Sign in to follow this  
Conceive-Believe-Achieve

Ariel Helwani leaves ESPN (Doesn't blame Dana..... Yet)

The great Ariel Helwani leaves ESPN.

In an Instagram post. He stated that he was offered a new contract from ESPN, but turned it down. He also stated that he would 'spill the beans' on the new venture, very very soon.

I like the guy. He done the MMA world a good turn!

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/06/ufc-news-ariel-helwani-leaves-espn-contract-up-mma-no-hard-feelings

Edited by Conceive-Believe-Achieve

His show was on at midnight on the east coast. As much as ESPN wishes they would, neither Helweenie or DC draw interest from the casual fan. I bet their show drew about the same ratings as their late night Lumberjack games.

ESPN should pay Uncle Chael to come in and fix their MMA side of things.

• Like 4

Wasn't a fan of him or DC in the commentating roles.

• Like 1

He’s an **** so I’m guessing he is lying & he left because they didn’t renew his contract.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, agtx said:

He’s an **** so I’m guessing he is lying & he left because they didn’t renew his contract.

They probably did make an offer, but he assumes his value at 10 million a year....so he felt lowballed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, agtx said:

Agreed. I've always found him to be an insufferable little egomaniac and never understood his appeal. I readily admit that he's one of the pioneering MMA journalists, always broke news, and manages to get a lot of fighters on his show. However, as a media personality and interviewer he leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't care for Luke Thomas either but he seems to be more of an up front arrogant goof rather than a duplicitous weasel like Ariel.

• Like 5

He was decent when he had his own show on Youtube when you could basically watch it when you want, I haven't watched any of him since the ESPN deal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ijosef said:

Agreed. I've always found him to be an insufferable little egomaniac and never understood his appeal. I readily admit that he's one of the pioneering MMA journalists, always broke news, and manages to get a lot of fighters on his show. However, as a media personality and interviewer he leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't care for Luke Thomas either but he seems to be more of an up front arrogant goof rather than a duplicitous weasel like Ariel.

Luke Thomas was on XM for the longest time. I want to say he isn't anymore? Not sure. I do actually appreciate his takes, but he rambles on about way too much nonsense that is irrelevant to MMA and my life in general, and that turned me off a lot. I quit listening a while back. 

Ariel was doing interviews at Knicks games and chit lately. They were trying to make him more recognizable as a brand, but having his show on at 11PM local time here made it a pass usually. I get up early and I can't stay up late to hear DC's take on Conor dropping a deuce. 

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

Brett Okamoto is such a better representation of what helwani should be.

True in presentation and delivery, but his MMA knowledge is lacking and technical diagnosis is nonexistent.

19 minutes ago, Bwana said:

True in presentation and delivery, but his MMA knowledge is lacking and technical diagnosis is nonexistent.

yeah true, in the end hes more moldable and can build in those areas where hes weak vs Helwani that wont improve in the areas hes weak.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VertFTW said:

yeah true, in the end hes more moldable and can build in those areas where hes weak vs Helwani that wont improve in the areas hes weak.

Agreed, he's more of a host like Megan....has the look and appeal to the general casual viewer, which is something ESPN usually pushes, like a Laura Sanko. Real MMA interviews aren't really Brett or Laura's forte, and honestly more in Megan's wheelhouse because of her knowledge in the sport(not that she's the best of course)....but she's more than a cute face, when they let her control the agenda/script.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 2:55 PM, cashfl0w said:

ESPN should pay Uncle Chael to come in and fix their MMA side of things.

Only way that happens is get MMA of that fookin stream service.