Anderson Silva Overrated?

d4dubatl

It might sound like blasphemy but to call the guy the best pound for pound might be a stretch. I think to be pound for pound u would need to fight in a division with guys more comparable in size right? Rogan says he walks around 225 and Henderson said before their fight he s way bigger MW than him and he held a belt LH and fought Rampage 5 rounds. What do you think?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It might sound like blasphemy but to call the guy the best pound for pound might be a stretch. I think to be pound for pound u would need to fight in a division with guys more comparable in size right? Rogan says he walks around 225 and Henderson said before their fight he s way bigger MW than him and he held a belt LH and fought Rampage 5 rounds. What do you think?

Anderson is right up there with the best four fighters in the world. Everyone can argue the order all they want.

No, he is not over rated.

NOoo. thats not it at all bro. Best P4P has nothing to do with size or weight class. he does walk around at around 220 but if u can drop down and dominate, why wouldnt u? He would do well in LHW too.

Not saying he wouldn t do well i think he d mess up almost everyone in there. I just think he should be there before u put him the best pound for pound prove it Fedor walks at 230 fights HW and Wandi used to be a LHW champ and he walks around 208. I think he should fight in his own weight class before everyone puts him number one.

Not saying he wouldn t do well i think he d mess up almost everyone in there. I just think he should be there before u put him the best pound for pound prove it Fedor walks at 230 fights HW and Wandi used to be a LHW champ and he walks around 208. I think he should fight in his own weight class before everyone puts him number one.

There is no point, he will not challenge for the Title as long as his good friend and training partner Lyoto Machida still fights in the division.

And if he loses well Anderson want to fight Rashad to avenge his boys lose doubt seriously. Not saying Machida cant win its a toss up to me. Top 2 LHW well be fighting though and who s this guy Anderson is fighting another whatever mw he outweighs by alot and people will act like he s the greatest.

And if he loses well Anderson want to fight Rashad to avenge his boys lose doubt seriously. Not saying Machida cant win its a toss up to me. Top 2 LHW well be fighting though and who s this guy Anderson is fighting another whatever mw he outweighs by alot and people will act like he s the greatest.

Ummm just about everyone in every weight class cuts to try and get a weight advantage.

Anderson is a great fighter, he has been consistently good for an extended period of time.

How can he not be one of the top pound for pound fighters? He's literally cleaned out most of the top competition in his division...that's gotta count for something...I mean if he's not one of the top 5 pound for pound fighters because of his size then neither is GSP

I could be wrong on this, but doesn't "pound for pound" mean that if everyone was equal size? In weight lifting, pound for pound is refered to as a ratio. Size/strength. Of course a 150lb guy cant bench more then a 350lb guy in competition, however pound for pound the 150lb guy CAN be stronger, pound for pound. I dont belive any fighter should have to fight multiple weight classes to be the best "pound for pound". If that were the case, GSP vs Fedor? If they were the same size, im going with GSP. I belive he is a better fighter.

I could be wrong on this' date=' but doesn't "pound for pound" mean that if everyone was equal size? In weight lifting, pound for pound is refered to as a ratio. Size/strength. Of course a 150lb guy cant bench more then a 350lb guy in competition, however pound for pound the 150lb guy CAN be stronger, pound for pound. I dont belive any fighter should have to fight multiple weight classes to be the best "pound for pound". If that were the case, GSP vs Fedor? If they were the same size, im going with GSP. I belive he is a better fighter.[/quote']

That's exactly what it means. :)

Hes not overratted because theres nothing bad to go off of. I think in about a years time to two years, after he fights Lites, Marquart again, hendo again, and Wandy at 185, maybe even Maia too, if he steemrolls them THEN there will be no doubt that he is the king and pound for pound the best in the world

So with this rational, Brock could never be a P4P king. Even if he never loses again and beats everyone in the world. Not saying he is, or the he will, just making a point. Weight cutting is a part of the sport.

Pound for pound means you are the best fighter at what whatever class/division your in, compaired to you competition. If Rashad went on to beat Machida, then beat Rampage, both fairly easy, he would probably be considered " pound for pound" the best. He would have demolished the competition, faced tougher apponents then both GSP and Silva, and is at the top of the world in his division. Pound for pound doesnt actually mean a pound of body weight, it is a way of braking down a sport and a player/fighter's ability to dominate their class

No

Just to add to what G said..... U do realize that Wandi just dropped down to MW(which is 185) right?

