Hatin' on Wrestling

shawnb-1

I see a lot of WWE hatin' going on in the mma world. One thing I think a lot of us are forgetting is it is for the kids. When I see how pumped up my little five year old nephew gets over Rey Mysterio, it's really hard to hate. I took my son a couple years back to a live show of smackdown and I was super dad. Gotta remember it is supposed to be entertainment, and they do a good job with the costumes, pyro, outrageous story lines..ect. Hell I loved Hulk Hogan as a kid. I can't grow up and hate something I watched every saturday morning. Me and my brother had the dolls the ring....played with it all the time. Now my nephew has inherited them (don't know how my bro ended up with em all). Bottom line is as a grown up I love MMA, but I still get all the kids together for wrestlemania and they have a blast, which puts a smile on my face. These guys are basically acting stuntmen, and some of the stuff is difficult, dangerous and deserves some credit. Just a little rant. Cheers

I see a lot of WWE hatin' going on in the mma world. One thing I think a lot of us are forgetting is it is for the kids. When I see how pumped up my little five year old nephew gets over Rey Mysterio' date=' it's really hard to hate. I took my son a couple years back to a live show of smackdown and I was super dad. Gotta remember it is supposed to be entertainment, and they do a good job with the costumes, pyro, outrageous story lines..ect. Hell I loved Hulk Hogan as a kid. I can't grow up and hate something I watched every saturday morning. Me and my brother had the dolls the ring....played with it all the time. Now my nephew has inherited them (don't know how my bro ended up with em all). Bottom line is as a grown up I love MMA, but I still get all the kids together for wrestlemania and they have a blast, which puts a smile on my face. These guys are basically acting stuntmen, and some of the stuff is difficult, dangerous and deserves some credit. Just a little rant. Cheers[/quote']

My only peeve with the WWE are its hardcore rabid adult fans, who practically go insane if you even suggest that its not "real."

exactly... and i also dont like the mcmahon family for what it seems like in my eyes a "i dont care about the wrestlers" mindstate. of course this is just my opinion. but as a child i loved wrestling... went to the rialto theatre in downtown joliet to watch hulk hogan slam andre the giant in WM3 on a movie screen. some of my faves ricky the dragon steamboat, andre the giant, jesse the body ventura. jimmy superfly snuka.. i can share things with my son and we can watch the old fights and the new fights together... his faves like jeff hardy , r truth, jtg, cena... we can watch this and i enjoy it as a father... but i still hate that darn brock lesnar and i still hate fans that deny that it is fake.

I was a big wrestling fan when I was a kid and even then I knew it wasn't real. The thing to remember about it is that it's "entertainment". I'm getting ready to log off here and watch Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer on the TV series "24". I think this is season 7, and it's super far fetched, wayyyyy out of control unrealistic, and I love every minute of it! Wrestling has it's place in the world. The money it generates is proof of that.

See now I have a wayyyyy different point of view. lol

I understand that wrestling is a business and entertainment. It was the reason I started wresting in grade school( and i wrestled through HS)

But as an adult, I do notlike it and think that it is very fake and the people involved are the same. Now my son isnt old enough to get exited about stuff like this.

I do understand what ur saying tho. Its like watching cartoons vs a good action movie. I get that. I would much rather watch cartoons with my son and have him enjoy it rather than watching a movie I want to see.

BUT. I also believe that it is rediculous for tehm to expect us to take them seriously when they make that move from wrestling to MMA. There is a place for pro wrestlers and there is a place for fighters. Granted people like Brock and Bobby arent as young as they once were and it wasnt as accessable to them as it is to most fighters today. So I will give them a break and asI said before, judge them based on their skills and not their affiliation with wrestling.

and Im just not a fan of WWE. lol. Thats probably my main problem. Its hard for me to have an unbiased opinion with something that I dislike so much.

I get what you're saying Cee' date=' I can't watch it anymore either but my 10 yr old loves it.

GH makes a great point. The mortality rate of wrestlers is way too high. That needs to be fixed, pronto. I hope serious people are already working on it.[/quote']

It's mainly because they work so many days of the year, need so many drugs to combat the injuries and keep making the stunts bigger and grander without the prep and safety precautions hollywood has.

and i agree %100 about hardcore toothless redneck adult fans who think its real......wait they have childlike i.q's so its all good

The Junk Yard Dog:

Sylvester Ritter died on the 2nd June 1998 after falling asleep at the wheel of his car and crashing in to a tree on the way back from his daughters graduation ceremony.

At the time of his death he was45 years old.

Ravishing Rick Rude:

Richard Rood died on 20th April 1999 from an accidental drug overdose of mixed medications which caused his heart to fail. In 1994 he admitted to taking anabolic steroids to built muscle mass and relive joint pain.

At the time of his death he was 40 years old.

