Managers and Agents Backstage

flyangler

Why no article on the UFC site about Dana White trying to disarm his fighters when it comes time to negotiations. Why should fighter be able to negotiate their contracts' date=' Dana will pay you what he wants, and if you don't like it FU.[/quote']

Everyone should be able to negotiate any part of their contract. Its a pretty basic right I think. Otherwise they will get shafted, as the company makes mega bucks. They are the ppl that we pay - albeit indirectly - to see, so why should they not benefit from it? I love the glitz and glamour, but at the end of the day I would still watch the fights without it, so I would want them to get the money, same as any sportsman.

One point is that some people have more of a draw than others, and will be able to demand better pay.

Thats the way of the world my friend - the "Western" world at least. Capitalism all the way!

What does your thread title have to do with what you just wrote? Seriously, what do you know about who or how fighter contracts are negotiated?

If you want an answer to back stage access, see Dana's blog yesterday when he tells Loretta Hunt what he thinks about her story...

Most (90%) of the fighters in the UFC would be drunken bums getting in to bar brawls and getting up at 5 am to get to their 15 dollar and hr. constuction jobs if it wasnt for the UFC

Getting your head kicked in by making a living as a fighter (and lets face it even the best take punishment) is a reality and a occupational hazard so if anyone doesnt feel like they are being paid enough they can always leave the fight life.

Most (90%) of the fighters in the UFC would be drunken bums getting in to bar brawls and getting up at 5 am to get to their 15 dollar and hr. constuction jobs if it wasnt for the UFC

Getting your head kicked in by making a living as a fighter (and lets face it even the best take punishment) is a reality and a occupational hazard so if anyone doesnt feel like they are being paid enough they can always leave the fight life.

I disagree about what you think most fighters would be. Many would be productive members of society. don't let the junie Brownings overshadow the Rich Franklins.

Why no article on the UFC site about Dana White trying to disarm his fighters when it comes time to negotiations. Why should fighter be able to negotiate their contracts' date=' Dana will pay you what he wants, and if you don't like it FU.[/quote']

What does Managers and Agent being backstage at fights have to do with negotiations? I would think they had already come to a purse agreement before the night of the fights.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/some-managers-agents-lose-backstage-pass-16813

The thread starter seems to think that if the managers and agents are not allowed free rides to UFC events tht the fighters they represent will not get paid??

................... well if that is what it is about....

UFC fighters dont even need Agents. They can do everything themselves unless they have problems understanding what numbers and letters mean. Agents are for people who are too lazy or dont have time to do important things, so they get their agent to find them work, negotiate pays, etc. They also take a solid chunk of your money for NO REASON. They dont do anything that is overly important, so IMO (I believe Dana mentioned this as well) there is no use for Agents in the UFC, or for UFC fighters.

This reminds me of the wookie defense on South Park. It just DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

I disagree about what you think most fighters would be. Many would be productive members of society. don't let the junie Brownings overshadow the Rich Franklins.

i agree 100%. Ignorant people, there are many, think that the typical UFC fighter is a dumb alcoholic rednecks, whos' only skill is swinging his fists and the typical fan is the same minus the swinging fists. These fighters dedicate themselves 100% and study their disciplines daily. Most of these guys have been studying various forms of martial arts since early childhood, as well as the wrestlers who have excelled at every level. They didn't stumble onto this talent, they have earned it with hard work. They don't get pounded in there skulls for fifteen rounds and have their brains turned to mush like boxers. It's a grind in the octagon until two or three good punches or a submission with a referee stoppage. Look at Kenny Florian and Frank Mir, two excellent commentators for their sport. Now granted, it is "their sport" but you can tell that these are two very well spoken individuals who explain things well and work hard at it.

I'm rambling a bit but it's something i'm tired of hearing. I know i'm right in thinking that when these people open their mouths and talk about how "those people" are ignorant, it's just reflects THEIR ignorance even brighter.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/some-managers-agents-lose-backstage-pass-16813

The thread starter seems to think that if the managers and agents are not allowed free rides to UFC events tht the fighters they represent will not get paid??

The thread starter was refering to this article. Is it not a way to try and distance the athletes from their agents and management? Everyone knows Danas' business practices. And his reaction pretty much proves his intentions. If that weren't the case he would have responded to the allegations when contacted. However if the agents and management have not been denied credentials, than the reporter is a F%^#$^ *****. I was just wondering why there is no article about this on this site if infact it was not true?

To me treating employees like crap and trying to lowball contracts by taking away their negotiators is bad business. I don't like agents either but all professional athletes have them

Every fighter is given a certain number of credentials. Who they give those to is up to the fighter. If they give them to the their corners then that's who they give them too, if they give one to their manager/agent then they get backstage, simple as that.

Archived