is they will need to open more divisions if they close this one, that is a LOT of fighters to move from 125 to 135 which will have a knock on effect on divisions above. 165 Has got to be a reality

I would actually be quite interested to see how that worked for the fighters still on the roster.

I know UFC has great lawyers but im guessing they would have to release all of those guys if they close the 125 division because they cant force guys up in weight can they?

Like I could understand if say they tried the 165 division and were now taking it out. Nobody originally started at that weight, it was a new weight class totally. Where as some guys at 125 maybe had no option before it was introduced as there's nothing lower for them and fighting at 135 would mean giving up a decent size advantage.

Edited by Jolldan

3 hours ago, Jolldan said:

I would actually be quite interested to see how that worked for the fighters still on the roster.

I know UFC has great lawyers but im guessing they would have to release all of those guys if they close the 125 division because they cant force guys up in weight can they?

Like I could understand if say they tried the 165 division and were now taking it out. Nobody originally started at that weight, it was a new weight class totally. Where as some guys at 125 maybe had no option before it was introduced as there's nothing lower for them and fighting at 135 would mean giving up a decent size advantage.

A lot of the 125ers were fighting at 135 at some point, no ? Why couldnt they go back ?

I agree with you on the 165 because nobody was there before.

Well I mean... I don't know. Are people interested in this?

I know this sucks but fact is I find it really hard to get interested in fights happening between guys who have the size I had when I was like 12-13 yrs old. Like come on... And I was freagin small and frail.

5 ft3.. I don't know a single man that's this small. Not one. I **** you not. I do not know a single man that is 5ft 3 or smaller. Granted I happen not to know any midget. But still.. (well actually there is one at my work, but he IS a midget).

For some odd reason though, I find it more interesting to watch women of similar weight fight than watching the men's flyweight division. Guess that's because a 125 lbs athletic woman is much more competitive compared to every women. Like they don't represent some low end of the population's distribution. Which means that they legit represent the top of the competition among women in the world. Men's flyweights represent such a small subset of men's population, let alone athletes in full contact sports, that I find anything that goes on there to be completely meaningless.

Edited by Furiousmat

20 hours ago, skillandpower said:

A lot of the 125ers were fighting at 135 at some point, no ? Why couldnt they go back ?

I agree with you on the 165 because nobody was there before.

Yeah guy's who fought for the 135 and moved down might not have a case but guys who signed on just for 125 will i'd imagine.

• Like 1