Need some help convincing

MMAsskicker

First of all im new here, but I've been watching this sport for a while now and have lately really really been interested in starting to train and enter this sport

the problem is i'm only 15 and need some help convincing my mother to let me.

She thinks I'm going to die or break something and be out of sports for good

So does anyone have any facts of statements I can use to convince my mom that mma is safer than it sounds?

Do this:

Go to the site MMAJUNKIE.com

Go to the search bar then click on it and type ASK THE DOC

-This is an informative doctor who will tell you the dangers of this sport

click on any of the ASK THE DOC articles and have fun reading. Make sure they are relevant though to what you are looking for. A particular one that is very useful is the one talking about New York and how MMA should be sanctioned there.

I hope this helps.

Guys, come on. He is 15 for crying out loud.

Listen to your mom, but try to make a good case. Does she object to you playing football?

People get hurt in that all the time. Martial Arts is not just about beating people up. It is a discipline. Good for you in many ways.

As the father of a 17 year old' date=' I had to say something.[/quote']

I say that cuz i have a 12 yr old. He's got a great sense of humor.

example: he's about 8-9 we tell him to do something small and in his best dr evil voice he says "ya, i'm not a real hands on evil genius"

i howled.

Does your mother have a problem with you training?

I'm 20 and dude it ain't as easy as you'd like to think, I know a couple of guys who have high ego's and get their **** kicked, 1 of the dangers in some sports is a **** with a big ego.

do what your mother tells you( to a certain extent).

I say that cuz i have a 12 yr old. He's got a great sense of humor.

example: he's about 8-9 we tell him to do something small and in his best dr evil voice he says "ya' date=' i'm not a real hands on evil genius"

i howled.[/quote']

This is not the place to be making jokes on the behavior of a child to their parents.

Maybe his mother would not appreciate the "humor" same as you.

First of all im new here' date=' but I've been watching this sport for a while now and have lately really really been interested in starting to train and enter this sport

the problem is i'm only 15 and need some help convincing my mother to let me.

She thinks I'm going to die or break something and be out of sports for good

So does anyone have any facts of statements I can use to convince my mom that mma is safer than it sounds?[/quote']

Listen kid if your wanting some serious advise (which isnt my usual forte) then calmly and collectively sit down and discuss your mothers fears with her, you no doubt have most of the information you need by now having looked into the sport enough to want to get involved. All contact sports carry an element of risk but this should be weighed up against the benefits discipline, fitness, a goal in life etc etc.

Hope this helps and i genuinely wish you well in your endevours, now i'm off to post my usual sarky and unhelpful comments elsewhere.

Best of luck

Listen kid if your wanting some serious advise (which isnt my usual forte) then calmly and collectively sit down and discuss your mothers fears with her' date=' you no doubt have most of the information you need by now having looked into the sport enough to want to get involved. All contact sports carry an element of risk but this should be weighed up against the benefits discipline, fitness, a goal in life etc etc.

Hope this helps and i genuinely wish you well in your endevours, now i'm off to post my usual sarky and unhelpful comments elsewhere.

Best of luck[/quote']

LOL, see that is good advise.

You yanks are always so serious' date=' learn to smile learn to dance G_Row[/quote']

And I smile all the time. Not much of a dancer though.

And being called a "yank" is strange to me. I am a Southern boy. Round these parts "yanks" are northerners.

This is not the place to be making jokes on the behavior of a child to their parents.

Maybe his mother would not appreciate the "humor" same as you.

Wow, do I feel like I'm being chastised here. G, never once did I give any sort of poor advice on this thread. As a matter of fact, I gave no advice positive or negative. I simply pointed out that some of the OTHER members who DID make jokes made them innocently and I have faith that a fifteen year old who is intelligent enough to be interested in MMA and has the intelligence to post concerns on a forum also might be just be able to comprehend when a member is making a joke. Perhaps I am wrong. Who knows.

I'm 14 and I had the same conversation with my mother before she agreed that I could start heading in the direction of the UFC. First, ask her why she doesn't want you to, mention there has only been like 2 or 3 deaths for like the last 50 years, tell her it isn't just about going out to kick someones ... and that the fight is in a controlled environment (It helps if she hasn't been watching UFC with you and seeing some of those vicious knockouts via knee or elbow to the face xD) also you yourself should be thinking about how you are going to train, and when you want to go into the UFC in relation to this.

Simply don't start out with "I wanna be in the UFC"- heart attack city for any unsuspecting parent.

Ask to join a gym that teaches martial arts. Tell her the truth- martial arts are a great way to stay in shape, and the instructors encourage discipline and a healthy lifestyle.

Then offer to pay for part of it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been watching mma for 10 + ,on rare occasions hardly anybody breaks and bones due to the fact that fighters in mma are not out to permantly hurt anyone on purpose ,though accident can happen.Mma is a safer sport than boxing,thats a fact ,do some research.I have a 15 year old son myself that I teach and train and have no problem having him be invovled in mma.Good luck,and hope this will help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well 15 is a little young dont you think? Also, most if not all of the fighters are black belts in one or more arts, I am going to assume you dont have these at 15.

Also, to get licensed you need to be 21...but I could be wrong about this.

you have a few years to train before you are going to be ready, by then you can decide for yourself.

dont pay more than you have to www.dealsniffer.net

Archived