VertFTW

Corona Virus Thread

5 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve said:

Can you do me a favour and give over with the Swedish updates

Just let us know when Sweden is dead. It’ll clap on my doorstep 

3 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

They're weekly, by popular demand.  But given your feedback, I'll try and make them daily.

alright i need my daily sweden update

Edited by -idyb-

16 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve said:

Can you do me a favour and give over with the Swedish updates

Just let us know when Sweden is dead. It’ll clap on my doorstep 

Why would the ghost of Sweden clap on your doorstep?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

You've missed my point, Sir Genki,

I'm not talking up Sweden, I'm talking down modelling.  The models said that if Sweden did nothing, 30,000 would be dead by now.  Sweden did nothing, and "only" 3,500 are dead.  My conclusion is not that Sweden did the right thing, or the wrong thing, rather that the initial model was completely and utterly wrong.  It's the same model that caused panic in the UK when they predicted half a million would die by the summer.

FWIW, I'm on the fence about Sweden's approach.  I've spent most of this thread slagging it off (I'm almost starting to think you're not subscribing to my weekly Sweden corona update); they have kind of sacrificed the old to keep things running.  However, until this thing has run its course, it is difficult to know which approach works best.  Sweden's inactivity has likely led to a much higher degree of infection in the country, and consequently there is probably more resistance in the population than anywhere else.  

Glad things are going well down under though.

Im glad you are safe too...

you cannot call the modelling bad if you change the parameters though... The 3 day doubling, exponential growth, has been proven across the globe to only be curtailed by ammending possible means for infection (ie.lack of international travel). The difference between 30,000 and 3,500 as far as an exponential growth curve isnt more the a few percent (less than 10% out) considering the duration of the epedemic, then factor in the ability of medical services to deal with the lower patient flow thus reducing fatalities.

A small percentage drop in infection rate has an amazing relation to hospitalisation rate, and then the ability for successful treatment.

The hot tip from me, my partner being involved with teaching disabled children, is that if she records a positive infection she is removed from duty indefinitely as the data supposedly suggests that a negative result doesnt indicate immunity nor the ability to still transmit. My work isnt telling me the same, though high risk sectors are getting better information. Says alot for those backing herd immunity and why Italys motion to add it to passports hasnt made it through internationally.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Genki said:

Im glad you are safe too...

you cannot call the modelling bad if you change the parameters though... The 3 day doubling, exponential growth, has been proven across the globe to only be curtailed by ammending possible means for infection (ie.lack of international travel). The difference between 30,000 and 3,500 as far as an exponential growth curve isnt more the a few percent (less than 10% out) considering the duration of the epedemic, then factor in the ability of medical services to deal with the lower patient flow thus reducing fatalities.

A small percentage drop in infection rate has an amazing relation to hospitalisation rate, and then the ability for successful treatment.

The hot tip from me, my partner being involved with teaching disabled children, is that if she records a positive infection she is removed from duty indefinitely as the data supposedly suggests that a negative result doesnt indicate immunity nor the ability to still transmit. My work isnt telling me the same, though high risk sectors are getting better information. Says alot for those backing herd immunity and why Italys motion to add it to passports hasnt made it through internationally.

Indeed; I'm not talking about the standard "doubling in 3 days" thing.  I'm talking about the various models that government based their decisions on.  This is an interesting read.  Even the "high" mitigation projections were grossly pessimistic.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/can-we-trust-covid-modelling-more-evidence-from-sweden?fbclid=IwAR025xm1TMCQJQRRzRytNjXmX9NtrgMH0aPqU16hY_1Jz7v-TcGNwpwliRQ

There are so many unknowns that my main conclusion is i have a lot of sympathy with any world leader trying to work out what's the best thing to do.  It's certainly way too early to assume that you can't re-transmit, so I think a vaccine or a decent treatment is more likely to usher in normality than herd immunity.  We shall see.

5 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Seems like only a few pages ago you were posting the number of cases/deaths doubling every 3 days if nothing was done.  How time flies! Do you think that risk has now passed though?

