Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida TUF 9 Finale

IwishIwasMMA

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14178/diego-sanchez-vs-clay-guida-tapped-for-junes-the-ultimate-fighter-9-finale.mma

Surging UFC lightweights Diego Sanchez (20-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) and Clay Guida (25-9 MMA, 5-3 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale.

The event, which concludes the upcoming ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," takes place June 20 at The Pearl in the The Palms Las Vegas and airs on Spike TV.

The bout was first reported by Sherdog.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) a fight between Guida and Josh Neer (originally pitched to UFC officials by Neer himself) had also been considered for the event, though it never came to fruition.

The upcoming event, set to air on Spike TV, also features the welterweight and lightweight finales for the upcoming ninth season of "TUF." The show, which debuts April 1, features a U.S. vs. U.K. squad with Dan Henderson heading the American team and Michael Bisping leading the British squad.

Sanchez, "The Ultimate Fighter 1" middleweight winner, recently made the drop from welterweight to lightweight and defeated Joe Stevenson via unanimous decision at UFC 95. Sanchez has now won three consecutive fights since back-to-back losses to Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch in 2007.

Guida, meanwhile, returns to competition looking for his fourth consecutive win. After launching his UFC career with a 2-3 record, Guida looked as though he might be a gatekeeper for the division. However he's since rattled off a TKO victory over Samy Schiavo and decision wins over former "TUF" winners Mac Danzig and Nate Diaz to emerge as a legitimate 155-pound contender.

As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, Anthony Johnson (7-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and John Howard (11-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) have also verbally agreed to meet at the June 20 event.

For the latest on The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

So... Where is PipRock to cry about Guida fighting when you need him?

Right on, Im looking forward to this event. I see sanchez beating all aspects of guidas game IMO. Probably a good stand up battle initially, & then diego controlling the fight from the ground, or getting a tko standing. should be good though!

This fight i am looking forward to. Two guys with amazing cardio. I give the edge to Diego with his amazing ground game. He transitions faster than any other guy on the ground. Its amazing to watch some of his fights the way he can scramble to gain the advantage. On the other hand is he going to have the gas to fight clay if it goes into the later rounds. Against stevenson diego looked tired in the third. I pick Diego either way. i think it will go to a decision with diego winning rounds 1 and 2 and a thiird going to clay. I just dont see clays stand up or ground game getting the best of diego.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14178/diego-sanchez-vs-clay-guida-tapped-for-junes-the-ultimate-fighter-9-finale.mma

Surging UFC lightweights Diego Sanchez (20-2 MMA' date=' 9-2 UFC) and Clay Guida (25-9 MMA, 5-3 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale.

The event, which concludes the upcoming ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter," takes place June 20 at The Pearl in the The Palms Las Vegas and airs on Spike TV.

The bout was first reported by Sherdog.

A source close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) a fight between Guida and Josh Neer (originally pitched to UFC officials by Neer himself) had also been considered for the event, though it never came to fruition.

The upcoming event, set to air on Spike TV, also features the welterweight and lightweight finales for the upcoming ninth season of "TUF." The show, which debuts April 1, features a U.S. vs. U.K. squad with Dan Henderson heading the American team and Michael Bisping leading the British squad.

Sanchez, "The Ultimate Fighter 1" middleweight winner, recently made the drop from welterweight to lightweight and defeated Joe Stevenson via unanimous decision at UFC 95. Sanchez has now won three consecutive fights since back-to-back losses to Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch in 2007.

Guida, meanwhile, returns to competition looking for his fourth consecutive win. After launching his UFC career with a 2-3 record, Guida looked as though he might be a gatekeeper for the division. However he's since rattled off a TKO victory over Samy Schiavo and decision wins over former "TUF" winners Mac Danzig and Nate Diaz to emerge as a legitimate 155-pound contender.

As MMAjunkie.com recently reported, Anthony Johnson (7-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and John Howard (11-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) have also verbally agreed to meet at the June 20 event.

