Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Classic Boxer's 2020 Fitness and Training Goals

1 hour ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

What are you going to do with it?

Swing it around and look like an idiot. Probably dislocate my shoulder, and really screw up my elbow up.

What weight would you suggest?

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jolldan said:

Just going to try and do the basic exercises like swings, squats, Turkish getups not too good with all the names, was thinking it would be good for doing at home. 

I'd start with a 16kg and nail your technique on all that stuff. That's quite light for some of those exercises but you can slow them all down or do modifications. 

Turkish get ups are a bit gimmicky imo btw...this is probably the best yt tutorial around though. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, Jolldan said:

How heavy a kettle bell do you reckon I get to start off with? Not something I have really done before so want something challenging but still doable. 

I only use a 20 LB. one but i just do a lot of reps along with other stuff like calisthenics, bands, physio ball & dumbbells in a circuit routine. Only exercises i do with kettles is swings and get-ups. I don't like the other exercises. I do it for muscular endurance and i like that it's easy to do, it's full body since it's a compound movement with the inertia it feels like it frees you up a bit instead of more isolated kinds of exercises. 

I don't like ballistic sort of stuff with heavy weights though so it's better to go a lot lighter. I think it's bad for your joints especially if you're a little older, not super duper strong & or your form isn't perfect. 

If i was gonna do more ballistic stuff i'd recommend pool exercises or a medicine ball because gravity is lessened and it's not pulling/shearing force on your joints. 

I definitely would recommend going much lighter till you get the hang of it & always making sure you're properly warmed up and cutting your reps short to rest when you start reaching fatigue and your form starts to suck a bit. Kettle bells are excellent for all around dynamic strength & full body coordination but i wouldn't play with fire trying to go full savage. 

• Like 1

About Turkish get-ups maybe they are a little gimmickish being that it's sort of a unique movement but i find them pretty good for learning how to stabilize the weight with your shoulder alignment but even more so they're excellent for keeping your spine in alignment as you get up and promoting core strength to get up. 

The mechanics of the movement are very similar to what we in the jitz community call a "technical stand-up" & if you do it correctly i think it's a very effective exercise for learning how to stay in alignment & stabilize your shoulder and spine as one unit in ways that few other exercises can.  Maybe it doesn't translate super well to every day natural all around functional movements like squats or dead lifts but i do think it can help with focus and concentrate on stabilizers that you're not that aware you use as often as you do. 

That said stabilizers in particular weaker muscle groups tend to be a weak link & that particular movement it's a difficult unconventional enough movement that i wouldn't push it with heavier weight nor do it when you're reaching fatigue unless you wanna jack your shoulder or risk hernia lol. 

So in conclusion i think they're decent as more like a supplemental something different than standard but i wouldn't classify them as pec deck fly or ab machine useless lol. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 1:04 AM, Megasoup said:

Bubba Sparks - Choose a lift; barbell squat, deadlift or bench press.  I want you to beat your personal best in one of these lifts.  I know you're a runner, which is why I chose this goal for you.  Also, I want you to beat a personal best in one of your shorter distance races, whichever one you choose.

As per my response, I'm going for all three.  For deadlifts, I decided to try and beat my 2RM because there are just too many ways to deadlift with shoddy form just to get the weight up.  This week I did a new 2RM PR of ~ 290lb (please remember I'm an old, skinny ultramarathoner before anyone sneers).  Also did a 1RM bench press PR today; had been stuck at 155 and improved to 165.

So about what @Eclipse76 bicep curls, but hey.  A PR is a PR.  Will try and nail the squat soon.  I like this new format Soup, good stuff.

• Like 2

Got up @ 4 am Jocko style, got all my work done, hit the track for threef miles that nearly killed me lol & parked my truck perfectly so i didn't even have to use my AK.  

Finna hit the shower, cook, eat & get caught up on stuff i need to do around the house & maybe listen to a podcast. 

Today was a good day & helluva way to start my week.  

Edited by StompGrind

Broke the 20 mins for 5k last Sunday.

19:54 :)

No progress on the pullups, other than having spent a couple of hours googling which bar to buy :D

• Like 3

On 1/23/2020 at 3:44 PM, StompGrind said:

I only use a 20 LB. one but i just do a lot of reps along with other stuff like calisthenics, bands, physio ball & dumbbells in a circuit routine. Only exercises i do with kettles is swings and get-ups. I don't like the other exercises. I do it for muscular endurance and i like that it's easy to do, it's full body since it's a compound movement with the inertia it feels like it frees you up a bit instead of more isolated kinds of exercises. 

I don't like ballistic sort of stuff with heavy weights though so it's better to go a lot lighter. I think it's bad for your joints especially if you're a little older, not super duper strong & or your form isn't perfect. 

If i was gonna do more ballistic stuff i'd recommend pool exercises or a medicine ball because gravity is lessened and it's not pulling/shearing force on your joints. 

I definitely would recommend going much lighter till you get the hang of it & always making sure you're properly warmed up and cutting your reps short to rest when you start reaching fatigue and your form starts to suck a bit. Kettle bells are excellent for all around dynamic strength & full body coordination but i wouldn't play with fire trying to go full savage. 

@Megasoup

Can we get your take on kettle bells?

• Haha 1

Hafthor Bjornsson, aka The Mountain, Just Won the Arnold Strongman Classic 2020

• Like 1

I"m coming back, and I'll be as good as I ever was.  In some ways maybe not as good (maybe,) but in other ways I'll be better than ever.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MauroPedrosa said:

Welcome back, champ 

Thanx 🤣

How did u know i'm back though? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

How's the table tennis going mate?

I've been wasting a lot of brain cells on Call of Duty Warzone. I need to get back to footy and table tennis

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MauroPedrosa said:

I've been wasting a lot of brain cells on Call of Duty Warzone. I need to get back to footy and table tennis

The Boys in the footy thread need another vid mate. 

Will keep us going until premier league comes back. 

• Haha 1

Starting to get a little sore now. Been running again regularly doing some boxing & lifting again. Hit the track hard today so i'm finna take tomorrow off & maybe have a light day after that b4 i burn out or pull something. Feeling pretty good though because i haven't been doing much since April & b4 that i had pretty much stopped working out regularly. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

Just finishing an 11 week "strength specificity" phase of training.  I'm following @Megasoup's challenge, and have nailed a bench press PR, a strict press PR and a Back squat PR this week.

Tomorrow I'll try and nail a front squat and Deadlift PR.  It's been fun doing this, but the training is very repetitive tbh.  Will do a 4 week block of more power endurance kind of stuff before going on vacation, plus start running a lot more.  Did a nice 21 miler last week.  Sweden has gone from absolutely sucking to being really nice for running.  low 70s, light until almost midnight, and the trails are dry as a bone.  The lakes are also warm enough to swim in so I'm doing a fair bit of that at the moment.  Fun times.

• Like 2