I think we're in the next phase of this thing now.  The European countries that were hit hard and early (France, Italy, Spain) are starting to open stuff up.  I think the world will be watching to see how that pans out.  It's a difficult balancing act for governments tbh.  They're on a hiding to nothing; there's clearly a number of extra deaths that are okay if it means the economy gets going again, and there is clearly a number that is not okay.  Can you imagine the furore if any politician actually comes out and says that though?

One thing that we do pretty much know for sure is that all the early modelling was wrong.  By the initial models of what would happen if no lockdown is put in place, there should be 30,000 dead Swedes by now; instead there are 3500.  It's tough to make up policy on the fly when there are no accurate models to rely on because we've never seen this stuff before.  I'm pretty sure that the horror stories of Italy getting "overwhelmed" in the first couple of weeks has dictated policy for most of the world, even though there are so many reasons why what happened there would not happen anywhere else.

I never advocated for over doing shutting things down till we get a vaccine but doing barely nothing or over reaction isn't a sensible approach & it's tricky to balance because of various factors. 

The risk hasn't passed i don't think & we still don't know an awful lot about this virus but we do know it's not quite as bad as first thought. 

Was listening to Rhonda Patrick earlier on JRE. She had an interesting take on genes & Vitamin D deficiency as a possible link of weakened immune systems being at bigger risk for respiratory illness & Covid doing a number on people. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StompGrind said:

I never advocated for over doing shutting things down till we get a vaccine but doing barely nothing or over reaction isn't a sensible approach & it's tricky to balance because of various factors. 

The risk hasn't passed i don't think & we still don't know an awful lot about this virus but we do know it's not quite as bad as first thought. 

Was listening to Rhonda Patrick earlier on JRE. She had an interesting take on genes & Vitamin D deficiency as a possible link of weakened immune systems being at bigger risk for respiratory illness & Covid doing a number on people. 

Yeah, i agree with pretty much all of that.

I didn't hear the Rhonda Patrick thing, but i read some of the numbers on Joe's instagram.  Wasn't sure how big the sample size, but it sounded like a very clear statistical link.  The more of this stuff we understand, the better quite frankly.  Wonder if it will kick start people being generally more aware of the importance of healthy living.  That wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Yeah, i agree with pretty much all of that.

I didn't hear the Rhonda Patrick thing, but i read some of the numbers on Joe's instagram.  Wasn't sure how big the sample size, but it sounded like a very clear statistical link.  The more of this stuff we understand, the better quite frankly.  Wonder if it will kick start people being generally more aware of the importance of healthy living.  That wouldn't be a bad thing.

If we are trying to take positives hopefully all the grotty c-unts that don't wash their hands might start doing that lol.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ozpride said:

Where tf are you and why can't you go home?  Just hire a car and drive m8

Two provinces over. 19 Hour drive. Then if I entered either province I would be under a quarantine  Then because my wife works with the RCMP and I am coming from where I am, she would need to quarantine. So hands are tied to an extent. If the orders stay as they are much longer, which it looks like through the reopening they wont, then we I will just take a month off, go home and meet all the stupidity still in place.

But as it stands, I will probably head home in a few weeks.

3 hours ago, MoZZez said:

Two provinces over. 19 Hour drive. Then if I entered either province I would be under a quarantine  Then because my wife works with the RCMP and I am coming from where I am, she would need to quarantine. So hands are tied to an extent. If the orders stay as they are much longer, which it looks like through the reopening they wont, then we I will just take a month off, go home and meet all the stupidity still in place.

But as it stands, I will probably head home in a few weeks.

WTF lol are you in Australia? I feel what I picture of your whole life is a lie.  All I hear are excuses. 😉

Edited by Ozpride
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ozpride said:

WTF lol are you in Australia? I feel what I picture of your whole life is a lie.  All I hear are excuses. 😉

1800km doesnt even get me to the 4th province.

But all good. I'm contracted out here for the next few years, wife is waiting to come over till her oldest finishes first year University,  which is next year. So until then, it's just flights back and forth. 250$ ever couple weeks before, and will start up again sooner or later.

If it goes on much longer we were just going to Drive to Edmonton, meet near the middle and lie our asses off for where we were.

Edited by MoZZez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MoZZez said:

But all good. I'm contracted out here for the next few years, wife is waiting to come over till her oldest finishes first year University,  which is next year. So until then, it's just flights back and forth. 250$ ever couple weeks before, and will start up again sooner or later.

