Affliction may counter program UFC 100

ricoj3323

I think if Affliction airs their third event on the same night as UFC 100 then it could be the end for Affliction. UFC 100 is going to have big numbers due to a very big marketing push, this is one of the worst things Affliction can do. I think some fighters wouldnt want to fight for Affliction if they counter-programmed UFC 100 because if Affliction folds then some Affliction fighters could end up with UFC. I could care less if Affliction has a event on July 11th because i know i will be watching UFC 100.

http://mmamania.com/2009/03/18/affliction-entertainment-in-talks-to-air-third-mma-event-opposite-ufc-100-on-july-11/

LMFAO! Who the hell does the marketing for Affliction? I mean jesus... I could do better then them if I was deaf, dumb, blind, mute, and had the IQ of a dog with severe brain damage... No offense to anyone who is any of the things I mentioned.

This is such a bad idea because Affliction is not very popular anyways. UFC if anything would be the guys who would try to make an event during Affliction so they could stop them from gaining momentum, it wont work the other way around

This is like a big dog (UFC) eating out of a bowl, and then a small dog (affliction) comes by and tries to eat from the same bowl at the same time. WTF do you think is going to happen? Can you say EPIC PHAILURE!?

i would think for sure it'd be free. and my reaction was, that's cool as hell. nothing wrong with some competition. i'm sure with fedor and a few more big names, some people would watch affliction, then catch ufc later, sounds good to me. it's all amusing, and at the same time, we get more fights, and a funny side-show to it all. like dc vs. marvel... wwf vs. nwo or whatever it was called...

Sorry to be a smug a hole' date=' but in the UK we will watch both. Affliction will be on one channel delayed-live so it is sunday night. UFC 100 will be on at like 4/5 am on the sunday morning.

And neither of them will be ppv.

I'm sorry.

Wait who am I kiddin, know I'm not! =p[/quote']

I'd love to see both, but I wouldn't pay for affliction even if the UFC was on. Fedor will probably win in the first round and it will be on Youtube in a hour.

Jbyrd

http://www.growhuge.com

I like watching both...but that is just stupid!

It's been proven time and again that the small dog will NEVER out-draw the big dog on a head to head basis. Not to mention that it's an epic milestone (UFC100) that they're going to try to overcome! As much as I enjoy watching Fedor fight...I'll skip Affliction if they try to counter the UFC....

It won't happen. There are also rumors of Mayweather coming out of retirement and fighting on July 11 as well. Mayweather has been quoted saying he wants to fight on HBO rather than a PPV for a tune up fight.

HBO just so happens already has that date booked for a "World Championship Boxing" event.

No offense to anyone but if I get to watch Fedor vs. Barnett, Ill watch affliction. Ive wanted to see this fight for awhile now. Barnett IMO has a good chance of being the one to beat Fedor. But Im pulling for Fedor.

UFC will still beat Affliction. Id probably buy both, watch UFC and record Affliction until Fedor fights(then id change over).

New developments in the story: Affliction COO Michael D. Cohen told Versus.com that no MMA promotion could be dumb enough to battle UFC 100

"I don?t think we are ever looking to go up against the UFC or anyone for that matter. We are certainly not looking to share the viewers or the audience that is our there. We would like a date to ourselves because, at the end of the day, we want the greatest number of people to be watching."

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/77571/?UserDef=true&catID=2175&tf=ariel_helwani.tpl

New developments in the story: Affliction COO Michael D. Cohen told Versus.com that no MMA promotion could be dumb enough to battle UFC 100

"I don?t think we are ever looking to go up against the UFC or anyone for that matter. We are certainly not looking to share the viewers or the audience that is our there. We would like a date to ourselves because' date=' at the end of the day, we want the greatest number of people to be watching."

