skillandpower

What is the Real Reason why NG vs Jones may not happen ?

6 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Would you settle for $200K?

If it keeps Jones crying, sure, why not.

Though he would cry a lot more if it was 8 million. 

167007814_1895936733890685_1794041020344

50 million is his asking price  lol. should have just said 100 billion dollars.  either way he's not getting it

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I understand the negotiations 101 tactic of "shoot high, settle low", but you can also tank any chance you had of getting a deal if you start with an asinine number. Jones either doesn't get it or he doesn't care. I'm guessing the former.

Jones isn't a PPV draw. I agree that a well-promoted bout with Ngannou would likely fare much better than his past couple of fights and might even surpass his Cormier fights, but he's simply not going to draw like Conor. Even if he did, $50 million is absurd. -idyb-'s exactly right in that Jones may as well have asked for $100 billion at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

give me 5 million and i'll gladly get knocked out by ngannou

hell i'd probably even do it for 3.      balls in your court @DanaWhite

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, -idyb- said:

give me 5 million and i'll gladly get knocked out by ngannou

hell i'd probably even do it for 3.      balls in your court @DanaWhite

Make it happen, Baldy 

Edited by Dark_Horse
  • Like 1

Neither of those cans are PPV draws, in this day and age. 

Coke Bones should be happy with his contract and take a little higher on the night. If he's 'that good'. What does he care.... He'll get a massive Contract when he defends against Stipe or Tom Apsinall

• Like 1

Bad MMA non-fight math incoming (and I stole these figures from someone else since I'm too lazy to do it on my own)...

• Jones doesn’t have the leverage or the track record to make a big money demand, which is why him and his coaches are trying to negotiate in the media.
  • Jones has no legitimate promotional skills - in fact, he's largely a promotional drain. His buy rate as a main event attraction averages 525K with a median buy rate of 485K.
  • Jones has only exceeded his average buy rate six times - Cormier (x2), Rashard, Rampage, 2nd Gustafson fight and Anthony Smith. When he doesn't have a compelling challenger, his buy rates are even lower. 

Here's some real guerilla math...

• Let's be optimistic and say Ngannou v. Jones gets 1.5 million PPV buys. The charge a premium $70 for this fight so that equals $105 million gross.
  • Let's also give them an optimistic live gate of $15 million. That's a total pie of $120 million.
  • The average payout on a UFC event is 25% (which needs to change, but that's a different issue), so that's $30 million to be shared by ALL the fighters. That makes Jones' $50 million demand ridiculous on the surface.
  • How much less would Francis accept than Jones? As the champion, should he not make a sum at least in the same ballpark as the challenger?
  • Let's say Jones gets his $50 million and Ngannou settles for half that for total of $75 million. That's 62.5% of the revenue going to just the main event fighter, and now you have to pay the rest of the card too (and everyone else involved in putting together a live event).
  • Mayweather and McGregor did 4.3 million PPV buys. No UFC event has come anywhere close to that, and no Jones fight ever will. His money demands are preposterous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jones knows his time is up. He could have 3 losses more on his record if decisions weren't made in his favor. Trying to make retirement money. Losing this fight will do some damage to his record (first proper loss) but more importantly to his ego. If he gets KTFO, it will ruin him like so many other "invincible" champs before. His unconscious face will adorn the net for years to come. That is what he fears the most, not the actual fight or physical pain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DoomPatrol said:

Jones knows his time is up. He could have 3 losses more on his record if decisions weren't made in his favor. Trying to make retirement money. Losing this fight will do some damage to his record (first proper loss) but more importantly to his ego. If he gets KTFO, it will ruin him like so many other "invincible" champs before. His unconscious face will adorn the net for years to come. That is what he fears the most, not the actual fight or physical pain.

Are you Jon's psychologist m8 ?

• Haha 1

Given Jones' propensity for living out all his follies in the media, every hardcore MMA fan has been forced to play armchair therapist on him at least once.

I'd love to see Jon get the Ngannou fight and get KTFO with a Rashard-level KO face to top it off. Then, Jon would return against someone else (Lewis maybe?) only to get KTFO again. After that he pops for roids (that can't be explained by those pesky surging picograms) and gets suspended, resulting in him getting cut by the UFC. It's pure shadenfreude.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:24 AM, OmoGOAT said:

Are you Jon's psychologist m8 ?

For 8 million I could be, otherwise I'll retire as the GOAT couch psychologist 😁

On 4/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, DoomPatrol said:

Well yes but also do you know who else got a lot to loose on a Jones defeat ? Dana!

Why I think that ? Well Jones, like him or not, is still one of the remaining drawers and no, if Jones gets KTFO Reem style how are they gonna sell his next fight ?

They need to keep Jones “victorious” because , Khabib is gone, Amanda (if we can call her a drawer) got no opponents, Conor is always a question, Izzy just lost (same scenario as Jones) and NG is the new hype that needs to be built.

So yeah Jones fighting Jan at 205 is probably the safest route for Dana and it would probably sell well too.