Sign in to follow this  
Mcmax3000

ESPN Plus Raising Price of UFC Pay-Per-View Events Starting in 2020

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/espn-plus-raising-price-of-ufc-pay-per-view-events-starting-in-2020-1203447196/

Disney’s ESPN Plus will hike the price of UFC’s tentpole PPV events to $64.99 each, starting with UFC 246 on Jan. 18, 2020, featuring the Conor McGregor vs. Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone title welterweight bout live from Las Vegas. When ESPN Plus became the exclusive U.S. home to the mixed martial arts pay-per-view events in March 2019, it initially priced them at $59.99 apiece.

In a statement about the $5-per-event price hike, an ESPN rep said, “This price change represents a return to the price that UFC fans traditionally paid, prior to ESPN+ decreasing the PPV price for most of 2019.”

• Haha 1

outside of ordering some food at buffalo wild wings or attending the actual event, if youre paying any money to watch these cards youre doing it wrong.

and an extra $5 for what? its definately not going towards improving the quality of the cards. especially ever since the ESPN deal where the UFC doesnt even need to put on any worthwhile fight cards and they still make their money

you may as well just write your checks out to dana white and conor mcgregor. and when interest starts dwindling down from all the watered down cards with only one fight on it, all the fake titles being handed out and people start to tire from the conor mcgregor show, theyll hike the price up another 5 bucks next january and slide it in deeper on the suckers who actually do pay to order these cards.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, -idyb- said:

outside of ordering some food at buffalo wild wings or attending the actual event, if youre paying any money to watch these cards youre doing it wrong.

and an extra $5 for what? its definately not going towards improving the quality of the cards. especially ever since the ESPN deal where the UFC doesnt even need to put on any worthwhile fight cards and they still make their money

you may as well just write your checks out to dana white and conor mcgregor. and when interest starts dwindling down from all the watered down cards with only one fight on it, all the fake titles being handed out and people start to tire from the conor mcgregor show, theyll hike the price up another 5 bucks next january and slide it in deeper on the suckers who actually do pay to order these cards.

You must not have alot of friends. I get it, 95% of the fan base spends Saturday nights huddled around there computer screens making snarky comments to themselves. 

If its a decent card or Im drunk im buying the PPV. 60.00 isnt alot of money and theyve been zapping streams since Schlob opened his fat mouth. Not worth the risk if you have people coming over

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, -idyb- said:

You've gone full wickles. Never go full wickles. 

2 hours ago, Rumbin said:

You must not have alot of friends. I get it, 95% of the fan base spends Saturday nights huddled around there computer screens making snarky comments to themselves. 

If its a decent card or Im drunk im buying the PPV. 60.00 isnt alot of money and theyve been zapping streams since Schlob opened his fat mouth. Not worth the risk if you have people coming over

ive watched every single UFC ppv and almost every single mma event in one way or another for quite some time now.  whether it be working at a bar for 5 years that carried every boxing or mma event, streaming it, torrenting it grabbing it off limewire,, or watching it off or with somebody else on a sunday after they downloaded it onto their laptop or usb stick. since the griffin and bonnar fight  ive seen pretty much every ufc, wec, bellator and strikeforce event there was to see in one way or another. in 13 years, outside of buying drinks, drugs or food to go along with it,  guess how much i've spent just to watch this chit on a screen? zilch.  if you want to get technical about it, for a long time i was getting paid just to stand there and watch it. 

forgive me for having a giggle at the concept of paying $65 to watch one fight on a screen. its even sillier now that they want people to pay extra for a monthly subscription on top of that, just to be allowed the privilege of being able to order that pay per view containing only one fight on it.   aside from ufc 240,  this is all crap. doesnt matter how many people you split the cost with, youre still getting jewed around.  