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/77571/?UserDef=true&catID=2175&tf=ariel_helwani.tpl[/quote']

good info, thanks

Ha ha I've got all these promoters beat' date=' I plan to be doing Karaoke Live On My WebCam on the same night as ufc 100 and affliction. For Free!!! Top that.[/quote']

shawnb shoots, ....and SCORES! Good one.

By the way, sorry, but I'll be watching UFC 100. I'll get a sign language interpreter to assist me in asking the person that watches your show how it went :)

I hope they do it. That way Affliction will die and Dana can get Arlovski and Barnett back' date=' and maybe Fedor[/quote']

Someone (I believe it was rico) posted an article yesterday that pretty much squashed this rumor. After thinking about it though, in one way it's not a bad idea; a small dog that ordinarily gets little press takes on a big dog and suddenly becomes news just for trying. Maybe it would have had some people talking about it that otherwise wouldn't know who they were.

I'd like to defer to the lovely ashka on this one, since she works in marketing. What do you think of this theory?

Someone (I believe it was rico) posted an article yesterday that pretty much squashed this rumor. After thinking about it though' date=' in one way it's not a bad idea; a small dog that ordinarily gets little press takes on a big dog and suddenly becomes news just for trying. Maybe it would have had some people talking about it that otherwise wouldn't know who they were.

I'd like to defer to the lovely ashka on this one, since she works in marketing. What do you think of this theory?[/quote']

I think you are on the right track. Affliction are in the brand building phase, while UFC are in the power player seat, looking to retain market share. You can see that UFC just keep using their weight to try and keep the fans loyal by making sure they have something happening every time Affliction holds an event.

There was never any chance that Affliction really would try and go head to head with UFC 100, but it would definitely have been smart public relations to throw the rumour out there. As you can see, we're all talking about it.

I think you are on the right track. Affliction are in the brand building phase' date=' while UFC are in the power player seat, looking to retain market share. You can see that UFC just keep using their weight to try and keep the fans loyal by making sure they have something happening every time Affliction holds an event.

There was never any chance that Affliction really would try and go head to head with UFC 100, but it would definitely have been smart public relations to throw the rumour out there. As you can see, we're all talking about it.[/quote']

Thanks Doll

LMFAO! Who the hell does the marketing for Affliction? I mean jesus... I could do better then them if I was deaf' date=' dumb, blind, mute, and had the IQ of a dog with severe brain damage... No offense to anyone who is any of the things I mentioned.

This is such a bad idea because Affliction is not very popular anyways. UFC if anything would be the guys who would try to make an event during Affliction so they could stop them from gaining momentum, it wont work the other way around

This is like a big dog (UFC) eating out of a bowl, and then a small dog (affliction) comes by and tries to eat from the same bowl at the same time. WTF do you think is going to happen? Can you say EPIC PHAILURE!?[/quote']

Unless Affliction has Tim Sylvia vs Andre Arlovski on the card nobody will be watching.

It won't happen. There are also rumors of Mayweather coming out of retirement and fighting on July 11 as well. Mayweather has been quoted saying he wants to fight on HBO rather than a PPV for a tune up fight.

HBO just so happens already has that date booked for a "World Championship Boxing" event.

Who would he be fighting?

Dana recently commented on Affliction's plans

?How do I feel about them trying to counter-program UFC 100?. I love it. I ****ing love it. I love it. I don?t like these guys and I want to see them spend more of their t-shirt money. What they should be worrying about is ? they?ve already seen first hand that nobody gives a **** about Affliction MMA ? what they need to starting worrying about is nobody wants to wear their goofy ****ing clothes anymore either. The fad is over and they better start saving as much of that t-shirt money as they can.?

http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/2009/0323/396191/dana_white/index.shtml

LOL even dana believes it is funny. What a terrible idea that is though. Why wouldnt they do it a couple days before, or after, and make it a free show. Do they believe that a company few know the name of (except the people that somehow believe Fedor is the most popular fighter ever, which he is simply not) is going to beat the UFC by competeing with them at their most Prime and important event. Trump is an idiot that is all.

Archived