Jolldan

Should Weidman Retire?

Should Weidman Retire?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Weidman Retire?

• Yes
    • No (It was only his first outing at Lightheavyweight)
    • No (He should return to Middleweight)
    • No (But He Needs To Leave The UFC)

Image result for chris weidman

Should Chris Weidman Retire? 

It's a perfectly acceptable question to be asking given Weidman's current run. This latest loss marks the fifth time he has been stopped by KO/TKO in his past six fights.

Ever since losing the Middleweight title to Luke Rockhold his career trajectory has pretty much went off a cliff. Both have had similar declines in recent years and its become common for them to be compared to each other but Weidman's decline has been even more prevalent that Luke's. After tasting defeat in the UFC Rockhold managed to rebound and actually win the title whereas Weidman has only managed to pick up one win since losing his belt 4 years ago. So do you think he should he retire?

Yes 

A multitude of injuries that include (right shoulder injury, left knee surgery, right knee surgery, broken hand, cervical disc herniation, neck injury) 5 dramatic KO/TKO losses and just the general march of father time have left Weidman a shell of the fighter he was when he first entered the UFC and he should retire now before absorbing too much damage. 

No (It Was His First Fight At Lightheavyweight)

This was Chris's first outing as a Lightheavyweight ever, now granted it didn't go very well but you could easily make the argument that he's only lost at LHW to the number one contender in the division in Reyes. Honestly this is a fight I never expected him to win in the first place so give him someone like Glover, Latifi or Shogun next who are all more middle or end of the pack and if he can't beat them then maybe he should retire.

No (He Should Go Back To Middleweight)

Chris was never a guy I thought looked like he was cutting a tremendous amount of weight to make 185lbs, so frankly the move up to 205lbs always did seem a curious and somewhat desperate attempt to reinvigorate his career. Now do I believe Chris can be Middleweight champion again no, but I do believe he can still have success at Middleweight and potentially even get some of those losses back against the likes of Souza and there are plenty of new matchups like Hermansson, Cannonier, Shabayzan and Heinisch. 

No (But He Needs To Leave The UFC)

Chris can continue to have success but to do so he needs to ask for his release from the UFC, Chris is in that bracket of guys who are never really gonna be fighting nobodies, he's pretty much always gonna be getting matched up against top 5/10 level competition in the UFC and I don't think he's got what it takes anymore to hang with those guys anymore. A move to Bellator, The PFL or ONEFC would be more favorable to him as the talent pools just aren't as deep in other promotions. 

Which option do you think is right for Weidman?

• Thanks 1

I don't care either way really. The sad part is how he thinks he's relevant. He feels if he wins one fight, MW or LHW, he should be next for the championship. The guy has scrambled eggs for brains.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stehilton94 said:

1 win since 2015, knocked into oblivion 5 times since

He is 1 TMZ Video, being knocked out in the street, from being BJ Penn levels of "should retire"

You mean like 10 TMZ videos, getting slumped by a fat bum at a bar, and beating up his wife from being BJ Penn levels of "should retire"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

You mean like 10 TMZ videos, getting slumped by a fat bum at a bar, and beating up his wife from being BJ Penn levels of "should retire"?

To be fair, BJ Penn was already at BJ Penn levels of "should retire" before any of that.

• Like 3

keep in mind, he has created a life-style on Long Island (Nassau County) .. for his wife and kids which he cannot sustain without

the big UFC paychecks,  -  financially, he has to take what the UFC gives him at mw or lhw - give him Brunson or Hall at mw,

at lhw  OSP or Tyson Pedro at lhw -

• Like 4

Its up to him, its his brain. Once he sounds like rocky balboa they wont let him fight anymore & he wont have a choice.

he could keep fighting but has to abandon all thought of challenging the top guys in whichever division he decides to stay in. The issue here though is Weidman likely needs a certain level of paycheck that might be higher than his worth to the UFC. He could probably make more in Bellator.

Edited by PunchBag

PS WTG has ghosted since the loss and conveniently avoided the username/av bet he lost. Since I switched the Wi-Fi back on at the cottage he really has no excuse to avoid it. I'm not saying he's a welch...  But if I hear hooves I'm not thinking of unicorns

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

PS WTG has ghosted since the loss and conveniently avoided the username/av bet he lost. Since I switched the Wi-Fi back on at the cottage he really has no excuse to avoid it. I'm not saying he's a welch...  But if I hear hooves I'm not thinking of unicorns

He was already on the welchers list of shame...never do bets with confirmed welchers.

52 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

really?   you didnt think weidman_the_dishonourable was going to welch?  what ever would have made you think that?   hell by now he's probably even went all the way back and edited his original post to change his pick to the winner again.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Haha 1

Yes he should retire. 

All the talent and ability in the world but his chin is pretty much shot at this point. Worst loss of his career and it's not even close.

