Our Sports image. Fighter respect at end of bouts.

pmf33

Firstly before I make my point let me state that I was a fan of Matt Hamill before last nights event (UFC96) but what unfolded after his stunning KO of Munoz left me feeling shocked, sickened and worried about what his actions convey to people about the nature of the sport that we love. The sport of MMA. I make the following observations as a fighter myself where I have competed both in MMA and before that in Muay Thai. I am a huge fan of this sport and by no means am I trying to darken its image but some truths have to be told. Mark Hamill's actions are the perfect opportunity for the UFC and other legitimate MMA organisations to further reinforce the good/clean image that they have been trying to promote for the past few years and try to prove to the public that MMA athletes are sportsmen and not mindless thugs who want to win without any disregard for our fellow opponents safety. This sports image has come a long way in the past few years, but the fact is it can still come a lot further, and by further improving its image we will reduce the number of detractors, make the sport more appealing to larger numbers of the general public and ensure the sport has a more successful long term future. Thankfully it looks as if Mark Munoz will be ok, however if he had sustained a serious life threatening injury last night which is something that could easily happen with such a devastating blow, it would have been not only a terrible tragedy but also would have displayed a very bad picture indeed to the viewing public about the nature of some of the sports participants. Matt could easily have shown some respect and firstly ensured that his opponent left the octagon healthy before completely losing the plot and celebrating a win without any regard what so ever about his opponents condition. We all want to win, its what drives us and to celebrate is something all competing sportsmen are entitled to do. However there is the an appropriate time for celebration and that moment was not it. It's time for the UFC to try and improve fighter etiquette with regard to these situations. The last thing we need is for the general public to get the wrong impression about our sport and its athletes. The first thing I learned about martial arts when i first took it up some years ago was the lesson of respect. Lets not forget that lesson. We can strive to win and still show compassion and respect. The future of the sport demands it!

First of all: I think neither as a fan nor as a practitioner of Martial Arts it is my job to worry about perfecting the image of the sport. The UFC has already done a great job of making it presentable. It is not my wish for it to get any more fake than the fighters "talking us through the action on the big screen", remebering to wear their sponsors shirt when they get their arms raised and make some crowd-pleasing statements during the pre-fight interviews. If somebody is so happy to have won that he doesn't remember to care for the guy that took money, hoping to do the same thing to him - let him, I say. As long as mean-spirited [swearword of choice] like Junie Browning can act out on TUF and still be fighting in the UFC, I think your crticism is also aimed way to high for the moment.

Firstly before I make my point let me state that I was a fan of Matt Hamill before last nights event (UFC96) but what unfolded after his stunning KO of Munoz left me feeling shocked' date=' sickened and worried about what his actions convey to people about the nature of the sport that we love. The sport of MMA. I make the following observations as a fighter myself where I have competed both in MMA and before that in Muay Thai. I am a huge fan of this sport and by no means am I trying to darken its image but some truths have to be told. Mark Hamill's actions are the perfect opportunity for the UFC and other legitimate MMA organisations to further reinforce the good/clean image that they have been trying to promote for the past few years and try to prove to the public that MMA athletes are sportsmen and not mindless thugs who want to win without any disregard for our fellow opponents safety. This sports image has come a long way in the past few years, but the fact is it can still come a lot further, and by further improving its image we will reduce the number of detractors, make the sport more appealing to larger numbers of the general public and ensure the sport has a more successful long term future. Thankfully it looks as if Mark Munoz will be ok, however if he had sustained a serious life threatening injury last night which is something that could easily happen with such a devastating blow, it would have been not only a terrible tragedy but also would have displayed a very bad picture indeed to the viewing public about the nature of some of the sports participants. Matt could easily have shown some respect and firstly ensured that his opponent left the octagon healthy before completely losing the plot and celebrating a win without any regard what so ever about his opponents condition. We all want to win, its what drives us and to celebrate is something all competing sportsmen are entitled to do. However there is the an appropriate time for celebration and that moment was not it. It's time for the UFC to try and improve fighter etiquette with regard to these situations. The last thing we need is for the general public to get the wrong impression about our sport and its athletes. The first thing I learned about martial arts when i first took it up some years ago was the lesson of respect. Lets not forget that lesson. We can strive to win and still show compassion and respect. The future of the sport demands it![/quote']

If that sh*t bothers you maybe you need to take up watching NINJA WARRIOR

I'm all for respecting whomever you fight, however in the brief moment after victory you can hardly expect someone to keep their excitement bottled infront of their home state fans. He apologized for his actions and obviously didn't realize how badly Munoz was hurt, and even if he did, you can't blame the guy for having a brief lapse of judgement, he did just kick the crap out of someone.

i also think matt (not mark)was just reacting the way most fighters do in the event of a ko, he did nothing wrong and i am sure he was very concerned about munoz,i hope you take another look at the end of this fight and still remain a hamill fan, in most cases in the event of a ko the ref wont let the other fighter anywhere near the ko victim, this was a huge win in a huge way for hamill against a fighter with as strong a wrestling pedigree as hamill,he was just caught up n the moment

i also think matt (not mark)was just reacting the way most fighters do in the event of a ko' date=' he did nothing wrong and i am sure he was very concerned about munoz,i hope you take another look at the end of this fight and still remain a hamill fan, in most cases in the event of a ko the ref wont let the other fighter anywhere near the ko victim, this was a huge win in a huge way for hamill against a fighter with as strong a wrestling pedigree as hamill,he was just caught up n the moment[/quote']

I agree, not a big deal.

i think the UFC clearly goes out of its way to make their guys pretend to respect each other. It's hard to remember the last time a fighter didn't say the decision was legit even when it clearly wasn't. Case in point, Rampage v Griffin. There is no way he wasn't forced to say forrest won fairly.

WHo the hell's Mark Hamill? Haha. Stop complaining he was happy to win in his home town and Munoz will be OK

Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker isnt he? I am not sure on this... but I thought that is who he was. He is joining the UFC along with Yoda and Vader to start the Force division. Should be exciting.

Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker isnt he? I am not sure on this... but I thought that is who he was. He is joining the UFC along with Yoda and Vader to start the Force division. Should be exciting.

I read about this months ago. I cant believe they are actually starting to put it in writing. Im soooooooooo excited!!!!!!!

If Rashad got in my face like that he would be missing teeth.

Matt Hamill? Overreaction from hypocrites. Nobody comes to the forum to make one complaining post unless they have an agenda. These are usually opposers of the sport.

Its too bad Munoz got kicked in the head, not really. Hes a goddamn fighter who signed a contract and an agreement, he knows what can happen in an MMA match.

lol........mark hamill ha ha, sorry for the typo my jedi skills were not quite what they should have been after staying up till 6am this side of the pond when the event finished, excuse my un jedi like performance while writing the original post lol. Anyway some good points in the replies and i appreciate the effort to comment on my post. Although the opinions do differ from mine i respect your points of view. As for me being a detractor to the sport as one reply said, well thats complete nonsense, I did explain my own background and for the majority of people I'm sure they will realise I meant the observation with all due respect. Like everyone here I love the sport, I've just joined and look forward to typing up some more of my thoughts in the future. On another point of controversy during the event I thought the referees performance in the pete sell matt brown fight was quite shocking and needs looked at quite seriously. Thanks again for the input

Archived