steven segal

sweetdeth

Ok the man can't act worth crap, but they still put him in movies. Why? Because he is a 7th Dan Aikido instructer who ran his own school. For those of you that are unaware 7th dan is 7th degree. Read some of Aikido's history, it founder had roots in Jujutsu, ,Kenjutsu and Kendo.

So are you seriously saying that a man with 7th degree skills in an art with close roots to ones used in mma stands no chance? Please, check out the guys resume on wikipedia.

**edit**

It was allegedly at the age of seven that Seagal first began studying martial arts under the direction of renowned ****ō-ryū karate master Fumio Demura and aikido under Rod Kobayashi, the President of the Western States Aikido Federation. He earned belts in aikido, karate, judo, and kendo and in his late teens, Seagal became part of Demura's Karate Demonstration Team and performed daily demonstrations in the former Japanese Village and Deer Park, in Southern California. In 1974, he was promoted by Kobayashi-sensei to shodan in Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido (a fact disputed by ex-wife Miyako Fujitani [below]). He was also reported (citation needed) as having trained in Mas Oyama's Kyokushin Kai karate do.

**from wikipedia**

ya, he's a p@ssy

Segal is horrible.

that is all.

you base this on.......?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1371089565366608769

the final knife technique is amazing, i am a huge seagal fan. not his acting, but his accomplishment as a martial artist. I took some aikido, my best friend was the sensei's live in trainee. He went on all the demonstration trips. It is a great art.

Thanks

i thought i'd post one more

yeah bro, i checked out the video's. bad **** for sure. his style is more self defense than mma though. i'm sure if he were in his prime and had time to prepare for mma, he'd be awesome. i would've loved to see it.

Steven Segal is awsome. Back in his prime though even with his skill we all know he was way outta shape for something like mma. His new movies suck but his old movies like Under Siege, Above The Law, and Out for Justice were great.

Steven Segal is the old best and Tony Jaa is the new. Bruce Lee takes em all hands down

you base this on.......?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1371089565366608769

the final knife technique is amazing' date=' i am a huge seagal fan. not his acting, but his accomplishment as a martial artist. I took some aikido, my best friend was the sensei's live in trainee. He went on all the demonstration trips. It is a great art.[/quote']

What is so great about beating up a little kid.

I remember a story, I don't know if it's only rumour, when Bruce and Chuck were on set together, there was a lot of talk over who was the better martial artist. So during there fight scence they both kinda went a little harder than they were supposed to. Couple real kicks here and there. At the end Chuck was amazed and said "wow he's fast". Can anyone confirm this?

I heard Chuck can suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

I also heard Bruce Lee can penetrate anything with his crane tongue move. can anyone verify if they both can fight in real life though?

Um....apparently you have overlooked the fack the Chuck Norris uses the TOTAL GYM.

Go ahead....feel stupid.

:)

Have any of you read that new book, Blood in the Cage?

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Cage-Martial-Miletich-Furious/dp/0618982612/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238182358&sr=8-1

awesome book.

anyway...in the book, the author interviews one of the older Gracie's....one of the top instructors who first came to the US from Brazil in the 70's.

well, in addition to teaching BJJ...he become so well known that he started doing training and stunt work for Hollywood....

and was hired to work on the Out For Justice set.

you have read this interview....basically, Gracie (who was like 60 at the time) was asked by alot of the crew if he could take Segal, even with all his akido training and stuff. He said "easily".

eventually it got back to Segal...who confronted him behind set. He suggested they go a quick sparring session to put it to rest....most of the movie crew gathered around and watched Gracie put Segal on the ground and choked him out in under 15 seconds.

when he came to....he tried again and Gracie put him down again, unconscious....it was at this point that Segal evidently "voided his bowels".

The author asked Gracie if he knew anyone who could verify this story and Gracie said "well, there were about 70 crewmen gathered around....you can find any of them."

the author did verify it....including the "voiding of the bowels".

The story is legendary in hollywood circles now.

Segal got choked out and crapped his pants...by a 60 year old BJJ expert.

you have to read the book.

Have any of you read that new book' date=' Blood in the Cage?

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Cage-Martial-Miletich-Furious/dp/0618982612/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238182358&sr=8-1

awesome book.

anyway...in the book, the author interviews one of the older Gracie's....one of the top instructors who first came to the US from Brazil in the 70's.

well, in addition to teaching BJJ...he become so well known that he started doing training and stunt work for Hollywood....

and was hired to work on the Out For Justice set.

you have read this interview....basically, Gracie (who was like 60 at the time) was asked by alot of the crew if he could take Segal, even with all his akido training and stuff. He said "easily".

eventually it got back to Segal...who confronted him behind set. He suggested they go a quick sparring session to put it to rest....most of the movie crew gathered around and watched Gracie put Segal on the ground and choked him out in under 15 seconds.

when he came to....he tried again and Gracie put him down again, unconscious....it was at this point that Segal evidently "voided his bowels".

