Jump to content

Leon Edwards gets to shut up and go to the back of the line.


cashfl0w
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lol, this slipped under the radar. I still don't really get how he earned his shot.  Biggest win is decisioning a past it RDA and a green Vincent Luque.  Has had one OTN bonus over 7 years ago, 3 finishes in the UFC out of 13 fights.  If I was Belal I'd be pretty pissed; since they fought, he's beaten 3 top 10 fighters whereas Edwards has scraped past Diaz.

Not saying they should have given the shot to Belal, but he's got more of a claim than Edwards.

But anyway. I'm assuming it's an easy win for Marty and hopefully Edwards vanishes into obscurity afterwards.  I guess he's a placeholder until they can find a way to get Chimaev in there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, skillandpower said:

Crazy to imagine Leon on a PPV main event against the P4P

Juiceman doesn't sell either.  It's why he wanted rematches with Jorge and Colby.  Jorge got his bandwagon fanbase by killing 3 men in a calendar year.  Colby can say a bunch of crazy **** and definitely more people know of him than Leon.

That's a pretty terrible co-main for a PPV.  Aldo is old and Merab is a decision machine just like Leon.

Without making fun of them selling double digits.  No joke I don't think this will sell 200k.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Usman (or his manager) needs to look into some sort of personal consultant or something.  New hairstyle, new all-around look, new public personality.  I can't think of anything he's said or done which would make him a bad guy, but he's not a likable guy.  No charisma. 

His job is as much show-biz as it is sport, so this is something he (and other fighters like him) should take more seriously, because he's not selling pay-per-views.  

This sport is unforgiving and even the greatest fighter has a limited number of years.  In order to make the very most of it, in order to get all the glory and the fans and the money and in order to live the dream, those who are at the pinnacle of the sport, but are not naturally charismatic need to fix that.   Focusing on boxing and wrestling alone isn't enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Megasoup said:

Usman (or his manager) needs to look into some sort of personal consultant or something.  New hairstyle, new all-around look, new public personality.  I can't think of anything he's said or done which would make him a bad guy, but he's not a likable guy.  No charisma. 

His job is as much show-biz as it is sport, so this is something he (and other fighters like him) should take more seriously, because he's not selling pay-per-views.  

This sport is unforgiving and even the greatest fighter has a limited number of years.  In order to make the very most of it, in order to get all the glory and the fans and the money and in order to live the dream, those who are at the pinnacle of the sport, but are not naturally charismatic need to fix that.   Focusing on boxing and wrestling alone isn't enough.  

"I broke ... Your face" was pretty good 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Megasoup said:

Apparently it wasn’t good enough for everyone else, because he is still not a draw.  

He's a bit of a draw. The hard truth is there are very few actual draws left in the league. 

 

Wait til Jones returns and see

Edited by OzPride
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OzPride said:

He's a bit of a draw. The hard truth is there are very few actual draws left in the league. 

 

Wait til Jones returns and see

I feel like Jiri will be a draw.  He should be, at least.  

 

I'm unsure if Jones is much of a draw.  Here's something I lifted somewhere:

 

 

UFC 247 - Jones vs Reyes: Numbers not released

UFC 239 - Jones vs Santos: Numbers not released

UFC 235 - Jones vs Smith: 650,000

UFC 232 - Jones vs Gustafsson II: 700,000

UFC 214  - Jones vs Cormier II: 860,000

UFC 197 - Jones vs St Preux: 322,000

UFC 182 - Jones vs Cormier I: 800,000

UFC 172 - Jones vs Teixeira: 350,000

UFC 165 - Jones vs Gustafsson I: 310,000

UFC 159 - Jones vs Sonnen: 530,000

UFC 152 - Jones vs Belfort: 450,000

UFC 145 - Jones vs Evans: 700,000

UFC 140 - Jones vs Machida: 485,000

UFC 135 - Jones vs Rampage: 520,000

UFC 128 - Jones vs Shogun: 445,000

Total buys: 7,122,000

Average buys: 547,846

 

That 537,000 figure is pretty much on par with the average event.

 

The current top drawers for the UFC are, ironically, not the best fighters by a fair margin.  They are McGregor, Diaz, and Mazvidal.  Who are the other top fighters?  I don't know.  Maybe they don't exist right now.

Edited by Megasoup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

@PlatinumClegg, have you seen any of TUF 30? Usman's HW brother is on there and also does the whole scary ghost thing whenever he talks. It's weird. I reckon old man Usman must have taught them. 

No I haven't really watched TUF since the real King of Miami Kimbo Slice was on there like 12 years ago.

Ghost Stories Juiceman is kinda creepy though.  There's not **** else to do in Nebraska.  Go camping and tell ghost stories around the fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Megasoup said:

I feel like Jiri will be a draw.  He should be, at least.  

 

I'm unsure if Jones is much of a draw.  Here's something I lifted somewhere:

 

 

UFC 247 - Jones vs Reyes: Numbers not released

UFC 239 - Jones vs Santos: Numbers not released

UFC 235 - Jones vs Smith: 650,000

UFC 232 - Jones vs Gustafsson II: 700,000

UFC 214  - Jones vs Cormier II: 860,000

UFC 197 - Jones vs St Preux: 322,000

UFC 182 - Jones vs Cormier I: 800,000

UFC 172 - Jones vs Teixeira: 350,000

UFC 165 - Jones vs Gustafsson I: 310,000

UFC 159 - Jones vs Sonnen: 530,000

UFC 152 - Jones vs Belfort: 450,000

UFC 145 - Jones vs Evans: 700,000

UFC 140 - Jones vs Machida: 485,000

UFC 135 - Jones vs Rampage: 520,000

UFC 128 - Jones vs Shogun: 445,000

Total buys: 7,122,000

Average buys: 547,846

 

That 537,000 figure is pretty much on par with the average event.

 

The current top drawers for the UFC are, ironically, not the best fighters by a fair margin.  They are McGregor, Diaz, and Mazvidal.  Who are the other top fighters?  I don't know.  Maybe they don't exist right now.

Shame on you for Googling stuff, first of all. Yuck.

The bold is accurate, and yet, retarded. I agree Jiri SHOULD be a draw, but he never will be. That lay and pray job Jan put on Izzy would probably happen to King Jerry too. I think he got humped by King Mo, who is much smaller than Jan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Shame on you for Googling stuff, first of all. Yuck.

The bold is accurate, and yet, retarded. I agree Jiri SHOULD be a draw, but he never will be. That lay and pray job Jan put on Izzy would probably happen to King Jerry too. I think he got humped by King Mo, who is much smaller than Jan.

I don't think the loss to King Mo is a predictor to how successful he is going to be now.  He was only 22, and 22 year olds are not as strong or as muscular as they will be later on (if they keep working out, that is.  A lot of people...most people peak at this age and some even earlier because they never exercise or pursue any sport.  Yikes!)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...