Owen Heart:

Owen Heart died on the 23rd May 1999 in front of a live crowd after his ring entrance went disastrously wrong. He was supposed to descent from the rafters of the arena to the ring as part of his Blue Blazer gimmick but the harness he was wearing released early causing him to fall 78 feet and he landed chest first on the ring ropes.

At the time of his death he was 34 years old.

Gorilla Monsoon:

Robert James Marella died on the 6th October 1999 from heart failure brought on by complications with diabetes.

At the time of his death he was 62 years old.

Yokozuna:

Rodney Anoia died from fluid in his lungs on the 23rd October 2000. It’s been widely reported that he died from a heart attack or heart failure.

At the time of his death he was 34 years old.

British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith:

David Smith died on the 18th May 2002 from a heart attack. It’s been reported that his past use of steroids played a part in his death.

At the time of his death he was 39 years old.

Mr. Perfect:

Curt Henning died on the 10th February 2003 from a cocaine overdose. Curts father said that a lethal combination of steroids and pain killers also contributed to his death.

At the time of his death he was 44 years old.

Miss Elizabeth:

Elizabeth Hulette died on the 1st May 2003 from a drug overdose. She was at the home of Lex Lugar the night she died. Lex was later charged with 14 drug possession counts.

At the time of her death she was 42 years old.

Classy Freddie Blassie:

Fred Blassie died on the 2nd June 2003 from heart failure.

At the time of his death he was 85 years old.

Legion Of Doom Hawk:

Michael Hegstrand died on the 19th October 2003 in his sleep from a heart attack. He was moving in to a new house with his wife when he felt tired and took a nap. A few hours later when his wife checked on him he was dead.

At the time of his death he was 45 years old.

Crash Holly:

Michael Lockwood died on the 6th November 2003 from choking on his own vomit or a drug overdose. He was found face down in a pool of vomit and blood at fellow wrestler Steven Richards house with an empty bottle of Carisoprodol lying next to him. It’s believed that he overdosed on over 90 of the pills.

At the time of his death he was 32 years old.

Former WWF president Jack Tunney:

Jack Tunney died on the 24th January 2004 from a heart attack. It’s interesting to note that no one from the WWE was at his funeral.

At the time of his death he was 69 years old.

Hercules:

Hercules Hernandes died on the 6th March 2004 in his sleep. The cause of his death is believed to be a heart attack.

At the time of his death he was 46 years old.

The Big Boss Man:

Ray Traylor died on the 22nd September 2004.The official cause of his death has never been disclosed but it’s been said that he died from a massive heart attack.

At the time of his death he was 41 years old.

The Body Donnas Skip:

Chris Candido died on the 28th April 2005 from complications after he had surgery to repair his broken ankle. A few days after the surgery he suffered a blood clot which killed him.

At the time of his death he was 33 years old.

Lord Alfred Hayes:

Alfred Hayes died on the 21st July 2005 after suffering a series of strokes.

At the time of his death he was 76 years old.

Eddie Guerrero:

Eddie Guerrero died on the 13th November 2005 of heart failure. He had trouble in his life with drug and alcohol addictions, and although he had been clean for years before he died his past excesses were a contributing factor in his death.

At the time of his death he was 38 years old.

Earthquake:

John Tenta died on the 7th June 2006 from cancer. He had bladder cancer and underwent chemotherapy but it didn’t go as hoped and the cancer spread to his lungs.

At the time of his death he was 42 years old.

Bam Bam Bigelow:

Scott Bigelow died on the 19th January 2007 from a drug overdose. The autopsy found toxic levels of cocaine and benzodiazepine in his body.

At the time of his death he was 45 years old.

Bad News Brown:

Allen Coage died on the 6th March 2007 of a heart attack. He was rushed to hospital complaining of chest pains.

At the time of his death he was 63 years old.

Sensational Queen Sherri:

Sherri Martel died on the 15th June 2007 from a drug overdose. Apparently the autopsy said there were more than a couple of drugs found in her system including hill billy cocaine.

At the time of her death she was 49 years old.

Chris Benoit:

Chris Benoit died on the 24th June 2007 by committing suicide. He hung himself after murdering his wife and son! It’s thought that he killed his wife and son on either Friday or Saturday then killed himself on Monday. An autopsy showed that Benoit had xanax, hydrocodone and an elevated level of testostrone in his system.

At the time of his death he was 40 years old.

Demolition Crush:

Brian Adams died on the 13th August 2007 from a suspected drug overdose. It’s not proven that he died from an overdose but all reports suggest that’s the most probable cause.

At the time of his death he was 44 years old.

Fabulous Moolah:

Lillian Ellison died on the 3rd November 2007 from complications after she had shoulder surgery.

