Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

"Don't be afraid of Covid."

19 minutes ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

The fact is the virus is deadly to the right demographic. Here's an example from when the death count was at 194000. 

Most of the people that I have had first hand experience with are elderly, mainly 75+. Pennsylvanias average mortality age is 78 years old and 80% of the deaths were nursing home residents in my state. I cant speak for other states. 

We have meetings every morning after rounds about any new info, any trends, etc. 

Currently in my county we have had an uptick in cases, I think 100 since Sunday. The local nursing home that I used to work for accounts for 78 of those cases between staff and residents. I believe the breakdown is like 48ish residents and 30ish staff. They had 10 deaths in the past two weeks from COVID, all residents and we have some of them in our ICU who will 99% not make it. 

No employee deaths so far. 

From what we are seeing with this wave is there isn't really a definitive co-morbitity that is linked with these mortalities. Its all over the place. I think the youngest was 51. 

The problem is that our local newspaper is reporting an increase in cases in the area and blaming the reopening of schools for that. I mean, it COULD be that the kids parents are bringing the virus into the nursing home and that's why we are seeing an increase number of cases but they aren't reporting where these cases are which they usually do. Theres another nursing hom up the line that has over 148 cases and the national guard is there because staff is so thin the place can't function. 

Lady at work tested positive, then her husband tested positive and gave it to his dad who just died in our ICU two days ago. 

Its no joke for the elderly who we HAVE to protect. 

A nursing home in Massachusetts is under fire big time and the administrator was arrested along with the medical director because 76 vets died under their care due to negligence. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/25/us/veterans-home-holyoke-covid.html

Hopefully the feds investigate more of these places because I know for a FACT that this is commonplace during this. And I know for a fact the nursing home in my area that i referenced earlier is pulling shady ****. They took two new admissions off of the quarantine unit who were waiting for their covid results and placed them on another unit (one on seperate units). Both came back positive and the one unit went to chaos. Funny enough that patient 0 surived while the one who didn't spread it all over did..their policy was to hold them in the AQU until they got negative test results back and didn't because they wanted to fill the AQU beds.

Its a **** show. 

Screenshot_20201006-084259_Chrome.jpg

I think the scarier part for me is that while it does mostly only kill the elderly, there are random young people here and there who just die who were seemingly healthy. Perhaps they had an underlying condition that was undocumented, but I’m the kind of guy who never goes to the doctor. I’d hate to find out I have an underlying condition because I die of Covid.

There’s also the unknown of whether or not there are long term health consequences of contracting Covid. While not conclusive, I’ve read there has been cases of heart and lung damage that hasn’t gone away for some people.

That said, I’ve been working during the pandemic and I mostly live exactly the same as before. I’ve been wearing a mask because while it’s obviously not going to give the protection of an N95, I believe I read that how much of a viral load you take could make the difference between an infection or your body fighting it off. The cloth has to stop at least some particles.

Even if it doesn’t, it probably helps just as a constant reminder on your face to not be careless. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 12еr said:

I think the scarier part for me is that while it does mostly only kill the elderly, there are random young people here and there who just die who were seemingly healthy. Perhaps they had an underlying condition that was undocumented, but I’m the kind of guy who never goes to the doctor. I’d hate to find out I have an underlying condition because I die of Covid.

There’s also the unknown of whether or not there are long term health consequences of contracting Covid. While not conclusive, I’ve read there has been cases of heart and lung damage that hasn’t gone away for some people.

That said, I’ve been working during the pandemic and I mostly live exactly the same as before. I’ve been wearing a mask because while it’s obviously not going to give the protection of an N95, I believe I read that how much of a viral load you take could make the difference between an infection or your body fighting it off. The cloth has to stop at least some particles.

Even if it doesn’t, it probably helps just as a constant reminder on your face to not be careless. 

I've been taking 1500mg of vitamin c a day and 5,000units vitamin d and supplemented three cups of my fluids a day with OJ. 

I take the airborne tabs. I take three in the morning and three at night and the vitamin d with my lunch (which is usually my big meal for the day since I'm nightshift). 

I'm interested in seeing what happens when the flu hits this year. I think the combo has the potential to do a lot of damage. 

Ny woman tested positive September 13th. It was kind of worrying for both of us because of the baby and for our moms. Her mom is a type 2 diabetic and my mom is just obese lol. 

I've tested negative every time since she's gotten it so either her test was a false positive or we are "immune" which i doubt. 

Work told.her she doesn't have to be tested for 120 days since she was positive which I dont agree with. She's in school for her masters and they had to close the school down for two days to deep clean it due to her testing positive. 

Its just crazy at this point and like you said you don't know what could happen even if you're younger. Im wondering if genetics plays a role in it especially for us younger ones. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I've been taking 1500mg of vitamin c a day and 5,000units vitamin d and supplemented three cups of my fluids a day with OJ. 

I take the airborne tabs. I take three in the morning and three at night and the vitamin d with my lunch (which is usually my big meal for the day since I'm nightshift). 

I'm interested in seeing what happens when the flu hits this year. I think the combo has the potential to do a lot of damage. 

Ny woman tested positive September 13th. It was kind of worrying for both of us because of the baby and for our moms. Her mom is a type 2 diabetic and my mom is just obese lol. 

I've tested negative every time since she's gotten it so either her test was a false positive or we are "immune" which i doubt. 

