how do you fight?

raoullduke

if your like me it'll be a long time since you fought last, whether it was on a playground, bar car park, or in some sporting contest. but did you have a style or basic strategy?

i haven't been in a fight in years, which scares me. as i know one day soon it will happen. and i'll probably be out of practise and useless. watching all those UFC's won't have helped at all.

i've never done martial arts in a sporting sense, and never had a style as such only a basic fighting ethos. when i was younger i was a real ***** and afraid to fight and useless once a fight actauly started. as i got older and was fighting more often i got a bit more skilled but i always felt like the underdog going into fight.

my basic strategy was simple, i'm gonna take a beating here but i'm gonna leave this guy something to remember me by. diplomatic disscusuions have broken down, my air space has been invaded. don't declare war, don't strengthen your defences, or seek international sanctions. NUKE THE BASTARDS hit them with everything you have, and hit them with it quick. operation shock and awe is in efect, feign inaction, then bang an all out asault on their headquarters. headbuts punch's elbows, whatever it took. try to end the fight before it starts.

wasn't pefect, but it was reasuring knowing it was there. i honestly don't know if i could let go like that at the drop of a hat anymore.

a fight is to long for what the situation calls for. just get dirty and cripple them, cause as much pain for as long as possible. that way there is no fight, only their horrible mistake in thinking you have anything holding you back from doing what they are to squeamish to even think of what you are prepared to do if some maggot wants to just start something for no reason. and i do not mean a punk spewing bs out of his mouth, one grab or swing is all you need to be threatened. so, dirty & meaner.

a fight is to long for what the situation calls for. just get dirty and cripple them' date=' cause as much pain for as long as possible. that way there is no fight, only their horrible mistake in thinking you have anything holding you back from doing what they are to squeamish to even think of what you are prepared to do if some maggot wants to just start something for no reason. and i do not mean a punk spewing bs out of his mouth, one grab or swing is all you need to be threatened. so, dirty & meaner.[/quote']

i like it.

I've never been in a regulated MMA fight. I have been in a few street/bar fights, but not in at least 8 years. I wrestled for 13 years and wrestled for one year in NCAA div I, have practiced a little Sambo, and also have quite a bit of freestyle and greco Roman wrestling experience. In my fights I liked to strike to get close so I could throw or slam my enemy, even taking punches so I could get a hold of them. Those days are long gone and I would try to avoid fighting at all cost today. I like to think I would have held my own in an octagon :)

if your like me it'll be a long time since you fought last' date=' whether it was on a playground, bar car park, or in some sporting contest. but did you have a style or basic strategy?

i haven't been in a fight in years, which scares me. as i know one day soon it will happen. and i'll probably be out of practise and useless. watching all those UFC's won't have helped at all.

i've never done martial arts in a sporting sense, and never had a style as such only a basic fighting ethos. when i was younger i was a real ***** and afraid to fight and useless once a fight actauly started. as i got older and was fighting more often i got a bit more skilled but i always felt like the underdog going into fight.

my basic strategy was simple, i'm gonna take a beating here but i'm gonna leave this guy something to remember me by. diplomatic disscusuions have broken down, my air space has been invaded. don't declare war, don't strengthen your defences, or seek international sanctions. NUKE THE BASTARDS hit them with everything you have, and hit them with it quick. operation shock and awe is in efect, feign inaction, then bang an all out asault on their headquarters. headbuts punch's elbows, whatever it took. try to end the fight before it starts.

wasn't pefect, but it was reasuring knowing it was there. i honestly don't know if i could let go like that at the drop of a hat anymore.[/quote']

If you don't feel you have it, aviod it at all cost. I'm damn near 30 years old and still feel like i'm invincible. And YES at any moment it can happen. Long story short (haven't been in a street fight 4-5 years prior to this). Me and my buddies are leaving the bar with our long standing girlfriends about 2 months ago. Our DD (who is pregnant) starts getting harrased by some chick. The girl and her friend jump on the pregnant chick so my girl and my buddies girl jump on them. Well this BIG MEAT HEAD (who the guys im with know) gets out of his car tossing our girls around BODY SLAMS one of the chicks. Needless to say he turned towards me so i threw a right then a left (just getting my distance) and then BOMBED another right then left. He fell. The incident in all lasted 5-10 minutes. There was a lot more to the fight (but im trying to give the quicky), the cops came and in the end we all got to go home with no charges.