At the time of her death she was 84 years old.

not to mention a few others that i know passed away like andre the giant and adrian adonis... and many more.

that was some research bro, so many heart attacks (cocaine and roids)

lotta people in the list i grew up with.

talking bout memories, my dad took me to see a live show at joe louis arena. i had my ricky steamboat sign. and i remember when the crowd started chanting F.U at rowdy rody and had to ask permission to swear along with everyone else. lol

I see a lot of WWE hatin' going on in the mma world. One thing I think a lot of us are forgetting is it is for the kids. When I see how pumped up my little five year old nephew gets over Rey Mysterio' date=' it's really hard to hate. I took my son a couple years back to a live show of smackdown and I was super dad. Gotta remember it is supposed to be entertainment, and they do a good job with the costumes, pyro, outrageous story lines..ect. Hell I loved Hulk Hogan as a kid. I can't grow up and hate something I watched every saturday morning. Me and my brother had the dolls the ring....played with it all the time. Now my nephew has inherited them (don't know how my bro ended up with em all). Bottom line is as a grown up I love MMA, but I still get all the kids together for wrestlemania and they have a blast, which puts a smile on my face. These guys are basically acting stuntmen, and some of the stuff is difficult, dangerous and deserves some credit. Just a little rant. Cheers[/quote']

Yeah my 3 year old son goes nuts for his favourites shortly before trying to spear his mother, which gives me a giggle i must admit

the saddest part of wrestling though is all the casualties... sooo many of them have passed away... i looked it up and i didnt even know half of them died.

Go Hard had a long list. Yesterday "Test" passed away as well.

Perhaps it's time to look at the business a little closer...

A big part of the problem with the industry is the the pressure to perform at such a high level each and every night. The stunts these guys are performing are outrageous and dangerous. So much so that the wear and tear it has taken on each of their bodies has started to show.

These guys perform these insane acts approximately 300 days a year. Their bodies are beat up, they are tired from traveling, driving, flying. They take prescription pain medication just to get through a match. After awhile, they become addicted as they would any other drug.

Steroids are a huge factor in the industry. Most of that is due to the certain image fans themselves have and expect from these entertainers.

I thought most of that would have been addressed when Benoit went on his tragic killing spree. Unfortunately I think it ended up being window dressing and having the company put up this false sense that they were actually testing these guys.

Unfortunately, this is not sport, this is entertainment and companies like the WWE do not have to answer to any regulatory commission or board.

Yeah, I enjoy watching wrestling...but not the WWE variety.

I prefer the local "indy" circuits. There are 2 groups in the area that I'm from and they're quite entertaining. Yes, I know full well that it's not real. As was stated earlier...these guys are stuntmen. I love to see some of the athletic ability that it takes to go non-stop for 10 minutes while trying to put on a good show for the fans and "NOT" hurt your opponent. I've met quite a few of the wrestlers and even go out to the after-party with one group whenever they're in town (IWA-MS).

My favorite wrestlers: The Undertaker, Mickie Knuckles, Tyler Black, Jimmy " Superfly" Snuka, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Matt & Jeff Hardy back when they first started...they got boring after the WWE split them up.

In the listing of wrestlers who have died, I'd like to add that Chris Benoit's wife that he killed used to be called "Woman" and she used to come out with Rick Flair back in the day.

I dont understand why they havent looked into this yet. I mean it really is the dirtiest company that is related to sports in the world. That and boxing is pretty dirty as well. I believe they should really get some whistle blowers or some government agents inside that company to see what is up. There is no way the stuff they do is fair to them or their bodies.

It's not because it got me weepin, it was just too damn long ;)

Nah, I think Pro-wrestling is some serious business because in the end it requires more of you then MMA.

Seriously these guys perform aerial, submission and wrestling stunts and 2/3 of it backfire bigtime it's also got the most toughest schedule ever.

If you think UFC is being unfair by getting some of their top fighters to perform in a fight like 4 times a year or whatever with Pro-wrestling... It's a whole other different story.

These guys surely do predetermined fights, but don't forget they also have preperations in order to do some of the stunts which is an even heavier ordeal including stretching, hard training which leads to high amounts of steroid usage (It happens.) and constant conversations of how and what.

It's going to burn you out physically and mentally, it's by far the only sport that people really have to wonder if entertainment should come at one's own expense.

I know also that a lot of people have died due to heart failure but if you think it's only steroids... Think again.

Maybe Vince McMahon is a cocaine dealer. Maybe that is why he travels all around so much, so he can make loot. he never seems to have problems paying for crazy light shows, paying 300 pound men on 1000000$ worth the roids, cocaine, fake drug tests, sports journalists and news reporters to focus on everything but the WWE/F when it comes to wrestlers dying... It really is kind of like a little conspiracy isnt it?

• 5 years later...

Archived