and even these ESPN+ cards. no thanks i aint setting my alarm clock for 2 in the morning this saturday  just to watch another card with only one fight on it, just so i wont feel like i'm paying for nothing.   this is the kind of chit that spike tv wouldnt even bother to air back in the day on basic cable tv 

i dont care what 195% of the fan base does. i'll watch that chit on my own time under my own means.  but hey maybe if the conor fight,  oops i mean maybe if UFC 246 doesnt hit it out of the park, theyll knock the ESPN+ subscription up another 5 bucks on top of the PPV ordering fee.  why not right?  theyll find some kind of crazy excuse to nickel and dime you like they always do

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bezerker101 said:

if you got a rooftop antenna here (SE Asia), the main-card is watchable - 59.95 lol =

when your cards are so bad that the Filipino's won't even pay a dollar for them.

maybe they oughtta spicen it up with some CM Punk and Brock Lesnar, and some more womens strawweight fights. and then spend 15 minutes of the event promoting conor mcgregor.  if all else fails, create another title and have The Rock bring it out.  

Edited by -idyb-

2 hours ago, Dark_Horse said:

You've gone full wickles. Never go full wickles. 

He was being an idiot long before Wickles showed up. 

3 hours ago, Rumbin said:

You must not have alot of friends. 

He posts more characters to this forum than everyone else combined........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, -idyb- said:

when your cards are so bad that the Filipino's won't even pay a dollar for them.

this ^ is true, no one watches ufc here - not even expats

• Like 1

One more reason why I always go to a sports bar or some venue in town to watch the ppv cards if they are good.

Im pretty sure aint watching UFC 246. Not gonna spend a dime to watch Conor in a gimmick fight to get a title shot.

• Like 4

Yep, theres some semi decent rights on the card. Yep, I want to see Cowboy slump McNuggets.

But nope, @-idyb- has it right. " We don' need to buy no steenkeeng ppv. ", and our regional chain sports bar does just fine down here.  Just my .02. 

• Like 2

They're banking on Mcgagger/Cowboy to sell the card. Mcgaggers casual fans died off except for vert so all that's left are his 3 loyal ones. 

I think the card will tank. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if it wasnt for this mcnuggets fight, this next ppv would be a disgrace to fight pass.  i'd be more inclined to set my alarm for 2 in the morning to watch this weekends crap

i would laugh hard of cowboy wins, but harder if the fight gets called off at the last minute due to "undisclosed reasons"   watch as they scramble to create an interim title or another fake belt for anthony pettis to fight for and hope people buy into that chit.

back in the day even the free cards on spike tv were stacked and worth getting excited for. even if one fight fell through you'd still have a card full of bangers. these days a card is one cancellation away from being gutter trash, and is considered stacked if theres 2 big fights on it that people want to watch and none of those fighters get USADA'd or pull out at the last minute due to undisclosed injuries. 

they dont even try to justify the price hike at this point because screw the fans theyll pay anything to watch conor mcgregor right? it doesnt even matter what kind of card they put together after the espn deal cause theyre still getting their bread anyways. its all quantity over quality at this point

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only way to make this work is if they eliminated the ESPN+ paywall AND put out a better product.  Two things I don't see them doing because it doesn't appear they give a chit about either of those two things.

ESPN+, while I am not a subscriber, doesn't seem to be all that useful but I would be willing to listen to any subscriber that loves it. I don't care to watch an out of market NHL game or NBA game. I don't care about cricket or whatever other sports they broadcast. It isn't an ESPN replacement or cable cutting tool and the ego of Baldie clearly thought people gave a lot more chit about the UFC to pay for a subscription for the opportunity to buy a PPV when the product has been 90% trash for over a year now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bohemoglu13 said:

The only way to make this work is if they eliminated the ESPN+ paywall AND put out a better product.  Two things I don't see them doing because it doesn't appear they give a chit about either of those two things.

ESPN+, while I am not a subscriber, doesn't seem to be all that useful but I would be willing to listen to any subscriber that loves it. I don't care to watch an out of market NHL game or NBA game. I don't care about cricket or whatever other sports they broadcast. It isn't an ESPN replacement or cable cutting tool and the ego of Baldie clearly thought people gave a lot more chit about the UFC to pay for a subscription for the opportunity to buy a PPV when the product has been 90% trash for over a year now.