If it goes on much longer we were just going to Drive to Edmonton, meet near the middle and lie our asses off for where we were.

Do me a favor and throw a molotov into idyb's trailer when you pass through his province. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OmoGOAT said:

Do me a favor and throw a molotov into idyb's trailer when you pass through his province. 

If he has a trailer out here, he probably is a millionaire. The way he drinks, probably has a few mortgages out on it.

im **** drunk get my name out of this ****

i guess homoGOAT still dont know we from the same p4p province. 

Edited by -idyb-
  • Confused 1

still havent got my daily sweden update either you guys are all a bunch of **** holes

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2020 at 1:51 PM, cashfl0w said:

I'm sitting on a restaurant's patio, drinking a brew, and waiting on my burger. God bless Wisconsin.

20200516_200122.thumb.jpg.f4b5fdc26703eeae38dfc462b0dc2d64.jpg

My own bar to get drunk and watch the fights. (They're on that TV.)

**** you scared ****.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, MoZZez said:

i plan on driving through lake louise, banff, and calgary on the way to regina for a bit of a vacation at the end of this summer and visit some family members if i'm able to book a week or two off

havent been out that way since i was a kid and i cant remember any of that chit so i've kinda been looking forward to making it happen.  living in one of the most beautiful places on the continent, i've never really been much for travelling. but even then its still nice to get away from my regular habitat every once in a little bit i guess. i think the nakusp hot springs were the farthest ive travelled in years, which is rather pathetic. i dont really go anywhere much. everything i want is right here for me anyways.

i'm definately not taking an airplane any time soon with all this corona chit going around, or i'd probably find somewhere far and tropical to go instead. one of these winters i guess maybe. i also wanted to go to shambhala this year and party my face off but the corona shut that down too. so somehow i think im gonna settle for some chithole in the middle of the god damn prairies. but im more in it for the drive, and theres some nice places to stop along the way.

Edited by -idyb-

Okay good, no more cameras, no more masks. That'll be ****lin Collins from CNN. 

Getting really sick of the English public seeming like they don't actually want to get the country going again lol. I think our government is doing a pretty poor job all things considered, but it doesn't help that EVERYTHING they do/say people are like 'HURRR DURR, CAN'T DO THAT', instead of actually coming up with some solutions about how we could make this work. I worry that any kick starting of the country will take twice as long as it should, because everyone seems to have entered a pissing contest about who is most in danger, and why they should go back to work last. 

I'm not saying that I think we should all say '**** it' and get right back to it, just saying that it's REALLY annoying that nobody even seems to WANT to get into communication about how we can actually make things happen. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Getting really sick of the English public seeming like they don't actually want to get the country going again lol. I think our government is doing a pretty poor job all things considered, but it doesn't help that EVERYTHING they do/say people are like 'HURRR DURR, CAN'T DO THAT', instead of actually coming up with some solutions about how we could make this work. I worry that any kick starting of the country will take twice as long as it should, because everyone seems to have entered a pissing contest about who is most in danger, and why they should go back to work last. 

I'm not saying that I think we should all say '**** it' and get right back to it, just saying that it's REALLY annoying that nobody even seems to WANT to get into communication about how we can actually make things happen. 

My dad was saying exactly the same thing on the weekend.

That's not a veiled dig by the way!  He reckons people are getting far too comfortable taking 80% pay for doing diddly squat, especially as the weather's been pretty nice lately.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

That's not a veiled dig by the way!  He reckons people are getting far too comfortable taking 80% pay for doing diddly squat, especially as the weather's been pretty nice lately.

Haha I don't mind if it's an old mans opinion ;). 