Had a feeling before but its pretty much confirmed now that the dreaded spinning back kick against Luke followed by 5 minutes of hellbows then the Romero deathshot took a number of years off his career and ended his time at the top. Quite a shame really, his career could have gone a lot differently otherwise. 

If he really wants to he could beat a couple lower ranked guys with minimal power for a couple last paychecks, but after that no need to keep fighting Chris. You have a beautiful family and great life to live ahead, make it count. Plenty of opportunities for work elsewhere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weidman_The_God said:

Yes he should retire. 

All the talent and ability in the world but his chin is pretty much shot at this point. Worst loss of his career and it's not even close.

Had a feeling before but its pretty much confirmed now that the dreaded spinning back kick against Luke followed by 5 minutes of hellbows then the Romero deathshot took a number of years off his career and ended his time at the top. Quite a shame really, his career could have gone a lot differently otherwise. 

If he really wants to he could beat a couple lower ranked guys with minimal power for a couple last paychecks, but after that no need to keep fighting Chris. You have a beautiful family and great life to live ahead, make it count. Plenty of opportunities for work elsewhere. 

LargeDiligentCockatiel-small.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Weidman is an ok fighter who happened to be at the right time when dudes who were the top of the MW division were going downhill. 

His classic "stop doubting me" had a reason for it. Ppl were doubting him because of the washed up guys he was beating. 

Im not even joking, Im not sure who can Weidman beat that is on the top 15 whether it is at MW or LHW

Edited by skillandpower
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

Weidman is an ok fighter who happened to be at the right time when dudes who were the top of the MW division were going downhill. 

His classic "stop doubting me" had a reason for it. Ppl were doubting him because of the washed up guys he was beating. 

Im not even joking, Im not sure who can Weidman beat that is on the top 15 whether it is at MW or LHW

Or WW

• Like 1

I think he would do alright in another promotion.

His move up to LHW was a difficult one in that they gave him a top 5 (and possible title contender) opponent right off the bat. As others have said, he's had one win in the past four years and was KO'd four out of five times. His lone win over Gastelum during that stretch actually saw him get dropped at the end of the first. He likely would've been finished but he was saved by the bell. Were it not for those circumstances, he could be suffering five consecutive knockouts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skillandpower said:

15 hours ago, OzStraya said:

Or WW

Lol, two guys who claimed that he would never beat Anderson a second time are now making claims that everyone was washed up and now Weidman can't beat anyone. 

It's time to retire but he's never lost to anyone outside of the top 5 of a division and has recently tapped a top 5 Middleweight. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

Lol, two guys who claimed that he would never beat Anderson a second time are now making claims that everyone was washed up and now Weidman can't beat anyone. 

It's time to retire but he's never lost to anyone outside of the top 5 of a division and has recently tapped a top 5 Middleweight. 

Lol

That MW knocked him out too.  Also, the 2nd Anderson fight doesn't count.  He snapped his fking leg in half m8

18 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

Lol

That MW knocked him out too.  Also, the 2nd Anderson fight doesn't count.  He snapped his fking leg in half m8

He snapped his leg in half after he was knocked out, m8. 

UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-Sl

31 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

He snapped his leg in half after he was knocked out, m8. 

UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-Sl

Lol

1. Back of the head.  Cheating again

2. This is just Weidman winnIng until he loses but the leg got snapped instead 

3. Anderson was absolutely past his prime 

4. Quit tagging me in this **** it's NBA day I don't give a **** about CTEidman

Edited by OzStraya
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

No one ever tagged you. Shut your notifications off. 

You know what I mean d!ckface :)

PS Criedcan sucks

• Haha 1

Yes...

If he was just losing via submissions or decisions where he wasn't taking too much damage I would say he still has time to reinvent himself but as you point out, he's been ko'd 5 times in his last 6 fights. The chin is gone, and clearly at this point he's just piling on brain damage. He's nowhere near a title shot, the road for him to get to that point is so blurry you might as well say it doesn't exist.

And it's clear that he has persistent concussion damage. I mean how else would a guy go from having the run that he had to getting ko'd 5 times out of 6 fights. You look at his record and it's a classic case of a guy who didn't recover from a ko, whether physically or mentally. You don't go from all W to all L without something having broken along the way. The guy needs to get out of there before he starts drooling.

26 minutes ago, Furiousmat said:

Yes...

If he was just losing via submissions or decisions where he wasn't taking too much damage I would say he still has time to reinvent himself but as you point out, he's been ko'd 5 times in his last 6 fights. The chin is gone, and clearly at this point he's just piling on brain damage. He's nowhere near a title shot, the road for him to get to that point is so blurry you might as well say it doesn't exist.

And it's clear that he has persistent concussion damage. I mean how else would a guy go from having the run that he had to getting ko'd 5 times out of 6 fights. You look at his record and it's a classic case of a guy who didn't recover from a ko, whether physically or mentally. You don't go from all W to all L without something having broken along the way. The guy needs to get out of there before he starts drooling.

True also that KO punch was a off balance left cross going backwards... almost like a jab KO