Moral is - We went out having a good night expecting nothing out of the ordinary, and BAM there it is, a fight out of left field. Its best to be prepared then not!

I was in a few fights. Its been a long time since I've had one though. When I did fight, I'd try to wrestle. I was pretty strong for my size and guys would underestimate me. Now that I'm older, I've taken some MMA and jiu jitsu classes. I don't know what I'd do. I try to avoid it at all costs, but wrestling is instinct. But now I'd try to sink in a rear naked choke. (My favorite move).

i have done 3 year of boxing and 5 year of karate, i like to counter and use the weith of my opponent to make my hit more efficient.

I like the challenge to fight in a dojo or with friend in a ring but im not a pro fighter i just like mma . i have fight a lot when i was kid 18 - . But when u have see people die by punch u realise what kind of power u got in ur hand when u hit someone and u train for hit hard .

Karate taugh me 1 good things and that why i realy like mma , RESPECT is realy important in every combat style. when u see 2 fighter like gsp and fitch hug each other after a hard fight im realy happy how the mma is going now !

i have done 3 year of boxing and 5 year of karate, i like to counter and use the weith of my opponent to make my hit more efficient.

I like the challenge to fight in a dojo or with friend in a ring but im not a pro fighter i just like mma . i have fight a lot when i was kid 18 - . But when u have see people die by punch u realise what kind of power u got in ur hand when u hit someone and u train for hit hard .

Karate taugh me 1 good things and that why i realy like mma , RESPECT is realy important in every combat style. when u see 2 fighter like gsp and fitch hug each other after a hard fight im realy happy how the mma is going now !

I also try to avoid at all costs, but things do break down sometimes the way he described.

I like to establish the range and back the opponent up with a jab.

Then take whatever is open. If I can throw or smash them against something, that is usually very discouraging for someone.

i think it really comes down to knowing yourself (your strengths and limitations) and quickly figuring out your "opponent" or attacker (their apparent strengths and weaknesses).

be fluid and adapt.

i can't say i have been in very many fights in my life (maybe 3) and none of them were "blood-splattering, one guy goes down and stays down, to the end" type of fights.

personally, i would rather avoid if possible....or always used to.

since getting married and having a kid....my mentality has kind of changed. you really get that primal instinct of "protecting your loved ones and asserting yourself" kicking in.

thus, i have become more aggressive and more interested in the fighting arts and self defense over the past few years.

i wrestled for years in junior high and some high school, and was decent (i loved wrestling, just hated the idea of competition). i was and still am pretty competent with body control and controlling someone on the ground, at takedowns (though a little rusty at that), and have always been deceptively strong for my size. (i'm about 6', but weigh about 160lbs soaking wet...but i bench around 245 or so and punch like a ton of bricks with good form)

with no time or extra $$ to train at a good quality MMA gym around here...I have kinda taken matters into my own hands for the most part.

i have a few heavy bags of different sizes for punching, kicking and groundNpound stuff in the my basement and a mat.

i read alot and watch plenty of instructional stuff....and practice with friends on occasion (but not nearly enough).

at this point...i know what i can and can't do (which is the most important thing to know).

Against someone my approx. size or smaller (weight being the bigger issue):

•i know i have limited defense in stand up punching (due to lack of training), but can hit very hard and accurate, and very fast.

•i have taken shots, hard shots...and know that my adrenaline and a strong chin let me get though most pain for a time from most people my size or smaller.

•I know i can probably physically dominate anyone around my size because i am probably stronger and can be more aggressive. i can get into a clinch quickly to gain control...from which i can swing some hard knees, land dirty elbows, or take him down with a sweep, etc.

•i know i can take down anyone around my size. My roomate in college (who was 6 inches taller and about 50lbs heavier) could not believe it when he tried pushing me around and i picked him up and slammed him across the room. we got into it again the following year and i broke his shoulder.

•i know i can quickly move to a guard position on the ground if taken down, and avoid head shots, and very quickly move to arm bar or triangle position. (practiced that alot)

i'm pretty confident i could end those quickly

against someone decidedly bigger than me:

• i can't take many of his shots, if any, head on. I'd go down quick.

•i cannot overpower or take him down easily. must avoid clinch unless i am certain i can get some dirty shots in before he drags me down and overpowers. (not easy)

• need to stay outside of his range and use my speed to keep him back with jabs and movement, quick kicks to shins and knees, back of knees...the only hard shots i should try and land are MONEY shots: across chin, nose, eyes, throat, or groin. if i get into trading blows, i'm probably done.

