Jolldan

Does This Latest Loss Shift Lee From Future Contender To Simply Another Prospect?

Does This Latest Loss Shift Lee From Future Contender To Simply Anotehr Prospect?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does This Latest Loss Shift Lee From Future Contender To Simply Anotehr Prospect?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too Early To Say Just Yet

Image result for kevin lee

Things didn't go Lee's way on Saturday and this latest loss marks Kevin's third submission loss in his last four fights (with all of these submissions losses combing by a different method of choke.)

This leaves Lee currently on a 2-4 run in his last six fights, not exactly the record you expect of someone who has for quite a few years now been billed as a future champion or at the very least a future contender for the belt by a lot of MMA media.

Now despite being on a skid Lee was given a degree of leeway as he had really only lost to the tip of the spear level competition like #1 contender Tony Ferguson, former Lightweight champion RDA and Iaquinta who had beaten him previously and had just come off five rounds with Khabib. 

Now while Charles Oliveira is a great fighter and super exciting to watch this always felt like a fight that Lee was expected to win, not easily by any means but a fight in which he should come out on top as when you look back at Oliveira's UFC record he is a guy who has won a few fights until he's been given a top level guy and then almost always has lost to them. Combine that with the fact that you'd think Lee would have a decent physical advantage as he has formerly competed at 170lbs while Charles has competed down at 145lbs for the majority of his UFC career. 

So my question is do you think this latest loss really stops the talk of Lee being a future title contender/future champion for the foreseeable future? Especially with just how stacked the Lightweight division is meaning he could easily need to win 2 or 3 more before he's back in the talk and Oliveira leapfrogging him in to that title picture as well. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

Move him up to WW and face some mid range bangers.  

• Like 1

homie still probably thinks he's the champ and main draw

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, crangs said:

Sounds like Weidman 

• Like 1

Would be a mistake taking too much of a lay-off. Yes, work on his BJJ, but 2 years..

The likes of TJ ‘in the current climate’ can get away with it, as he’s been a Champ..

He needs to get his head together and make a return, early next year.. He should deffo stay at Tri-Star

Edited by Conceive-Believe-Achieve

3 hours ago, crangs said:

2 hours ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve said:

Would be a mistake taking too much of a lay-off. Yes, work on his BJJ, but 2 years..

The likes of TJ ‘in the current climate’ can get away with it, as he’s been a Champ..

He needs to get his head together and make a return, early next year.. He should deffo stay at Tri-Star

The fact that he always has some sort of excuse for a loss is worrying. 

“A lot more jiu-jitsu, for sure,” he said when asked what he intends to work on. “I’m losing a lot of these fights by choke, and these guys ain’t even choking me as me getting choked. I think I’m choking myself. So I’ve got to figure out why.”

It feels like he always has some sort of excuse for a loss and that is very worrying moving forward makes you wonder if he will really address it or just chalk a loss up to x or y. 

Yeah one of Kevin's big things in his favour is his age at only 27 he still does have plenty of years left but taking 2 whole years off just seems counter productive and a real waste of some of your athletic prime. 

• Haha 1

He will have to go on a winning streak to get back to contender status & I dont see it happening.

Edited by agtx
  • Like 1

Lee is a streaky fighter. The moment he stops thinking he's all that though is the day he's done. I have no problem with his self belief.

Tristar has some splaining to do. Lee 2.5lbs over and Walker looking even worse is concerning

gsp was not impressed by that performance. they need to boot him out of tri-star

He's neither a prospect or a future contender at this point. He's just a guy in the middle of the pack who is good enough to be in the top 10 but can't work his way up to a title shot. A gatekeeper, in other words.

• Like 3

Obviously, he is no longer a contender.  Nor is he prospect.   He's not losing title fights, he's losing fights to people who would lose title fights.  

He's just a really good fighter, somewhere in the middle of the pack.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ijosef said:

He's neither a prospect or a future contender at this point. He's just a guy in the middle of the pack who is good enough to be in the top 10 but can't work his way up to a title shot. A gatekeeper, in other words.

That's crazy.  We posted exactly the same time and said exactly the same thing.   I guess that means that what we are both saying is correct and obvious. 

• Like 1

He's losing prospect status and is almost just a gatekeeper. His flaws are known and they aren't being improved on. His hands suck, his striking defence sucks, he gasses in a round and gets strangled. Knocking out that fisherman with no credibility got him high on his own supply

Edited by Yesterdays_Hero
  • Like 2

He's like the BJ Penn of the WME era except he's a 2 division can and is washed up while he's in his prime.

• Like 1

Lee can't strike. He got lucky with the Gilespie. Looked very uncomfortable on the feet against Charles and whilst he is good with takedowns and scrambles he is basically clueless when it comes to BJJ defence.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 6:59 AM, crangs said:

First thing I thought of.

• Like 1

Dude always sucked. That's why I laughed in everyone's face when they said he was gonna be Khabib. His pathetic stuff double leg takedowns are good against cans like tony but against someone who isnt a retard, he is useless. 

How can someone who weighs as much as my left nut have the cardio of a 70 year old chain smoker with COPD. 

• Like 2

He will get a lot more slack than Walker but I think they are sort of in the same boat in the sense that just a few fights ago we were wondering how they would do against the champ now we are wondering if they will stay in the top 15. 

• Like 2

R

20 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

He will get a lot more slack than Walker but I think they are sort of in the same boat in the sense that just a few fights ago we were wondering how they would do against the champ now we are wondering if they will stay in the top 15. 

We know now that Rakic and Oez would massacree Walker-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jolldan said:

I was on the Walker train hard and I thought after his loss he would get back on track but he looks worse. Too scared to bang and no TDD. 

Dude was wolf tickets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I was on the Walker train hard and I thought after his loss he would get back on track but he looks worse. Too scared to bang and no TDD. 

Dude was wolf tickets. 

If you google him there is Union Jack flag behind his picture just now. Brazil stop trying to pass him off to us since you’ve realised he’s a can lol. 

16 hours ago, PunchBag said:

lee is the new top 16ish gate keeper

Bit more realistic

Edited by Ozpride

1 more consecutive loss and kevin lee should be getting a title shot like everybody else these days

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, -idyb- said:

1 more consecutive loss and kevin lee should be getting a title shot like everybody else these days

That mask on GSP looks nice but it's not very practical without a hole for all the cocs to fit in and out of

1 hour ago, Ozpride said:

That mask on GSP looks nice but it's not very practical without a hole for all the cocs to fit in and out of

i guess i'll have to make due with my life-sized inflateable GSP plastic blow up doll

take a guess where the air nozzle is

Edited by -idyb-

Lee was pushed too quick by NewFC.

That was not good for his career and ruined him mentally.

You can tell he does have talent and potential but there is always something missing.

NewFC made him believe on his own hype too much and that is his down fall.

I still think he can change things around if he starts to work on certain things