Just thought u should know that

Pound for pound means you are the best fighter at what whatever class/division your in' date=' compaired to you competition. If Rashad went on to beat Machida, then beat Rampage, both fairly easy, he would probably be considered " pound for pound" the best. He would have demolished the competition, faced tougher apponents then both GSP and Silva, and is at the top of the world in his division. Pound for pound doesnt actually mean a pound of body weight, it is a way of braking down a sport and a player/fighter's ability to dominate their class[/quote']

No, sorry that's not it.

If you take an average(not one of the best) UFC fighter and put him in a division with people who have no martial arts training at all he would rule that division and crush everybody but since he's really just an average fighter he would not be considered one of the best pund4pund in the world.

P4P means that if you imagine that BJ and Fedor were the same weight and BJ would win in a fight between them then you would consider BJ to be better p4p than Fedor.

No' date=' sorry that's not it.

If you take an average(not one of the best) UFC fighter and put him in a division with people who have no martial arts training at all he would rule that division and crush everybody but since he's really just an average fighter he would not be considered one of the best pund4pund in the world.

P4P means that if you imagine that BJ and Fedor were the same weight and BJ would win in a fight between them then you would consider BJ to be better p4p than Fedor.[/quote']

No, Im sorry but thats EXACTLY it....we are not talking aboiut putting an average fighter in a class, I dont know where that came from. When I say "dominate their class" I assuming that we are all talking about the UFC, because thats the highest level of competition in the world....take that in consideration on what I said and thats what pound for pound means

No' date=' Im sorry but thats EXACTLY it....we are not talking aboiut putting an average fighter in a class, I dont know where that came from. When I say "dominate their class" I assuming that we are all talking about the UFC, because thats the highest level of competition in the world....take that in consideration on what I said and thats what pound for pound means[/quote']

Since it's just an expression it's hard to prove who's right or wrong but in this case at leased wiki* is on my side and probably(from the discussions I've seen here) most people on this forum.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_for_pound

The ad for UFC 97 already declares him as the best fighter in the world. Watch it. Laugh. When I hear crap like that I want to facepalm. Hes definitely one of the best' date=' but come on.[/quote']

If you close your eyes and imagine Fedor doesn't exist, maybe he wont... :)

No, not over rated at all

On Fedor being pound for pound the best, Im with Dana. You cant call him the best until he comes to the best organization and fights the best fighters here. Although he MAY be the best, there is no physical evidence to show it. Who know, I hate Brock with a passion but he could just as easy KO him and everyone is wrong.

If some player plays in the SEL in Sweden (pro hockey league) or a guy scores 100 goals in a season, are they the best pound for pound player or team in the world? Fukc no, because the NHL is the highest level of competition, and until they prove they can hang with them they are not the best. Same as if the Toronto Argonauts went 16-0 and won the Gray Cup, are they best? God no, NFL is a higher league....

I dont care if people rip me for the whole Fedor thing either lol

On Fedor being pound for pound the best' date=' Im with Dana. You cant call him the best until he comes to the best organization and fights the best fighters here. Although he MAY be the best, there is no physical evidence to show it. Who know, I hate Brock with a passion but he could just as easy KO him and everyone is wrong.

If some player plays in the SEL in Sweden (pro hockey league) or a guy scores 100 goals in a season, are they the best pound for pound player or team in the world? Fukc no, because the NHL is the highest level of competition, and until they prove they can hang with them they are not the best. Same as if the Toronto Argonauts went 16-0 and won the Gray Cup, are they best? God no, NFL is a higher league....

I dont care if people rip me for the whole Fedor thing either lol[/quote']

I like Fedor and think of him as one of the best but you make a very valid arguement

When Fedor was in Pride' date=' they had the better HW division then the UFC.

Tim, and AA were tops in the UFC HW division.

You can make an argument that for a while he did not fight top HW's but to say he never did is just wrong.[/quote']

Oh I know your %100 correct. But fighters change, they can get better, they can get faster, slower, older, anything can happen. My argument is talking about RIGHT NOW in the world, so thats why I feel that way.

Say if this summer, Fedor comes to UFC, but looses 3-4 fights in a row (obviously wont happen but lets just say), this doesnt mean that years down the road he wouldnt be known as one of the best pound for pounders. The Fedor from 2000-2008 would be, but not the 2009-present. Thats just how I look at it, might be different, might be wrong but meh

Oh I know your %100 correct. But fighters change' date=' they can get better, they can get faster, slower, older, anything can happen. My argument is talking about RIGHT NOW in the world, so thats why I feel that way.