It's definitely the case mate. I think those that have received furlough or are on full pay are not quite getting the financial devastation that it's causing to a lot of people. The funny thing is, a lot of the SJWs on my Facebook feed who are the staunchest advocates of things staying in FULL lockdown until it's '100% safe' (like we are going to know what the means for a long time), don't understand that it's the very people they champion (the disadvantaged) that are being hit by this the most!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Don't feel bad i just had some cashier last night at a gas station who was talking about shutdown with an older gentlemen security guard that was in there for coffee say we should just close EVERYTHING down for two weeks & it'll all be over. 🤣

I wanted to tell him you'd need at least a month & some change minimum which wouldn't even be possible even if you enacted a total quarantine you couldn't enforce it but even if you could probably millions would die from starvation etc if no one could go anywhere for a month plus and on top of that the economy would be totally collapse for yrs & cause all kinds of chaos but something tells me this guy had no clue of any detail on how things actually work so i just payed for my gas & told him "Have a good one" then left. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

My girlfriend's sister's baby-daddy (I use that term deliberately because he's a turd) was making substantially more from unemployment than he was at his job. Why on God's green Earth would that idiot go back to working when he makes more sitting on his ****? He openly said that chit too. 

There are going to be lasting effects based on how long this thing gets dragged out. One of the major ones is the permanent losses to the job force. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Getting really sick of the English public seeming like they don't actually want to get the country going again lol. I think our government is doing a pretty poor job all things considered, but it doesn't help that EVERYTHING they do/say people are like 'HURRR DURR, CAN'T DO THAT', instead of actually coming up with some solutions about how we could make this work.

275906641920_n-jpg-_nc_cat-108-_nc_sid-1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

our good ole canadian health advisor

"light up those patio lanterns and have a virtual outdoor party - whatever way you decide to get your plank on this weekend "

now i speak canadian too, and thanks to the rapper xzibit, i'm aware that getting my walk on means drinking a hennessy fifth and calling it a gift. but i'm still not sure what getting my plank on is supposed to mean.  but reading between the lines, it appears as if she's suggesting that i light up and have an outdoor party.  hell yeah im gonna get planked this weekend.

Edited by -idyb-

3 minutes ago, -idyb- said:

our good ole canadian health advisor

"light up those patio lanterns and have a virtual outdoor party - whatever way you decide to get your plank on this weekend "

now i speak canadian too, and thanks to the rapper xzibit, i'm aware that getting my walk on means drinking a hennessy fifth and calling it a gift. but i'm still not sure what getting my plank on is supposed to mean.  but reading between the lines, it appears as if she's suggesting that i light up and have an outdoor party.  hell yeah im gonna get planked this weekend.

I thought "planked" was stiff, so she's obviously suggesting to her fellow Canadian's to light a lantern and get a hard-on (or stiffy).

Man, we have to spell everything out to you maple syrup drinkers.

• Haha 2

Just now, Bwana said:

I thought "planked" was stiff, so she's obviously suggesting to her fellow Canadian's to light a lantern and get a hard-on (or stiffy).

Man, we have to spell everything out to you maple syrup drinkers.

i think she might mean planking

fordparty2.jpg

hell yeah, now i know how i'm supposed to get my plank on this weekend.

• Like 1

Just listening to the fight companion just now my god Schaub sounds like such a **** every time he opens his mouth about it lol

14 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Just listening to the fight companion just now my god Schaub sounds like such a **** every time he opens his mouth about it lol

About what? 

Nevermind.....pretty much everything he says lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StompGrind said:

About what? 

Nevermind.....pretty much everything he says lol

I’m only like an hour in. 

My personal highlight so far has to be him trying to compare Covid deaths to the amount of people killed by rattlesnakes 😂 Joe loves his boy but even he shut down that ridiculousness quick lol. 

• Like 1

Just while I'm on a bit of a rant actually, here's another thing. 

They've recently changed rules around so that Garden Centres can be open in the UK. On my running route, I run past a couple of them. The car parks were ****ING FULL of cars and people lmao, I swear about 300 people in this car park, so that they could what, buy ****ing soil and plants? 300 idiots are allowed to stand crammed in a car park, but me and my missus aren't okay to pop over to my Mum and Dad's for Sunday dinner? 

You just think about the ****ing logic of it and it makes me head spin lmao, how does that work then?

Sorry lads, you've caught me in a real '**** the world' mood today lol.

