Sign in to follow this  
OzPride

The Home grown thread

Anyone else grow herbs and veggies? 

I have a cherry tomato ... Plant, I suppose you'd call it. Actually three. Together it is one giant motherfooker that is seriously getting out of hand.  The gutter to the right is roughly 12-14 foot tall. There are about 500 purple cherry tomatoes growinf, it's hectic. 

Well. Go on. 

received_143661787401423.thumb.jpeg.525f82ef84a9fccca45978272ff77caf.jpeg

received_616624262439337.jpeg

unnamed - 2021-01-09T234218.424.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OzPride said:

Anyone else grow herbs and veggies? 

I have a cherry tomato ... Plant, I suppose you'd call it. Actually three. Together it is one giant motherfooker that is seriously getting out of hand.  The gutter to the right is roughly 12-14 foot tall. There are about 500 purple cherry tomatoes growinf, it's hectic. 

Well. Go on. 

received_143661787401423.thumb.jpeg.525f82ef84a9fccca45978272ff77caf.jpeg

received_616624262439337.jpeg

unnamed - 2021-01-09T234218.424.gif

I dont but I have a buddy who does herbs, peppers, tomatoes etc. Small stuff but large quantities for himself.

He was trained as a chef, then gave up years later to go work in the mines for some real cash. But he still cooks for himself like he's a chef.

• Thanks 1

I have a large horticultural collection to display, that would take a while to post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bwana said:

I have a large horticultural collection to display, that would take a while to post.

just show us the 20 foot sativa

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bwana said:

Well get to it man!

Edited by OzPride

53 minutes ago, -idyb- said:

just show us the 20 foot sativa

I held the record for a 12' 6" hybrid Indica in a major county here for a while.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bwana said:

I held the record for a 12' 6" hybrid Indica in a major county here for a while.

Is that in Guiness or nah?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

Is that in Guiness or nah?

Nah, largest confiscated hooch plant on record in County....sent the full SWAT team in, they took hero pictures and everything lol. I walked away from the ordeal scott free, but it cost me a lot of money to do so.

I have pictures of it somewhere, her sister next to her was a dinky 11' 2'' :) ....that's when I decided to move to a farm out of state for my cultivation obsession. 

EDIT: To the best of my knowledge the record hasn't been broken, but I'm not calling the police to check.

Edited by Bwana
  • Haha 1

The beetroot is from a month ago, picked and pickled. Tomatoes and strawberries a couple of seasons ago,

received_437186177281371.jpeg

20151122_092059.jpg

20151206_172405.jpg

20150917_213039.jpg

received_351530089472477.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SavageTC said:

The beetroot is from a month ago, picked and pickled. Tomatoes and strawberries a couple of seasons ago,

received_437186177281371.jpeg

20151122_092059.jpg

20151206_172405.jpg

20150917_213039.jpg

received_351530089472477.jpeg

I'm doing a heap of beets this year, you can see them in front of the tomatoes in the long shot. Using the leaves mainly as they're basically spinach on roids.. what's your pickling recipe?

Tried pickling garlic a few years ago, didn't strain it and made myself some home made botulism. God head spins when I opened the jar and realised something was up!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzPride said:

I'm doing a heap of beets this year, you can see them in front of the tomatoes in the long shot. Using the leaves mainly as they're basically spinach on roids.. what's your pickling recipe?

Tried pickling garlic a few years ago, didn't strain it and made myself some home made botulism. God head spins when I opened the jar and realised something was up!

Yeah i use the beet greens like spinach as well. Have three pots of coloured silverbeet on my balcony now but no pics.

The pickling recipe is dead easy, boil the beetroot in lightly salted water for about 30 mins skin on until tender. 1 part white wine vinegar, 1 part raw suger, then your herbs and spices (mustard seed, peppercorn, fennel seed, allspice berries, salt) brought to the boil. Sterilize your jars by boiling them for 15 minutes, peel and cut the beets while still hot, pour over the pickle juice and leave for a couple of weeks to mature. 

Basic recipe works for onions and little cucumbers as well.

• Like 1

No pictures of it but i have a large(ish) satsuma tree in my backyard. Mofo produces like 500 of the juiciest big delicious satsuma oranges every fall. I usually eat like 50 of them the first 2 weeks then freeze like 100 & give the rest away to fam or friends. 

Anyway they're my fav type of orange i like them way better than other kinds. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Btw Oz, ive never pickled garlic, but when i have some excess i usually gently cook it and infuse it in oil. Keeps indefinitely, has heaps of flavour and can be used on just about anything.

• Like 1