Say if this summer, Fedor comes to UFC, but looses 3-4 fights in a row (obviously wont happen but lets just say), this doesnt mean that years down the road he wouldnt be known as one of the best pound for pounders. The Fedor from 2000-2008 would be, but not the [b']2009-present.[/b] Thats just how I look at it, might be different, might be wrong but meh

Sorry man. It is still 2009 so it is the present....lol

Just giving you a hard time.

His last two fights were against two former UFC champs. Will he fight Barnnet next?

Where will he fight next? Who knows, but I think he is the best in the world till someone beats him. Just another opinion though.

in my opinion Marquardt getting a rematch equals end of a. silva nut hugging. a. silva is a striking GOD, but Marquardt is just as good on his feet and better on the ground. for those who don't know marquardt is an excellent black belt (better than a. silva) and for proof you can probably still find him vs maia in a BJJ bout (no gi) on YouTube

in my opinion Marquardt getting a rematch equals end of a. silva nut hugging. a. silva is a striking GOD' date=' [b']but Marquardt is just as good on his feet [/b]and better on the ground. for those who don't know marquardt is an excellent black belt (better than a. silva) and for proof you can probably still find him vs maia in a BJJ bout (no gi) on YouTube

Now, I am a huge fan of Nate's, but that is just not true. If he was better all around then Silva.....well.....

If you're a fan of Marquardt then you'd know that he fought like butt in his first fight against Anderson. And he's even better than he was before. Hopefully he'll get a rematch' date=' and I'll stand by what I said, and see what happens.[/quote']

Standing with Silva would be the worst mistake of his life. Again.

If you're a fan of Marquardt then you'd know that he fought like butt in his first fight against Anderson. And he's even better than he was before. Hopefully he'll get a rematch' date=' and I'll stand by what I said, and see what happens.[/quote']

With all due respect, stand beside it all you like. Doesn't make it true.

Nate is a great guy. I have met him more then once. Hung out with his girl, and Rashads for a while after some fights, then Nate.

Great guy. I am a huge fan. I hope he does win. I just will not say he is as good of a striker as Anderson. That is just out right crazy.

With all due respect' date=' stand beside it all you like. Doesn't make it true.

Nate is a great guy. I have met him more then once. Hung out with his girl, and Rashads for a while after some fights, then Nate.

Great guy. I am a huge fan. I hope he does win. I just will not say he is as good of a striker as Anderson. That is just out right crazy.[/quote']

He isn't a better striker than Anderson but he can win that fight. He is better at everything else than Anderson and he should be able to hold his own long enough to take silva down, where he will destroy him. Silva is overrated on the ground, and marquardt is a way more complete fighter. I think he has a real chance. I'd say 50/50. Silva will lose eventually. He's like Lidell was, winning against the same fighters over and over and beating the odd can. False streak.

He isn't a better striker than Anderson but he can win that fight. He is better at everything else than Anderson and he should be able to hold his own long enough to take silva down' date=' where he will destroy him. Silva is overrated on the ground, and marquardt is a way more complete fighter. I think he has a real chance. I'd say 50/50. Silva will lose eventually. He's like Lidell was, winning against the same fighters over and over and beating the odd can. False streak.[/quote']

Again, in MMA anything can happen. Nate is a great fighter.

I do not think Anderson's ground game is over rated. In fact I think it is under rated.

To say that Anderson's is a false streak is just hating.

I will not get in to this with you again. You will not listen any way.

Again' date=' in MMA anything can happen. Nate is a great fighter.

I do not think Anderson's ground game is over rated. In fact I think it is under rated.

To say that Anderson's is a false streak is just hating.

I will not get in to this with you again. You will not listen any way.[/quote']

hahaha. the streak isn't false, it's just not what it seems. Lutter put him in whatever position he wanted until he gassed out. I don't think he's a legit BJJ blackbelt. Marquardt will be able to maintain top position and punish him.

i am not a fan of anderson ' date=' yes he has fought some really good fighters however, i have never seen him tested.....

i would like to see him fight Travis Lutter again[/quote']

Does anyone agree with me on this?

Hes not overratted because theres nothing bad to go off of. I think in about a years time to two years' date=' after he fights Lites, Marquart again, hendo again, and Wandy at 185, maybe even Maia too, if he steemrolls them THEN there will be no doubt that he is the king and pound for pound the best in the world[/quote']

Wow! A year or two is some feat. If he did all that, he would be superman. TODAY, its Silva, GSP, or Fedor.

Archived