The author asked Gracie if he knew anyone who could verify this story and Gracie said "well, there were about 70 crewmen gathered around....you can find any of them."

the author did verify it....including the "voiding of the bowels".

The story is legendary in hollywood circles now.

Segal got choked out and crapped his pants...by a 60 year old BJJ expert.

you have to read the book.[/quote']

Thanks for the interesting post. I did a bit of googling on it. Seems the event happened with a guy named name Gene Lebelle, a Judo guy. Heard conflicting reports, although all of them say he was choked out and let go of his bowels. Some versions say they actually sparred and Seagal got choked, while others say Seagal accepted a challenge to get out of a choke and couldn't. Can't say for sure what happened but it sounds like Gene Lebelle is a bad man as well. During my search there were also storis of Gene sparring with the late great Bruce Lee, succesfully. Apparently this is something Bruce never denied. Will have to do more reading on this guy to seperate fact from fiction.

**edit**

With all this talk I wanna throw up a great quote "When asked which is the better martial art, A or B, the answer will almost always be, whoever is best at they're respective style"

Got this off wikipedia

Gene LeBell (born October 9, 1932 in Los Angeles, California) is a former American judo champion, instructor, stunt performer, stunt coordinator, and professional wrestler. LeBell has worked on over 350 films and TV shows,[1] and has authored a number of books.

In 2000, he was promoted to 9th Dan in US Ju-Jitsu and US Taiho-Jutsu by the United States Ju-Jitsu Federation (USJJF). In February 2005, he was promoted to 9th Dan in Traditional Kodokan Judo by the USJJF.[2]

That is an impressive resume.

Thanks for the interesting post. I did a bit of googling on it. Seems the event happened with a guy named name Gene Lebelle' date=' a Judo guy. Heard conflicting reports, although all of them say he was choked out and let go of his bowels. Some versions say they actually sparred and Seagal got choked, while others say Seagal accepted a challenge to get out of a choke and couldn't. Can't say for sure what happened but it sounds like Gene Lebelle is a bad man as well. During my search there were also storis of Gene sparring with the late great Bruce Lee, succesfully. Apparently this is something Bruce never denied. Will have to do more reading on this guy to seperate fact from fiction.

**edit**

With all this talk I wanna throw up a great quote "When asked which is the better martial art, A or B, the answer will almost always be, whoever is best at they're respective style"[/quote']

sure it was Gene Labelle?

thought it was one of the gracies.

edit: yep...it was Gene. he did some training with the gracies though.

my bad....

i was on with the rest of the story though....

I'll reread that chapter....read it about a month ago.

Judo Gene LeBelle is one of Karo's mentor's. He "fought" many famous people ni his time. His career was ni full swing and maybe even on the down hill side befoer the Gracie's got here. They frequently challenged him, but he told them he should probably be fighting their dad, not them.

Chuck Norris got into martial arts because he used to go around offering to play that game some kids do of trading punches. I guess he didn't mind getting punched, so he figured since he liked fighting he should learn it properly. He also trains in BJJ, I think with the Machado's.

I am impressed with Aikido for self defense. I have heard it is like trying to punch a fan if the practitioner is good.

I like Segal's aikijutsu style, and it is impressive that he was the first non-Japanese to own a dojo in Japan. However, he looks as like Leo DiCaprio when he runs. Its kind of gross to watch.

He would win hands down in the Ogtagon if he was fighting his wife Kelly Le Brock. But he didn't need to get in the Octagon for that.

maybe he could fight Tim Sylvia and they could both crap their pants in the Octagon.

Poor Tmi, he reminds me of Charlie Brown. Can't ever win. I saw him on some hunting show with Randy Couture. They were both invited to hunt turkeys.

They were hiding in a blind, and when the turkeys were gathered, they were supposed to shoot on "3". Randy got excited and shot somewhere between "1" and "2". Tim got startled and shot the dirt, and Tim's turkey ran/flew off.

Judo Gene LeBelle is one of Karo's mentor's. He "fought" many famous people ni his time. His career was ni full swing and maybe even on the down hill side befoer the Gracie's got here. They frequently challenged him' date=' but he told them he should probably be fighting their dad, not them.

Chuck Norris got into martial arts because he used to go around offering to play that game some kids do of trading punches. I guess he didn't mind getting punched, so he figured since he liked fighting he should learn it properly. He also trains in BJJ, I think with the Machado's.

I am impressed with Aikido for self defense. I have heard it is like trying to punch a fan if the practitioner is good.

I like Segal's aikijutsu style, and it is impressive that he was the first non-Japanese to own a dojo in Japan. However, he looks as like Leo DiCaprio when he runs. Its kind of gross to watch.

He would win hands down in the Ogtagon if he was fighting his wife Kelly Le Brock. But he didn't need to get in the Octagon for that.[/quote']

The only reason Segal had a dojo in Japan is coz he was married to his senseis daughter.

I did Aikido for a year (and have a lot of respect for it), its great stuff against an untrained attacker... but against a skilled opponent fuggedaboudit!

• 1 year later...

Archived