•if taken down or tackled, am still pretty confident that i could roll out to get a choke or get to a guard position with his hands pinned to me and get to an arm bar position quickly.

^obviously that situation, the odds are stacked against me. This is why i usually carry around a 6 inch switch blade to give them something to think about before coming at me...and have a pair of brass knuckles i keep with me if I'm in a situation where something could go down. i do not want to use either of them...and would be facing some serious legal issues if i did....but that's better than getting my face turned to hamburger, or failing to protect those i care about....plus, my pride matters too.

above all, i know i have weak lungs and need to finish ANYthing i get into quickly.

Also, you need to figure out quickly what your aggressors likely strengths and weaknesses are compared to you.

how are they approaching you? in what stance...this tips thier style.

•do they just have thier hands out and yelling obscenities at you? they probably have no real style and will just start swinging with little technique. you should have an advantage.

• do they have thier hands up in a proper stance and guard? if so, they have some kind of training or experience. this won't be easy....quickly stick to what you are good at and try to end it quickly

• are they in a low posture...like a grappler or wrestler? if so....stay off the ground, you'll probably get pummeled unless you are really confident in your ground skills. stay up avoid his take downs and jab the living **** out of his face and keep dancing, waiting for a chance to get a money shot in. Really try to avoid these guys. wrestler/grapplers are just so good at what they do, and have alot of experience....you're probably gonna lose unless you get in a really good cheap/money shot (eyes, throat, groin)...

The Q, I found your post really informative. In reality, while I'm sure training does kick in somewhere along the line, most the fights I've witnessed have been between drunk guys swinging widly.

I've been clocked once in a nightclub, totally didn't see it coming and landed on my butt laughing. I have no interest in fighting outside the ring.

• 1 year later...

I'd just avoid there punches as best i can and then take them down and try to choke them out, things like Armbars and Kimuras are pointless, i dont really want to snap anyones arm and if you dont they will just try and beat on you for letting them go, Choke is definately the way to go, also on the ground you wont take much damage, i dont want to ruin my pretty face ;)

I'd just avoid there punches as best i can and then take them down and try to choke them out' date=' things like Armbars and Kimuras are pointless, i dont really want to snap anyones arm and if you dont they will just try and beat on you for letting them go, Choke is definately the way to go, also on the ground you wont take much damage, i dont want to ruin my pretty face ;)[/quote']

One time I used my ground game to dominate a fight and then his friend soccer kicked me in the face when I had mount. I might as well have been knocked out I dropped and was then literally stomped unconscious.

Going to the ground is not a good idea unless you are in a sanctioned fight. When guys start getting their **** whooped a friend is bound to jump in and usually you don't see it coming.

Despite my only formal training being in BJJ I will keep a street fight standing from now on. I've been knocked out and I have also had a fight stopped prematurely because I jumped guard (like an idiot) looking for a triangle. I ate 2 decent punches before I got wrist control and as soon as I did it was broken up by about a dozen people dragging us in different directions.

One time I used my ground game to dominate a fight and then his friend soccer kicked me in the face when I had mount. I might as well have been knocked out I dropped and was then literally stomped unconscious.

Going to the ground is not a good idea unless you are in a sanctioned fight. When guys start getting their **** whooped a friend is bound to jump in and usually you don't see it coming.

Despite my only formal training being in BJJ I will keep a street fight standing from now on. I've been knocked out and I have also had a fight stopped prematurely because I jumped guard (like an idiot) looking for a triangle. I ate 2 decent punches before I got wrist control and as soon as I did it was broken up by about a dozen people dragging us in different directions.

Yea, i've only had a fight once and that time i took him to the ground and choked him out, but his friends didnt jump in and knock me out, they just pulled me off him before he went out, I was lucky but to be honest, if he had a bunch of friends with him i'd try to avoid the fight at all costs

Yea' date=' i've only had a fight once and that time i took him to the ground and choked him out, but his friends didnt jump in and knock me out, they just pulled me off him before he went out, I was lucky but to be honest, [b']if he had a bunch of friends with him i'd try to avoid the fight at all costs[/b]

That's the thing though and one of the reasons I don't watch MMA events at bars anymore. I didn't know this clown and didn't know who his friends were or how many of them he was with. I just knew that some drunken redneck was swinging on me and the first thought was "take him down, mount and then blast away until he's out or turns his back"

Take him down, mount and pound away was working for about 12 to 15 seconds before I woke up bleeding all over myself.

Archived