Wrestling - educate me

thebutterflybee

Alright, I'm hoping to learn a few things from this, so if I ask stupid questions, try not to laugh too much! Anyways, as a proud Brit, I have to humbly admit that I - and most of us - know sod all about the intricacies of wrestling.

My knowledge base is pretty much just what I see in MMA. So I can spot and appreciate the fundamentals like positioning and control. But what the hell is it all about on its own?

Is it fighting? By this I mean it's obviously physical, but whats the level of aggression like? Apart from muscle injuries, do you get hurt?

I watched a couple of Brock Lesnars college matches before his first MMA match, and to be honest I didn't have a clue what was going on. Whats the deal with how they start? What's the aim? How is it scored?

I used to view all sports I didn't understand as stupid. haha, a little bit silly obviously! But over the last 4 or 5 years I have actually got into some pretty varied sports such as cricket, American Football - sports I used to dislike cos I didnt know anything about them.

So, I'm here as a self-confessed ignaramus when it comes to wrestling. Please - educate me!!!!!!!!!

But you must have wrestling in Britain, it's not like it's an American sport? I'm certainly no expert so the simplest way of explaining it is that the goal is to get your opponent on his back on the mat which is an automatic win. You can also win on points, which you get by throwing or rolling your opponent I think.

I might have to do an retraction here. I realised that maybe you were talking about that non sport that Americans call wrestling? Those pure show events were people throw each other around in a ring following a script...

Haha, no I didnt mean the showcase for The Rock, Hulkamania, and Jake the Snake Roberts. I mean the competitive wrestling that guys like Koscheck, Fitch, etc are all renowned for. The one where they wear waterpolo hats (sorry guys, just a wee joke!)

Honest to god over here it is like the most random thing ever. The only place in the whole country i could imagine going to get any wrestling training would be an MMA gym, and that's obviously slightly different. It's not done in any schools I have ever heard of.

And dont even get me started on the differences between Freestyle, Greco Roman, etc. You might as well be speaking Yiddish for all I would know!

I might have to do an retraction here. I realised that maybe you were talking about that non sport that Americans call wrestling? Those pure show events were people throw each other around in a ring following a script...

I don't know about that man, we have some olympic gold medalists in our history. What you see on tv is just entertainment. No one takes it seriously, like there's real winners.

I don't know about that man' date=' we have some olympic gold medalists in our history. What you see on tv is just entertainment. No one takes it seriously, like there's real winners.[/quote']

Fore sure, and I'm sure that Britain competes in it in(on?) the Olympics also that's why I was so surprised when he didn't know what it was...

Wrestling (not fake TV wrestling like you see in WWE/TNA IMPACT stuff) but actual wrestling is a competitive sport in which you try to score points on your opponent by pinning them to the mat . There are several rules which create the different styles. (Like Greco-Roman doesn't allow you to grab legs so it focuses more on upper body throws)

The overall idea is to use your leverage and weight to control the fight.

Wrestling, the style in which Brock competed in college, is a pretty in depth sport to explain in a post. I'll be brief with the basics. 3 periods (like rounds in mma). 1st period starts both guys standing, 2 & 3 alternate with each guy starting by having the back of the other. The match can end at any time by one guy pinning the shoulders of the other guy to the mat. In the event the match goes the distance, the wrestler with the most points wins. Throughout the match, you get 2 points for a takedown or a reversal of control, 1 point for an "escape" (self-explanatory) and 3 points for having a competitor on his back, athough if he's on his back with both shoulders on the mat, he's pinned and it's over. That's a very basic explanation and I probably left out some scoring or other details. I haven't wrestled in that style for quite some time but I hope that helps you understand it a little.

Thanks guys, this actually does help out alot.

Like, for example, I had no idea about the no legs rule in Greco, so thats definitely interesting. Cheers Indiglo.

And fall200, thx for the scoring breakdown. I know you said it was a pretty basic breakdown but its more than I knew before. At least I can understand now a little about when one is on the other guys back and how they choose who does it!

Archived