I used to buy almost every card before this chit. I'd say I bought maybe 85-90% of the cards. Since ESPN+ I haven't even touched them and just do it dirty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I used to buy almost every card before this chit. I'd say I bought maybe 85-90% of the cards. Since ESPN+ I haven't even touched them and just do it dirty. 

ive been doing them dirty since the days of frostwire and limewire. no shame in my game

last spring i got a nasty copyright letter in my email my ISP forwarded to me from Viacom. threatening a lawsuit over illegal distribution after some ip troll caught me torrenting Bellator 220 and i guess i must have been uploading a bit of it over bittorrent as well and thats what they wanted to go after me for. ever since the nasty email i got  i stopped being so blatantly obvious and i VPN''d up with the killswitches engaged.  nothing ever became of that, but it had me paranoid for a good while.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

we were the same way, it was our monthly reason to see all our friends. have a big party for the 4th of July and Xmas cards. now we all do em dirty or go to a local watering hole when the cards are half decent. I get there's a 4billion dollar hole but they're digging it deeper IMO. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bohemoglu13 said:

If a company offers you $700 million to put your PPVs behind a paywall, you would do it too. No they won't sell as many PPVs, for the next 5 years they are coming out ahead. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

If a company offers you $700 million to put your PPVs behind a paywall, you would do it too. No they won't sell as many PPVs, for the next 5 years they are coming out ahead. 

so with the espn and reebok deals, theyre still not able to put more than one fight on next months card.   i guess the ufc really is writing all their checks out to conor mcgregor.  i hope that he'll at least be able to afford a new comfy couch to sit on for another year after the cowboy fight

perhaps they need to find better sponsors. bring back condom depot and the gun store.   and ditch reebok for julio's thongs for men. or training mask. and have everyone coming out rocking the dennis hallman "shorts" in every fight or media appearance.

if thats what it takes to get more than one fight on a pay per view. i'm all for it.

Edited by -idyb-

This retard above me posts more characters on this forum than everyone else combined, and he's still not privy to the fact that they have never ever stacked a Conor card. It has always been Conor and some randoms. 

15 hours ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

They're banking on Mcgagger/Cowboy to sell the card. Mcgaggers casual fans died off except for vert so all that's left are his 3 loyal ones. 

I think the card will tank. 

I'm willing to bet the Conor card does more PPVs than all of 2019 combined. What shall we bet?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

But seriously @cashfl0w how the fook would we even know what any if the cards does anymore? They don't post them anymore do they? 

For all we know it could do 3 million or 3. 

I realized that as I was posting it. lol

The fact that they don't tell us what they're selling anymore is a pretty clear indication that they've tanked. They just had three titles on one card and I bet that chit did 250K buys.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, juice64011 said:

I am not trashing the UFC for doing the deal, in another post I mentioned that I get there's a 4billion dollar hole to get out of plus ESPN is the tip top of sports. So you're correct, I'd do the deal too.

However, it doesn't mean the cards are worth the money. 

10 hours ago, the_vagenius said:

Nobody has paid for events since the ESPN merger, I was anti stram until I paid for the first 2 ppv on espn and realized the strams had better quality, good job espn lol

normally i would just wait a few hours and torrent that chit, but then i notice for this next card that sabina mazo is fighting, and 40% of the main card is womens mma,. so i'll definately be throwing money at my screen for this one.

this pay per view is right up there with some of those can pass cards where over half the fighters are too awesome to have a wiki page.

Edited by -idyb-

Putting two womens fights on the PPV with Conor was a pretty bold move. There are two or three better fights on the prelims, and they seem determined to deliver a mediocre PPV card instead.

It's like they're testing Conor's drawability now.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

It's like they're testing Conor's drawability now.

Exactly my same thoughts when I look at this card on paper.

After seeing this, I refuse to ever watch MMA again....classic