• Like 6

here in BC there was never alot of restrictions in the first place but we're opening pretty much everything back up again that did get closed down

but yeah all the schools and parks, hair, tanning, and nail salons, massage parlors, restaurant dine ins are all opening back up again. dont know about bars just yet. before our beaches and lakes were only open to locals but i'm pretty sure the city is gonna ease the guidelines for those come summer tourist season. its  where they make the bulk of their money

sporting events/concerts and other large gatherings were the only other thing im aware of that got shut down. i think theyre probably last on the list,  but it looks like the province decided to take the YOLO approach.  gonna be interesting to see what happens.  they could just as easilly have to shut all that stuff back down again if this chit gets out of hand.  i'm not too worried about it here, we're pretty well isolated. but all it takes is a bunch of infected idiots from vancouver coming down for vacation to play touchbutt in the park, and it could spread around and fook everything up for us again

Edited by -idyb-

ND mostly reopened 17 days ago. A lot of people are still working from home. Before reopening we were told that about 2-3 weeks after we would know the impact of reopening as there should be a spike in cases if we reopened too early. There hasn't been a spike. The infection rate has been steady or dropping slightly. Active cases are up but we are testing almost twice as many people per day than we were previously. 

Now they are saying it will take 5-6 weeks from reopening to know if we reopened too soon. I know some of these changes are due to lack of info but the goal posts just keep moving. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

They've recently changed rules around so that Garden Centres can be open in the UK. On my running route, I run past a couple of them. The car parks were ****ING FULL of cars and people lmao, I swear about 300 people in this car park, so that they could what, buy ****ing soil and plants? 300 idiots are allowed to stand crammed in a car park, but me and my missus aren't okay to pop over to my Mum and Dad's for Sunday dinner? 

You just think about the ****ing logic of it and it makes me head spin lmao, how does that work then?

You're sounding more like my dad with every post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Who said you can't go to your parents house?

It's probably not recommended because they're older, but no one is going to stop you.

51 minutes ago, 12еr said:

It's probably not recommended because they're older, but no one is going to stop you.

His parents probably told him that because they just don't want him there. 

😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

My girlfriend's sister's baby-daddy (I use that term deliberately because he's a turd) was making substantially more from unemployment than he was at his job. Why on God's green Earth would that idiot go back to working when he makes more sitting on his ****? He openly said that chit too. 

There are going to be lasting effects based on how long this thing gets dragged out. One of the major ones is the permanent losses to the job force. 

This is the part I have had a problem with over here.
Something had to be done, I get that. Wish idiots would have saved before hand so I am not responsible, but whatever at this point.
But our dumb **** PM is giving students 1250 a month, because well, students need money. Well if students were working prior, they would be getting the other benefit. If they were not working, why are we handing out money to someone who didn't lose an income because of the pandemic.

Seniors wanted more. Seniors did not lose anything, their pensions stayed the same, their cpp still came, so why are we giving seniors more money?

Cashiers, gas jockeys etc etc got a bump in their pay from the federal government. So not only do I have to pay for people not working, but now I am subsidizing the people who were working.

People will be very content sitting their asses at home and collecting everything the can if these idiot politicians hand them everything in life. Its ****ing disgusting how stupid politicians become once elected.

1 hour ago, 12еr said:

UK still hasn't announced a ruling on meeting people from another household without social distancing m8. I could meet my dad in the park standing 6 feet apart, but don't fancy that. 

They aren't that only m8, probably around @Bubba_Sparks age, he's mid 50s right?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

Lol

4 to 1 that is a lie.

His doctors wouldn't let him take a potentially harmful drug for no reason. The closest this comes to being true is that his Dr's gave him a placebo to shut him up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 12еr said:

4 to 1 that is a lie.

His doctors wouldn't let him take a potentially harmful drug for no reason. The closest this comes to being true is that his Dr's gave him a placebo to shut him up.

Hes worried he will get covid soon

10 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

im drunkwhich side of the fence do u wanna throw down from m8?

Edited by -idyb-

i fooking tap out already by the way im fuccered up rite now

32 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

You forgot to mention, along with 20 of his relatives...chiits about to explode in Russia like Mexico.

10 hours ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

I feel ya. I almost had to call the cart narcs @ Walmart earlier. 🤣 Lazy fks leaving their baskets in the parking spots. Meanwhile you got like 3 greeters standing at the entrance with barricades not doing a damn thing. Literally just standing there with a mask on & that's somehow an essential job smfh

When i got out of there they had another dude with his daughter in his arm and he walked his cart back to the corral. I gave him a thumbs up & told him respect for taking your cart back where it belongs. Wish everyone did that instead of being lazy.