Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Stephen Thompson eyes Darren Till rematch

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/5/27/18641870/ufc-stephen-thompson-eyes-darren-till-rematch-both-got-caught-previous-fights-mma

usa_today_10863457.0.jpg

After coming up short to Darren Till at UFC ‘Liverpool’ a year ago, Stephen Thompson is eyeing a do-over against “The Gorilla.” That’s because you still won’t convince “Wonderboy” that he didn’t do enough to earn the judges nod that night in England.

And since Till is coming off a knockout loss to Jorge Masvidal, and Stephen is trying to bounce back after getting flatted by Anthony Pettis, “Wonderboy” says now is as good a time as any to book the rematch.

Speaking of getting caught, Thompson says that is exactly what happened to him and Till in their last respective bouts, since they were clearly winning the fight.

“He got caught just like I got caught,” said Thompson during a recent interview with MMA Fighting “I was beating Anthony Pettis. I know nine times out of 10 I would have defeated him. It’s just that one time you barely get clipped and down you go. I had Darren Till winning that fight, but in the end Masvidal ended up putting it on him. Then again, Masvidal is a veteran of the game, so you’ve got to be ready at all times, just like Anthony Pettis was.”

Stephen says you have to look no further than when Michael Bisping shocked the world at UFC 199 after he clipped then-Middleweight champion Luke Rockhold with a solid strike to the chin to earn him his first-ever UFC world title.

“You gotta be ready in this game,” he added. “Like when Michael Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold. I thought…everybody thought that Luke Rockhold would go out there and just smoke him and then Luke Rockhold got clipped.”

For Stephen, it’s either knock someone out or get knocked out, as he says relying on the judges to bail you out when you’ve clearly won the fight simply isn’t a wise idea.

“When I look back on it I do think I won it, but it’s nothing that really sits on me. Whatever happened happened and all I can do is just keep moving forward,” he added. “I really do think I went out there and put on a show, enough to get that win, but it just goes to show that you can’t leave it in the judges’ hands sometimes. It’s behind me and I’m ready to move forward, just like I am with this fight against Anthony [Pettis],” he concluded.

Do you want to see the rematch?

How do you think a Wonderboy vs. Till rematch goes?

Edited by Jolldan

Who in their right mind would want to see this boring azz fight again ?, 5 rounds of shadow boxing the last time was enough for me...fuuk that

Screenshot-2019-05-28-ufc-till-vs-thomps

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bwana said:

Who in their right mind would want to see this boring azz fight again ?, 5 rounds of shadow boxing the last time was enough for me...fuuk that

Screenshot-2019-05-28-ufc-till-vs-thomps

I understand why Thompson wants it back

But tend to agree I really hope they don't make this fight again, plenty other interesting fights for either guy.

• Like 1

Just look at the TOTAL strikes landed by both fighters in a 5 round fight.....no thanks

1 hour ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

Makes sense for Wonderboy. I'm sure he wants to get the Win back.. 

With the Rise of the WW division, I find it hard to place Wonderboy... He should just make as much money as he can now, cause I think he's gonna get left behind 

Can we get an update in the Conor thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It would be a pointless rematch!

There are 100 options for both guys next fight.

Woodley vs Lawler II and now this ? Silly rematches nobody is interested about

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 5:58 PM, cashfl0w said:

Wonderbread already beat him. We don't need to see that again.

except that image shows he got outstruck and also dropped.

19 minutes ago, PunchBag said:

except that image shows he got outstruck and also dropped.

He knocked down Masvidal too. Turns out, that's not how you win the fight. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

He knocked down Masvidal too. Turns out, that's not how you win the fight. 

lol at comparing masvidal and thompson's performance against till.

He never came up short,he has a VERY small arsenal to fight with and has not properly evolved to be a title holder.his best chance was early on before people figured him out,now he has no secrets left.

Karate guys tend to fight backing up and NOT engaging properly,His lack of ground game pretty much eliminates any chance he has of staying in the pocket for fear of take downs.So he tries to fight well outside and hope and pray he can connect a leg kick.IMO he should have learned to mix up low leg kicks,aim for the knee joints or even sweep kicks to keep opponents off balance.

Right now fighters know they can go inside and fear nothing from Thompson,he doesn't even have knowledge of elbows or uppercuts,he is a very limited fighter.Till on the other side is simply a big guy,size matters in the UFC since half the battle is weight cutting and putting it back on,actual skills are a small factor,toughness,speed,power matter more.