Oldschool UFC question

Rampagefan09

My friend told me today that back when the UFC first started that you needed a blackbelt in something to be able to compete. Is this true? What about boxers/kickboxers? I've searched google and cant find anything on it but after watching a ton of older fights I'd be surprised to find out that some of those guys had black belts in anything.

My friend told me today that back when the UFC first started that you needed a blackbelt in something to be able to compete. Is this true? What about boxers/kickboxers? I've searched google and cant find anything on it but after watching a ton of older fights I'd be surprised to find out that some of those guys had black belts in anything.

That's not true at all. NYG mentioned Tank who was the best known of a whole group of guys whose disciplines were officially listed as "streetfighters" or "brawlers". Also, yes, there were boxers and others who weren't black belts as well.

WHAT?????

(twists Iwish's nipples)

Take it back.........

(twists harder)

TAKE IT BAAAACK.....

lol its true. Dont lie! Today we actually get to see skills, yesterday we got to see some freakshows, Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, a bit of Couture in his earliar years... and ummm.... some pretty bad fights lol. Now a days we have awesome stuff to look forward to.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm Dream... 'Mouth waters in excitement' and good UFC divisions 'Mouth waters again in excitement'... Yeah today is definitely better then yesterday.

lol its true. Dont lie! Today we actually get to see skills' date=' yesterday we got to see some freakshows, Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, a bit of Couture in his earliar years... and ummm.... some pretty bad fights lol. Now a days we have awesome stuff to look forward to.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm Dream... 'Mouth waters in excitement' and good UFC divisions 'Mouth waters again in excitement'... Yeah today is definitely better then yesterday.[/quote']

**Shawn grabs Iwish, shakes him, and slaps hims across the face to knock some sense into him....then stops"

I keep forgetting you are younger then me. For me, early ufc was me and my friends chilling with a case of beer in moms basement (good chance i was under age) yelling and screaming for blood. Of course there was VERY little skill, but hell was it exciting. So I have a HUGE soft spot for those good old days :)

**Shawn grabs Iwish' date=' shakes him, and slaps hims across the face to knock some sense into him....then stops"

I keep forgetting you are younger then me. For me, early ufc was me and my friends chilling with a case of beer in moms basement (good chance i was under age) yelling and screaming for blood. Of course there was VERY little skill, but hell was it exciting. So I have a HUGE soft spot for those good old days :)[/quote']

LOL I guess for a blood sport it makes sense. But for a true MMA match it was like watching snails compete for salt.

It is true. You needed a black belt from Old Navy to compete in UFC back in the day.

This is true. I read about it on Old Navy dot com. It was some solid stuff back in the days when Old Navy had the best clothesman fighting it out!

Classic Early UFC moments and matches

1 Kimo vs Gracie (whole match)

2 Pat Smith in the mount feeding whats his face.

3 Hackney the Giant Killer Baby

4 The guy who sang "under pressure", sorry i mean dan severn

5 The guy in the black Gi elbowing some guy in the face 435789245 times

6 Pat Smith all pissy about a shamrock ankle lock

7 The clown who actually wore a friggin boxing glove in the ring

8 A football playing announcer

9 Beneteau being from my city

10 Refs waaaaay worse (in ufc 1) then anything we have now

Archived