For the latest on The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.[/b']

So... Where is PipRock to cry about Guida fighting when you need him?

dang man, your good, you beat me to this story, well Sanchez is going to win this for sure, guida will actually get outworked and sanchez isnt going to let guida just hold him.

WAR Sanchez!!!!!!!!

This is setting up to be a great fan friendly fight card, and for FREE! A lot of the Spike shows end up being exciting, and this one looks like it could have some fight of the year matchups. I like the Guida vs. Diego matchup although I was not expecting that to be Diego's next fight. Good job Silva.

and it'ssssss

CLAAAAAY GUUUUUUUIIDA!!

wanna see a boooooring snooooooring lightweight fight on free cable with a top contender?? tune in for this one. 3 rounds of hugging, holding, snoring and boring entertainment for all you lovebirds. bring out the flowers and champagne everybody. and hold on tight cause it's gonna get sticky. first one to fall asleep loses. yeah...

I gotta go with Guida on this one. Let the hatery BEGIN!!!!!! LOL

Ladies and Gentleman!! The moment you have all been waiting for!!

Michael Douglas- Falling Down: "have you ever heard the expression, 'the customer's always right'?? well, here i am..."

lol

Guida by 1st round KO, possibly KO of the year status. via jumping spinning backwards roundhouse kick to the side of the head. crowd silencing. paramedics and stretchers. followed by countless slow motion replays. shock tv status. Guida becomes a martial arts icon of the future. His style will be studied & taught for years to come. It will be called Brute-Jitsu. It will revolutionize the sport as we know it. i know this. i can predict the future. i have special powers. in my head. i can make anything happen as long as i wish for it. this is a fact. ok i'm gonna stop now. ...you're welcome.

Guida by 1st round KO' date=' possibly KO of the year status. via jumping spinning backwards roundhouse kick to the side of the head. crowd silencing. paramedics and stretchers. followed by countless slow motion replays. shock tv status. Guida becomes a martial arts icon of the future. His style will be studied & taught for years to come. It will be called Brute-Jitsu. It will revolutionize the sport as we know it. i know this. i can predict the future. i have special powers. in my head. i can make anything happen as long as i wish for it. this is a fact. ok i'm gonna stop now. ...you're welcome.[/quote']

Don't be a tard. Sanchez FTW.

I am thinking Diego. The only worry I have with this pick is the unbelievable pace Guida will push him at. When it comes to cardio Guida is a god.

Diego's pace in a fight is not too shabby in its own right. And his cardio will be even better than his first 55 fight.

Diego by UD.

Diego's pace in a fight is not too shabby in its own right. And his cardio will be even better than his first 55 fight.

Diego by UD.

I cannot agree more. The only thing I can say that is a possible argument is that Guida has potentially one of the most dangerous paces in a fight. He may not be looking for the Finish, but he is always on you 100% of the time

I cannot agree more. The only thing I can say that is a possible argument is that Guida has potentially one of the most dangerous paces in a fight. He may not be looking for the Finish' date=' but he is always on you 100% of the time[/quote']

I would like to see a 15 round fight of Guida and Sherk, just to see who's pace would slow down first. Might have to make that a 30 round fight actually.

I though Guida actaully looked a little gassed late against Diaz. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways, to the point. Diego by whatever he wants whenever he wants it. Guida's okay but I think they want him to be a gatekeeper of sorts. Him and Joe Daddy should have a match after to determine who is the true 155 gatekeeper. Better matchup anyways. Diego is out of this guy's league.

I though Guida actaully looked a little gassed late against Diaz. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyways' date=' to the point. Diego by whatever he wants whenever he wants it. Guida's okay but I think they want him to be a gatekeeper of sorts. Him and Joe Daddy should have a match after to determine who is the true 155 gatekeeper. Better matchup anyways. Diego is out of this guy's league.[/quote']

Not sure if it was Clay being gassed, but more playing it safe knowing that Diaz has pulled off last minute submissions to steal fights. Clay is not only a cardio freak and very aggressive in his pace, he is also smart enough to know he is winning the fight and wont do anything wreckless to just have it taken away with 1 min left.