Work told.her she doesn't have to be tested for 120 days since she was positive which I dont agree with. She's in school for her masters and they had to close the school down for two days to deep clean it due to her testing positive. 

Its just crazy at this point and like you said you don't know what could happen even if you're younger. Im wondering if genetics plays a role in it especially for us younger ones. 

Heard about C & D

What about Zinc?. Don't quote me on it but i think i read somewhere zinc can possibly help in prevention of it binding to cells slowing down replication or possibly reduce inflammatory cytokines. 

Obviously none of them are "cures" but if you can take supplements to boost immune & possibly curb severity if you do contract yeah why the hell not. 

5 hours ago, 12еr said:

I'm still wearing N95 myself. 

Far as i know viral load & what protection you wear is sort of irrelevant if you actually do contract though. N95 Is a better prevention but that's all. If you do contract the severity would be up to your immune system & what health issues, genes, treatment etc. you may or may not have to fight it off. Not sure if you were making that point or not just saying. 

N95 if used proper gives a much better change to prevent contracting it in the first place but if you do contract how much viral load you took makes no difference in severity.

@I_Take_Roids_m8 please feel free to correct if i'm wrong on that but I'm somewhat sure viruses work in that way. i.e. if you do contract it's entirely on your immune system etc. & it matters not what PPE you used they're not gonna lesson severity because you may have taken less of a viral load. i.e. once you get it the how much or how little viral load you took is irrelevant to how severe or not it will be. 

31 minutes ago, StompGrind said:

I'm still wearing N95 myself. 

Far as i know viral load & what protection you wear is sort of irrelevant if you actually do contract though. N95 Is a better prevention but that's all. If you do contract the severity would be up to your immune system & what health issues, genes, treatment etc. you may or may not have to fight it off. Not sure if you were making that point or not just saying. 

N95 if used proper gives a much better change to prevent contracting it in the first place but if you do contract how much viral load you took makes no difference in severity.

@I_Take_Roids_m8 please feel free to correct if i'm wrong on that but I'm somewhat sure viruses work in that way. i.e. if you do contract it's entirely on your immune system etc. & it matters not what PPE you used they're not gonna lesson severity because you may have taken less of a viral load. i.e. once you get it the how much or how little viral load you took is irrelevant to how severe or not it will be. 

I’m no expert, but I think you are wrong about viral load effecting if you get sick or not. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I read that. I read so much it’s hard to keep track where I read something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 12еr said:

I’m no expert, but I think you are wrong about viral load effecting if you get sick or not. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I read that. I read so much it’s hard to keep track where I read something.

Could be which is why i said i'm only somewhat sure. I wasn't making the argument if you could get sick or not. It's just that if you do get sick what PPE you wore has no bearing on severity is the point i was making but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

I heard this very discussion b4 but i never looked into more to find out for sure if it's true or not but the argument of viral load have bearing on prevention is true but not severity seems to make sense to me from my limited understanding of it. 

Definitely know what you mean about reading too much $hit & it's difficult sometimes to sift through what's what especially if you don't have the time to become an expert on it. 

Edited by StompGrind

8 minutes ago, StompGrind said:

Could be which is why i said i'm only somewhat sure. I wasn't making the argument if you could get sick or not. It's just that if you do get sick what PPE you wore has no bearing on severity is the point i was making but I'm not 100% sure on that. 

I heard this very discussion b4 but i never looked into more to find out for sure if it's true or not but the argument of viral load have bearing on prevention is true but not severity seems to make sense to me from my limited understanding of it. 

Definitely know what you mean about reading too much $hit & it's difficult sometimes to sift through what's what especially if you don't have the time to become an expert on it. 

There are different levels of PPE for a reason. From my understanding a surgical mask isn’t to protect the surgeon, it’s to protect the patient from the surgeon infecting their open wound. 

It’s the same theory with the cloths masks, they won’t protect you necessarily, but if we all wear them we are protecting each other from ourselves. If you sneeze in my face with no mask, I’m definitely going to get more virus on me than if you wear a mask. 

Whether it works or not, it’s such a minor inconvenience in the long run that it feels beyond selfish to not make the tiny sacrifice for everyone around me if There is even a 1% chance it helps.

Edited by 12еr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I'm interested in seeing what happens when the flu hits this year. I think the combo has the potential to do a lot of damage

I have a hunch that this year's flu will be one of the lowest death rates for many years. The anti corona precautions people are taking will also greatly reduce the incidence of flu. Plus without wishing to sound harsh, a bunch of the people who would usually die from the flu are already dead from corona. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised if some countries end up having lower than average deaths in 2020/2021 combined. 

• Like 1

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/88692

Hmm.... read this article earlier seems like amount of viral load "seems to suggest" it may be a factor in severity of illness but studies aren't conclusive to determine that. 

But the research investigating whether or not patients with a higher viral load will suffer worse outcomes is not conclusive.

"We know some of the unknowns, but there are also a lot of unknown unknowns," Katona said. "I'm convinced that the viral load makes a difference. We just haven't been able to show that consistently."

Regardless we do know greater viral load exposure definitely ups your chances of getting infected in the first place so wearing PPE is better than not & some PPE is better than others. 

It's interesting. I've been curious on what the answer is to that question of viral load does it it increase severity of illness since i first started learning about Covid.