Advice for training in MMA

MMA_Fight3r

• 2 weeks later...

if you want to try a something different. make a circle with a radius of a straight line front stance, as you would snake stepping. walk around it using monkey or scissor stepping. once you can go forward, backward, counter&clockwise. get a couple of 1-2 gal containers(jars?) that you can grab the tops with your fingers like using tiger claw. add this to the walking, and put a cup water a week in them. when they are full start adding sand. you could even use about 8 bricks/ stone blocks on the circle to train balance.

if you want to try a something different. make a circle with a radius of a straight line front stance' date=' as you would snake stepping. walk around it using monkey or scissor stepping. once you can go forward, backward, counter&clockwise. get a couple of 1-2 gal containers(jars?) that you can grab the tops with your fingers like using tiger claw. add this to the walking, and put a cup water a week in them. when they are full start adding sand. you could even use about 8 bricks/ stone blocks on the circle to train balance.[/quote']

................................................................????

Um I think he wants to learn techniques that will actually help him win in a MMA match or BJJ. Something tells me this will not be a solid technique to learn, thus would be not be a solid use of time.

If you are doing Gi BJJ then you could try learning some Judo. It will help getting your opponent down and give you a solid base. Also, wrestling will build your strength, cardio, and quickness, which will help you tremendously. Another thing to add to this, which may sound useless, is intense stretching (if you are doing no gi bjj) because this will help you maintain control of guard and defend against the mount, and side control. Yoga is pretty helpful for this (I told you that you wouldnt take that last one seriously, but it is one of the most underrated things).

I take a few classes in BJJ and karate too, but I found that reading helps. I bought BJ Penn's book as well as a book called "Training for Warriors". They both are worth their weight in gold. They each cover technique, stamina training, dieting, and cutting weight. You get everything for 25 bucks a pop.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Boxing,Kickboxing/Muay Tai for the standup.

Wrestling,judo and BJJ for the ground.

Strong cardio/stamina excersize to improve your bodies ability to withstand the rigors of a match.

Strength training doesn't take alot of info.Use proper form when lifting,eat right,work upper body one day and lower body the next and don't push yourself to hard.You won't get ripped in a week so senseless putting on way more weight than you can lift easily

Basic footwork is a great place to start that doesn't require paid classes.The ability to move around quickly but still remain in a balanced position is a major plus.Any sport that requires you to avoid another player IE:football,basketball...hell even dodgeball can improve your agility.

You can also look around your area for pure MMA training facilities instead of enrolling in multiple classes.Until recently there wasn't many but in last couple years more and more are popping up.The majority will work all of the things I mentioned above.I help train people at our local camp and we focus on multiple facets of MMA....

Cardio,flexability,BJJ,wrestling,boxing/kickboxing/Muay Tai.

Every session is a diferent aspect.Nothing two days in a row but we have the weeks itenerary planned so you can plan to be there on days that the areas you are weaker in is what we will be focusing on.

................................................................????

Um I think he wants to learn techniques that will actually help him win in a MMA match or BJJ. Something tells me this will not be a solid technique to learn' date=' thus would be not be a solid use of time.

If you are doing Gi BJJ then you could try learning some Judo. It will help getting your opponent down and give you a solid base. Also, wrestling will build your strength, cardio, and quickness, which will help you tremendously. Another thing to add to this, which may sound useless, is intense stretching (if you are doing no gi bjj) because this will help you maintain control of guard and defend against the mount, and side control. Yoga is pretty helpful for this (I told you that you wouldnt take that last one seriously, but it is one of the most underrated things).[/quote']

This is very good advise and was exactly what I was going to say dammit LOL

I train BJJ myself and before we even start we do at least 30 minutes of advanced streching and flexiblity training, most of the time its more!!. This is very useful for BJJ and MMA for takedown defense and submission defense. It gives you a bit of an edge because a lot of people overlook it or just plain don't think about it.

BJ Penn is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.....that dude is made of rubber!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

wrestling is good and so is kickboxking but if u like to kickbox try not to throw high leg kicks unless ur good at them cause if they catch ur leg thats ur in trouble wrestling for easy take down u wont to fake a punk and go for a single or double leg take down watch knees or uppercuts when comeing in

Archived