Diego vs Clay is really a great treat for a free event.

• 1 month later...
I cannot agree more. The only thing I can say that is a possible argument is that Guida has potentially one of the most dangerous paces in a fight. He may not be looking for the Finish' date=' but he is always on you 100% of the time[/quote']

that's because guida has absolutely not a shred of another mma skill set whatsover that he can go to. and if he wants to keep that pace in his future fights (awww god no!! help me please!!) then he needs to check his ring entrance before he decides to go running in full speed doing jumping jacks and blowing half his load pounding on his chest. he should've learned from tito running up and down the bleachers years ago and jumping up and down followed by a gassed out performance. being excited is one thing, being composed is another. guida has absolutely not an ounce of composure and will never be a top 10 LW. get a clue guys, having a strong wrestling base is key. but you must be able to strike or submit fighters. he's a 100% brute if i've ever seen one. u wanna tag him in a top 10 division?? top 10 brute's in the world i don't doubt that one bit.

this has fight of the night writen all over it. both very interesting fighters are far as i'm concernd in spite of what piprock says.

its a TUF fight to call (see what i did there lol)

yeah lol. it's a TUF fight as in The Ultimate Free fight to call. thank goodness, i boycott anymore ppv's with guida in em. i don't think sanchez will have an easy time with guida, but will nonetheless get the win. probably by decision, UD or split. alot of grunting i suspect. and guida looking like a caveman. NO! WAIT! he's gonna shock us all and come out with a shaved head!!

He also did it with a broken hand.

Does not change the fact that his pace slowed completely down in the third. Broken hand does not ruin cardio...

BJ would dismantle Sanchez right now. Kenflo would obliterate the new Sanchez when they are even weight, and a lot of other men at 155 would handle him. I think Sanchez is lucky if he does not have to fight Sherk and Griffin.

Does not change the fact that his pace slowed completely down in the third. Broken hand does not ruin cardio...

BJ would dismantle Sanchez right now. Kenflo would obliterate the new Sanchez when they are even weight' date=' and a lot of other men at 155 would handle him. I think Sanchez is lucky if he does not have to fight Sherk and Griffin.[/quote']

Yes, a broken hand might not affect cardio directly, but I might have made him change his game plan which could have affected it. Not saying it did for sure but its a possibility.

I agree that the people you named would beat him though. I see Guida winning a UD

Yes' date=' a broken hand might not affect cardio directly, but I might have made him change his game plan which could have affected it. Not saying it did for sure but its a possibility.

I agree that the people you named would beat him though. I see Guida winning a UD[/quote']

Well, if the weight cut affects him again like it did last time, Guida will wear him down to nothing. Seriously, Sanchez needs to make a statement soon, because he is supposedly looking for a title shot, and I would not give him a title shot after these two terrible Ws.

Make him beat Sherk for a title shot. That is fair LOL!

I’m really looking forward to this match up actually. What made Sanchez cool to watch in the early days was his ground game and Guida won’t give him the choice to keep it on his feet. I hate the fact that the likes of Sanchez, Stevenson and Kos just want to stand and strike these days. Regardless, I think Sanchez has the edge on Guida wherever this fight goes. As for his cardio, you would think he’s got a handle on the cut now. I don't think Sanchez is overrated, people just like to hate on him and it builds hype.

I think Sanchez is a better more well rounded fighter. Since he is coming down from 170 he should be able to deal with Guida's strength and wrestling take downs. I think Sanchez is gonna win a UD via sprawl and brawl tactics. Possibly a guillotine choke to finish Clay. Does anyone actually think that Clay's previous strategy of pure wrestling can work against Sanchez? Maybe, but I hope not lol.

Archived